Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,067
    What do you think of the late great G8? There's a guy in my neighborhood with one and it looks like a really sharp car. I hear they're going to make it into the Chevrolet Caprice and sell it to police fleets and such. I sure hope they have a civilian version available.
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    This forum will be great!!! Free of GM bashing!!! =) It braught me back to the edmunds family and reunited me with some long lost friends. Welcome, Michaell :)

-Rocky
    So did you retire the 88 Park Avenue (Can't remember?)

-Rocky
    Sold it to some kids who really wanted it. I still see it from time to time, but the paint is really faded. The car had a CEL on and I was afraid it wouldn't pass emissions inspection. I didn't feel like pouring money into a 21 year-old 186K mile car. I wanted to get another Park Avenue, but couldn't find a nice one for a reasonable asking price. My wife's uncle died a few months ago and her aunt couldn't drive anymore as she was blind in one eye, so I instead bought their 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis LS as a favor.
    Lemko,

The G8 is pretty nice. I would never own one but.....Pontiac is the #1 sold brand in Michigan, and I see more Grand Prix's on the road here than any other automobile. I had to buy mine from a dealer in Florida, just to save myself $3K from what they are asking for them here. We have a pretty well established Grand Prix club here and one guy has a black coupe with twin turbo's that does 7 second Quarter Mile Times. I will probably hop mine up a little bit when I get some extra dough but will probably just tweak the supercharger a little and try to get 12-13 seconds times. I don't need to run 7 second times ;)

My Top 5 favorite GM auto's right now:

#1 The new Saab 9-5 w/ XWD
    #2 The new LaCrosse CXS
    #3 ZR-1 Corvette
    #4 Caddy CTS-V (can't wait for the sexy coupe)
    #5 GMC Sierra Denali

:shades:

Rocky
    Cool, and totally understand ;) ....I agree I hope the new Caprice makes it into production and supposedly GM, from what I read is going to bring back some of it's car assembly projects back to the U.S.....I hope that is the case!!! :)

-Rocky

P.S. Here's good news for our state!!!

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100108/AUTO01/1080346/1148/rss25
  • michaellmichaell Posts: 4,300
    Thanks for the welcome, Rocky.

I hate to rain on your parade, but your #1 GM car may not be a GM car for much longer.

Not sure what the ultimate disposition of Saab will be, but it seems to be one of the following:

1) closed down, like Saturn and Pontiac
    2) sold off, like Hummer
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    On the Regal - I love what I'm seeing so far. I hope like mad they don't dumb it down. They need to do the opposite. This is THE opportunity to reestablish the sporty Buick reputation. There have to be a fair number of folks that bought Buicks because of things like Wildcats. Time to grab those folks back.
  • What of the GM rumour that the Saab Aero 9-5 might be sold as a Buick of some flavor? We've been chatting about that for a spell on another site.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,011
    The last GM car I owned was a 1974 Monte Carlo. I modified it as follows:
    L82 Air filter/valve covers
    Crane HT Cam/lifters
    Edelbrock Performer Intake
    Quadrajet carb(calibrated by yours truly)
    Recurved Delco Distributor/Mallory Unilite/MSD5av
    Blackjack Headers
    3" dual exhaust with Cherry Bomb Q (Turbo) mufflers
    B&M Transpak(Street/Strip calibration)
    Flex-A-Lite 15000 lb.GVW Transmission cooler
    3:42 Final Drive Ratio
    The only work I farmed out was the recurve, the Transpak install and some exhaust pipe bending. I still get requests to rebuild Q-Jets from time to time.
    I would have considered a G8 GT had it been available with a manual transmission; the GXP's price-even with a deep discount-was too high.
    The GM cars I like were designed during the 60's and early 70's, when engineers held a bit more sway than the beancounters or Federal regulators. My favorites include:

The 1966 Toronado

The 1966 Riviera GS(I owned a 1967)

The 19701/2 Z/28 RS

1970 Rallye 350

1973 Grand Am

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    IIRC, the popo Caprice is going to be based on the longer-wheelbase WM Statesman rather than the G8/VE Commodore. I would have to imagine GM would kick out a limited, high-dollar civvy version at some point. If not, there are always surplus auctions.
  • I have hated GM for eons now. And all the hatred is very well-earned. :mad:

But now GM, when painted into a corner, and arm fully twisted, and urinating on themselves, are showing the true talent that was always there, but they were too cheap to invest in.

Anyone seen the new Aceo RS Concept? OUTSTANDING! I want one right now! 19" wheels? Great C-Pillar styling, 20 more horsepower than the Fiesta or CR-Z? And it WILL look just like that next year in production! At $16k, they will sell 100k easy! :blush:

Camaro, Equinox, Malibu, just a lot of truly solid products that would get more sales if GM wasn't running around the room with scissors!

I just wanted to say I am a convert from Honda/Toyota back home to The General!

I don't even think THEY KNOW who is running the place now, but whoever it is (Lutz?), they are re-building the company on product, product, product!

Great job, GM! And get that Aveo RS out here pronto! :shades:
    Rusty
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    Welcome back Rocky!!!!!:) It hasn't been quite the same around her since you've been away.

While I'm not a GM fan, I promise to be on my best behavior if I decide to post in this thread. I saw you posted in here, so I just had to welcome you back.

Good luck with the new gig.

Okay, I give a GM plug. The new upcoming Regal looks cool. I hope they don't dumb it down and I hope they go full speed ahead with the GS model.
    The links I posted say it's as good as dead =( :cry:
    FEZO: You might recall Rocky's obsession with a Buick Convertible that appeared at the Autoshow back in 2004 called the Buick Velite. If GM ever made one and put some XWD on her and I get back on my feet financially well that would be one automobile I would truly love to own. I'm a huge fan of Buick but I would like to see the brand expanded to include some muscle cars to help replace what we lost from Pontiac. The Grand National is still to this day one of the baddest to the bone automobiles ever made. I's like to see a return of the GMC Syclone & Typhoon......

Beth just sold a special Berger Camaro that tuned by her dealership (They have a long history of doing this) with 550+ hp (Supercharged) and special Brembo Brakes, serial #'s, paint, signed by the owner, etc, etc, for $57K last week which was #6 for her last week. I'd sure love to own one!!! :shades:

-Rocky
    Really??? That would be AWESOME!!!! It would be a darn shame to see all that R&D poured down the drain. GM, really needs to take all that R&D from Saab, and use it and not let it go to waste. ;)

-Rocky
    Nice!!! :shades:

-Rocky
    Thanks, dieselone!!! :)

The new Regal, indeed looks nice. They have a lot of nice products coming out. I think the new Chevy Cruze will be a huge hit......I hung out with Beth last night watchin' some football over a few brewski's at B-Dubs and the new GM Preferred Pricing that replaced the GM Employee Discount "GMS" is marginally better than what they were getting before. I'm like are you serious??? Another think tank in the ivory tower justifying his job I suppose? :confuse:

-Rocky
    I have no idea of what a Cruze even looks like. Any pics?