Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    I'm not sure about the 1 degree incline, but I do agree that these heavy doors can be pretty aggressive! If you do not hit the detent and steady the door there, they do aggressively shut. My kids do not like the TL doors! Yes, we've all been bitten... :sick:

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• taxesquiretaxesquire Posts: 681
    I'd like to see Acura do away with some of the double and triple activation features of the audio and climate systems

What do you mean? You don't want the seering wheel radio controls? What is the double-activation feature on the climate control? :confuse: Are you counting voice recognition?

I'm only commenting becasue I like the controls you're complaining about. :)
    I just passed a full-year with my TL and neither I nor my son has had a door-closng issue :D
    Congrats! But don't get cocky, kid! Those doors are out there. And they are hungry! :D

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I agree with you completely. The doors are way too springy. I've been "assaulted" a few times. God help you if you're entering or exiting carrying a cup of hot Starbucks and you don't hit the detent...... :cry: :sick:

(I wonder why no one has introduced power-closing doors like they do for trunks and hatches?) :confuse:
  • Can anyone help me to reset the oil maintenance minder? Moved to Belgium, took my TL, but to get my request across in French to the Honda dealer who doesn't even sell a TL....argh!
    As for the gent having problems with his '06, I have not had any problems and have put my '04 TL A-spec through it paces from horrible Belgian roads to the Autobahn in Germany. A great car!! I do miss my friends at Oakland Acura. Never a problem, they set the bar for service.

Any assistance is appreciate with the M-Minder. :confuse:
  • jrourkejrourke Posts: 72
    I just assumed that the "extended warranty" was an extension of the same bumper-bumper 4/50K warranty that is standard with the car. A person told me that is not always the case with car manufacturers and sometimes is more of a "service warranty" and as such had more exclusions than the original.

Was wondering about the Accura version? (I haven't bought a car or warranty yet, so don't have a contract to read but am considering the extras that will come up in purchase discussions)
  • ezracerezracer Posts: 24
    Your owners manual will tell you how to do it !!
    you get the maintenance minder up on the screen and then you do 1 of the following (I forget which one)

1- press the reset button repeatedly; or,
    2- press and hold the rest button

in 5-10 sec.s, the screen should change. Scroll around to see if the minder comes back, and if it does, then follow instruction 1 or 2 again.
  • Ok belgiumtl, so inquiring minds want to know....how does your TL handle on the Autobahn??!?! How fast did you go? Did you push the top end of the car? My 9 year old keeps asking me how fast my 6SP TL will go and I tell him somewhere between 140-150, but I really don't know. I wish I could take it to Germany.
  • Does anyone know what changes are in store for next years model? cooled seats? etc?
  • clipper1clipper1 Posts: 70
    OK folks -- when the heck is the 2007 model appearing?
  • buyer777buyer777 Posts: 70
    I test drove a TL the other day on local roads. The ride was, I guess "firm", at least firmer than I am used to. Road was not great, NJ, but not bad. I felt more than I usually due in my old 97 Intrepid. How does that translate to the highway, i iften have to do 1-3 highway trips...thoughts?
    First of all, the struts on your Intrepid are probably " 1/2 shot " thus producing a softer than normal ride. Then, you get into a TL. Yes, the TL has a firm, but controlled ( well absorbed ) ride. For a front drive vehicle, it is a " handler " , not like your Intrepid OR my old 2000 Maxima. IMHO, the TL has an excellent highway ride.

Even though I drove (5) different TL's for test drives, I still noticed different ride and handling characteristics AFTER I bought the car. Here's the best piece of advice I can give you ( this is going to be difficult )...........test drive the car on KNOWN roads, namely, the very roads you use every day to go to work. The very first day I drove my TL to work I thought, gee, I never noticed this bump or that dip before !!!

Call a dealer ahead of time and arrange to have a test vehicle for several hours...preferably WITHOUT the sales guy.

ps: OR, just buy the car!! You won't be sorry :)
  • dr_gdr_g Posts: 21
    I know what you're talking about. I just moved from a Ford Contour SE to a new TL (big upgrade in class). The Contour drove remarkably smooth and had ridiculous handling skills. The whole reason in me buying a TL was so I would have a "big-boat" I wouldn't want to tinker with and peel around corners with (relative to the Contour).

The TL is smooth as silk on well paved roads - guess that's my impression moving from a Ford to a Japanese car. But it does seem to accentuate large abberations in the road more than my Contour did (despite the Contour having a significantly shorter wheelbase).

Well at least I know the TL is communicating the road to me better than I expected it would. I would rather feel a few more bumps than drive a boat like a Camry and not know when I was driving out of lane.
    I agree.

I came from a '99 Chrysler 300M (great car!). The M gave a smoother ride, with very decent handling. One thing I like about my TL (great car!) is the much "tighter" feeling in the handling dept. The trade-off is a less smooth ride than the M. But I purchased the TL over a G35 because (among other reasons) the TL had a smoother, quieter ride than the G. The G's handling was even tighter than the TL, but the ride (and road/wind noise) trade-off was more than I was willing to live with. So, it's all relative and too each...!

Did I mention that the TL is a great car! Can't wait to apply my first new coat of Zaino this spring...

Oh, yeah. The evil, heavy door got me again this morning. As I was lowering myself into the driver's seat, door moved and hit my ear. I guess it was beyond the first detent a bit. Ouch. Evil door.

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm pretty sure I would hit the door back. And then I would have a hurt hand as well as a hurt ear. :sick:
  • lol - bought my TL last month after driving a Camry for the last 10 years. Do notice many more bumps in the TL, but gladly swap that for the power and handling. Plus, the TL is smoother than other cars in its percieved class.
  • dr_gdr_g Posts: 21
    I really like the looks for the G35 coupe (that tail is distintive from ¼ mile away) - the TL looks better G35 sedan because of the raked look.

I only drove the G35 twice and both times noticed that the enjoy noise was quite loud (remember I was driving a Ford Contour at this point - so a $36K car shouldn't be that loud unless it was Auto-X material). The controls on the Acura seemed more intuitive (those stand-up push buttons on the Infiniti didn't sit right with me). The Navigation on the TL is what won me over (just wish it had real-time traffic updates which is greatly needed here in So-Cal).

Biggest gripe after 3 days of ownership is that the rear visibility is kinda lacking - of course the G35 and IS350 were just as bad. What's the deal with making cars that had poor visibility. All the road-hugging sportiness in the world is useless if you can't tell when you can do a quick change :confuse:
    Well........my wife drove my new TL for the first time yesterday. She was getting into the car and wasn't quite all the way in when suddenly, without warning the door started to close on her. OOPS! :(

I told her to think of the football fans that chant " Defense, Defense ". When you are getting in or out of a TL it's " DETENTS, DETENTS ". ;)

Actually, after (4) weeks of ownership, I've already gotten accustomed to the doors.