Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    The 2000-2001 I30 looked good but its not my style. When they refreshed the 2002 and put the I35 emblem it kind of looked ordinary. 02-03 TL has nice looks in my opinion. The 99-01 TL was too bland. Honda did a great job with the refresh for the 02 model year.
  • schollscholl Posts: 13
    I hope Acura got the message and increased the headroom for the 2004 - it turned off many potential buyers - no problem in my 2000 3 series BMW - strange. In addition, I hope they did away with the faux wood (if it's part of the new design) I'd rather pay a little more for something that looks better.
  • akal50akal50 Posts: 112
    Honda paint is cheap. I have a black Accord and all the scratches show up too easily. Touch-up paint will look obvious. This is why I will never get a dark color if I buy Honda/Acura products.
  • dulnevdulnev Posts: 652
    I feel exactly the same way. The current 2003 TL-S is my fifth Honda/Acura. The second one, the 1998 Accord in Emerald Green (very dark green) had a bad-looking paint job after just two years. There were micro-scratches and swirls visible on the paint, plust every little dent and chip would stand out like sore thumbs.

After I traded in that car, I woved never to buy a dark Honda again. My current TL-S is silver. It's not the color I liked the most (the Antracite is BEAUTIFUL), but I know it's the color that would continue looking good for the longest time.
  • I have to agree this will be a great car. I have heard it will have about 280 hp (has to have more to differentiate it from the 2003 Accord, V6 with 240). Acura will surely do the normal and release a 2005 Type S with about 305 hp, but they have to make the car have more torque.......the 96-98 TLs are very nice, the 2.5's are seem to be very quick off the start (that is what I have, it is the SAME as the 3.2, only a few thousand less). Acura seems to always get it right. I believe they really need to beef up the RL and sell it around mid $50's. Toyota/Lexus ruined the Camry/ES 300 with the design, the things are so ugly. I would take an acura any day over lexus....look for the 2004 TL to impress all your neighbors!
  • billyperksbillyperks Posts: 449
    What about the Diamond White Pearl?
    I think its the best color in the line up, obviously that's why I bought.

I know people are going to share a different opinion on this.
  • akal50akal50 Posts: 112
    If I had to get a TL, I'd get it in white. Not only is it the best color for summer, it also ages well. Dings, chips, scratches aren't very noticeable. And you can wash it, get spots or streaks, and no one sees em. Some cars look awful in white, but the TL looks pretty good in almost any color, except the gold. It looks best in black, but the problem is in a few years, it starts to look old, especially if you live in harsher climates.
  • This is a new-to-us '99 TL. There are gray streaks on the tires coming off the wheels in several places. Like a line drawn from the rim to the edge of the tire, radiating from the center. I don't know if it's related to brake dust residue or what. Anybody know what this is? Devil of a time getting it off the tires, too.
  • acuriousacurious Posts: 9
    Anyone know if nav sys requires subscription or just occasional download? And how are the 03' TL-S type brakes? I heard they wear rather fast. Thx.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Is awd part of the plan for the future TL? 280hp is a lot for the front wheels and 305hp is not smart at all. I seriouldy doubt Honda would put that much power in a fwd-only car.

M
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    One would think that given that a lot of the TL's competition (Passat, S60, G35, MB C-Class, A4/A6, 3-series) offer or will offer AWD, Honda has to consider it for the TL. But with Honda, who knows? They always seem to be a few years behind the competition when it comes to introducing new features/trends.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    The Nav requires NO subscription. You own it, use it whenever you want.

There are DVD updates but they are few and far between. Rumor has it there will be a big update this fall, but I'll believe it when I see it.

As for brakes, I consider myself a hard braker, and I've got 12,000 miles on my '03 Type S, no problems so far.
  • Merc and Bodble, you bolth bring up great points with the AWD concern. One would think Honda/Acura would consider this.......as I'm positive the car will be more powerful than the 260 2003, TL Type S. I do disagree with Honda being a few years behind the new introductions. I believe the next TL will blow all the competitors away......remember when the Type S, CL and TL came out, it had the most power of all it's (same price range) competitors.......the others became more powerful as they release their newer models earlier in the year (i.e. Nissan)......do you all agree that Acura should make major improvements to the RL..great car, but for top end luxury, it's just a bigger Accord with lots of bells/whistles. I think in 2005 they are redesigning it. I love the '99-2003 TL style, but the '96-98 3.2 TL, had a very impressive front, especially the '98....they made the bottom, front look more agressive. Can you tell I'm an Acura fan?
  • rls11741rls11741 Posts: 2
    Does anyone know, for sure, if Acura is going to introduce a new TL Type S? I have a 02 Type S and I'm going to trade it in for a 04 TL. However, I can wait 1 more year for a TL Type S if I know for sure that it is coming. My dealer says that he has not heard anything about a Type S at all. Robin 125, do you know for sure about a Type S?
    Thanks!
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    Normally, I'd expect them not to release a TL-S until the initial hype wears off. Maybe 2-3 years after the full model change. This also allows them to keep pace with newer designs that come to market. However, with the cancellation of the CL, they might feel the need to get sporty right up front.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Micro scratches, swirls, dents and chips showing has nothing to do with Honda paint being "bad." That applies to all dark colors, regardless of what kind of car. I know of fairly new Lexus, BMW and Mercedes models that have the same problem. It's simple - dark colors show more wear and tear.
    You are absolutely correct- my own Auto Body guy told me this years ago.He told me specifically to go with the lighter colors, they age and hide dings and dents better.

