Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Congratulations on the new TL. I have an identical 2004 model, anthracite/ebony, 6-speed, navi, (also HPT tires).

(1) You are right about 6th gear - it is strictly for cruising once you get up to speed (65+). Even 5th gear is too high to allow for much acceleration. I really notice this now that we have a 911S, in which it's 6th gear runs at higher RPM's at 70 than the TL. The 911 is designed to reach top speed (182) at redline (7,200) in 6th. The TL is geared, I presume, for fuel economy, although if you are not going 70+ in 6th, I find that fuel economy suffers as the car "lugs" up hills at lower speeds.

(2) I presume you were told that during break-in you are supposed to vary speeds / engine RPM's and NOT use cruise control.

(3) I would NOT recommend adding any transmission additive because of 1-2 gear notchiness. I have no such issue, but I do recall it feeling a little rough compared to our other/previous cars when the TL was new. Wait until you break in the clutch and engine before you make any final decision.

Enjoy your new ride.
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Posts: 74
    I didn't use the cruise on the way home but ran it in 6th gear while on the highway and tried to moderate speeds between 68-74. I pulled over a couple of times just to give the engine a change. I hope this was okay.
    Probably fine. I picked up our TL at our hometown dealer, 375 miles away. In driving it home, I varied the speed from 55 to 75 and ran it in 5th gear for some 60 mph stretches, to further vary the RPMs.

The other thing my Porsche dealer advocates is to not drive the car for lots of short hops during the breakin period. His rule: turn the key on for a minimum of 20 minutes of driving. That way, all of the engine parts, seals, etc. reach full operating temperature and expand and contract through their full range. You could probably get away with 10-15 minutes on the TL, since the 911 has 9+ quarts of Mobil 1 to heat up.

Lots of folks don't think newer, non-high performance cars need much of a break in procedure. But I think its a good idea whether it's a Porsche or an Acura.
  • cecilt1cecilt1 Posts: 74
    I've heard that new car break in periods are overrated and that many people say to drive them as you would a month from now. My main thing not to do is redline it or make multiple hard starts in 1st gear.

The shifting in the TL between 1-2 is horrendous. I read that most people find this to be the case on the 6 speed and I have to agree with them. The solution that has been posted here was to drain the Honda fluid and put in GM Syncromesh Friction Modified fluid. People who have done it said it felt like a new car and the shifting was like butter. If mine doesn't get smoother I'm going to do this. I can get it to be smooth but it takes effort and I can't stand the jerk when going between 1-2.
    "I've heard that new car break in periods are overrated and that many people say to drive them as you would a month from now."

I've heard the same thing, but generally from people that I wouldn't buy a used car from.

But when I heard the same break in recommendations for my 911 (and previous Honda S2000) from a Porsche factory engineer, a former Porsche race team member, a Honda racing team engineer, and a friend with an MS in ME and Material Science, I figured they couldn't all be part of an anal retentive conspiracy.

Does the TL 6-speed need to be treated with the same care as a 911 or Honda S2000? Probably not. But it wasn't that hard to do it, so I did.

"The shifting in the TL between 1-2 is horrendous. I read that most people find this to be the case on the 6 speed and I have to agree with them. The solution that has been posted here was to drain the Honda fluid and put in GM Syncromesh Friction Modified fluid. People who have done it said it felt like a new car and the shifting was like butter."

