Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Well, the day ended up differently than I expected. Fully intended to buy from the local dealer, but their best price was about $700-800 more than the price I got from Humberview via www.Autobytel.ca. Local refused to match it so I agreed to buy from Humberview.

Price was C$20886 + freight ect. and tax for a ruby red GX with auto and power seat. Pretty fair and almost what I thought I could get it for. I wanted polo green, but then my wife decided she liked the red better so I caved as I like the red just so much.

Still have to sign the papers and finalize it all. Should pick it up the end of next week as we have paid for this month's lease anyway. Looking forward to getting the car!!
  • cpwingnutcpwingnut Posts: 49
    I'm sure you'll love it. We thought about the Ruby Red too but my bro-in-law just bought an Accord in that same color so we chose the silver. It has been great at hidding the dirt and salt, it never looks dirty.

I've heard good things about Humberview. Its a little out of your way though! I work close to them and was there two weeks ago to test drive a 99 jetta for a second car but we were too far apart on the trade of my 96 jetta. Should have taken the offer because a few days later my engine blew. $3500 later and I'm rolling again. But it was nice driving the Alero for two weeks while it was down. I hate to put too many k's on it though.
    Humberview is not far, it's 15-20 minutes down the QEW. I actually know the dealership also as we have tested a couple of cars there in the past. Gray would have been great, but our Intrigue is gray and I don't want two cars the same color. Red should not be too bad to keep clean, better than the black we have now for sure!

Sorry to hear your Jetta died. Are you still getting the $12K Cav?
    It was pretty peppy for a 115hp 2.2L. After the last two days though I'm not sure I want to get a car w/o air. My Jetta has a 3 month warranty with the used engine I had put in so I'll ride it out till June. At least it has air.

I looked at some 99-01 Aleros but I have read lots of posts about brake rotor problems and other things like that. And the 2.4L is not supposed to be very good either. Maybe thats just compared to the 2.2L though. They had a nice Black one there. But no 5 speed :(

Your right about black though. My Jetta is black and it always looks dirty. Even one day after washing it. And all the scratches show very easily.
    The base Cavalier 2.2L is actually not that bad, especially with the stick. For the price, it's a good deal. The only down side is that city mileage is not all that great.

The old 2.4L in the Alero is ok, but it's pretty noisy from what I remember when testing a Z24 back in 1996/97. Maybe the late models are better. Lots of power though!
  • shanianshanian Posts: 26
    The Alero 2.2 Ecotec is actually 140hp not 115.
    Horsepower: 140hp @ 5600 rpm
    Torque: 150ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm
    Thanks, but I already knew that. I was talking about the 2.2L SFI in the base Cavalier (see end of previous post). I was thinking of getting one of those as a second car.

But while were on the subject, Anyone know how to get extra ponies from the 2.2 Ecotec? Maybe a chip or exhaust. There must be someing out there, these engines have been around for over a year now.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    As this engine is also used in the Saturn L-series, www.saturnfans.com might be a good place to look for links to chip/exhaust manufacturers that offer products. I would definitely say you'd want "hardware" that's for the Alero specifically, as I'm sure there's many differences in the two implementations of the same power plant.

Good luck, and maybe post what you find and do for others?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Posts: 1,110
    rsm racing has a bunch of stuff
    I'm hoping there is a K&N filter for the Ecotec. Some quick HP right there.

Running into a little snag as the dealer says I can't use the Olds credit and the upgrade credit together on the Alero. I called GM Canada today and they said there should be no problem and they could be used together. Ugg! Anyway, I'm scheduled to pick up the car on April 29th, just waiting for a final verdict on this credit issue.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    seems to me you can do what GM Canada says. Thje dealer most likely either doesn't know that or is trying to scam.
    Actually the dealer just doesn't want to get charged back the $1000 if they give it to me and shouldn't have. The regional manager says no, but the CSR at GM says no problem. Not sure who to believe. It's in the dealer's interest to have me get it. Costs them nothing and it could cost them a sale if I don't get it.
    Sorry to hear about your snag. There shouldn't be a problem though. If I remember correctly it says right on the coupon that it can be combined with other offers and/or specials. They are corporate discounts that the dealer gets credit for so if GM Canada says its ok then there should be no problem.

As for the K&N. I haven't tried getting one yet(waiting till I need to change original). It should be no problem though. If there is no listing for A 2.2L Alero yet at your local store, I'm sure its a standard GM dimention that you can probably match up. Just call the dealer parts department and ask what other cars use the same filter part #.

Is there a website for rsm racing? Or perhaps a location close to Toronto?
  • K&N Products manufactures a "filter/charger" for this ubiquitous motor. The part number is 33-2160.
  • yellowdryellowdr Posts: 41
    I promised a friend to check this site for him regarding his Alero. He and his wife were excited to get their car 5 months ago but the problem is they never get to drive it. They love the way it handles, when it starts, but it is always in the shop 7 times in five months.
    GM tells them that is what the warranty is for but that is not a comfort.

Consumer report now rates the 'oo' and '01' Alero lowest in dependability and and resale.

Does my friend just have a lemon? Example of problems:
    Mirror doesn't adjust, it gets fixed, then the mirror falls off when they get it back.
    It is so bad that they have contacted an attorney. They don't expect these problems from a new vehicle or that reaction from GM.

Good luck with your Aleros.
    yellowdr : Sounds like a possible lemon. Alero has very average reliability (not sure what you read) and these items you mention sound to be partly incompetence on the part of the dealer to fix the car properly. My mom's Alero has been nearly flawless in 3 years aside from a sticky door.

cpwingnut : It's actually a line in a policy book that states one can never use two credit coupons together on one car. We have time to sort it all out as I don't take delivery for another week.
    Sorry to hear about your friends Alero problems. I have read previous posts about hard starts, but they seem to be the older models. The 2.2L ecotec seems to be a good upgrade this year. Is your friends car a 4 or 6cyl?

Dindak was right about the mirror, it sounds like dealer incompetantcy. I hope things get better for them.

Dindak, that seems weird. If you can't combine discounts, why can people use their GM Visa points? Besides, if GM Canada said it was ok, just get them to fax you it in writing before you go in to the dealer. Then if he still tries to squirm out of it, you can show it to him.

A friend of mine who recently bought a new car had a GM suppliers discount coupon and used it plus the olds loyalty coupon and his GM Visa points. Thats three discounts?

Good luck next week!
  • rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    Unfortunately, your friend's car sounds like a lemon. We bought a 2000 Alero (used), and are really enjoying this car. We've had only two problems: a tire puncture after running over a screw (obviously not the result of any defect in the car), and the plastic button on the gear shift handle broke off (this was under warranty, and the entire assembly was replaced free-of-charge). Other than those two things, our Alero has been trouble-free, and we love it. I'm sorry to hear your friend and his wife are having so much trouble with theirs.

Someone else on another bulletin board I post to has had multiple problems with her Alero, and she's not had much satisfaction getting these things repaired by her dealer. On the other hand, our experience with our local GM service centre has been excellent. So I guess it depends on the car, and who you're dealing with.