Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    To answer your question, NO, Toyota has not yet fixed the transmission issues ("flaring"--spiking of the RPM's when changing gears) with the Camry. The 2007, 2008, and 2009 Camrys all still have the same transmission and software and it is very possible to still get one that has a "flare" more than 2 years after Toyota found out about the problem and has basically done nothing except give the run around. Believe me, it is very frustrating and it gets worse over time. Many users report having multiple transmission replacements and that doesn't work either.
  • packer3packer3 Posts: 277
    I drove both cars the Accord is a tighter riding car and the Camry is softer, but the Accord handles alot better, re check your interior specs you will find the Accord has a little more room than the Camry.
  • hp6130hp6130 Posts: 49
    Fitzmall is selling them for MSRP $28149, selling price $24582. Several weeks ago the price on this same car was 4 to 7 hundred dollars higher.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Wow, you trust Hyundai over Nissan?

Welllllllllllllllllllllll, I know that sounds wierd....even to me. I have had some Infinitis in the past though, and as they aged over 80,000 miles, I had problems, leaks, noises from the engine...... Now, a Hyundai may do worse, so perhaps I should take back my comment. I should say, I trust Honda more than Nissan OR Hyundai, but the Accord "Feels" smaller inside, even if it isn't...... To me, anyway. :confuse:
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Posts: 216
    Man, that's amazing. I'll certainly be very cautious before considering a Toyota in the future.
  • bug4bug4 Posts: 370
    I test drove the Camry lots before I purchased an Accord. I think what you are feeling in the interior volume is the very bolstered seats in the Honda. IMHO, they make the interior feel smaller because they really hug you into your seat. The Camry has much less contoured seats that allow you to wiggle and move more freely. Although I like the seats in the Honda, they are small enough and bolstered enough to give the car a less luxurious and more sporty feel. I think that makes for a nice test drive. But, frankly, I'm not sure that is what the majority of owners would prefer in the long-term.
    I think you nailed it!
  • furrycutefurrycute Posts: 33
    Have you guys looked at the crash test scores of the current generation Camry and Accord? The Camry is rated 5 out of 5 for both front and rear side impact. The accord is rated 5 out of 5 for front, but only 4 out of 5 for rear side impact.

Just in terms of safety, this kind of turns me away from the Accord.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Just keep in mind that the stars don't indicate something like:

5-stars - ultimate safety
    1 star - certain death
    It's not quite like that. :)

The spread between a 4-star car and a 5-star car isn't going to be terribly drastic, is all I'm saying. If you are hit in a different spot or angle, one the Accord might would come out on top. When the discrepancy is so small as to say the difference is 5/5 and 5/4, I wouldn't let it sway me. I drive an old 4 star frontal car, and have been into a guardrail at decent speeds thanks to a truck which ran me off into it while on a bridge ( a nightmare scenario to me! ). I walked away unhurt, and had the car fixed.
    Agreed. Every accident has an infinite potential for variables - and you can walk away from any of them, or die in a freak case of very bad luck, in a Volvo. All of todays cars, the very worst rated among them, are infinitely safer than cars even 10 years old today. IMO, either car is quite safe for a car - and good driving is your best crash rating option anyway.
  • jezzjezz Posts: 6
    We need to buy a car within the next 6-8 weeks and very unsure what car to buy. 4 cyl vs 6. My car is the Lexus rx350 which we love and keeping.
    Need help with pro and cons of 2008 Accords vs waiting a month for 09 Honda vs the camry 09. Also pricing, Many thanks
  • sparklandsparkland Posts: 108
    Much of my recommendation just comes from what I have read on this board.

As far as mpg, get a 2007 Accord. They get 4 mpg better than the 2008 Accord.

As far as v6 or i4- both cars are great. Some have complained about the cylinder management on the the v6. Also many have complained about the lights dimming when the alternator starts on the i4.

The leather seats on the v6 and i4 are very uncomfortable in the Accord. The lumber support is too hard.

The deals will be on the 2008's on either the Camry or the Accord.

Sorry, I cannot help on the pricing.

Just make sure you test drive in the daytime and at night. Go on the highway for an extended drive so you can feel the cylinder management on the v6.

Brad :shades:

Brad
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    First of all, simply drive them. The 09 Accord will be very similar to the 08, if not identical to it.

I'd suggest driving a 4-cylinder Accord and Camry. If the power is plenty for you, then you have narrowed your decision down to two basic cars. The 4-cylinder Accord EX will be quicker than a 4-cylinder Camry, but the Camry will likely drive more like your Lexus, while the Accord is much sportier and fun to drive.

I wouldn't write-off ANYTHING based on what me or anyone else says before driving the cars you are interested in and forming your own opinion. My definition of sporty may equal uncomfortable for one person, and too boring/not sporty enough to another person.

Best of luck in the hunt, and keep us posted.
  • james108james108 Posts: 34
    I just got a 2009 Camry V6. For more than 1000 mi, I do not notice any problem in the tranny. I did not hear or read any post that says the problem on 2009 Camry. The price of Camry could be 3-4K less than the comparable Accord when I shopped.
  • james108james108 Posts: 34
    Same for me. I was a Honda/BMW folk 10 years ago. Now, I'm more of Toyota/Lexus type of person though I still love my BMW better than Lexus.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    I still love my BMW better than Lexus.

Which bmw?

Is the accord better or the camry?
  • Hi, I need some help in deciding between the Camry and the Accord. I got pretty similar quotes for both vehicles. I was quoted $19,950 for the Camry LE, and $19,550 for the Accord LX (the Honda dealer gave us a $250 discount for being a repeat customer, as we bought a 2008 Honda Odyssey in June. This new purchase for my husband was totally unexpected as a mechanic goofed on an oil change, which blew the engine on his 2000 Toyota Camry. Their insurance totalled our car, so now we are stuck trying to find a replacement). Both cars seem like excellent vehicles, so I guess that it is just a matter of preference. I think that my husband is leaning toward the Camry, and I am leaning toward the Accord. To me, the Accord seems like a more comfortable drive, with better visability and instrumentation. Any imput, suggestions, etc. By the way, we are shopping in Memphis, TN. Thanks for your help! Dawn
  • We've been in exactly same situation last week. After going back and forth between Accord and and Camry for my wife we ended up with 09 Camry LE I4 (My wife used to drive 6 gen Accord I4 LX and loved it). After driving new Accord we didn't like at all, I can't understand why it needed to grow bigger and less fuel efficient. Did Honda marketing assume that we'll grow couple inches in width since last Accord purchase? I rented a Camry back in 2007 on a business trip and didn't like it at all. 2009 model while the same generation as 2007 drives very differently, feels very refined and we happy with the purchase so far. You should be able to buy a 09 I4 Camry LE for around $19K with all fees but before tax (there is a $500 rebate from Toyota). I've read that people in GA and CA get it for a little over $18K but this is all regional, go to the "prices paid" thread
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Posts: 216
    Is it my imagination or did Toyota "hone down" the bulbous front end of the Camry since the newest generation was introduced in 2006?
  • BMW/Honda is more fun to drive and Lexus/Toyota is more comfortable to ride. One has been like a toy and another is more like a good appliance to me. So far, my B 7 has been both fun and comfortable. Recently, we just bought a camry v6 for our daily commute. It's an excellent value for the price. I really enjoyed my Honda CRX 15 years back as well. For me, Honda Civic is better than Corola, but the Accord is not necessary better than Camry especially for the V6. The price for Accord is now too high comparing with Camry's.