That's why I am a Pearl White type of guy, my Millenia was and now the Acura is playing that role.
      WARNING- WAAAY EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR.
    Just a personal opinion:

I would never buy a white color car for two reasons:

1. Most rental cars are white and this turned me off this color.

2. I find white to be too feminine :-)
  • 2003tls2003tls Posts: 100
    I heard on the Acura-tl.com forum boards that the Type S is scheduled for 2005 (1 year later). Just a rumor though.
  • RLS......that is great you have a '02 TL Type S.....my guess is that it will be coming out in 2005, certainly not 2004. I've always heard it's best to wait till the second year of production to purchase a newly designed car, they usually make some changes to fix any issues with the production of the first year. I would think the Type S will have several differences as opposed to just the few (mainly hp and suspension) in the ones out now. I say hang on to the '02 for another year. The 2005 will be very impressive.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yes, yes, yes...the RL is the car Acura needed to replace for 04, not the TL. Everyone that likes cars wants to see a rwd model with a V8 in addition to the V6, but Honda has all but said no to V8s and rwd. So the current speculation is some type of awd V6 with hybrid tech for 300-400hp. The next RL is probably the best kept secret in the business.

I do hope that if Acura does increase hp on the TL (270 or more) that awd will be part of the program. That kind of hp is simply too much on the front wheels. Cadillac spent 10+ years trying to perfect it only having to switch back rwd.

M
    Ha ha ha- the Pearl White is as masculine as you can get.
    I think the gold is more on the feminine side- no offense to the male owners.
  • els159els159 Posts: 2
    My SRS light is on all the time. Dealer has suggested that putting a cell phone on passenger seat may have caused the module to malfunction. Has anyone else heard of this problem. Does anyone know if the safety of the vehicle has been compromised.
  • scott31scott31 Posts: 280
    Um, if your SRS light is on all the time, get the dealer to fix it ASAP.
    I wanted to share my feelings about the initial quality of my 2003 TL-S. "Initial" here does not refer to the day I got it fromt the dealer, but the period of the first 5,000 miles. Why 5,000 miles you ask? It's purely arbitrary.

I bought my TL-S on January 2nd of this year and have crossed 5,000 miles last week. I am comparing this car to my previous car: a 2000 3.2TL. The 2000 TL was well known for a variety of little problems that would develop around the first 1,300-1,800 miles: creaks, squeaks and rattles (this is based on numerous reports in Acura discussion boards). While not major problems, these issues can dramatically dampen one's satisfaction with their new car. My car developed 3 of these problems, two of which were never fixed.

Now enter the 2003 TL-S. The car is still ROCK-SOLID after the first 5,000 miles. Not a squeak, creak or rattle from anywhere. This is very encouraging, especially given the relatively terrible road conditions in the DC area this winter/spring. The tremendous record-setting amount of snow and rain that has been dumped on this region in the last 6 months has created an unusually high number of potholes and other problems. I've hit a number of potholes in the last 6 months, some very hard. Yet, the car has held up beautifully.

What this tells me is that in the last 3-4 years since the introduction of the current model of TL, Acura has done a great job in debugging the car.

What has your experience with recently made 2003's been like?
  • pdfspdfs Posts: 19
    Hi,

I found some very strange noise from my 02 TL. When the car is parked in garage, a low pitch whistling noise comes from under the car every ~15 min. Does anyone have the similar problem?
    Dulnev we purchased our car around the same time and our mileage is exactly the same- I just passed the 5000 mark.

As far as quality, I have two problems already-
    The sunroof rattles, dealer took care of this in no time.
    The second problem - the plastic covering by the seat belt adjuster is stripping off.I showed my service manager and he bluntly stated that their not going to fix that because it is my fault the plastic is stripping off.

He claims that whenever I unbuckle my seat belt I allow the metal to hit the plastic hence the stripping occurs.

I told him is comments are out right absurd. The plastic in my wife's Camry is not stripping, the plastic in my Millenia did not strip so why a $30,000.00 car plastic is striping.

To cut a long story short I took the car to another dealership and they fixed it without a whisper.

I am going to call Acura and file a complaint against this Dealership, also the owner of the Dealership is going to hear about this.
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    Recently I attended a Saturday SUV event hsoted by Lexus. They had most of the current luxury SUVs available for test drive. I bring this up because the MDX had the same problem you mentioned on your TL. The plastic covering in the b-pillar that hides the seat belt was all nicked and chipped from the seat belt hitting it when released. This must be a design flaw because none of the other SUVs had this, yet people were constantly unbuckling those seat belts too.

Acura needs to revise that plastic so it is more durable.
    Good thing you brought that up.
    At the time when I was presenting my case to the service manager, he took me in service area and showed me a MDX with the B pillar plastic torn up so badly because of the constant hitting from the seat belt buckle.So I further stated that it is a manufacturing fault but he insisted that it is the owners fault and we should be more careful when unbuckling.What a joke.
    All I know is that dealership in Grrenwich ain't getting my business again.The wife is considering a new car and I told her to add the TSX to her list- guess which Acura dealership is not on our list?
    The dealership that fixed the problem was selling me the car for $800.00 over invoice, the problem dealer gave it to me for $200 over.
    Now all my business goes back to the dealer I did not buy the car from.
    Is anyone else having the same problem?
  • mraganomragano Posts: 1
    I just puschased a 1996 acura3.2TL without doing any research before buying.I love the car but had a few questions.
    1.Do I need premium gas?
    2.Is it true the have a problem with the timing belt?
    3.It has 84,000 miles,do I need to get any services or checks done?
                   Thnak You