Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Ya.. that does look bad. I suspect it will be an option or available on GLS models. Can't imagine a base GX would have that.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    Are those scratch and sniff wood stickers? Looks like a really bad afterthought addition.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Boy, is that UGLY! :^P
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Since it's shown with the leather interior, I'm hoping it's an option. Also, what's with those "pods" on the doors? They look huge and seem to take up a lot of leg room in a car that is already not to generous with it.
    Pods??? The doors look exactly like my '99 GL2's...
  • buoyantbuoyant Posts: 128
    I just checked out those pics from the Edmunds gallery as well.

I think the new alloys look very nice.

The wood...I don't mind it on the door panels and on the console (actually I kind of think it looks nice THERE), but putting little wood "halos" around the vent outlets not only strikes me as ridiculous - it looks it too.

Now we know where GM put all those Aztek stylists after shooing them out of Pontiac. Ugh. On the plus side, maybe they'll offer a tenting package that attaches to the trunk or something neat like that.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    Dindak. Actually I live in Brockville, about 45 mins east of Kingston and work at the Abbott Laboratories plant here.

Burdawq. Those "pods" are the map pockets with the speaker at the very front of them. Actually, the camera angle makes the footwells look far more narrow than they are. Compared to our old Corsica, there's a lot of leg room up front.
    Ah yes.. home to Black and Decker as I recall. Been to Brockville many times, especially as a kid. A colleague of my dad is from there also.
    This past weekend the power steering pump broke down on me. I got a little nervous, because there's no Olds dealer in town anymore. Fortunately, a Buick dealer close to home serviced it. It was a broken pump shaft. They replaced the pump on the same day!

However, when the engine idles, I hear a squealing noise, apparently coming from the serpentine belt... What could this be?

TIA
    I shopped for an Alero in 99 before buying the Grand Am, I don't remember the map pockets and speakers being so large. Perhaps I've just forgotten though. I like the new interior, even with the fake wood, even though I think it's somewhat overdone in places. I like the fact that a GX Sport edition is being offered with the 5sp, but will need to check out the 2.2L. I've tried Saturns with the 2.2, and it is smoother than the Quad 4, but it seemed to me to lack the punch the Quad 4 had at midrange rpm's, and it develops max hp at very high rpm's.
    I should have said that the 2.2 and the 2.4 both develop max hp at 5600rpm, so in that respect they're comparable.
  • rkw2rkw2 Posts: 66
    I've noticed on my 2000 GL2 that the radio facia was hot to the touch. I was told that this is common.
  • rkw2rkw2 Posts: 66
    Exactly 1 year ago I purchased my GL2 with 6 cylinders. I am very happy with this purchase is all respects.

Ironically due to a career switch I began working at an Olds/Cadillac dealership a couple of weeks ago. It appears that Olds wants to continue producing cars for another 4 or so years. But the dealers are dropping the Olds line very rapidly. As the owner has said "the dealers will discontinue the Oldsmobiles a lot sooner than GM will". Most dealers have quite a bit of stock on hand, especially ALeros. So now is the to get a good deal on a 2001 leftover. I suspect the pickings will be very slim in most places in a few months. Olds are not selling well and dealers don't want to pay the high interest to maintain this inventory. The 2001's have a $2000 rebate and 5 year 60000 mile warrantee. Plus dealers will negotiate to reduce on hand inventory.
    I was reading in Motor Trend that there will be a GL2 sport edition with the 3.4L and a 5-speed. Any one know if this is true? That would be a VERY fast car!!
  • UNLESS A STORMFRONT HAS MIGRATED INTO MY CAR, THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY PUDDLES IN MY ALERO. HOWEVER, I NOTICED AFTER SOME HEAVY, MONSOON-LIKE RAINS, THAT WATER ENTERS THE FLOOR OF MY CAR. THE WATER LEVEL GETS ABOVE THE FLOORMAT. IT SEEMS TO HAPPEN EITHER ON ONLY ONE QUADRANT OF THE CAR AT A TIME. I ASKED OTHERS WITH ALERO'S AND GRAND AMS, AND THEY TOO HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS PROBLEM, HOWEVER HAVE NOT HAD IT FIXED YET. ANYONE OUT THERE EXPERIENCE THE SAME PROBLEMS?
    Which Motor Trend issue had that article about the V6 5-spd?

I haven't seen that article yet, but my October issue hasn't arrived yet.

Also, if the article IS in the '01 October issue, I must ask: why are you getting the new issues faster in Canada than we get them in the States? That just doesn't seem fair.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    We have a 2001 Alero that leaks onto the forward portion of the front passenger's footwell when the car is parked in a torrential Florida thunderstorm. When I reach up under the dash, I can feel water. I discovered the following information (missing or mis-positioned water dam), and the car is going in to the dealer this week for this problem...

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/August2001/articles/waterdam.htm
    Picked up the October issue on the news stand Thursday. Not sure why it's slower in the U.S. It's not in an article but rather the 02 car listing blurb for Alero. It mentions the new 2.2L and also talks about the GL2 5-speed V6 as changes for this year.

Perhaps it's a mistake, but it certainly would be exciting if true. I think Oldsmobile Alero is coming into it's best year ever with these new configurations and a new hi-tech 4 cyl.
    I'm thinking that my mailwoman swiped my Motor Trend last week. It is available on the shelves here now too. Hopefully, mine will arrive in Tuesday's mail.

Anyway, I was checking for some kind of confirmation (even though Motor Trend has been 99.9% accurate in the past) on the Edmunds site as it seems to defy all logic that Oldsmobile would do anything above and beyond the call of duty during the phase-out. Apparently, they aim to go out with a bang rather than a fizzle.

From the Edmunds option list it appears that the 5-spd IS available with the V6 (there is no 4cyl option on the GL2 as far as I can determine). I'm running down to my local Olds dealer this afternoon to see if they have the '02 Alero brochures in yet and will provide confirmation here if I can get it. The alero website, www.alero.com, hasn't been updated for the '02 models yet so downloading a new brochure is not an option at this point.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm REALLY excited about this possible turn of events. Not only would a 5-spd in the Alero go like hell (I believe the old 4 banger with the stick could do 0-60 in 8.3 secs - still a very decent performance IMO), but I suspect the 21/32 EPA mileage ratings (with the V6 auto) would improve as well.

A V6 5spd combo would give the Alero the rare combination of strong acceleration and excellent fuel economy (handling has always been an Alero strong suit, so it lacks special mentioning).

If this IS true and Olds IS making them, I WANT ONE!
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    Unfortunately, it does not appear that the five-speed manual will be available with the V-6. Nor will it be available on the GLS with the 2.2-liter four-banger. See:

http://media.gm.com/division/olds/products/02vehicles/alero.html#highlights

If Motor Trend implied that it would be, it is probably a mistake or they know something that Olds is not telling us. The web page I referenced does say that the five-speed is available with the GL2, which comes standard with the V-6, but I'm not sure that this confirms that BOTH can be had together, as the four-cylinder is an option. We'll have to wait and see!
    Looks like it is a mistake then. The 2.2L will be the only 5-speed option it would seem.

I will still try and find out more. Perhaps they added the GL2 sport last minute and Motor Trend picked up on it?
    Ya, it certainly doesn't seem in the GM tradition to do something consumers might like. That's why I was so surprised by the "news".

As far as I could tell, the bean counters were behind teaming the stick with the 2.4 originally. Why else would you do that (if not for bean counting)?

Ironically, the 2.4 was less fuel efficient than the 3.4...which meant the 5spd 4cyl combo would appeal to NEITHER the high mileage nor performance fans, which just leaves a couple thousand people who want to save $700 off the purchase price (and what is $700 on a $20,000 car?). I thought maybe a bulb might have lit above some heads down there and they began to realize the fallacy of their bean counting line of thought.

Furthermore, it likely costs GM more to produce an Alero with the stick shift rather than the auto anyway due to economies of scale. Why they even bothered with the stick shift in the first place amazes me.

I believe the Alero and the Grand Am are made in the same plant (correct me if I'm wrong). So if they decide to put the stick in the V6 Pontiac (which only makes sense since Pontiac tries to market itself as some type of performance car maker), it would be likely that the combo would be available in the Alero too.

I was getting excited for a sec there that I might actually be able to salvage the $700 in GM card rebates that continue to dwindle in my account (I stopped using that card 4 years ago). I had previously taken the attitude that $700 off a car I don't like isn't a big value to me. A V6 5spd Alero would have been just as appealing to me (if not more so) as some of the Japanese and Chrysler products, hence my previous excitement.

But alas...

GM seems much more interested in saving money than selling cars. This 1920s attitude of trying to sell consumers what the company makes (production driven) rather than trying to make what the consumer wants (market driven) is wholly responsible for GM precipital decline in market share. Until this changes, people like me will be forced into Honda, Toyota and Chrysler showrooms - where there are cars we actually WANT to buy.
    Actually, even the new 2.2L with a 5-speed should be a nice car. The Getrag 5-speed is solid and the 2.2L is one of the best 4 cyl motors I've ever driven. I tested it in a Saturn LS last year and it should be even better in the Alero.

