Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,965
    edited June 2013
    My heavy leSabre routinely will beat the EPA of 29 by 2 mpg on an interstate trip at 70 with 3 adults.

There have been a few freak occasions where I've managed to eke out 29-30 mpg with my 2000 Park Ave, which I guess is pretty good considering it's supercharged, and probably a bit heavier than your LeSabre.

My average over the ~3 1/2 years, and 35000 miles that I've had it has been around 20.5. And I guess that's not bad, considering that most of my driving is local, and very short-trip. In the wintertime, I've gotten as bad as 14.5-15 mpg on a tank.

As for EPA ratings, it's rated 16/25 under the new standards, but was 18/27 according to the metrics of its day.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,913
    edited June 2013
    Those are good thoughts dave eight thousand six hundred ninety seven, which certainly had not occurred to the first 8696 daves.
    One aspect to consider is how little we know about the depths of the earth beyond a few miles. For example is the core liquid or solid, and what indeed is the temperature waaaay down there. Reportedly the temp is 70C just a few miles down.
    image">
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, en route to New MexicoPosts: 40,499
    "It was a significant accomplishment for a company whose questionable vehicle quality in the past was part of what put it on a path of steady market share declines, financial losses and eventually a 2009 bankruptcy and federal bailout.

"This is a huge milestone, especially in light of the bankruptcy," said Michelle Krebs, senior analyst with Edmunds.com."

J.D. Power ranks GM tops in quality for first time (CNN Money)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bryanbryan Posts: 217
    I test drove a loaded LTZ couple of weeks ago. All I could say to my saleslady is "Are you sure this is a Chevy?"

It's that nice...it's on my very very short list for next spring when it's time to pull the trigger.
    “He loved to sell new cars,” Ms. VanDerBrink said. “He didn’t sell his trade-ins — he wouldn’t let you buy them. You had to buy the latest and greatest Chevrolet.”

“You could say that the cars ended up being his 401(k) plan,” Ms. Lambrecht Stillwell wrote in an account posted online, which she also provided by e-mail. “Instead of investing money in the bank, he invested it in cars. He recognized the value of keeping them for the long term rather than liquidating them at a loss

In Nebraska, a Field of Low-Mileage Dreams (nytimes.com)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"We're taking delivery of our Corvette Stingray on Tuesday, October 1 at 10:30 a.m. Central Time (8:30 a.m. Pacific Time). Our Lime Rock Green Z51 Corvette Coupe will be parked in the Corvette Museum with a webcam focused on it so that you can watch the transaction."

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray: Making Payment

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,179
    For a minute there I thought Steve was buying a Corvette. Seemed like a big change for him.
    edited September 2013
    Why not? I'm 60 - don't I fit the demographic perfectly? :D

(It would be fun to have one to tool around in).

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,829
    Just make sure your hairpiece doesn't get sucked into the air cleaner.

I never did get that meme.

• There have been many more instances (car shows, random meetings) over the years but I got it from watching "Face" on the A-team as a kid...
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Past weekend rented a 2013 Cruze for a short road trip, must say it was not a bad livery.

Front passenger room was more than I thought it would be, seating position was comfortable, easily adjusted to fit me, though couldn't have someone sit directly behind me while driving. The center console had Aux and USB port but the console itself was chintzy; with 23.5K on the clock it was already starting to age badly. The two 12V ports were located in go positions as well.

I really liked the steering wheel size, gauge and switchgear placement. I have to admit I'm an old-school gauge person so prefer to have the batt voltage and oil pressure be part of the regular instrumentation, instead of having to scroll through the menu for voltage and oil life. By this being a rental the menu was pretty basic: units, batt, tire pressure, oil life, blank.

Fuel-wise I thought it should've been more stingy, with usage comparable to my old W-body Cutlass taking the same kind of trip with same passenger load. The agent's claim of 40mpg highway was grossly overstated or perhaps if I would've traveled by myself and drove @ 55 instead of 71 ~ 73mph I could've squeezed the 40.

