Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• teragramteragram Posts: 7
    Dire news for stick lovers--my dealer has been pressing GM for my 5spd GX and was just informed that GM is going to honor all the orders for stick shifts made so far, but after this month will not make any more. If you want a stick, quit diddling around and get one NOW. As for my car, it just arrived in the Port of Baltimore and should be available for me to pick up by the end of next week. Week six and counting...

Why, in this era of fuel-consciousness, are American cars not being made with 5spd transmissions anymore?
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    A girl in the office wanted a 5-speed Civic and had the same experience. They had 12 in stock, all automatics. She had to wait 3 weeks if she wanted the stick. She ended up buying a 5-speed Neon instead.
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    Having a left leg flexor myself, I too wonder why there aren't many Decent choices
    among the Big 4. I thoughly enjoy picking when to shift for optimum Zoom/Zoom!
    I had gotten real excited back in oct '99 when I discovered Olds was puttin' a
    clutch with a 2.4 !! Hope was quickily dashed when none could be found in Miss.
    River Valley. I never thought of the Great White North. I was discouraged by the
    problems they had with the German Designed, Assembled in Italy Getrag Tranny.
    Is this 5 Speed in any other GM products?
    Getrag can also be found in the Grand Am and Z24 Cavalier matted to the 2.4 twin cam.
  • fclspatfclspat Posts: 61
    Must've updated GM Buypower over the weekend as I see at least 7 Alero GX 5 spd sedans in the northeast (from Boston to Philly) that weren't there last week. Hope to trounce on one (at invoice - or close to it) real soon.

BTW.. why are so many of these in Silver?
    Was at the local lot Sunday on my way home and saw they had one midnight blue GX 5-spd coupe with aluminum wheels. Nice looking car!

Not sure why they are all silver. Silver is popular these days though.
    I'm not one for Silver or Gray cars (IMO)...

And I just helped my mom get a Blue 4dr GX (automatic of course)... so I'm looking for any other color.

So, I found one Ruby and one Black (each about 75 miles away from my home... in opposite directions, of course).

I'll go to the lowest bidder. So far the Black is at $125 over invoice.

Anyone familiar with these GM loyalty rebates? I own a '00 GMC Yukon (and I did own a '76 Cutlass - it went 240k miles!). Trying to sqweeze every last cent I can out of this deal (oh, did I mention I'll try for the college grad rebate... so what if I'm 35... I did get my MBA last year).
  • buoyantbuoyant Posts: 128
    Is there anyone else that's heard this talk about no more 5-spd Aleros being built after this month? I'm kind of hoping it's a bunch of typical dealer "get you to buy today" bunkum and not the truth. I kind of narrowed down my next car purchase to two options: a Dodge Neon or an Alero. I'm still not ready to buy today, but I'd like to think I'll have more than one option when judgement day arrives.

I have no interest in picking up the Cavalier or Grand Am with the same tranny/engine combo. I'd much rather have a Neon than either of those two plastically enhanced Scooby-Doo mobiles. Speaking of the little Pontiac runabout, has anyone here ever looked at the dash on a new Grand Am - not to mention the Battlestar Galactica aero wing on the heine? Who is designing these clown cars, Roger Rabbit?

I'm kind of hoping the Olds dealer with whom teragram spoke was just as informed as dealers usually are. A general rule of thumb is that if you read monthly auto publications such as Motor Trend and Car & Driver, you're at least as informed as the brightest guy working the floor at your local GM dealership.

