Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bcj2bcj2 Posts: 17
    Today, I became victim of the infamous trans probs. My '00 TL w/ Nav (80k miles) had its transmission fail. It started slipping between 2nd + 3rd. As I was explaining the prob on my cell to the dealer, the car completely died (would not move + engine failed) while on a 6 lane major road. It was towed to the dealer where it will be covered under warranty. I was given an '03 TL as a loaner. All-in-all, my TL is still a good car, however.
  • daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    I'm discouraged to see Acura begin to embrace the "edgy" design idiom that afflicts the Cadillac CTS and others! I'm eager for a return to graceful designs with continuity if line.
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    New TL has the crease line running along the door handles all around the car body. Nice touch, giving the car strong visual cue. If I'm not mistaken, that's a signature of Alfa Romeo. Isn't it?

Of course most NA public wouldn't know of the connection. And since TL won't be sold in Europe, most Europeans wouldn't know either.
  • varmintvarmint Posts: 6,326
    The thing I like the most is that they left off that crease in the middle of the front bumper. On the MDX, it looks like the bow of a ship. The three facet bumper on this concept looks a little blunt, but it's a big improvement IMHO.
  • baoolbaool Posts: 1
    go to motortrend.com adn look at the New York Auto Show and they have a photo I think on the 3rd or 4th page
  • jaquinojaquino Posts: 90
    Here are more pics of the Acura TL concept:

http://hondanews.com/forms/acura/TL/index_images.html?kw=currenta- cura

I like it! I agree with another poster, It does look like a "supersized" TSX. But I like the look of the TSX, so this looks pretty good to me.
  • acuriousacurious Posts: 9
    Anyone know when the 2004 TL will be released?
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Honda/Acura has always been knocked for bland styling. American Car Fans hated Honda's styling because they claimed it was too bland so Honda is trying to get that audience. As Accord sales indicate Honda can still sell alot of these un-Honda styled cars of late. In my opinion Nissan/Infinti started the whole "edgy design thing" with the release of the 02 Altima a couple years ago. So you can blame Nissan for the whole trend. As far as designs returning to the contemparary 90's trnds you can forget about that for awhile: the agressive "sporty look" is in. Even BMW is getting out of the contemparary stuff they had done in the 80's and 90's with the Z4 and 7 Series. Toyota also with the Corolla is getting into the agressive styling stuff. Mazda has turned the corner too. Honda has to do something to counter it. BMW saw what Nissan and VW were doing and decided they couldn't sit on their "timeless styling theme".
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I'm sure it will have regular side view mirrors and likely normal windshield wipers instead of the cameras and air blowers on the concept version.
    Of course, it will have the updated navigation system like the TSX and new Accord.
    The DVD audio system should be a great improvement since the current Bose system is weak.
    Hopefully, the interior will be greatly upgraded with real polished wood from an actual tree and no more fake plood simulated wood-toned plastic.
    $30K+ cars should not have fake wood trim!
  • akal50akal50 Posts: 112
    If they're going to raise the price of the TL, which the dealer says they are, then it better be because they're using higher quality materials. The wood accents should be like the ones you find in Lexus or BMW.

I think it's a safe bet that the production model will have side mirrors and traditional windshield wipers. There's no way the government would let people drive without those. I think Acura just wanted to show how technically advanced it can be. The Lexus RX330 has the rear view camera but they still have normal mirrors.
    I agree that Acura had to add more style to their car. The 03 TL looks classy, but dull. Acura is supposed to be about performance and the body style has to reflect that. The downside is that the car will look dated in 5 years.
  • s852s852 Posts: 1,051
    I think the '04 might have traditional wipers, but I think the air blowers could be possible in the future even if they don't have them this time.
    People might say, "Well, what if the blower fails?"
    Well, what if the windshield wiper motor fails? It's the same thing.
    All they need to do is make the air blower system at least as reliable as a windshield wiper motor. That's not an impossible feat.
  • jaquinojaquino Posts: 90
    The blower thing sounds like a good idea, less maintenance (no more wiper blades to replace every year). However, the trick is to make sure the thing blows hot air in the winter time. Probably have like a "hot setting" for the blower/wiper.
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    I saw the 2004 TL Concept today at the New York Auto Show. I think it looks good. I can confirm the October release, DVD-Audio system.

I wanted to take some pictures but had a problem with my flash card ( word of advice : check your camera / camcorder before leaving the house and take a second flash card for your digital camera ). I was able to take some video of the TL with my camcorder so not all was lost.
  • bklynguybklynguy Posts: 275
    I saw the 2004 TL Concept today at the New York Auto Show. I think it looks good. I can confirm the October release, DVD-Audio system.
  • mxpro738mxpro738 Posts: 59
    If Acura/Honda were to take this design straight to the production line, keep the Type-S motor, and give it a manual tranny, I'd change my mind about my upcoming BMW purchase.

I hope they're listening in Japan! :)
  • tb9tb9 Posts: 1
    Looks nice but I hope they do something about the rear end! Too boxy - looks like a Ford Focus!
    The rear end actually looks like the front of a Cadillac CTS, except without the ugly grill.
  • bobby067bobby067 Posts: 1
    I saw the concept body for the 04 TL it is awesome. They didn't have the interior but I was told that photos will be available in August and it will be out in OCT. The type S is 280hp it will also have a camera in the back. It is a major change for the TL. Great looking car.
  • bjvjsbjvjs Posts: 27
    Has anyone heard any rumors regarding the pricing on the 2004 TL. I currently own a 2000 TL and need to add another car. The TSX is a possibility but I found the engine to be lacking. I am also considering a 2003 G35 sedan. I do not know if I can wait until October. I am sure the new TL will be selling at or near sticker for at least six months.