Whether it's my particular car or my definition of "horrendous", I do not find the 1-2 shift to qualify for that description. And, perhaps this is my bias showing through, but I don't exactly consider GM to be a leader in manual transmissions. Nor do I particularly want a car that shifts like "butter". That sounds too much like a Buick/Lexus suspension with no steering feedback. I want a firm engagement with positive feedback and that I can feel and control. My 911 is perfect in this regard. Most BMW's I've driven are very good. My former Honda S2000 was very good. My TL 6-speed is fair to good. Personally, my gripe with Honda/Acura compared to Porsche/BMW is a slightly mushy clutch that can slip as it partially engages under hard acceleration. It makes it easy for someone who has never driven the car to hop in and take off without doing the herky jerky. But I'd rather have more positive engagement and accept the fact that it requires a learning curve to get the feel for it. To each there own.
  • ashahddsashahdds Posts: 4
    Do the 05 and 06's TL's have tranny issues as the 99-04 models have, or is it too early to tell? acura claims that the trannies are redesigned, but I dont think they are all that different, plus they will say anything to sell the darn car. Is the transmission really that different from the past years.
  • hkyhky Posts: 71
    From consumer report, 04 transmission is half red 05 is full red 06 is too early to tell; from 99 - half black turns full black till 03. Since TL is a popular car with decent volume, I think the consumer report statistics reflect some improvement from owners.
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    Do the 05 and 06's TL's have tranny issues as the 99-04 models have, or is it too early to tell?

The TL was redesigned for '04, so the comparison should be with '99-'03.

A few early '04 models had a problem with second gear if I recall. That issues was resolved quickly. My '04 (mid year) has had no issues with the tranny or anything else for that matter.
    Is the transmission really that different from the past years.

The 6-speed sure is (different) and, in addition to eliminating the automatic transmission worries, it is a heck of a lot more fun to drive. We live in DC and my wife has no difficulty whatsoever shuttling our kids around in it. She actually prefers driving it to her MDX for times when she isn't carrying extra kids/cargo. So, IMO, there is no reason for anyone not to at least try the 6-speed. :)

We have friends with a 2004 TL auto (that was the first model year of the new TL) that has had some problems with rough shifting in cold weather. It was supposedly "re-programmed" a couple of months ago and shifts are smoother. I had a heck of a time trying to research whether our 2005 MDX had a new transmission design from earlier years and, although I was told by my otherwise trustworthy service manager that it did, am still not completely confident. We will likely get an extended warranty if we decide to keep the vehicle (which has been great in so far).
  • goodegggoodegg Posts: 905
    I had the body side molding put on as part of the sale

I had the BSM put on too. I think they look fine, and one ward-off of a potential dinger was enough for me to get them. Actually negotiated their install as part of the sale price of the car.
  • kat101kat101 Posts: 14
    Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a White or Silver TL. My wife likes the white, but I'm concerned about bumper discoloration. There is a white TL at work and the bumper is noticeable discolor - I'm wondering if it was due to an accident and a poor re-paint, or if this is something that happens to white TL's.

Thanks
  • tlsharktlshark Posts: 21
    I have also noticed this on "white TL's". most of them seem to happen on the back bumpers, but i still noticed a few with the front too.

my next door neighbor has a white with tan Tl and his back bumper has a "yellowish" appearance.

I think that its the plastic acura uses, because his rear bumper has a dime size chip and the plastic is black. I really do think that is causing the problem with the white.
    It will happen with any color car, but u just wont notice it because all the other colors are darker :shades:
  • dmarcus48dmarcus48 Posts: 139
    This is a fairly common complaint with the white TL's. I'm active on a couple of acura forums and have heard about this mismatch from many posts. I've had an Alabaster Silver for about six weeks and love it. Common color, alabaster silver is new for 06, but from a distance looks the same as the satin silver previously available. Doesn't show dirt, a breeze to clean.

Dave
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Silver has been known to become discolored too.
    Acura needs to make their front and back bumpers out of the same metal as the body to avoid discolor. using a black plastic is kinda stupid. But its cheaper for repair/replacement.
  • clipper1clipper1 Posts: 70
    Anyone hear when the '07 will appear???
    Metal bumpers? I don't know about that!
    a light thin metal would be better than having a discolored platic bumper dont u think?
  • djp2104djp2104 Posts: 11
    I'm seriously considering the TL or the Lexus 350. Sorry for not paying attention, but what's the rumor on the next TL? I may want to hold off for a while.
    It would get lots of dings and dents in a hurry, I would think. :cry: