Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I'll go look at it. So far, I've seen a silver LE (on the interstate) and a red/maroon SE (at Olive Garden parking lot).
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Posts: 195
    Thanks for the kind words. Here is one pic:

Sharper than the current Accord, for sure. ;)
    I went and looked at it, and it does look much better in the blue color. I think I failed to mention this; I like the interiors very much, it's the exterior that initially put me off. I'll warm up to it though, I'm sure. I really didn't like the rear of the Accords, now I kinda like it!
  • tinatinatinatina Posts: 388
    The rear of the Accord for 2006 is ugly. I also think they would have been better off putting on the tailights from the hybrid. (I really like the 2003-2005 versions the best), but will probably purchase an LE Camry since the Lexus-like styling looks awesome and better than BMW's 3 or 5 series. The only minor complaint is the grille, but no vehicle is perfect.
    The rear of the Accord for 2006 is ugly

Come on, tell me what you REALLY think of my car! :)

I actually left out some words... I should have said some people say the rear of the car is ugly, I thought like you did, but now I have changed. (I still think that the tailights should have been the one from the Hybrid Accord. I had the same thoughts about the front grill and the sombrero on the new Camry.

The one on the right is a very popular car (the 1994 -1997 model). I actually go back and forth with Accord and Camry. I planned on changing my 2004 Accord sedan with the 2006, but then I saw the new Camry, and its a tough call. 2008 is a long time to wait for the new, Accord.
    I actually prefer amber blinkers too, like the Hybrid and my 96 Accord LX. I agree with you there!
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    thegrad, the 94-97 is actually my favorite generation of Accord. The size was just perfect in my opinion, and the car was so cohesive as an effort. Go figure that because it was smaller than the Camrys of the time (and the 3G Camry was particularly kick-[non-permissible content removed]), the 94-97 had the Accord fall off the Ten Best list, not win many comparos, etc.

A friend of mine had a 94 Accord EX 4 that was going strong at 160K before she ran a stop sign and was RAILED on the passenger side. No injuries (but she wasnt carrying a passenger). Still, the 1994 Accord was one of the first vehicles to meet 1997 Side Impact Standards...

But I digress! Hang on to that Accord!

~alpha
    Someone at my office told me he'd buy the car today for $3,500. (A few weeks ago). It's not going anywhere anytime soon. It has 159,000 miles on it, and needs the rotors turned as well as new shocks (I'm still on the originals), but that offer was over blue book private party value in the "good" condition. I'll keep driving it to school every day (more wrecks happen in rush hour-when i drive) and I'll drive the new one all the other times. I'm not letting go of it, smile! :)
  • What do you guys think of pouring $500 into a 1994 Honda Accord with 156,500 miles on it? It needs a new left front bearing and hub. I've put approximately $1,600 into the car in the past year or so, but I'm getting tired of spending good money to keep a 12+ year old car on the road. Nothing else seems to be wrong with the car (I should know, big $$$ was spent getting it into shape to get Maryland inspection).

I've been seriously considering a new car for a few years, and am extremely partial to the new 2007 Camry. Personally, I think it's time to get a new car (as I've owned the current one for 10+ years).
  • This is my first time posting on the boards! :) Anyway, I just got a 2000 Toyota Camry LE and it has taken me awhile to get used to the styling of the new Camry (compared to the '03 Accord which I warmed up to instantly). It looks frumpy in the front and not as sleek as the '97-'01 Camry or as sleek as the '06 Accord. However, the interior of the car is a different story. Personally, I have always preferred the Honda Accord over the Camry any day of the week. Just a sportier car, and I like that. It was my grandma's car, but she passed away in Feb. and the car was left to me. She came really closer to getting a '00 Accord EX but she liked the Camry better. Heck the '92 Accord LX she had was sportier than the '00 Camry LE I have. But I still love it anyway. Sorry if this post seems pointless.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    At some point you have to say enough is enough. Not sure what the car is worth but that $500 will get you up to $2100 which hasn't added any value to the car. May be time to unload it.

I had the same dilemma with a minivan a few years back and regretted that I didn't sell it a year earlier. I actually had to give it away (12 years old, 140,000 miles) to the local homeless shelter. Didn't get a single call when it was advertised in the newspaper at a very reasonable price.
  • petomlinpetomlin Posts: 103
    Seems like your '94 Accord has served you well. :) Now treat yourself to a nice new car. Before long you'll begin to regret putting money into the Accord. Make the move. Especially since there is another car on the market which appeals to you.
    Welcome to the boards, buddy! Don't worry, pointless posts tend to run rampant around here, and yours actually seemed to know what it was talking about. Look forward to bloggin with ya!
  • Thanks for the welcome! I have loved cars since I could talk and now being able to own one that I have always liked is a dream come true!
  • alrjalrj Posts: 11
    OKAY I DONT THINK U CAN START COMPARING THE 07 CAMRY TO THE 06 ACCORD, JUST WAIT AND SEE HONDA STEP RIGHT OVER THE CAMRY LIKE IT ALWAYS DOES WITH THE NEW MODEL
    TRUST ME WAIT AND SEE THE NEW ACCORD JUST THINK BACK AND SEE HOW HONDA HAS ALWAYS STEP OVER TOYOTA CAMRY IT IS WORTH THE WAIT!
    Ok, alrj, I trust you. No reason though to use all caps when posting. (Its considered bad form). We will see what Honda comes out with when it arrives. If they push the envelope as they did with the new Civic which is now way ahead of the competition, then it may be a very good vehicle. With that said, its a matter of personal preferences between the top 2 vehicles in a very crowded and very competitive segment.

You may want to read Edmunds 4 car comparision of the Camry, Sonata, Accord, and the Fusion (if you have not already done so). Its kind of suprising that Camry just barely edged out the Accord. I would have thought that it would have been a bigger score (bigger victory) for the Camry. Lots of good comments though on each vehicle (pros and cons).

I usually get an invitation for special test drives on Hondas' new vehicles, so we'll see if they extend it on the 2008s. In my last two Honda surveys, when purchasing the 2000 and 2004 Accords, I made comments that they should extend the warranty to make it competitive to Toyota, in addition to other surveys/market recommendations. I like to think my comments were read by the bean counters at Honda...but probably not.

Right now, I would not pay over $2k for a new Camry LE 4. I don't think its $2k better than my 2004 Accord LX sedan. The styling is pretty good on the Camry though as are the additional airbags. I'm waiting to see one of the car magazines do the same test as Edmunds, but make it a battle of the 4 cylinders.
    okay u are comparing the new generation of camry to the current generation of the accord, u just dont do that. all i can say is toyota cam can have its fun now we all know what happend last time when yo thought the 02 cam was ahead of its class then there was the 03 accord which dominated :P
    the new 07 camry looks like a blown up toyota echo i am postive that the 08 accord will run right over this car, just take a look at the all new civic the design is something that u wouldnt think to see on a civic it even has an option for a navi system which is way ahead of its class. toyota might want to try again before 08 gets here