Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,746
    I can tell you that in Canada atleast, I bought my '02 Intrigue and had no issues with warranty transfer and no fees either. In fact I was surprised to get an email from GM Canada thanking me for my purchase since I didn't remember giving them my email address at the time of purchase. I did register with them a few years ago so somewhere they must be doing name/address matching.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• Hey guys - I ended up buying a 2002 Alero. She's silver, four door, alloys, gray interior, 6 cyl, auto, traction control, power height adjustable seats, cd player, a/c, rear defrost, keyless entry...ect. It's soooooo sweet! The only thing that's missing is the spoiler. It's okay though. It has 25,425 miles on it and a warranty until 9/27/04 or 36K miles. I bought it tonight, but will pick it up in the morning because they had to fix the parking brake. While I was test driving it, I put her in neutral to make sure the brake worked, but I just kept rolling! Well, OTD I ended up paying $11,200-ish. Book value was like $10,500, but then had to add dealer fees, document fees, and taxes. I believe that I got an average deal, which is fine with me. I pray this car lasts me a good 100K or more! Wish me luck!!!

Jeremy
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Congrats! Let us know how it goes.
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Posts: 120
    Just got back from my 1st major road trip in my '01 GL2, bought new and only driven once a week or so normally. Had 10K and change mi. on it when I left on 11/23, and now have 12.5K mi. (New York to Tennessee and back with a detour to Illinois). I have the 2.4l with 5 sp. manual. Drove between 70 and 75 mph most of the way and got between 28 and 30 mpg. My only concern is that the motor doesn't always light up on the 1st try. Sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 times before it starts. This had happened before and I assumed it was because I didn't drive it sometimes for a week or two at a time, but it happened on this trip a couple of times as well. I'll ask the dealer about it next time I take it in. Also, some of the idiot lights remain lit when the key is in the ACC position. The dealer claims this is "normal". Do your cars do this? Other than that, she was a champ the whole time.
  • Glad to here that your car is doing good. I just purchased a 2002 V6 GL1. I too (in the 3 days of owning it) have noticed that a couple of times my car takes two tries to light. It may just be because I am used to my old Malibu kicking in right away. I'll have to keep an eye on her. How is the stick with the 2.4l engine? I would have passed on the v6 if I had found a 2.2l with the stick...the 2.2 auto was too boring for me. I only have one little thing that needs to be fixed with my "silver bullet": I heard a little rattle from the back passenger side today and noticed that the door handle there is a bit off/loose. I'll get it fixed at the 30K check-up or whatever check-up is after 25K miles (I'll have to check).

BTW what do you guys think about the oil life monitor in the cars? Do you follow it or just do the change at every 3K? That whole once a year thing if the light doesn't come on seems WAY too excessive for me. I think I'll stick to my 3K schedule with Valvoline Durablend or I may try Mobile 1 synthetic.

Feedback is great!

Jeremy
    I follow the monitor on our 2.2L Alero. It's pretty close to what it should be and that's what it's there for.

Car should start first try. I have never had an issue. Could be just a dirt issue though.
  • I guess your right about the oil life monitor...thats what its there for.

BTW, have any of you registered your car at mygmlink.com? It's a cool website and can be pretty helpful.

Also, do any of you own a roof rack? Which would be best in terms of money and quality?

Thanks,
    Jeremy
  • Holy cow, is this board as dead as a doornail or is it just me?
    It's a pretty quiet board, not sure why.

My car has developed a squeaky seat which is really annoying. Next oil change it must be fixed!

Other wise gas and go. Great car!
  • Gas and go is right! I've got one tiny squeak and that's about it. However, on the gas side she sure does drink a lot. I was expecting that though with the 3.4. About how much do you guys think it will cost to add a spoiler to my car (painted and installed)? I'd love to get one!

Jeremy
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    My Alero V6 used to be thriftier than my Stratus I4 at 23MPG around town. Yes, on the highway at 29MPG it was less so than the Stratus at 31MPG.

Then I got a Bonneville and an Intrigue to replace them both, at 23/29MPG and 22/32MPG, respectively, and these are much heavier cars!
    Our 3.5L Intrigue gets about 20/31-32 and our 2.2L Alero gets about 21/35. 2.2L does not do all that well in the city but is great on the highway. Mileage is all in the dumper now with winter. Cold reduces mileage and Canadian gas companies add something that makes winter starting easier but reduces mileage a bit also.
  • Evandro. Wow, that's pretty great mileage you are getting. I have been very happy with our V6 2000 Alero - pretty consistently 32mpg (U.S.) when running 68mph OR 110km/h on the highway with cruise control.

It's good to see that at least some people are seeing even better mileage on newer (and heavier) vehicles. Personally, I think GM deserves more kudos for their pushrod V6s (3.4, 3.5, 3.8L) then they receive from the self-proclaimed, expert, automotive journalists.

Dindak. Actually, I assumed that the I4's advantage would be more apparent around town than on the hwy (less displacement idling) so your numbers are also quite interesting. Are those U.S. or Imperial gallons ? We had a trip in your corner of the province in October (Guelph, Orangeville, Point Pelee then back to Brocktopia) with not great mileage (29mpg US).

I had forgotten about "winter gas" though, so I had blamed it on the Michelin Arctic Alpins, heavy winds, rain and lots of two lane highway driving (stop signs, red lights, tractors, etc.)
  • The oil life monitor seems to be pretty accurate to the number of miles driven - although it goes "longer" if we've had a lot of highway cruising (e.g. 500miles a day), but that sounds right. Everything's at pretty much steady-state conditions when you're running on cruise control for hours on end.

With regards to cold starting - I have also noticed that I have to hold down the key longer, and the engine turns over more times, for our V6 Alero to start then was necessary for our V6 Corsica. These two engines are very closely related.

I just recently tried allowing (LITERALLY) 5 SECONDS between putting the key in the on position and turning it to the start position and it started right up. It was a very quiet day and I had the rear seat folded down, and I did hear the fuel pump cycle on /off during that 5 seconds.

So it could be that, or it could be something related to getting cleaner emissions on startup -- preheating the combustion chamber (which really is quite small) with the spark plug before fuel injection begins? I dunno !!!
    Have the fuel pressure regulator checked out, there's no such thing as pre-heating with the spark plug...
  • Today I am taking the silver bullet to the dealer to get that door handle fixed. It's a real tiny problem (if you can call it that) but I'm a nut about my car. I thought that you could take any GM car under warranty to any GM Goodwrench service dealer but I guess I was wrong. The nearest Oldsmobile dealer to me is 30 miles away in Boulder or 25 miles away in Brighton, CO. The nearest GM dealer is only about 5 miles away though... :(

I'll let you know how the dealer visit goes.

Jeremy
    I take both my Pontiac and my Olds to a Buick-Cadillac-Saturn dealer 5min away from home for warranty repairs, in spite of there being a Pontiac dealer another 5min down the same road, with no problems whatsoever. And I didn't even buy any car from them ever... Or maybe I did, from another dealer of the same group in another town...
    rdeschene : Oh ya, city mileage on our Ecotec sucks. I will be asking about it next oil change.

jtrujillo86 : Should be able to go to any GM dealer. My parents get their LeSabre serviced at a Chev Olds dealer all the time.
  • It turns out that the rear outside door handle on the passenger side was over-extended at one time. They had to order a new door handle and the part will be in next week. They will then keep my car for a few days to paint the door handle and let it set for a day or so. I'm not too peeved though because the money isn't coming out of my pocket!

I've been told by this Oldsmobile dealer, in addition to two others and a Chevrolet dealer, that for warranty repairs you vehicle must be taken to a Olds dealer unless it's an emergency situation. You can have it serviced @ any GM place, but just not have warranty repairs done anywhere else.

I was new to this Olds dealer. They were a pretty small outfit, but they did their job well. I have always been pleased with GM service (that of course is not including their prices).

While I was at the dealer I saw an awesome 03 2 door silver Alero with a spoiler. It had the 2.2 Ecotec w/ stick. It had everything except power windows and sunroof. I was shocked to see the sticker @ $18.5K, but then there was an additional $3K rebate if you went through GMAC. I still kinda thought it was a bit excessive, but that's just me.

Anyway, other than the door handle, everything here is great. I took the advice of the board and decided to wait 5 seconds with the key in the ON position before cranking it...it seems to have solved my sort of problem. Thanks!

Jeremy
  • Bought and changed the Silver Bullet's air filter today. I am at about 25,825 miles now, and the original filter in that bad boy was nasty! Hopefully now, I will see an increase in MPG. The manual suggests inspecting the air filter @ 15K miles and replacing it @ 30K miles. On my Malibu, I would always change it every third oil change or about every 10K miles, whether it was visibly dirty or not. I think that's the same schedule I will stick with on my Alero.

Jeremy