Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• My Coll. Ed. came with everything except the XM radio. I bought a Roady 2 for a 1/3 of the price (plus I got a free home kit), and have it mounted in the front cup holder with a Belkin TuneDok. (Can't use the front cup holder for much else... my only quibble with the car so far... poor cupholders) My dealer had absolutely zilch about the collector's edition, etc., so I took a few brochures with the DVDs. Once in a while, you'll see stuff on Ebay for the collector's edition (posters, flyers, etc.).
    I'm waiting on some parts from GMPartsDirect.com... ordered a trunk tray, splash guards and extra mats (I put the originals in the house so I wouldn't mess them up).
    At a restaurant a few weeks ago, the valet told me the car looked real sharp. I do enjoy driving it.
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    I'm glad to hear you also like the car. IIRC, there are several pix posted earlier on this thread that show the final Alero coming off the assembly line, autographed by the folks who built it.

Best line I heard about my new car was from my neighbor. To make a long story short, her husband knocked a door and bicycle into my '03 Aurora that was in my garage while trying to borrow my extension ladder. His wife thought it was the Alero, and said to me "Well, we'll certainly pay for the damage--I'm just glad it was not your collector's edition car!" Me too. Especially since it was not the Aurora's first time going to the body shop!
  • jhs70jhs70 Posts: 213
    My son has a '99 Alero 2 dr 6-cyl Alero. Very nice car and he's real proud of it. Two "issues" though:
    1-The check engine light and another idiot light just won't go off when he tries to reset them. THere doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" with the car that would make the lights go on. Any ideas on that?
    2-when the engine is rev'ed to about 4k RPM the engine tries to move to a lower RPM, almost like there's some kind of governor on it. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? (Of course, WHY he thinks he needs to be at that RPM is a topic we've also discussed!)

THANKS ALERO FANS!
  • I've noticed that when I have my lights on in my Alero, the floor console (where the automatic gear shift is) gets very hot, especially where the P R and N letters are. I'm presuming this is due to the bulb that is hidden below to illuminate these letters. Has anyone else had this problem before? I'm taking my car in for its first oil change in a few weeks, and I want the dealer to look at it. If anyone else has had this problem, please let me know on this board. Thanks!
  • mikey00mikey00 Posts: 462
    I drove for 30 minutes with the headlights on and the interior light intensity adjusted to max briteness. The console got pretty warm in that area but not what I would call hot. It was not hot enough where I would have to pull my hand away. It may get hotter after 30 minutes. You might try to adjust your interior britness down a bit and see if this helps.
    I had to do another trip tonight, this one about 35 minutes. After driving for that time with the headlights on and the intreior intensity all the way up, I could gently lay my index finger on top of the indicators and keep it there. If I put pressure on my index finger I had to remove it due to the heat. I guess it does get pretty hot in that area.
  • I went to the dealer yesterday and described the problem, and the service rep said that they do know about the console getting hot, but there's no safety issue and no repair necessary. He said that the only way it would cool down is if the bulbs burned out. Needless to say, I thought this was a pretty poor answer. I also wrote to the online GM service center and they said they have heard of no problems with the console.

Currently, I do drive with the interior dash lights on low to keep the floor console from heating up too much, but my arm tends to lean on the arm rest and my hand often rests near the hot area on the console. I'm going to see if I can open up the console soon and check what's going on with the bulbs (are they too close to the console? can they be disconnected?).

The main reason I worry is that I drove a rental Alero earlier this year which had it's floor console lights (P, R, N, D, ...) with blister cracks, presumably due to the heat. I don't want that happening to my car too.
  • Sorry that I haven't been on in a REALLY long time. I have been busy with school (my first year at Colorado State -- GO RAMS!).

My car is doing awesome. I have some bad news though...I have to sell her. My insurance on this car is killing me and with a car payment on top of that, I just can't do it. All I really need is a cheepo to get me to and from work every now and then, which is like a 5 mile drive, and something to get me 75 miles to and from home every other weekend or so. I found a 95 Saturn SL2 with 130K miles on it for only $900. I think I might spring for that. I hear that Saturns can go forever without problems...some have bad alternators or valve cover gaskets, but that's the same with these Alero's. I'm EXTREMELY depressed over this, but hey...what can I do?

