Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    Speaking of SUVs, what do you think of the Chevy Equinox? Sure is alot better looking than the VUE on which it is based.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I liked the Equinox a lot, but I also like the VUE. it will come down to price and features. The VUE is due for a refresh next year so who knows. With gas prices going to the moon again, I may just opt for a 5-speed 4 cyl VUE.

You are right on the discs, more cars are going that way but the prices are also going up. New Accord prices certainly have risen.
  • Would appreciate and comments about the 2003 model. Thanks so much.
    The 03 Alero is the same as my 02 Alero aside from the rear disc brakes which are now drum. They also made ABS optional for 03. We have had our 02 for 9 months and it's been flawless aside from a fogged up headlight which was fixed with it's first oil change. We really like the car a lot, would buy one again today if it was stolen.
  • I have an 02 alero 3.4L I love the car for value and it is fairly fun to drive. I bought it a an ex "program car" ....with 29000 miles on it.
    I noticed a little 'lump/bump' in the steering when reversing into my garage at low speed. I took it to the dealer who told me the rack needed replacing. They did this under warranty and all was good. Now I have a VERY slight (2 0r 3 drips a night) leak under the car in the morning. so....Back to the dealer for another day, new Hose....back home again..looked this morning leak still there... they told me they steam cleaned underneath, test drove it, saw the small leak, replaced the hose and all is good...is this common to end up taking it back time after time or have I just got a bad dealer,hard to fix problem or being too fussy???
    or should I really start getting annoyed with them?... trust me...I will make their life misery, but in the end I have to do all the chasing,argueing and wasting my time! BTW..we also had the window regulator replaced and the side mirror is about to be replaced as it rattles....is this wha tI get for buying a program car???
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    Double check to make sure that it is in fact still leaking and not residual fluid from the repair just dripping off. Your luck is probably no different for buying a used car than a new one.
  • I gave the dealer the "benefit of doubt" and thought it was just residual fluid too. That's what they also told me when I took it back. They then steam cleaned it, test drove it and "saw" the leak...a new hose was fitted....I bought it home.....same leak 2 to 3 drops a night, in same spot.... do you think I should wash the area off with a hose let it dry..then try again...??? or just book it back in again and lose the car for another day or 2 ??
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Posts: 1,203
    At least your P/S leak was a small one, two days before Christmas the P/S pressure line on my Intrigue let go AT THE MALL PARKING LOT!! Car had to be towed in as the P/S pump was making a terrible noise and the steering assist was gone. Christmas and New Years came and I spent the holidays with a loaner(which was an Alero). I'd stay on the dealer until all problems are fixed. I've got a grocery list(5 items) to be checked on my Intrigue as soon as I have time to take it in.
  • That's the problem.....at what point do you get fed up trying to get the stuff fixed V time spent at dealership...It does appear however, the leaking has stopped..2 days no drips..maybe this time it was just residual fluid ??
  • Our driveway slopes up at about a 15 degree angle from the street, and the garage doors are old wooden ones we have to open and close ourselves. At one point this winter, the driveway was icy enough you could slide down it in your winter boots. Sometimes it was covered with a light layer of snow, sometimes not.

Even on that surface, our Michelin Arctic Alpins had good grip: I could pull out of the garage, come to a stop in the driveway, and the ABS wouldn't actuate. Similarly, backing up into the garage from the street was no problem - no low traction light coming on.

I'm not trying to slam the brakes or really hitting the gas when I'm backing into the driveway of course, but this is pretty darned impressive for a non-studded (they're not allowed in Ontario) tire. They seem to handle 2-3" of snow OK as well, although you can feel them "digging into" snow, and sometimes get a low-traction light on there. Still quite secure.
  • well, a week later and there has been no more dripping... so hopefully this time it is fixed.
    Now I'm just waiting for the dealer to call me to tell me my new side mirror is in and painted..
    overall, I'm very pleased with "Alice" as my wife has named her!
    I find the standard BF Goodies to be great in the snow. We just has a big snow storm last night and we drove right through the 10 cm of snow on the ground no problem.
  • jpelderjpelder Posts: 235
    I too think the standard BF Goodies are good in the snow. I have enjoyed trying to make the traction control kick in. This car is very good in bad weather. The more I drive this car, the more I like it. I would like to read a recent review of the new engine and 5 speed getrag.
  • I have had my 99 Alero GLS for about 10 months now, I love it, it's very quick and the handling is great, but my tires all 4 of them seem to have a slow leak, I have to fill them up about 5-10 lbs about every 2-3 weeks, is this normal for the Alero. Also I've filled my Anti-Freeze 2 times in the last year also, is anyone else experiences these problems.

thanks
    machine : No. I think you may have a problems with your tires. As for the anti-freeze, do you see any leaking under your car after it's been parked?

jpelder : No one seems to ever review Oldsmobiles anymore. The Alero is one of the best cars for the money on the road but because part of a dead division, it gets zippo. More snow tonight here so more ABS and TC fun tomorrow morning.
  • I have one tire that loses about 5lbs. pressure every week. (2001 Alero GL2 w/ Eagle RS-A's). The pressure monitor does such a good job of nitifying me that I have not bothered to have anyone look at the tire yet!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    If you have aluminum alloy wheels, one of the downsides of these wheels is that it is more difficult to maintain a seal between the tire bead and the wheel-generally showing up as a slow leak in cold weather. Likely this is because aluminum has a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than steel. I had this happen to me on one wheel out of four after buying new tires. Slow leak didn't show up until cold weather. The fix was to slop more sealant on the bead when remounting the tire. This might be your problem. Then again, you could have a slow leaking puncture.
  • dpkalerodpkalero Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with theirs???

