Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• ....But what does MotorTrend know about cars ?

very little, if you take their horrible articles as real journalism.

....reckon at this point M/T has a very thick skin.

Everyone has an opinion (no charge, it's for free)

It might prove interesting if you could point out - in your humble opinion - examples of 'real journalism'.........

..ez..
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Posts: 5,525
    Edmunds is worse. I stopped reading their road tests a long time ago. I think R&T is the best among mainstream automotive media.
  • mrglmrgl Posts: 1
    What to Buy? I heard the 2007 & 2008 Camry has front axle problems?? So now I am looking at the Honda. Any feed back on this problem or why to look into the Honda would be appreciated.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Never heard of any front axle problems on a 2007+ Camry. I think you might have some bad info.

Cold transmission flare on a V6 6speed model, yes..... front axle problems, no.
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    Accord or Camry ..... that's a loaded question in this forum. Here is my $.02 (the length of this post might suggest I'm giving you $.04 :) ) -- I think you can't go wrong!! Both cars are excellent for their price...but very different for a discerning driver. The engines/transmissions, while having similar ratings, have significantly different characteristics. In the 4cyl models (which it look like you are looking at), the Accord is higher revving (190HP model) and perhaps has better pick-up once your into the RPMs. The transmission is more sporty in the Accord and, IMHO, better able to read your right foot (I think the auto tranny in the Accord is the single biggest mechanical advantage that the Accord enjoys. . . and its a significant advantage). The Camry clearly has a smoother ride and is better insulated from the road. The Accord, more firm and sporty. Although I don't feel the Accord is "noisy," the Camry is decidedly quieter. The Camry feels more like a luxury touring sedan and the Accord more like a sport sedan (although neither actually get there when compared to the true benchmarks for luxury or sport - but consider the low price!!!).

Although some disagree, I feel the Camry has a little more bomb-proof interior feel. To me, it seems less luxurious, but perhaps a bit more durable. The interior look / design is so much different between the two cars, it is simply a matter of personal preference. The Accord's myriad of buttons and complicated look will turn some off. The Camry's ultra-sheik, minimalist look will turn some off. If considering a black Accord interior, I do think the aluminum-looking accents on the black Honda interior are awful! It looks good, but is a terrible effort at trying to look anything like brushed-aluminum.

On both the base levels and premium editions, I think the Camry stereo is significantly better than that in the Accord (especially the up-graded stereos).

The Accord has more contoured seats and impressive bolstering in the front buckets. But, they hold you relatively tightly and discourage much shifting around. It is somewhat uncomfortable to sit in the passenger seat of the Accord and angle your body toward the driver to talk. The seat wants you to sit straight ahead. The Camry's seats are much wider feeling and likely better for large people.

I never thought it was a selling point, but the steering wheel in the Honda is awesome (at least in the EX-L's)!! It has a smaller circumference, its thick and has perfect contours for a VERY sporty feel. In general, you can achieve a very impressive driver position in the Accord. The Camry is equally adjustable, but somehow is not able to achieve an equally aggressive position. It may simply be a matter of the bolstered seats and sporty wheel in the Accord???

With regard to the exterior, you just have to decide which style you like. Again, I don't think you can go wrong. If you are a wheel guy (I think it plays a BIG part in how a car looks), consider the wheel options between the Camry LE and Accord LX-P. The Accord's wheels are considerably more "styled" --whether for better or worse (Personally, I give a huge advantage to Honda in this regard). Consistent with the ride/handling characteristics, I think the Accord looks more sporty, particularly if you can afford a rear spoiler, while the Camry looks more classy. Subjectively, I think both cars fail in front-end design. The Camry looks like a clown with a big nose and the Accord looks like . . well . . like every other car on the road. I strongly dislike the cheap-looking black, plastic fins on the Accord's front grill. The Camry's painted grill is much better executed. I think Honda does a great job with their chrome assents. To my eye, the Accord looks more styled (not necessarily stylish) from the side and the Camry looks a bit "huge" from the side. I think both cars get kudos for their rear-end, tail-light design. I particularly like the broken C-pillar design on the Accord - very 5-series BMW-ish.

