Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    "I bought my first new Accord at 19. I also bought a new Accord at 21, 23, 24, and 25."

Sounds like you're a candidate for leasing (unless you're driving >15K miles/year).
  • If anonymousposts is Honda girl, I am Toyota girl. I've only had Toyotas. 94 Corolla, 99 Corolla, and 04 Camry.
  • People preferring the tough seats, firm ride and light feels of Honda's Accords can buy Toyota's Corollas for about $5,000 less.

Corollas don't have as much power or features as the Accords, but the ride and the feels are very similar....
  • I like the Corolla but didn't consider it because it didn't offer side curtain airbags which were standard on the Accord EX-L........Richard
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Then you'll be happy (or at least interested) to know that side curtains are now available on all Corollas. Quite a few LEs that Ive seen on the lots, additionally, have had them, so its not a brochure-only option.

VSC, however, is another story. Good luck finding a Corolla or a 4 cylinder Camry with that incredibly valuable safety feature.

~alpha
  • Thanks, but it's too late because I did my car buying in Aug.,'03 and picked the '04 Accord EX-L 4 cyl. AT sedan that has standard curtain airbags. It's a great car! Drives beautifully and I feel safe in it.

Yes, it's more costly than the Corolla, but it's one size up and I favored the Accord over the Camry because of the Accord's tighter ride and classier interior styling.

For a small car, the Toyota Corolla is more appealing to me than the Honda Civic; however, the new class leader in that segment appears to be the Mazda 3 that's said to be REALLY good for a compact. I wanted to move up to a mid-sized car and the Accord is ideal for my purposes...Richard
  • talon95talon95 Posts: 1,110
    "People preferring the tough seats, firm ride and light feels of Honda's Accords can buy Toyota's Corollas for about $5,000 less.

Corollas don't have as much power or features as the Accords, but the ride and the feels are very similar..."

This is actually a better money-saving tip for someone considering a Camry SE. Both the Corolla and the Camry SE will give you a firmer riding car that still steers and handles like a Camry.

If you want a car with an Accord-style firm ride that also handles like an Accord, the Corolla, as fine a car as it is, isn't that car.
  • We drive too much to lease. Although the latest Accord is leased along with a leased Ody. We get a total of 27,000 per year between them and we will probably use most of those plus another 20,000 or so on our Si.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,810
    An Edmunds.com reporter wants your opinion: “What are the coolest cars for soccer moms?” Please email jhelperin@edmunds.com with which vehicles you like and why. Please respond by this Monday, 11/8, with “soccer moms” in the subject line.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Which one has faster acceleration from 0 to 60? The Accord LX V6 or the Camry SE V6?
  • carzzzcarzzz Posts: 282
    about the same 7.0 sec for both... from auto.consumerguide.com
  • ... you should keep in mind that the Accord is doing this with regular fuel, while the Camry needs premium fuel to achieve this 0-60 time. You can use regular fuel and go against Toyota's recommendation, however you will take a performance hit on acceleration times. On the other hand, the Accord will improve on that figure with premium fuel.
  • lmacmillmacmil Posts: 1,756
    On what do you base the statement that the Accord will perform better on premium? Although an engine that needs premium will operate with reduced performance on regular, the converse is generally not true.
    The owners manual of the Camry does not require premium for ANY model, but it recommends it for best performance. Sound familiar?

And the 3.3L Camry will trump the Accord in passing manuevers...

~alpha
  • ... but only to the V6 Accord, this does not apply to the 4 cyl Accord or to cars in general. When the 2003 Accord was first released this technical detail was noted in many reviews, and since then it has been proven on the dyno... but Honda uses knock sensors that allow the V6 to use lower octane fuel. This should not be very difficult to accept, since Toyota makes the same claim for the Camry, saying that you can run regular fuel and still operate normally with reduced performance. It just isn't reasonable for a Camry owner to use regular fuel and drive around thinking that he or she still has a performance advantage over an Accord with the same type of fuel, because whatever small advantage was there (only a slight bump in passing time) is wiped out by the cheaper fuel.
  • talon95talon95 Posts: 1,110
    "And the 3.3L Camry will trump the Accord in passing manuevers..."

Not by everyone's measure... CR shows the ES330 with the 3.3L V6 as turning 45-65 at 5.5 seconds, while the Accord V6 turns 4.2 seconds.

And there's less than 100 lbs. difference in curb weight between the Camry and the ES, so I believe it's a pretty accurate comparison.
  • I just find out from the link below that all Honda's engines are interference, i.e. if the timing belt breaks, the pistons could intefere and thereby damaging the valves, cam shafts etc... which could be very expensive to repair. Recommended belt replacement is each 60K miles.

http://www.gates.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=GatesTBR.- pdf&folder=brochure

Toyota's engines OTH are all non-interference. Nothing happens to the engine when the timing belt breaks.

The timing belt in the 93 Camry was replaced at about 120K as a preventive maintenance. The one in my '89 Camry LE broke at about 140K. The engine just stopped firing. I coasted the car and parked it on the street then called a tow truck. $150 belt job later, it ran just like before.

I was considering the Accord for its standard side and curtain airbags, but the interference engine is a big issue.

Anyone has any more info?
  • bd21bd21 Posts: 437
    O.K., this is not new information and it is not a big deal. First of all the current vision of the Accord 4-cylinder uses a chain, not a belt. The six cylinder model does have a belt and it is supposed be changed at 105,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first, which is clearly stated in the owner's manual. The cost to change it is about $300 to $500, which includes the water pump replacement, depending on who does the work. You will not have an issue, if you follow the recommended maintenance in your owner's manual. The timing belt will not break early. Gates is giving a generic 4-year replacement recommendation, which is a good basic rule of thumb. However, in this case it does not apply.
    I dont really put much credo in CR acceleration numbers. But since there's no better comparison that I can think of at the present, I'll stand corrected.

:)

~alpha

PS- It seems to me that CR's 0-60 numbers are most closely aligned with Car and Driver's Street Start. However... Car and Driver can run the Solara SLE Convertible to 60 in 7.7.. the Street Start, and yet... the lighter ES330 is tested by CR at 7.9....

PPS- Im really waiting for the following C/D comparo:

Honda Accord EX V6
    Nissan Altima 3.5SE
    Toyota Camry SE V6
    Mitsubishi Galant GTS
    Mazda 6s
    Pontiac G6 GT

All equipped similarly, leather, moonroof, applicable safety features (traction, stability, side curtains, etc.) Thus equipped, all range from $27,200 to $28,500.
  • I want one with the

Accord EXV6
    Camry XLEV6
    LaCrosse CXS
    Altima 3.5SL
    Galant LS
    Pontiac G6 GT
    Mazda6 S