Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Honda Accord
vs. Toyota Camry - Round Two
topic. Those of you
joining us from that topic are welcome to continue
your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• number17number17 Member Posts: 69
    The Accord vs Camry discussion can actually last 3 rounds? I think that means one thing for sure - both are excellent vehicles.

Now, back to the discussion ...

1/ Sportiness in a mid-sized sedan: I agree sporty coupes like Prelude, Celica ... are sportier than any of the mid-sized sedans, but that does not mean buyers in this market are not necessarily looking for some fun in their car. Sure, in an ideal world, you drive a sports car when you want to have some fun, and you drive the mid-sized sedan to go to dinner with your family, drive the jeep for camping trips, and van for long trips .... however, $$ is a limited resource for most ppl (if it's not for you, you should not be reading this thread - try 911 Carrera C5 ... that's one FUN car!), some ppl (like myself) do prefer a vehicle that has the convenience of 4 doors, practicality of useable backseat, yet does not give up their sportiness in their car. Thus sports sedans, which are compromises between sportiness and practicality.

2/ Continuing with that theory, all mid-sized cars are a compromise, somewhere in between sportiness and comfort, within a limited budget. The Accord has a heavier emphasis on sportiness, handling, while sacrificng quietness, comfort ... the Camry is designed to max out comfort, refinement, smoothness, at the price of sportiness. Can a car be all sporty while is also comfortable and quiet?? Sure it can, but not within this price range = )

3/ Thus, going back to square 1 - Accord is for those are looking for the practicality of a mid-size sedan, yet enjoys driving, and is willing to give up some comfort and quietness for it. Camry is for those who don't care much about driving fun, and would rather opt for the quietness, refinment, smoothness .... I think both are excellent vehicles, with different purposes in a relative sense. Obviously, both are built within the limitation of 'mid-sized sedans', so as sporty as the Accord is, it still is no Prelude. And as refined / comfortable as the Camry is, it is no luxury sedan.

I think most of us are in agreement on these 3 points .... and thus what continues to amaze me is ... why is the discussion still alive? = ) I thought these 3 points should be crystal clear.

• wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    I think everyone knows that the Camry has got a more luxury feel, while the Accord has got a sportier feel.

There is nothing wrong with prefering one way or the other. Everyone should buy what suits themselves.

Both cars have huge number of fans. Since these two cars (and brands) are arch rivals, that's probably why this subject dragged on so long.
  • 1salesman11salesman1 Member Posts: 12
    what i tell my honda customers is simply this:

both cars are great vehicles, but the main difference is
    the accord is a drivers vehicle
    the camry is a riders car
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    Driver's vehicle? Rider's car??
    Heh, I like your style 1salesman1. :)

One thing though, if these two cars are arch rivals, yet their target driver consist of two different groups, then its feasible when Toyota and Honda design and market them, they knowingly avoid direct competition by doing so. I find that hard to believe, but its logically feasible.
  • everydayeveryday Member Posts: 53
    Is that when all your prospective buyers leave your dealership and go buy a Camry? Toyota now knows where all their sales come from.

Round Three? I thought we're in round fifteen by now. And still no signs of a decision. It's time for somebody to bite an ear off....
    i would bet that about 80% people that come on my lot and look at the accord have already looked at the camry or will (that is if i get them driving off in a new accord before they have a chance to look at the camry :))
    i guess that you were not aware of the fact that as far as consumer purchases, the accord actually beat the camry last year. but camry does about 15% of their business with fleet sales which maked them the #1 last year.

and about your cocky remark, i tell most of my customers that come in and look at the accord first to go drive a camry or drive them in one that i have on my used lot to compare. and guess what, i dont care if they buy a toyota, because they are good buys, and i wont worry about the sales that i lost when i go to the bank with my comm.
  • amazonamazon Member Posts: 293
    The V6 Accord will not be a drivers vehicle until it's available with a manual transmission. Period.
    that is a very valid point, that is the only thing about the accord i wish they would change. but since they came out with the v6 in the accord in 1995, it has never been an option.
    I do not agree. Sure the lack of a MT takes away a lot of driver interaction, and thus is a lot less fun to drive. Yet, the overall driving dynamics of the car is still sporty, thus making it still a driver's vehicle compared to other mid-sized sedans IMO.

