Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 4,213
    I think you might be better off with a Mexican made Ford given all of the union militancy that appears to be coming back there. Kansas City seems to be a leader in Ford union problems, so I'm leery of the Malibu that is manufactured in that same geographic area. Unhappy workers can mean unhappy car owners unfortunately.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,306
    Camaro profits are higher than expected. GM making 8-9000 more per sale than expected on the 35-40000 vehicles.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/51180-camaro-races-ahead-of-gms-profit-expec- tations/
    LaCrosse and Enclave recommended list and best buy from Consumer Guide.

2010 GMC Acadia and Yukon were awarded top honors as “Best Buys” in the midsize and large SUV class, and the 2010 Terrain and Sierra were named as “Recommended Buys” in the midsize SUV and large pick up class.

link title
    track and needs the positives for fans so I did some quick checking for good things that are happening.

The profit per Camaro is a real eye-opener for me.
    REgal Sport Sedan starts at $26,995 for the CXL.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,382
    2009 GMC Acadia Reliability 2009 GMC Acadia Reliability

2009 GMC Yukon Reliability 2009 GMC Yukon Reliability

The Yukon has much improved since my 2003 level of reliability but the
    Acadia needs much improvement afaic.

Regards,
    OW
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Have you seen or heard anything that might point you in that direction of thinking? I have heard nothing but positive press for the Malibu. And as for the Mercury Tracer, was it ever built in the States? I am a long-time GM buyer, and I only ever saw vehicles that used to be built in the States, being built in Mexico after NAFTA.

Bill
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    There is no data for Acadia reliability in that link...only J.D. Powers' initial quality surveys. I wondered why they showed reliability charts back to 2002 when the Acadia was new for '07. They have lumped all GMC products together. Why would they do that?

Bill
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    ".....My dad has over 30k miles on his 09 Accord EX-L v6 and nothing has been needed but routine rotations,and oil changes and no he doesn't drive all highway.....I don't think there is anything wrong with the Malibu, but nothing compelling either. The fuel economy of the v6 doesn't match the competition,"

Hold on. An Accord EX-L is a $30,000 car. While a Malibu V-6 can hit $30 grand, it can be had for about $26K after rebates. That in of itself can make a difference. My friend bought a fully loaded '08 LTZ V-6 in '08 for a little over $24K. The current trade in value is within $3500 of an '08 EX-L, so it is within spec, of the premium one would pay for one new.

Fuel economy is also within 10% for both city and highway.
    "......Well, when the UAW finally capitulate, "

They DID. Giving major concessions (maybe not so much to Ford, but that's for a different forum). So, now we'll see the non-union companies try to cut their workers compensation to maintain their cost advantage.

There's the race to the bottom you guys crave so much. You won't be happy until the MexiChIndians make more than we do.
    "......so I'm leery of the Malibu that is manufactured in that same geographic area. Unhappy workers can mean unhappy car owners unfortunately. "

Well, in case you haven't heard Fairfax GM ISN'T KC Ford. The Fairfax workers are THRILLED, as they have plenty of work churning out Mailbus and LaCrosses. 5 months and 6000 miles and my LaCrosse has been a pure joy (except when my wife clipped a huge rock making a turn and tore open the sidewall on the tire. Then proceeded to drive it 25 miles until it lost all it's air an separated from the sidewall. $302 for a new tire-thank GOD the rim was fine :mad: )
  • tlongtlong CaliforniaPosts: 4,766
    This discussion is getting off track and needs the positives for fans...

Just pointing out that your post slamming Hondas and Toyotas with lots of innuendo about problems is an invitation to bring up comparisons with GM, given that this is a "GM fans" board. Many of us who have been critical of GM in other forums have been nice to GM in this forum in respect to the topic at hand. Thanks. ;)
    Well, in case you haven't heard Fairfax GM ISN'T KC Ford. The Fairfax workers are THRILLED, as they have plenty of work churning out Mailbus and LaCrosses.

Are those the same workers that struck GM a few months before bankruptcy?

And no, I haven't seen anybody in any forum post that they will be happy when wages of the UAW equal those of third world countries. Help me find the post, ok?
    From post 17220 in UAW thread:

".....UAW deserves to lose all of its jobs. and the sooner, the faster, and the more severe they lose their jobs, the better it is for the public at large, for the taxpayers, and for the UAW members specifically."

Well, I would say rooting for someone to lose their job would be worse than working for 3 world wages.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    LOL about the Buick Tiger!!!! :P

The new 9-5 is some where I assume in size near the Buick Lucerne. Maybe they should just scrap the current Lucerne and replace it with this new 9-5??? How about the Buick Wild Cat???.....You old timers probably can recall some cool Buick, names from the past, eh??? I personally think the new 9-5 does have that wow factor!!!! :shades:

-Rocky
    That is a terrible thing to say!!!! :sick:

-Rocky
    Saab would take sales from Volvo and Audi, mostly and some from BMW and Mercedes given the right product. They might even take some sales from Subaru.... The XWD system offered on the Saab cars is the standard of the world. The problem is GM, neglected the brand by letting the products go stale and didn't make nearly as good of a product as they should of when they did do launches causing the brand to become a loser and non-competitive sadly =(

-Rocky
    Good News, I suppose!!!!

-Rocky
  • there ya go just tellin' us another one of yer Saab stories. Hardy-harr-harr!
    Here's a pic of some fresh new Saab products. Just ta sort of get the Saab juices flowing a little bit more.

I love the 9-5 Aero.

"Ummm...turkey...one of my favorites."

Dennis Hopper in the movie 'Red Rock West', just after shooting a cop in Red Rock in cold blood. Dennis then picks up the poor cop's sandwich and makes the above comment. The movie was filmed in the Willcox, AZ area in 1992. Also stars Nicolas Cage. The hospital I work at was filmed in the movie, though it's been remodeled since then. The outside shots are unmistakenly our little county hospital. What a trip.

But not to digress totally here. I love that 9-5, but the pricetag might make me jump outta me skin, though.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

Nice!!!!! :shades: .....I personally don't want to see GM sell this brand or close it. It will be a huge mistake!!!! :(

-Rocky
    Well, I would say rooting for someone to lose their job would be worse than working for 3 world wages.

I don't think it is the same thing. Keeping this on topic for GM and its success, many people feel that GM as a company is burdened in its ability to be successful because the UAW is high cost, inflexible, and hurts GM. As a GM fan wanting GM to succeed, this is a bad thing. Now if those UAW jobs are lost and as a result GM is more competitive because it has a workforce more like the transplant factories in this country, then that is good for GM. That is NOT the same as working for China or India wages, as nobody putting cars together in the US is working for those types of wages.

So I can easily see why somebody would want the UAW *GONE* if they are a GM fan. Not the same as third world wages, however. I think the term "haters" of GM used in these boards is a misnomer. I know that I spend my valuable time in these boards because I have been disappointed in GM for many years and I believe they should be able to do better. I want them to be successful. You can care about GM and want the UAW to be gone, if that is what will help GM be successful.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,651
    Hold on. An Accord EX-L is a $30,000 car. While a Malibu V-6 can hit $30 grand, it can be had for about $26K after rebates. That in of itself can make a difference. My friend bought a fully loaded '08 LTZ V-6 in '08 for a little over $24K. The current trade in value is within $3500 of an '08 EX-L, so it is within spec, of the premium one would pay for one new.

My dad bought in late Jan 09 and was able to get it for $26k. Once heck of a deal. Plus, they gave him $1,500 for his '00 Taurus which had nearly 200k on it. Ford and Toyota would only give him $500 towards a Camry or Fusion.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,026
    My dad bought in late Jan 09 and was able to get it for $26k. Once heck of a deal. Plus, they gave him $1,500 for his '00 Taurus which had nearly 200k on it. Ford and Toyota would only give him $500 towards a Camry or Fusion.

I priced out a 2010 Accord EX-L V-6, and a Malibu LTZ with every option clicked except for extra-cost paint (3.6 V-6, sunroof, spare tire :confuse: (when did these become optional?!), engine block heater, and rear power outlets and sunshade. There were no options for the Accord, so take it or leave it. Edmund's had a TMV of ~$26.8K for the Malibu, and ~$27.2K for the Accord.

IMO, at that point, both cars seem like a pretty good value, but with only a $400 spread, I don't see much advantage to the Malibu, unless it has some standard features that the Accord is lacking?
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,651
    I priced out a 2010 Accord EX-L V-6, and a Malibu LTZ with every option clicked except for extra-cost paint (3.6 V-6, sunroof, spare tire :confuse: (when did these become optional?!), engine block heater, and rear power outlets and sunshade. There were no options for the Accord, so take it or leave it. Edmund's had a TMV of ~$26.8K for the Malibu, and ~$27.2K for the Accord.

IMO, at that point, both cars seem like a pretty good value, but with only a $400 spread, I don't see much advantage to the Malibu, unless it has some standard features that the Accord is lacking?

IIRC, the only option available on an Accord EX-L is navigation which I don't think is an option on the Malibu. IMO, the choice between the two comes down to personal preferences.
  • michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    IMO, the choice between the two comes down to personal preferences.

Yeah, the Accord looks like it was assaulted in a back alley with an ugly stick and left for dead.

I've owned 3 Accords over the years ('85 LX hatch, '92 LX sedan and '93 DX sedan) and am appalled by how awful looking these cars have become with each new iteration.

If there is one area in which the Malibu has an advantage over the Accord, it's in looks.
    >pretty good value, but with only a $400 spread,

You'll probably find incentives on the Malibu along with a dealer willingness to negotiate making that substantially more than $400. Also, in this area the Chev store will not insist on adding on as many extra fees as the Honda store.
    > scrap the current Lucerne

I didn't think the 9-5 was in that size range. I thought it was between the laCrosse and the Regal.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Reports today said that GM trying to close deal to sell Saab to Dutch company named Stryker. The largest shareholder of Stryker is a Russian group. Maybe Russian people will fall in love with weird Saab. GM CEO is cleaning up poor decisions of past GM Management.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,193
    Stryker? Sounds like an '80s hair band.

Maybe Russian people will fall in love with weird Saab

Nah, they prefer imitation Packards.