Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    See having a manual transmission car is even a theft Deterrent :surprise:
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "We still haven't figured out why the windows were rolled down and the radio was set at full blast.'

If it was a car thief, he would have to be a bit of a moron to try to attract attention while trying to steal a car. :confuse:

Where do you keep your valet key? Inside the car? How did he managed to get in, if your car was locked?

(Do you have a teenaged son who needed a ride for prom? ;) )
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Not sure from where and when the valet key was taken. Never use it myself and can't remember last time I even saw it. It's possible that I left it in the glove compartment with the owners manual and it had been taken weeks or months ago without my knowledge.

As far as the windows being rolled down and radio on full blast, on a well lit street, no less, that's still a mystery. Prank? Perhaps, but we don't have many high school boys living on our immediate neighborhood, let alone my house. Plus, if the cops caught him, they would have charged him with attempted car theft, a felony being prosecuted in adult court. Not much humor in that.

In any event, I've made sure all of the keys to our 911 are accounted for. My 9 year old daughter proclaimed the thief was pretty dumb for trying to take the TL instead of the Porsche. :surprise:
  • british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Well it is easier to fence the TL then the 911 but the 911 would be a better joy ride car.
    I'm sure your 911 was garaged, which no doubt was a factor.

Or...perhaps you had pissed off the kid at the Acura dealer who washes your car when you bring it in for service? ;)
  • thechiefthechief Posts: 2
    Hi Habitat1 - as a proud owner of a Legend GS 6 speed for the past 9 years, I'd love to hear your comparison to your TL. I've driven the TL and to me it is a downgrade to the Legend in terms of quality and style. Of course, in objective measures, the TL is a better car, but subjectively I'll take the Legend. What made you sell your Legend?

Dave
  • voxboyvoxboy Posts: 30
    I wish my TL handled more like my wife's TSX. Anyone have any advice what I can change or add to make it feel more nimble?
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    Try a Progress Rear Sway Bar.
    Ah, the Legend GS 6-speed.

I bought a nearly new 1994 Legend GS 6-speed at a great price from a friend who was being transferred to Europe by his company. But then, after only 2 months in Europe, he got recalled to an even better promotion in the states. We were able to unravel the deal without paying sales taxes, so I gave the car back to him, and bought my 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed that I still have to this day at our second home.

It's been a long time since I drove that GS 6-speed, so my memory is sketchy at best. As I recall, it was definitely more luxurious than my Maxima, but about the same in quickness and handling. It would be hard to directly compare to my 2004 TL 6-speed, but, IMO, the Legend was a more solidly built car compared to its competition of the day than the TL is.

I lost touch with the friend who had the Legend until about a year ago. He is now president of a real estate company in Texas and has done very well - if a $4 million vacation home in Jackson Hole is any measure. He kept that Legend and handed it down to his son who is now in his second year of college. It had over 150,000 miles as of last year, as does my 1995 Maxima. Acura and Nissan may have a lot more techno do-dads in their cars today, but I doubt they are any better than those vintage models in build quality and durability.

P.S. I joked with my friend that I guess he has progressed past Acura in "status". He replied, "quite the contrary, my next vehicle will be a Honda". Honda
    "...has done very well - if a $4 million vacation home in Jackson Hole is any measure."

Hmm...not necessarily. There's a chap named Conrad Black. Big spender, gorgeous wife, multi-million $ Park Ave apartments.....
    Oh, plenty of guys have done better. A certain first year B-School student that I tutored probability and statistics to when I was a second year student (early 1980's) has managed to get himself on the top half of the Forbes 400 list. After a lengthy stint at Goldman Sachs (aka Golden Slacks) he started a hedge fund and each of the past 3-4 years has placed above George Soros on the list of the 10 highest paid hedge fund managers (good for about $500 million last year alone). And, to the best of my knowledge, he will not be joining the ranks of Conrad Black or the Enron gang types anytime soon.

But I still think paying $4 million cash for a vacation home in Jackson Hole qualifies as "very well". Hell, I'm thrilled to have my daughters' 529 accounts fully funded. ;)

As a matter of fact, anyone who can comfortably pay cash for a new Acura TL is doing pretty well in my book.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Posts: 151
    Hey Hab- do you mind saying which Hedge Fund is this? I am actually a Alternative Investment Accountant but for the past year I decided to try my hands at 1940 act funds, kind of boring but I am headed back to the Hedge Fund and Private Equity world.
    Do people vacation in Jackson Hole? I saw one of their phone books some years back. Provocative cover. :blush:
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    I skied Jackson Hole back in college. Still the most snow I've ever seen in my whole life. Skied a lot of vertical that week. In powder! No New England "frozen granular!"

I'm gonna tear up now, Mangy Moose, Million Dollar Cowboy Saloon and a local I met who had no idea that Connecticut was a state, nor where it was located in these United States...! I had to describe it as just north of New York. New York he had heard of, but no to CT. He asked me if I carried a gun when I went into NYC... Nope, only armed with my wits and boyish charm! :blush: I guess I'm lucky to still be alive! ;)

Of course, him being a local I just assumed he wore a six-shooter...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    "As a matter of fact, anyone who can comfortably pay cash for a new Acura TL is doing pretty well in my book."

But why pay cash when AHFC was offering 2.9% financing...!

My "fill the TL tank with gas" fund is almost fully funded. I'm not doing that well... :cry: ;)

Regards,

Laurasdada, working stiff.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Billy,

Appaloosa (Dave Tepper). But I think it is closed to new investors and as of a couple of years ago, the minimum investment was $10+/- million. A little too rich for inclusion in my portfolio, unfortunately.

Good time to be in the private equity business, no?
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Posts: 151
    Never heard of that shop but he must be doing well- a $10 million requirement tells me is shop is one of the heavy hitters.Private Equity is actually keeping the Alternative world alive, that's why I am trying to get back on board.
  • gpulsegpulse Posts: 1
    Is the antenna base above the back window for The navigation and XM radio or just navigation? I am wanting to do an experiment to see what it would take to start hindering the reception by covering the base. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Greg
    GPulse@hotmail.com
    Interesting. The only thing one can discern is TL-style headlights, and the trademark Acura grill.