You cannot say AT Ferrari 456 GT is not a driver's car. It is just not as sporty as a MT one.

Honda's never developed the manual tranny for this 3.0L V6 engine since it debuted back in 94, I believe. THe V6 engine was deployed specifically for the NA market only, cos NAmericans feel that a 4cyc sedan is NOT a serious car, regardless of what kind of output the 4 banger can produce. Market surveys also show that NAmerican drivers DO NOT like shifting for themselves. As a matter of fact, only 5% of Maxima's are sold with 5sp MT even though it is an option. 95% are sold with AT. Thus it was a business decision to not spend the $$ on developing the MT for the engine made specifically for NA.

European Accords and Japanese Accords only have 4 banger engines. The Accord Type R has Prelude's 2.2L DOHC VTEC 4 banger, which produces peak of 210hp, and is available with an accurate and precise MT. It is a seriously fun to drive sports sedan.

It's probably due to engineering resources at Honda. I can't see it being manufacturing related. That said, the relatively small number of cars Honda would sell with this configuration would probably be at least as, if not more, expensive than the auto. cars. This due to the high fixed cost incurred when designing. Just my .02
    i agree, though the market would not be kind to a v6 manual in the accord, i would still like to see one and of course drive one.
    #17-they came out with the v6 in '95.
    we sell on average 70% 4cly and 30% v6's.
    I would refrain from bringing in Ferrari to this discussion. By no stretch of the imagination can Honda Accord V6 be compared to those hot italians. Also, the Italian mafia might be looking for you :)

The only question is then: How can Toyota offer a V6 camry with manual transmission? (I'm not suggesting that the Camry is a trye drivers car either) Bear in mind the Acuras of the 80's and early 90's with V6 and manual transmission.

Like I stated in my previous post, it probably has to do with engineering resources and associated business decisions.

However, I still don't think that the V6 Accord is a sporty car. Can't be with a slushbox.
    its not a sporty car, it is a more sportier sedan than the camry. thats the subject.
    Only the different strategists at the respective companies can explain why Toyota can justify a V6 man. when Honda can't. After all, it would make more sense to Honda to offer this powertrain combo than it does to Toyota, given the otherwise "sporty" character of the Accord, don't you think?
    That Honda usually can provide a good manual tranny rather than an auto tranny. If the market can sustain the Maxima with manual (a selling point for the SE), why won't Honda do the same with the Accord V6?
    I agree. Honda's manual transmissions are typically really nice.
    "I would refrain from bringing in Ferrari to this
    discussion. By no stretch of the imagination can
    Honda Accord V6 be compared to those hot italians."

I was not comparing Accords' to Ferrari. I was just pointing out that MT or AT is not the only determining factor in a car's sportiness. It is a big factor, I agree, but it is not the only factor.

Simple illustration - if Buick Century is offered with a 5sp MT, I'd still take AT Accord V6 as the sportier car any day.

"The only question is then: How can Toyota offer a
    V6 camry with manual transmission? (I'm not
    suggesting that the Camry is a trye drivers car
    either) Bear in mind the Acuras of the 80's and
    early 90's with V6 and manual transmission."

Keep in mind, the 3.0L Accord VTEC engine and 3.2L TL VTEC engine are not based on the 3.2L V6 engine used in the early - mid 90's Acura Legend V6 engine. That engine was non VTEC, and was relatively problematic, and though it was avail with a 6sp MT gearbox, it was probably the reason for Honda to not deploy the same engine.

The 3.0L V6 used in the Camry is a workhorse used in various other Toyota cars, and it was traditionally available with a MT. Toyota has offered the MT as an option on the Camry V6, but only for the lowest trim model. Equipping the car with any feature pretty much means you'll get a slushbox.

"However, I still don't think that the V6 Accord is a sporty car. Can't be with a slushbox."

If slushbox or MT is the only determining factor you are looking at here then I agree Accord is not a sporty car. Neither is a 456GT then. =)

It all depends on how you define as 'sporty car'. I'd love a V6-MT Accord, but its sporty driving dynamics makes it still sportier than most of its competitors, and thus I'd still consider it a sporty mid-sized sedan. But I agree without the MT, it takes away a lot of driver interaction and a lot of fun to drive.

Again, it's all a matter of defining sporty. I think a Ferrari can be sporty with its automated shifter. An accord can not with its automatic transmission. The mob is looking for you.......