When selecting a car, don't forget color. Because the Honda looks sportier, in my opinion, it clearly wins the "looks" battle if you select colors and options that are sporty. Conversely, the Camry looks great in conservative and rich colors. Frankly, I feel the Camry has limited its audience by selecting such a conservative design. The Camry looks like a big touring sedan. In the same vein, perhaps the Accord has limited its appeal by looking more sporty. However, the Accord seems to be more adaptable. The light gold exterior with tan leather/cloth is a very rich looking car, whereas the silver with black leather interior is very sporty (particularly if you add a spoiler). The Camry can look very classy, but I'm not sure it does as good a job pulling off the sporty look. (Sure you can get the SE, but my personal opinion is that it looks like a draft horse with a racing saddle :P )

As I mentioned, I don't think you can go wrong. If you spend too much time trying to decide which car is "better," you'll go insane! They are both excellent! For me, it helped when I finally let go of weighing the technical specs of each car and started looking at what I like. For me, I picked an 08 EX-L Accord, silver exterior with black,leather interior. Because I was going for maximum sport, I added a rear full-size spoiler, which I would have omitted if I had bought a darker, more rich color. I absolutely love my Accord and have not had a single regret, even when a classy Camry pulls up beside me at the stop light!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    The Camry looks like a clown with a big nose and the Accord looks like . . well . . like every other car on the road. I strongly dislike the cheap-looking black, plastic fins on the Accord's front grill. The Camry's painted grill is much better executed. I think Honda does a great job with their chrome assents.

The less paint on the front end, the less available space to get rock-chips. I've learned this going from my 1996 Accord (with less painted front) to my 2006, which has more paint up front.
    The Camry's painted grill is much better executed.

I prefer the SE grill, which isn't painted. The all-painted grill has the look of a John Deere's/PT Cruiser nose. As thegrad noted, it also increases the chance of getting chips from flying debris, and if the paint starts to peel... like it has on couple of my friends' older Camrys but on bumper, it will look bad. I'm not sure Camry's grill is metal or plastic though, hard to tell from thinking about it because Camry doesn't have a front bumper. Will have to check it out next time. Metal will hold paint better.
  • moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    FYI, the Camry's grille is entirely plastic--I change the LE grille on my car to the SE as I think it looks much better.
  • hello all,

please can anyone help me let know about the noise levels in accord 2007 v4 vs camry 2007 v4 models. which one of these has less noise levels.

thanks,
    sandy
    One little note, the engines are I4 (inline 4) not Vee engines. Just something to remember when asking about cars from a dealer, make sure they take you seriously!

And, if you drive them, I think you'll find a Camry quieter than the Honda.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Sandy,

Don't let yourself be sidetracked by Princess and The Pea concerns. With your radio on, you will never notice wind noise in either vehicle.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Always buy the car you "like" best. You will tend to keep the car longer. The fewer cars you own in your lifetime the more bux you will have. Just my .02. :)
  • "The fewer cars you own in your lifetime the more bux you will have." Is that really true though? I guess it depends on what you call saving money.

I guess its buy or lease a new car and not have to pay for any repairs (covered under warranty) VS. buy a car and pay for repairs and services after the warranty expires. And, generally older cars have more problems that newer ones.

To eash his/her own..
    Absolutely true. A car is the 2nd largest purchase price item consumers buy,next to a home purchase.
    I guess its buy or lease a new car and not have to pay for any repairs (covered under warranty) VS. buy a car and pay for repairs and services after the warranty expires. And, generally older cars have more problems that newer ones.

Yes, but even an older car like my 12 year old, 176k mile Accord only costs about $400 a year to maintain/keep running practically perfectly. Compare that to a month for a car payment every MONTH!
    Good to see you on,grad. Hope school is going well. Really,when you think of all the money we spend on repeated car purchases over a lifetime it can exceed a one time purchase of a home.
  • Many people aren't as lucky with a 12 year old car.

I guess I just like to drive new cars for a few years and then get a new car. I like everything being under warranty and usually get bored with a car after a few years.

When I was younger I dropped about $4,500 into a 1992 Accord, and I only owned that car for about two years.

Whats the point of having money if you're not going to spend it...doesn't have to be on a car...and yes, planning for retirement is also important so thats where a lot of money goes too.
  • When I was younger I dropped about $4,500 into a 1992 Accord, and I only owned that car for about two years.

Yes, one of my friends just had her 2001 TL w/ 65K miles head gasket replaced. She needs to pay from her own pocket b/c there's no warranty. :surprise:
    I don't have a 12 year old car, but do drive a 10 year old Accord now with 183K miles.

I considered replacing it four-five years ago with 100K miles on it. Then again around 150K with me "anticipating" repair expense on an old car. I figured, both times, that if there comes a time when I had to spend $300 or so on repairs every month, it would make sense to just buy a new car.

I did buy an '06 TL but the Accord still gets more than half of the miles I drive each month. If I drove about 1000-1200 miles and didn't take my cars on road trips, I could have done away without the TL and saved hundreds/month while doing so.
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    robertsmx -- perhaps it wont' be appropriate on this thread (but maybe on the TL v. Accord thread). I would be very interested to read a critical evaluation of your 06 TL. What do you like, what don't you like? The more critical (both good and bad), the better . . .