Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• I am finding a lot of 2001 alero's coming in off lease programs with low mileage and the dealers seem to be very willing to negotiate. But almost all the GL's are the 4cyl. Will I regret the 4 if I get it? I drove the GL with the 4 and then drove a 01 Malibu with the 6 at the same dealer, about the same milage. Hard to compare because of weight and size difference and the fact they are different cars, but the 4 in the alero seemed to have just as much zip. I have yet to find a GL that has the 6, guess I can test a GLS.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I had a GL V6 for 3 years. It was a very, very quick car. I loved to show off its taillights to BMW 3 series owners (at least until the 330 came out)... ;^)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    If you like the car and could care less about depreciaiton (i.e.: you plan on running it into the ground), by all means buy it. It's a nice car with average reliability. The Alero and all other Olds have taken a depreciation hit. That happened last year after they announced Olds was being discontinued. That is why Olds was offering a $1500 customer loyalty rebate to those current owners of Olds (this amount about the same as the depreciation) If you plan to only keep the vehicle until the end of the loan period, I would definitely lease it. If you plan on holding on to it for 7-8 years or longer, then buy it.

Other then the brake problems (warping) they had when the Alero first came out, most problems have been hit or miss. The leaking problem should be relatively easy to fix. Unfortunately you still end up with a wet carpet.

Test drive it and see if it fits your needs. GM has said that you can service your vehicle at any authorized GM shop after Olds is gone. And parts will be available for the next 15 years.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I agree the depreciation on Intrigue and Aurora will be a little worse, but Alero should see virtually no difference in depreciation vs. Grand Am as they are virtually identical internally and can be serviced at any Pontiac dealer. Intrigue and Aurora have unique engines and drive trains and hence are a little harder to service.
    Good point Dindak. But the depreciation for the Grand AM is not good. Mainly because they sell so many to rental car fleets. personally, I liked the Alero over the Grand Am. Much better styling (although this is subjective).
    On a not subjective note, I preferred an Alero GL '99 over a Grand Am SE '99 because it had, for the same price: 4-wheel disk brakes, better interior materials, rear seat head rests, leather appointments.
    Oh I didn't say the Grand Am was good, I just said Alero was no worse. If you want really bad, buy a Hyundia or a Kia.
  • i am not offense i dont like french cars but i can say that in the last 10 years they changed and the quality is comparate to WW, the probleme in Europe we have not an NHTSA so we can not know the real reliability about a car!!, i dont know why in europe all newspapers say that american cars have very bad reliability and poor quality comparate to europeans cars
  • i think in europe the people that drive in amercian car is because they whant drive"different"
    I agree. My uncle in the Netherlands has a neighbor with a Chevrolet mini van and he said the same thing. He wanted something different and bigger than what European makers had. European press is misleading people if they are saying American cars are unreliable because the hard data does not support that claim. I know that VW has improved dramatically in quality, but I also know they have a lot of problems. Just last night on TV they were reviewing a Beetle and mentioned that they have a problem with premature clutch wear on these cars.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    Today the dealer (actually the subcontracted "leak doctor") installed the new water dam in our Alero. I can't tell if they actually did anything because it is hidden underneath the beauty panel at the base of the windshield, and we probably won't know if the problem is fixed until next summer when the frog-stranglers return.

We also asked the dealer to fix an intermittent problem where the turn signals do not activate. When it happened, a few forceful presses of the hazard lamp switch would bring them back to life. The service advisor acted like he has seen this before, and he said in every case he replaced the hazard switch and the problem did not recur. So he replaced the hazard switch, and we shall see.
  • I am debating between these 2 cars. It has been a long time since I owned and Olds. 1976 Cutlass. almost 20 years ago. I haven't driven either yet.
    Would like to take advantage of the 0% financing on American makes(probably GM, or possibly Dodge)
    I currently own 96 Intrepid with 128,000 miles.

I assume the Intrigue is bigger and possibly has more hp.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks.
    I have an Intrigue and my mom has an Alero. The Intrigue has the best engine, a 3.5L DOHC which is well worth the extra price of admission. Other than that, the main difference to me is space. Alero has less, but it still a decent size. With the deals, you should be able to get an Intrigue GX for not much more than a V6 Alero and I personally like (and need) the extra room.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I have decent experience with both cars. Either way, you won't go wrong.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    My wife has an Alero and I'm considering the Intrigue for my next car. The Alero V6 is pretty spry with 170HP and 200 lb-ft of torque. It's pretty roomy and comes with a lot of nice features (traction control, keyless entry, 60/40 folding rear seats, cargo net, passenger reading light). The Intrigue is basically the same except it has 215HP and 230lb-ft of tourque (of course, it also weighs 200lbs more). It's a little bigger and also has stability control and automatic dual climate control.

I guess it depends on whether you want to pay more for more power and roominess, but the Alero is a great car.
  • Hello Alerogrrl,
    This is my first time to the board and I'm unfamiliar with auto terminology. I own a 2000 Alero GLS (I think that's the model the works minus a spoiler). About six months ago I had a clicking-like noise coming from the driver's front about where the tire is. We brought it to the dealer and was diagnosed as a strut problem. They ordered a part and the noise was gone. Perhaps this could be your problem.
  • Mirth mentioned stability control.
    I currently have traction control, what is the difference?
    Take a look at the Intrigue's web site, where you'll find what each one does

HTH
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    This is an oversimplification, but basically traction control keeps your wheels from slipping, especially from a stop. Stability control keeps your car from skidding to the side on a turn.
    Mirth is right. It's called PCS on the Intrigue and it's an option generally only available on luxury cars. Intrigue is the only mid-size sedan that offers this feature and if you can afford it, I would get it. Last year they were offering it at no charge on the GX model as a promotion. I wish they had that when I bought my Intrigue.
    All things considered equal, I would get the Intrigue simply for the space. Also this is the last production year for the Intrigue (unless GM moves it to another line) so you should be able to get a great deal on the car. You might see that the Intrigue will cost about the same as a V6 Alero.