I was looking at an LE V6 before. It was loaded. Nice car, but then I got this super deal on a Volvo S70.

Other than that- good points.
    True, it's all a matter of defining "sporty".

I was just saying MT/ AT is not the only factor in determining if a car is sporty or not, and you seem to agree with me by saying a Ferrari can be sporty with AT.

In that case, the Accord V6 can't be 'unsporty by default' just because it has a slushbox.

Obviously, the lack of a MT is a big downside... and hence I'd look at the 626, Passat, and Maxima before I look at the Accord. Still, even with a AT it is still relatively sportier than most other mid-sized sedans .....

ps - if the Mob come for me I'd have the Yakutza to backme up ... it's ok = )
    Any bread and butter sedan with a slushbox can not be sporty to me. Granted the accord handles well and all, but still, hondas auto transmissions don't offer much other than great reliability. I know that some people think that the rough shifting characteristics of the honda automatics make the cars sportier. I don't dislike automatics. It's just that, in my opinion, a car with an automatic transmission should be smoooootth.

Remember, The Mob rules
    24 new posts?!!!! What the?! Where did all you people find this free time? I don't even have time to read them all. It's weekdays guys, time to earn a living. ;)
    I spend most of my lunch surfing and now, after work with a guinnes, I'm so wrapped up in this conversation, i'm checking it often.
    I think the lack of 5-spd manual for Accord V6 is simply a marketing decision. The number of buyers for 5-spd manual is small, automatic transmission is all but a requirement for most people now (car lovers on in these forums excluded).

Honda doesn't have resource to spare like Toyota does, being much smaller and less wealthy. What Toyota can afford to support and spend, Honda might not be able to.

I think the Honda's decision not to make the V6 manual combo is a understandable, and probably a correct one. After all, look at how many people buy 5-spd V6 camrys are out there? Not many. The low production number means it doesn't enjoy the economy of scale, and you don't make as much money selling them. I'm sure Honda studied the cost-benefit relationshipe before deciding not to make 5-spd V6s.

Toyota is a different story, its cars may not look aggressive, but the company's capability is vast. Toyota, has about $16 billion in highly liquid short term marketable securities. That's more asset than the largest automaker GM can make in 4 years. That's enough money to buy more than 25% of Ford or Dailmer Chrylser, or buy a controling share (>33%) of GM or Honda. Wish I had some of that. :)
    Then, how you explain Nissan decision to create the manual tranny for the Maxima SE? As I stated before, I think its one of the major selling point for that specific trim line. And coupled with Honda ability to create good manual transmission, I think its not going to cost them significantly to create a manual tranmission for the V6.
    I'm sure Honda did some cost analyzing like you said, I'm just wondering if they're missing out on that market niche or there are other reasoning behind it.
    I think Nissan has always been a good niche product company. It's niche was sporty cars. Like my old man's 89 Sentra 200SX, still sporty by today's standards (he keeps it around because that thing is reliable too).

In my opinion, the problem Nissan had/has started when they try leave their sports niche to go mainstream. Their Maxima got bland in the mid 90's in an attempt to take on the more established Toyota/Honda. Of course, they were bloodied, and lost marketshare/profit big time.

Current Nissan strategy is calling for going back to the sports niche. They heavily emphasize Maxima's sporty nature (note the comercials), the new Sentra is almost a minturized Maxima, again long on the sportiness.

For those who emphasize on sportiness, 5-spd manual is all but a must for a car. And Nissan is definitly trying to be heavy on the sportiness. Camry and Accord are the two mainstream products, sportiness isn't the biggest selling point, therefore no 5-spd isn't going to hurt the popularity very much.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    I agree that a not having a 5sp take away a lot of thing from a sporty car, guess there has to be compromise for all the ppl that want a sport car but cant have a 5sp.
    Regarding Nissan, my family never own one so I dont have 1st hand experience with it (other than the occasional borrowing of friend/relatives car). In general I think their car provides the basic transportation with good reliability, and price to reflect that (early sentra and altima price much cheaper than competition). I dont know if Nissan really wants to go back to sportiness and abandon the family car niche concept, since that's where the money is (heck, a family must own a family car/suv).
    I also think the Maxima will be a strong competitor against the Camry/Accord if Nissan can adjust it pricewise, to make it goes head to head with the other 2.
    BTW, have chance to tried out that Taurus yet?
  • adg44adg44 Member Posts: 385
    Well guys, you all can stop argueing over which car is sporty, cause in all honesty, neither of them are. I just sold my 2000 EX V6 Accord Coupe (what a piece of junk) and purchased a 2000 VW GTI GLX VR6. Of course that is a manual, and that is a sporty car. I guess that some car companies think that if they take a 4 door sedan and slap only two doors on it, they have a "sporty car." These cars are both wanna-be cars. The Accord needs a manual, and the solara is a boat. If you ask me, Honda and Toyota need to work together and create the ulitmate wanna-be sporty car.