You should call Oldsmobile direct and ask. No better way to confirm the story.

I wouldn't say Honda / Toyota make very many exciting vehicles though. Dull but good quality is all that comes to mind when I see them on the road.
    Actually, I have the impression that GM IS market-driven, however it thinks that everybody and their dog only want to buy trucks, not sedans anymore... :^(
  • Well, we made a trip from Brockville to North Bay (about 1000 km round trip) this weekend. Calculate 34mpg in U.S. gallons for highway driving, for both legs of the trip. The return from N.B. was made using 10% Ethanol fuel and with the A/C on 75% of the time (not hot, but quite humid ! ). The trip to N.B. was just on Regular with absolutely no A/C.

Altogether, we are very happy with the mileage. Our previous car ('93 Corsica, 3.1L V6, 3spd auto.) would get 28mpg in these same conditions.

burdawq. Looking at that picture of the Alero interior again, I think it was "stretched" graphically - the proportions just don't seem right.
  • I received an Alero GLS sedan loaded with features (roof, performance tires suspension, spoiler, etc.) as a loaner car while my dealer has on order a pre-owned Cadillac Catera waiting for delivery. I almost want to cancel my delivery for the Catera because of how much I now like this Alero sedan. Do yourself a favor before you go out an waste alot of money on a Honda Accord (boring), a Camry(boring), or a Maxima(nice car but pricey). Test drive the V6 Alero and check out the otpion packages that comes with the vehicle (GLS model). I think you will be presently suprised. I was.
    Dindak, my October Motor Trend issue arrived yesterday, and indeed it pretty explicitly states the 5-spd can be hooked up to the V6 in the 2002 "GL2 Sport." Not quite the info my dealer had though. The only thing they could tell me is that the 2.2 was going to be a really nice engine (you've got to love salespeople).

Perhaps it IS a really nice engine, but it's only got 140 horses to play with while pulling 3000 lbs (unloaded) around.

I think Alero will have its work cut out for it this year - especially with the new Altima coming in at about the same price point.

Unfortunately for Oldsmobile, it's in a segment where the competition wants to play much harder than they do. I can't see myself even considering the 2.2 5-spd (an auto is not an option for me) with anything less than a $2000 rebate. I would be willing to pay a couple thousand more for a comparably equipped Accord (which continues to build the nicest shifting manual transmissions bar none), but not $4000 more.

That may strike some as nutty, but I'm talking about the manual transmission models only and GM's Getrag units cannot compete with the fluid action of the Honda-made manuals (and I'd prefer not to think about resale value on any Oldsmobile equipped with a stick).

To market the Alero as a "sportier" alternative to Accord and Camry and then not follow through with the promise just does not make any sense to me. It may look "sportier", but looks are just skin deep. I thought selling nonsporty sports cars was supposed to be Pontiac's territory.

The 5-spd 4 banger in the Accord not only runs circles around the V6 auto Alero, it feels lighter and more athletic going about its work. If you doubt me, drive them back to back. 50 lashes twice for the Oldsmobile bean counters! I'm hoping they read this...

For us manual transmission fans, there just isn't a lot of appeal in the GM fleet other than low purchase price. I was hoping that might change.
    I'm not a big stick guy, only because I live near a big city (Toronto) and with the traffic my foot goes numb pushing the clutch so often. I used to have a stick back in my home town, but it's not an option any more.

The new Altima does look good but it's more money, especially when you add a few options. The discounts on the Aleros should be good later in the year or in the winter. I will likely go for a 2.2L GX with auto. I have a C$2000 Olds credit from my '00 Intrigue which will make the car a bargoon if combined with other offers. The Alero would be a second car replacement for us and given my original thoughts were Sentras, an Alero will be much more car for the about the same $$.

Our "performance" car is the Intrigue an my wife will drive the Alero most of the time. Intrigue is a better performer than a Accord V6 and it's more spacious to boot. I'm not a big Honda fan (dull comes to mind), but I like Nissans these days.
  • I know it's been said before, but given the advancements made by the Alero's competitors isn't it a crime that GM hasn't found a way to install the 3.5 V6 "shortstar" in the Alero? The addition of that powerplant would immediately catapult the Alero to the top of the small/mid-size sedan heap.