The center IP radio and A/C controls were well placed, within easy reach, allowing me to keep my eyes on the road.

Overall I must say I was surprised by it in a good way. With the ?? being would I own one, probably not. But for a young adult this could be a good 1st new car purchase / upgrade to the old clunker mom/dad/grandma handed me down.

Off-Topic
    Spotted a new Lincoln MKZ - looked kind of hedious and all I could see is Ford Fusion with a crap-tactular tail lamp treatment.

Also spotted a Fisker Carma; not a bad looking piece
    edited October 2013
    "GM has a six-day supply of the 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, Edmunds learned on Monday, meaning that the car is virtually sold out at this point.

"Right now we have a six-day supply," said Monte Doran, a Chevrolet spokesman, in a phone conversation. "There are no cars in dealer showrooms. The cars are getting sold the minute they arrive."

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Virtually Sold Out

But we got one:

2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray Z51 Long-Term Road Test

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I'm happy to see dark green back--I've seen a similar dark green on a '14 Cruze as well.

I hate the black wheels though! I don't need mirror-bright wheels, but they should at least be silver!

I know, I know, these wheels are part of some performance package you guys got.
    One of the editors lobbied for the black-painted wheels (a $495 option). I think they kind of work on the dark green.

I like the wheels. Huge chromes just pimp a car out. Many of the "classic" European sports cars of the 50s and 60s came with painted wire wheels or satin alloys.

• jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Was a dark gray color. Though I'm not a real fan of this design I can say it looks more tidy and proportional in person. You can see the C! - C6 elements in the car and it has some nice surface blending.
    Here's a write up about the 2014 Malibu Diesel in the Holden in Australia.

The diesel is in the Cruz now. What's keeping it from the Malibu US version?

Holden Malibu CDX diesel
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,809
    Here's a write up about the 2014 Malibu Diesel in the Holden in Australia.

Am I the only one that was unable to focus on the article. It seem so disjointed and poorly written.

The diesel is in the Cruz now. What's keeping it from the Malibu US version?

If the Cruze does well with it, one might see it in the Malibu.
    Am I the only one that was unable to focus on the article. It seem so disjointed and poorly written.

That's because it's written in Australian, mate! :P
    > It seem so disjointed and poorly

You are right there. It's a little like watching TMZ on television with all the visual jumps and topic jumps.

I just finished reading Mistress by James Patterson (actually Michael Ledwidge). It jumps continually from the story to comments about everything else interspersed.
    General Motors Tops Detroit Rivals in October (dailyfinance.com)

"Quick hits by brand

Buick sales increased 31% with retail sales up 25% -- the 18th consecutive month of year-over-year growth.

GMC was up 16% led by the Terrain, which posted its best October sales ever, and the Sierra which was up 13.3%.

Chevrolet was up 15% and had 13 nameplates post double-digit-sales increases, including every single SUV and crossover, as well as its most profitable Silverado pickup.

Cadillac sales have grown in each of the last 13 months and were up 10% in October. Sales success was driven by the ATS and all-new XTS models."

edited November 2013
    New truck unveiling. Only available in crew cab and

Diesel coming in 2016 model: 2.8 Duramax.

Look here for more pictures.

I was just reading an article about that over on thestreet.com.

"We found it is a myth that people buy mid-size pickups only because they can't afford full-size. Household income is the same (for buyers of both). But full-size is too big. Its capability is way more than (some buyers) will ever use.

"They are more urban, less rural. They need a smaller truck, something they can park and that can go in and out of traffic. But they do require some functionality. The mid-size guy is more of a commuter, but he gets use out of the truck on the weekend for camping, mountain biking, going to the beach. He has been (buying) mid-size crossovers and cars, but he can't throw things in back like with a truck."