-----------------------

One more thing, in defense of the Max. It is NOT in the same class as the Accord or Camry, that's what the Altima is there for. Wait until 2002 for a new bigger Altima with a V6 to compete head to head with the Camry and Accord.

- Anthony
  • markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    Thought you were going to get a Maxima after Honda bought back your Accord? You bought a VW?! You're complaining about your Accord's quality control, and you bought a VW? Hope you have good luck with it, I sure didn't with the last (and only) VW I bought!
    That works two ways. You can tell that my GTI is built better than the accord when you just sit in it. The materials are higher quality, and it was built in Germany. Maxima was too expensive, and I like having a smaller car.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Manual Transmission:
    I'm not sure why people make a fuss out of it. Those who need it have choices available, right? I had. I needed a second car last year, and brought home the Prelude, with 5-speed manual tranny (and a great one at that), reasonable power, and nice handling, all that is needed in a good sports coupe. It was amazing to not find a Prelude at the dealer's lot equipped with manual tranny. I had to wait. Why should this happen if there are people desperate to buy manual tranny equipped cars? There isn't enough market for manual transmission out there in America.
    Toyota and Nissan use their V6 engines extensively in Asia and Europe. This can be a good reason for them to be able to offer manual transmission equipped V6 (although rare) in the USA. It has nothing to do with resources. If Honda felt like there was a 20% market for manual tranny, they would do it. Look at the 'performance' Accords in Asia and Europe (Accord Type-R, Accord Euro-R, Torneo Euro-R), they don't come with automatic tranny (even a/c is a free option on Accord Type-R in Europe). Now, these are not V6s, but the 2157 cc/I-4 DOHC VTEC from Prelude. European Accord Type-R gets 210 HP/158 lb.-ft, the Japanese versions, Accord Euro-R and Torneo Euro-R get 220 HP/163 lb.-ft. Then, there is a AWD Accord Wagon Si-R, with DOHC version of the American Accord, 2253 cc/I-4 DOHC VTEC, eager to deliver 200 HP and 165 lb.-ft of torque. These are cars tailored to Asian and European markets. The American Accord is the largest, heaviest, and least sporty of these Accords (platform is same), and comes with a V6, designed for America, where only 15% of buyers opt for manual tranny (and most of them would be on sports cars/sedans/coupes, economy cars).
    However, something strange is happening too! Recently, I noticed that Accord Si-R and Torneo Si-R (both offered with 2.0 liter DOHC VTEC), with the arrival of their Euro-R versions, do not offer manual tranny in Japan, but get automatic w/SportShift. That's probably where the future is headed to.
    Personally, I'd like to see manumatics improve quickly, and allow to control the engine better than they do. I like the 5-speed SportShift on TL, except that it does not allow control any more on the first gear, if it did, it will be nice.

adg44:
    Good luck.
    why did you not go with a manumatic in the prelude. or did you go with the sh model?