Hope everyone is doing okay here...

Jeremy
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I think your making a bad move with that SL2, especially if it has a quad 4 engine (not sure if the SL2 came with it or if it was an option). At 130K I really think your asking for some major repair bills. Also, I don't know what the situation is with your Alero as far as equity in the car, but the resale is not good on it, so you may take a beating in the sale.
    Have you considered re-financing it for a longer term with lower payments? In your situation that may be an option, even if not the most desirable one, and at least you know what you have. You can't do much about the cost of insurance though.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Looks like a 95 SL2 was only available with the 1.9L, not the quad 4, but I still feel the same way.
  • skibry1skibry1 Posts: 174
    Refinance will cost ya...but you know her history.
    Anything with 6 digits could be more costly than your cp+ins.
  • You guys all have really good points. I have to admit too, that while I was washing my car today, I sort of changed my mind. I REALLY don't want to sell it, but I worked two jobs in high school just so I could have something this nice. Right now I am working out some sinarios to see if I can keep it. I don't know tho...

Jeremy
    Good to see you posting again--you seemed to be the one that kept the Alero thread going. I have an '04 collector's edition that I am enjoying. I hope you are able to work it out so you can keep yours. Good luck to you with your car issue and also with your studies.
  • Thanks for your comments, guys. Bryan: congrats on the collectors edition. Those are really sweet cars. Personally, I would rather have one of those over, say, an Audi A4 that I seem to see all over the Denver-Metro area. I saw one for sale on e-bay. It was brand new, being sold by the Oldsmobile dealer. The "Buy It Now" price was $4,000 below the window sticker price...now that's a deal. If I had the money, I would have to spring for that one.

Jeremy
    I did better than the e-bay price, by far! I got $4700 off sticker ($3500 rebate plus $1200 off sticker) and I got almost $1K more for my trade than any of the used guides, including Edmunds. It pays to maintain your car--the dealership GM valued my trade himself, and they sold it for $3K more than my trade allowance, IIRC. Do I care--NO--because I got more than what I felt was fair.

Overall a great experience--both the car and the dealership. GM said it was one of the nicest trades he had ever taken--they had to do NOTHING to put the car on the front line ('95 Cutlass convertible, traded in May). I guess it also helped that all maintenance on that car had been performed at that dealership for the previous two years.
  • So here at Colorado State University, we just got our first big snow. Of course, the university is too lazy to plough the parking lots, so there are nice two-foot mounds of ice all over the place (which I am willing to bet will be there for about a month until they melt). Anyway, driving through the parking lots seem to be like taking an off-road journey. I came home the other night, hit a few ice mounds without realizing, and broke the splash guard under the front bumper in two places. I also scratched the front bumper. The splash guards are in three pieces: the right, left, and center. I managed to damage each piece. The stealership wants $250 to fix it all...can you believe that crock?? I found them all for about $30 bucks a pop on gmpartsdirect.com and they look like they just snap on. Chalk one up for the kid who refused to get hosed by the stealership!

Jeremy

P.S. Gmpartsdirect.com has a ton of parts that are below list price. (You do have to pay for shipping though.) It's a great place to get Alero accessories too, since even the GM website doesn't offer them anymore. Check it out.
  • sean3sean3 Posts: 158
    you think when you see an alero that the owner is cheap, well considering how cheap they are to buy? many people said if i buy an alero i would be looked at as boring and cheap, and i have noticed alot of lower class area driving aleros, heck you can buy an alero cavalier grand am chaeaper than a hyndai,but atleast there cas arent all old school engines designs and chassis. GM seems to build there small to midsize cars for people who dont know any better, rental fleets love GM's. why did gm ever punish us with the malibu? impala? redesign. cars are an extension of us, so if ou drive one of those, People will draw a conclusion.
    we get a good laugh when a male is actually driving an alero, i mean seriously. have some pride! they are for 16 year old girls, but were made for 56+ year old women. what happened to guys driving guy cars and girls driving girl cars?geeez, ")
  • I feel otherwise. I know otherwise, actually.

The Alero was designed to be sporty and appeal to any age group (including males). I have no idea why you think it was designed for 56yr+ people.