Caldwell said GM is probably making a smart bet on the Colorado. "There are not a lot of automakers in the space right now, and it could be a niche that gets more popular," Caldwell said. "Full-size trucks are bigger now and really expensive, and there's a need for something for people who want something smaller."

edited November 2013
    ""We found it is a myth that people buy mid-size pickups only because they can't afford full-size. Household income is the same (for buyers of both). But full-size is too big. Its capability is way more than (some buyers) will ever use. "

If anything, I'd say it was just the opposite. People buy full-size pickups because in many instances, they're not that much bigger, not that much more expensive, and get similar fuel economy to their smaller equivalents. Full-sized trucks have an economy of scale that makes them fairly cheap to build, because they usually have a wide range of configurations, usually share a lot of their structure with SUV models, and with heavier-duty trucks.

The major cost to engineer and build something is in the technology...engines, transmissions, electronics, safety equipment, creature comforts, and so on. It actually costs very little to make something bigger...all you're doing is adding more steel, plastic, glass, etc.

They have all these option packages and such that can really jack up the price of a standard-sized pickup, but the same holds true for a compact/midsize truck.

As for the "urban buyer"? Well, they don't need a truck at all to go mountain biking, camping, to the beach, etc. They need a crossover. Or, in many cases, even a small sedan or hatchback will suffice. I have some neighbors who do that kind of stuff...avid bikers, and they do kayaking as well. They do it with a Subaru Legacy Outback wagon. Before that, they did it with an '89 Volvo 740 wagon, and before that it was an early Toyota 4Runner, the type that was basically a compact truck with a camper shell permanently attached...back when compact trucks WERE compact. And, this is still out in the suburbs. In many of the bigger cities, chances are a compact/midsized truck is still going to be too big and cumbersome.

Now, that's not to say there isn't a market for compact/midsized trucks. But I think it's always going to be a bit of a niche, compared to the standard-sized truck market. I do think that new Colorado is pretty sharp looking, though. Wonder if they could base an SUV off of it, to help spread the development costs around? I think that might actually be where the domestics lost their way with small trucks. The Blazer, Durango, and Explorer used to have a lot in common with the S-10, Dakota, and Ranger. But in the 2000's, the compact/midsized SUVs and trucks parted company, and no doubt that drove up the costs to produce each one.
    Good points.

Other benefits are that the smaller trucks will fit in your garage easier, could have a shorter liftover height and they may get better mpg. Oh, easier street parking for the urbanites (easier driving period - navigating parking lots, etc.).

• eliaselias Posts: 1,913
    edited November 2013
    nice. i'm very interested. full-size pickups are absurdly large for my needs. not sure if I can hold out for the diesel!
    GM retail sales up 19%

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/u- s/en/2013/Dec/gmsales.html

Chevrolet sales were up 13 percent and retail deliveries were up 20 percent.
    Sales of Chevrolet cars increased 19 percent, with Malibu up 41 percent, Volt up 26 percent, Impala up 20 percent and Camaro up 14 percent. Retail deliveries of the Cruze were up 39 percent and Impala more than doubled.
    The Chevrolet Cruze, Equinox and Volt had their best November sales ever.
    Sales of the Chevrolet Tahoe were up 23 percent, the Traverse was up 21 percent and the Silverado was up 12 percent.
    GMC sales were up 20 percent, with the Sierra up 22 percent and the Acadia crossover up 108 percent, which keeps it on track for its best year ever.
    Small business sales were up 38 percent, including a 76-percent increase in pickup deliveries. Commercial fleet deliveries increased 18 percent.
    Buick deliveries increased 13 percent and the brand is on track for its best year since 2005. November was Buick’s 19th consecutive month of year-over-year retail sales growth.
    Cadillac sales increased 11 percent and retail sales have grown in each of the past 18 months, driven by the success of the new XTS and ATS.
    2015 Z06 Vette possibly in picture. Matches a release by GM which shows a small part behind front wheel.

I wonder how it would do in the 4-6 inches of snow we're getting today?

I've seen nicer wheels on a payloader.