steve
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    I once asked a Honda salesman why the V-6 is not offered with a manual. He stated it was for marketing reasons; a V-6 5-speed Accord would be faster than a Prelude, which is obviously not good for the Prelude's image. I don't know if that's the real reason, but it seems a reasonable explaination to me. Kind of a Buick Grand National-type reason not to offer one. (For those of you who don't know, the Buick Grand National was killed because it was faster than a Corvette. Can't have a Regal blowing the doors off 'Vettes, now, can we?)
    Going to ACS (that's American Chemical Society) meeting in Washington DC on August 19th, coming back on the 24th. During that time, I will drive to New Jersey to see my parent's new horse, and even drop by NYC. I have high expectations for the Taurus, the baseline Taurus engine is 155 hp, stronger than even the Accord's. Time to go to the big cities, so I'm going to try to learn how to drive "aggressively" and maybe even earn the first traffic ticket of my life. ;) When I get back, (if I get back in one piece), I will write a detailed report for sure.
    That's not in the same class as the Camry/Accord/Maxima catagory. It's a sports coupe. Like most sports coupe, the back seat is a joke. Definitly not a family car. ;)
    "Well guys, you all can stop argueing over which
    car is sporty, cause in all honesty, neither of
    them are. I just sold my 2000 EX V6 Accord Coupe
    (what a piece of junk) and purchased a 2000 VW GTI
    GLX VR6. Of course that is a manual, and that is
    sporty car. I guess that some car companies think
    that if they take a 4 door sedan and slap only two
    doors on it, they have a "sporty car." These cars
    are both wanna-be cars. The Accord needs a
    manual, and the solara is a boat. If you ask me,
    Honda and Toyota need to work together and create
    the ulitmate wanna-be sporty "

Wow interesting theory on wanna-be sporty.... but I'm just curious - how is that different for the 2dr Jetta HB called GTI? =)

GTI, Jetta, Golf ... are all built on the identical VWA4 platform. GTI and Golf and Jetta share the identical suspension setup, Jetta GLX and GTI GLX share the same VR6 engine. If you compare the suspension of the Accord to that of the GTI / Jetta/ Golf, I don't think the VW's have the slightest edge. Those VW's share the same boaty suspension setup, for 2000 models anyways. 2001 VW's can be upgraded to have sportys suspension, which is in essense stiffer Eibach springs. A welcome option, but will not change matters night and days. If you want to talk about sporty VW's, I'd agree the Passat / A4 / A6 (built on the same B5 platform) are sportier than the Accord, but defn not the VWA4 platform.

Not to mention, these cars are NOT even in the same class. GTI / Jetta / Golf are compact's, Accord, Camry's are mid-sized cars. If you want to compare compact sport coupes, there's the Prelude, which is clearly a much sportier car than the GTI.

"One more thing, in defense of the Max. It is NOT
    in the same class as the Accord or Camry, that's
    what the Altima is there for."

We see ignorance here. The Altima is a compact as well, though a big compact. It slides in between the mainstream compacts (Civic, Corolla, Sentra...) and the mainstream mid-sized sedans (Accord, Camry, Maxima) in terms of price, size ... You may stretch it to compare with the 4 cyc Accord and Camry's if spaciousness is not a factor. But we're talking about V6's here, and Nissan's solution for V6 Accord and Camry's is the Maxima, not the Altima. That's what Nissan's marketing says, that's what all car mags compare the Maxima against ... Accord and Camry V6! The Altima is actually just marginally bigger than a Civic! The new Civic will be even roomier, and can easily have more rooms than the Altima.

"Wait until 2002 for a new bigger Altima with a V6 to compete head tohead with the Camry and Accord."

That's only a rumor, that is not even remotely realistic. First of all, the current VQ engine will NOT fit in the engine bay of the Altima. From the marketing perspective, if they make the Altima bigger and fit in a V6 engine, it'll compete head to head with the Maxima, and makes no sense at all.

"I think the Honda's decision not to make the V6
    manual combo is a understandable, and probably a
    correct one. After all, look at how many people
    buy 5-spd V6 camrys are out there? Not many. The
    low production number means it doesn't enjoy the
    economy of scale, and you don't make as much money
    selling them."

I agree completely. The % of V6-MT Camry's is probably less than 1% in NA, thus it'd be a non-profitable decision to develop the MT tranny for the V6. However, I don't think the reason Toyota has a MT tranny for its 3.0L V6 and Honda doesn't is beacause of difference in resources as you've suggested.