I had mine fixed under warranty (99 olds GLS) 18 months ago. Now my warranty just expired and its going to cost 800 bucks to replace it again!!

I'm currently fighting GM on this one.

Any suggestions from anybody??
  • ozznetozznet Posts: 81
    I am thinking of buying a 2002 Alero and I was just wondering what the most common problems with this car are or If I should even bother looking at one.
    Thanks.
    We meet again. Actually we have an 02 Alero. We got a $2000 Olds credit when they abandoned the brand back in 2001 so we decided to take advantage and get a baby Olds.

The car has been great. We have a GX with the 4 cyl Ecotec which I recommend as it will save you a few bucks. The 02 is the last year with 4 wheel discs and ABS standard so it's a good year to buy. We have had 1 issue so far, a fogged up head light. Other wise it's been completely problem free for the 9 months since we bought.

I thought you were getting an Intrigue?
  • ozznetozznet Posts: 81
    Just in case I can't find a 02 Intrigue. Just exploring my options. Also maybe a Grand Prix.
    Intrigue is a better car over all as it should be since it's more expensive. The 3.5L twin cam in the Intrigue is worth the extra $$ IMO. It's one of the best V6 motors made for a mid-size sedan.
  • shanianshanian Posts: 26
    Any comments on the front headroom in the Alero? Also how many have actually used it to haul 4 adults?
    I have an 02 GL 4 cyl with about 14K miles, no unscheduled visits so far, only oil changes.
    It has been quite rattle free, and would have been a great commute car which was the reason for opting for the 4cyl., but now I have joined a carpool and have to drive only 1-2 times a week, but with 4 peeps. So have been using my Intrigue for this duty which is my wife's car.
    Since she has been used to the Intrigue, she does not care for the Alero.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,564
    I don't own an Alero, but can comment on rear seats in a four door sedan we rented on vacation last year. The rear seating position seemed to be very low in the car, such that my college age average height son looked like he was ten years old again, he sat so low. It was not particularly comfortable. The front seats seemed fine, however all of our family is average height or less.
    Rear seats are not great for adults much over 5'8 in my opinion. We have a 2 year old daughter that sits back there in ours, but I have never sat back there for more than 30 seconds. It's not the worst car for 4 adults, but the Malibu <for example> has more leg room.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    "The 3.5L twin cam in the Intrigue is worth the extra $$ IMO. It's one of the best V6 motors made for a mid-size sedan."

worth the extra dollars.......I think so also....see now if we had the option of getting it in the other GM cars like Impala, Regal, Grand Prix..........

really my 3800 *bashing* is just a point I'm trying to make about the fact that yes, the 3800 is a decent motor, but look, you may just like the values of the DOHC shortstar more. Why not offer this goodness to more folks in more of GM's cars? Why would anyone NOT want to put it in the GP, etc? Give people the choice to decide and let them drive it side by side and make their decision upon actually driving it....not just saying, 'the 3800 is fine, I don't need anything newer and neither do the rest of you'.

I'd bet others would think so to if they had the option of getting it. I'd bet that 70% or more of folks would opt for the Shortstar over the 3800 if given the choice.

Too bad the Shortstar was dropped. They could have continued production on it for some of GM's other cars.
    It was prohibitively expensive to get the 3.5L up to new emission standards. That's the main reason it was killed. Apparently it was also too expensive to build vs other GM DOHC V6 motors that were in the pipes and will be coming next year like the new 3.6L
  • My 99 Alero GL has been running flawlessly, despite that I bought it used. The only thing that bothers me is an occassional rattle emanating from under the hood whenever the vehicle idles at a stop light. This doesn't happen often but when it does, its more annoying than anything. I've tried to feel around for loose wiring but nothing moves. Any thoughts?

To answer some of the questions regarding long start times, I use a synthetic blend oil and the start time is the same as when I first bought it at 19K. The car is approaching 60K and the lube shop I took it to accidently put standard oil in the engine. Boy, I could tell instantly that something wasn't right. After making them drain it and replacing it with Synthetic blend, it turned over beautifully. A couple extra bucks well worth spending.

Cheers
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    well lets hope the 3.6L and 3.2L variants of this new global engine are made available in many GM offerings because people deserve the choice to be able to get something besides the pushrod options.

Expense is not an issue if all competitors have it standard or available as an option.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    Expensive is everything: ever wondered why there's no Civic V6 and a Camry V6 nears $30G?