Maybe its the deceptive name "Olds"mobile.
    According to insurance company statistics the Alero is primarily a male youth car.
    has a target audience obviously, i guess the price is the seller on these, Is it me or do these cars yell "cheap rental car surplus" I also hear they are done with the olds brands, around here there are many and its always young girls or old women in these, you may be thinking of the grand am, which is its meant to be sporty mate, which is also gone for '05. Who do you think the target market is for the entire olds brand?, Cant knock it though because you can buy a fully loaded Zero mile alero here for 10k.or go to enterprise and pick one up for 8K or so with under 20k miles,But driving an alero what does that say about your personality?Boring and conservative maybe?

What happened to guys driving guy cars and girls driving girl cars? ughhh :)
    I am not talking "target audience ". Insurance companies use the actual age of the people these cars end up with. You see cheap. I see value. I am thinking of picking up another one for when my son begins driving.
    saturn alero? no offense but those are girl cars, do you all live in the sticks or what?it cracks us up tp see a guy in a alero (not often), and actually thinking he is cool, my ins company considered pretty much a granny car, where do you get the idea that a saturn can run forever, they are no better than a cavalier, GM has been trying to play catch up for years especially on there compacts and midsize,and seem no closer, they are already having major issues with electrical systems,,on there barely released '05 models. they earn nothing but black marks in consumer real world life. Heck, why should GM improve people keep buying there inferior products,

Sean
    The people on this site drive a car for what it is and are more interested in it's technical aspects and value. You main interest seems to be do I look cool. I am my own person. No car will change that.
  • I completely agree with you, Mikey. When I first started looking for another car after I sold my Malibu, I was so sure that I was going to get a VW Jetta, Golf, or Passat. I can't even count how many people told me that VW's are girl cars. I couldn't care less though, because I loved all of the engine choices in those cars, as well as their solid structure and handling.

Now a year later, instead of driving a VW I have an Alero. I have that Alero because it was a great value: I got a 1 year old car with only 24K miles on it with a V6 engine, pw, pdl, cruise, automatic, power seats -- pretty much everything I was looking for an more. I got it all for less than 10K. Once again, so many people told me that it was a girl car...so what! I drive a much nicer car than all of those people and its been much more reliable than all of their cars. I enjoy my car not because of what it looks like to other people, but because of what it looks like to me: a great looking and running car at a great value.

On a side note, when I purchased my car, I got a ton of crap from my aunt who HATES American cars. About two weeks ago my uncle bought her a 1999 Jaguar XK8. Today, its sitting in the shop because it wouldn't start. I couldn't help but laugh...

Jeremy
    esp if are a guy, But alero? at least go for the grand am although its another has been & dropped Gm car, Jaguar problems, whats your point? we had a new engine installed in our 42K mile one owner Boneville when GM voided our warrranty because we were 600 miles past ONE oil change, Although they ended up paying for it and giving us a voucher towars any new GM product, finally admitted an engine flaw in a small number of that car, heck i am not against american cars, just the cheesy ones they try to pass of as real cars,,Sean
  • If you think they are "cheesy" cars, that's your opinion. Don't buy one if you don't like them.

Jeremy

By the way, PLEASE start using punctuation better. It's really hard to follow what you are saying when there are no periods in your entire post. Thanks.
  • By the way, what kind of car do you drive?

Another thing: who are you to say that any certain type of car is a "cheesy" or "girl car"??? Until you pay my car payment, insurance premium and my maintenance bills, I'll keep driving what I want.

Jeremy
  • DUDE, ARE YOU FOR REAL? I'VE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH RIDICULOUS COMMENTS ABOUT A CAR. THESE ARE COMMENTS I WOULD ASSOCIATE A TWENTY YEAR OLD WITH AN IDENTITY CRISIS TO SAY. NOT ONCE HAVE I HEARD OF AN ALERO BEING A GIRLS CAR, WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM. I'VE HAD ALL KINDS OF SPORT CARS AND COUPES IN MY TIME AND I ENJOY MY 2 DOOR ALERO. GETS ME FROM POINT A TO B AND IT'S A GOOD LOOKING CAR.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    You can compare what sean3 writes here with his posts on the Impala threat. There are people who likes to insult and provoke others. Especially convenient using the anonymous nature of Internet forums. The best reaction is ignoring...