I think it's mainly a historical thing. The 3.0L V6 Toyota uses in the Camry is a workhorse like I've suggested that have used for over 10 yrs now. It is used in various Toyota vehicles worldwide, and some of which see a need for a MT tranny. The MT tranny was developed before hand, and it was simply avail with the engine's used in the Camry. (and the one thing that gets me is with the MT being avail, Toyota doesn't offer it on the upper trim Solara, which is supposed to be a sporty Camry .. that's a sidenote though)

AS per the Accord, the 3.0L V6 was specifically developed for the NA market in 94/95 when the public wanted a V6 for the Accord. Not seeing a need for MT for a NA specific engine, Honda decided it was an unsound business case to develope a MT tranny for this engine, and I agree with that. The fact Honda developed a 5sp sport-shift AT tranny for the 3.2TL and CL (same engine, bigger bore and longer stroke for more capacity) proves Honda does have the resources to develope the tranny. They just saw more demand for semi-automatic tranny in that class than a MT, and I agree with that, though I'd really LOVE to see a 6spMT for the CL.

It is actually a similar case for the Maxima. Some might say Nissan wants to keep the sporty niche, thus offer a MT on the V6. To some extend, Nissan wants to get out of trouble being the sporty alternative in the mainstream market, as their marketing strategy shows. However, the main reason MT is offered on the Maxima is it has always been available. The VQ V6 engine is a workhorse, used in Maxima, Gloria, Cedric, Pathfinder .... and a MT has always been available. If Nissan had to invest capitals to develop a brand new MT for the VQ, they probably would choose not to do so, and would rather take the path of sportshift semi-automatic. (which is one thing they are missing on the I30). Afterall, only 5% of Maxima buyers take the MT. I mean, if Nissan is THAT SERIOUS about sportiness, they'd at least put a rear independent suspension in the Maxima, not a beam suspension. Like they suggest, it's more for 'bragging rights' sportiness.

The Maxima is going to be a full size car, and the Altima is going to take it's place. The GTI is basically the Audi S3, except the VW version. I'd like to see an accord beat the GTI in any comparison test. Also, the Maxima's multi-link rear beam suspension is an excellent design. Some people just won't acknowledge that. Anywho, back to the topic, which honestly is redundant.
    "Nissan Japan has released information confirming the next generation of high powered multi-valve DOHC cam inline-4 engines. The new QR engines are destined to power the new Sentra SE-R and the redesigned model year 2002 Altima."

There goes the Maxima moving full-size rumor. Altima will keep its 4cyc engine, and its compact size. Maxima will remain a V6 mid-sized sedan.

I didn't say Accord can beat a GTI. I was responding to your "Accord coupe is a 2dr sporty-wannabe" criticism that so is the GTI (a.k.a. 2dr sporty-wannabe version of Golf/Jetta), thus a GTI is as sporty as a Jetta is, which is not sportier than the Accord at all. The VR6 engine is a gem, but Honda's 3.0L SOHC VTEC engine produces more hp. Accord V6 and GTI VR6 have similar power to weight ratio, and will have very similar acceleration performance for both being AT models. The Accord's suspension is also not as boaty as Jetta's, which is the same on the Golf. Clearly, in terms of sportiness, the GTI VR6/Jetta VR6 are in the same ballpark as the Accord.

And the point is - why even compare the GTI to the Accord? Like I said, they belong to difference classes. If you'd like to compare compact coupes, compare the Prelude to the GTI, and the 'lude is the much sportier choice.

Finally multi-link beam suspension - as good as it is among different variations of non-indepedent suspension, it does NOT compare to independent suspension. Nissan is the ONLY manufacturer (among japanese, korean, domestics, europeans) that does not deploy an independent suspension on their mainstream mid-sized sedan (for cost-saving reasons). Though you can argue a varied version of the beam suspension will make-do in normal driving circumstances, it is definitely against the image they try to portrait in their marketing strategies - serious sports car. Basically if you hit a mid-corner bump during hard cornering, with a non-independent suspension your tail comes out, and that is why people do not acknowledge it.

the altima will keep its 4cyl engine when the new body is revealed in 2002, but it will have an optional v6 and it is supposed to be the same or close to the same size as the maxima.
    and that is a rumor I see no truth in. Why would Nissan make the Altima a similar size as the Maxima? Nissan already has the Sentra to compete against the econoboxes (Civic, Corolla, Protege, Golf... ), though it is a bit on the small side. It has the Maxima to compare against V6 Accord and Camry's, though the Maxima is a bit on the large side (bigger than Accord, Camry, Passat ... ). Thus the Altima to fill the gap between compact and full-size to compare against the 4cyc mid-sizes and upscale compacts. I see no reason why Nissan wants to make the Altima even bigger / equip it with a V6 engine to directly compete aginst its own car.