With that said, I also know that May-June is typically the time when the manufacturers start switching over for the new model year and stop taking orders for the current one. I.e., you can't do an order-out on a new Oldsmobile until August if you wait until the 1st of June. If you want a new one during this 2 month window (from the beginning of June until the end of August), you have to pick a 2001 out of dealer inventory (which is almost a shoe-in to be one of two pea green brass hat models sitting on the showfloor since November). Perhaps this is what the dealer meant? Please, tell me my hope is not in vain. If so, Dodge Neon, here we come.
    Actually, the 2001 Z24 is pretty slick looking and it has zero plastic cladding on it. They even have a free power sunroof offer on now.
  • rkw2rkw2 Posts: 66
    I just found out that the local dealer where I purchased my 2000 ALero last August has stopped selling and servicing Oldsmobiles. The closest Olds dealer is about 20 miles away. According to Olds press releases, servicing was to continue indefinately. I hope this is not the beginning of a trend. I guess I can go to a local Pontiac dealer as the Alero is a twin of the Grand Am. But I am annoyed.
  • killer3killer3 Posts: 13
    Hi everyone! Has anyone had any issues with squealling coming from belt/pulleys on thier six cylinder Alero's. While I find this very normal for the old oldsmobiles I grew up driving, my girlfriend feels like she has a reject car because of the squelling. It seems to come and go, does anyone know of any service buletins or likely casues of this noise? The car still drives great, and the torque is wonderful, it is often a guilty pleasure driving her car after spending the week tooling around in my 528 which has less low-end torque. Anyone thinking of buying an Alero, go for it!, no other car in its price range compares.
    Does that dealer still sell GM? If so, they have to service it. Then again, if they don't want to, maybe it's better not to go there any more.
  • blackyblacky Posts: 1
    Has anyone been having transmission problems with their Alero? Mine was shifting on its own when it wanted. The Dealer tried to repair it twice and finally replaced it. It is still not right and I'll be going back again. Only now with another noise in front end that sounds like shocks but could be the beginning of brake problems. They had to lower the front end to replace the cranny and redo the alignment. The mileage was 43,000KM. It just so happens that someone
    at work had the exact same problem and had theirs also replaced at 56,000KM. My concern now is if this is going to be
    a problem that occurs every two years until CM sorts out the defect. Any help?
    Transmissions are not usually a problem with GM cars. They make the best in the business. My mom has a 99 Alero with no problems at all. I wonder if something else might be causing the transmission problems?
  • dcnwsdcnws Posts: 12
    I would contact the district rep at once. When you buy a new car, you are also buying a part of the service department. I would make no bones about being a very unhappy camper!! I bought my
    Alero at a dealer about 2 hours from home. They had the car on the lot exactly as I wanted it, and the price was right. I will bring it to the local Olds dealer for the first oil change, and see if I can get a rapport with them. If not, I keep my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong, and if it does, be prepared to make some noise.

DC
  • dcnwsdcnws Posts: 12
    Has anyone found mud flaps that look OK? GM wants
    $30 a pair, which I thought was kinda steep. Although I like the looks of the Alero the way it is, with winter driving several months away, I was considering putting some on.

DC
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    The main problem I have with those custom (made to
    fit ones car)is there is a LIP on the inside bottom of the flap.This seems like a great place
    for snow,slush and other winter stuff to accumulate. We got some 18gauge stainless steel
    and had it cut to fit.Last winter here in West
    Central Ill the flaps preformed well without much
    accumulation.
  • ananuriananuri Posts: 3
    I have 2001 Alero GL2 with V6. Once I had more than 1000 miles on, I decided that engine was probably ready for some action. Car was a joy to drive on the highway, brisk acceleration despite automatic. However, somewhere below 110 mph, probably around 106-108, speed governor cut in, what was very annoying. Is that standard on Alero, even with "performance" package (I mean, 16" tires, suspension, etc.), to have governor set below 110? Especially when speedometer is calibrated to 140 mph.
    Should be picking up a 4dr GX 5spd any day now. Found one about 100 miles from my home.

Was wondering if the wiring for the remote keyless entry is in the GX and all that is needed is the key fobs? All other Alero levels have the keyless entry, so I was hoping the wiring was set up already.

Also, if anyone is considering selling their 15 inch Aluminum wheels (that come w/ the GL1 'Feature Package'), I may be interested.
  • Anyone out there who has considered one of these vehicles has probably looked at the other as well. Any insights into why the GA SE is a better deal than the Alero GX or vice versa would be appreciated. Is it simply the different style, or is there more than meets the eye?
    Thx in advance.