I mean, if we are going to compare cars based on unfounded rumors, then I'd start comparing Accord V6 - 6spMT with sports suspension, sports package that includes 17" low profile rims, and a lower price than current MSRP.

I do not agree that the prelude would be a better car than the accord to compare to the GTI. The GTI is a lot roomier than the prelude. Probably pretty close to the accord coupe. Again, the handling characteristics and the transmission choices tell me that Honda accord (US version) is not a very sporty car.

In truth, I don't think that the development costs for a v6 man. combo would be that high. Honda has manual transmissions overseas that can take 200+ hp. Maybe not the torque of a V6, but Honda's competence in manual transmissions should make it a breeze.

It would be sad if a glorified slushbox (automanual) would kill the manual.
    That would be the coolest car:
    "Accord V6 - 6spMT with sports suspension, sports package that includes 17" low profile rims, and a lower price than current MSRP."
    You don't think that the Maxima is sporty due to its rear suspension, and I don't think the Accord is sporty due to its transmission. Different views both are right! :)
    "It would be sad if a glorified slushbox(automanual) would kill the manual."

I agree completely. Semi-automatics are gimmicks. They are not the real thing. But that's the way Honda sees the NA market, and you cannot wrong them, if you look at the % of MT Maxima / Camry / 626 sold ..... sigh =(

"I do not agree that the prelude would be a better
    car than the accord to compare to the GTI. The GTI is a lot roomier than the prelude. Probably
    pretty close to the accord coupe. "

Not true. In terms of roominess, the GTI fits in between the Prelude and the Accord. The Accord is quite a lot roomier than the Golf / GTI, especially if you consider the rear legroom. The reason why GTI compares to a Prelude is both are compact coupes.

Or put it this way - which is the most appropriate VW to compare to the Prelude?? I can't name a better match than the GTI - similar price range, similar size, same class (compact), and both cars go for the same market (sporty enthusiasts willing to dish out $25k).

I mean, too bad the Corrado has been canned =(

amazon - I agree. Sportiness - each can have their own definition. Just don't send the mob's after me = )
    i work at a honda-nissan dealership and i can promise you that is not a rumor but a true fact.
    the altima is going straight up against the camry and the accord v6's and 4cyl's. the maxima is going to go up against the avalon, 3series bmw, etc. it is in the works.
    my guess, it will be discountued in the next two years because of the fact people are going with the accord ex-vl coupe instead. @ same price and you do get ALOT more as far as options.
    I won't. Just don't bring Ferrari into the discussion, Mkay?
    "the maxima is goingto go up against the avalon, 3series bmw, etc. it is in the works."

Again, I'll believe it when I see it.

First of all, Avalon is NOT in the same class as the 3series ... Avalon is in the same class of Crown Victoria, Impela .... full size sedans with heavy emphasis on comfort and safety. Boats. Tanks. Whatever you call them. 3-series on the other hand are sports compact sedans. They are in the same class as A4, IS300, argeuably S40 (half-hearted effort from Mistsubishi/Volvo) ....

So, lets first make up you mind if you want the MAxima to go bigger and roomier, or smaller and sportier in your rumor, cos it can't be both. = )

2nd of all, the Maxima underwent a major model revision in 2000 model, and you're saying a complete re-design is already in the works to move it away from its current class just 2 yrs into its new model?! What is the reason?? It can't be the increasing sale can it? = )

I mean, there are rumors, and there are EDUCATED rumors.

But let's focus on cars that are available, or verified news of near-future cars.

i guess i didnt realize that you sold or worked at a nissan dealership with all this knowledge you have. why cant the maxima get a redesigned body in 3 years. it took the pathfinder only 1.5 years to get one (one in 1999.5 and the other in 2001) and its not a rumor about the altima (straight from my gm, have you talked to one lately), so i would appreciate if you didnt make me out to look like i have no idea what i am talking about. oh, and why dont you go to a nissan lot and look at thier product guide on a maxima and look at page 6 and tell me that the maxima isnt in the same class as the avalon.
    maxima strenghts over the avalon:
    -more front head and leg room
    -more horses and torque
    -larger trunk
    -more standard features (gle)
    -larger, wider wheels
    -superior handling
    ****page 9 in the product guide if you still think its a rumor****