Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• circlewcirclew Posts: 8,253
    The Malibi and the Fusison are about 500 units apart in the 19K range in December '09.

The Accord is 7K ahead of that and the Camry is almost double at 34K.

Regardless of the one-off opinions here, it's the tale of the tape that spells if the product is great and the companies are thriving. The Malibu is good enough but not better as far as customers are concerned.

May the best car win! Oh, right. They are. :shades:

Regards,
    OW
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,358
    When it comes to what people buy, it's all about perception, which often lags reality, unfortunately. An example of that is a 40-year old guy I work with in our office, sharp guy. A professional. Not a car guy. Thinks GM's suck and Toyotas soar. When I mentioned to him about the gas pedal recall last month, he had no idea what I talked about and almost seemed offended I brought it up.

I know styling is subjective, but I think the Malibu looks more upmarket, in the exterior styling, than the Fusion, Altima, Accord, or Camry. And I'm one of those neanderthals who still prefers to see a car built by a U.S. manufacturer, in a U.S. assembly plant, with U.S.-assembled engine and trans. I know I'll be made fun of for that, but I don't care. The Fusion is assembled in Mexico. I absolutely hate that about it, even though I hear it's a great car.

Bill
    Toyota has caught GM disease. Now they are on the run. There is no excuse for the way they reacted to this serious defect. None.

Today’s Nikkei [sub] says that the latest Toyota recall “is seen as a major dent in the side of the leading Japanese automaker’s reputation as a builder of reliable automobiles.”

Financially, the recall “is not expected to have a major impact on Toyota’s earnings for the current year through March 31 because the company had more than 400 billion yen in reserves for dealing with recall costs at the end of the previous fiscal year.”

However, the matter will most likely snowball: “The company is still investigating whether similar problems exist for models sold in other countries. But because the same accelerator pedal mechanism has been used in some European models, the recall may be expanded.”

That’s the Nikkei in Tokyo. Not a bunch of posters on message boards. Note: Audi’s “unintended acceleration” set the brand back by nearly a decade in the USA, never mind that the NHTSA concluded that the majority of unintended acceleration cases were caused by driver error. A truly sticky accelerator can have more serious consequences, especially in the current environment, in which everybody fights for his own survival.

It was GM, Ford and Chrysler's market to loose and they did. Now it's Toyota's turn.

Regards,
    OW
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,590
    I know I'll be made fun of for that, but I don't care. The Fusion is assembled in Mexico. I absolutely hate that about it, even though I hear it's a great car.

Actually, you're not alone. That hecho en Mexico feature is the one hangup I have with the Fusion. And it's not that I don't think the Mexicans can build a competent product. I'd just rather see it built here in the States. Although since my Intrepid was built in Canada, maybe that makes me a bit of a hypocrite?
    Well, when the UAW finally capitulate, perhaps most cars can be built here again. Not until then.

Regards,
    OW
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,627
    I'd rather buy something made in the US, but I'm not going to buy something I don't like regardless of where it's made. GM builds plenty in Mexico too.
    I'm aware of the HHR and Avalanche being built in Mexico. I think some (not all) full-size pickups may be, too. I am not aware of any passenger cars being built there.

Bill
    Thanks, NAFTA.

I never saw a single car built in Mexico for sale in the U.S. until after NAFTA passed. It was the kiss of death for my hometown's 80-year railroad car builder too. They moved to Mexico after NAFTA.

Bill
    'm aware of the HHR and Avalanche being built in Mexico. I think some (not all) full-size pickups may be, too. I am not aware of any passenger cars being built there.

I was referring to full-size trucks and SUVs. I don't know what percent are made there, but when I was shopping for SUVs in '08 almost every Yukon XL / Suburban I looked at were from Mexico. The Suburban I used to have was from Mexico.

No, I'm not aware of any GM cars made there.
    never saw a single car built in Mexico for sale in the U.S. until after NAFTA passed.

I had an '89 Mercury Tracer that basically was a rebadged Mazda 323 that was made in Mexico.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,004
    I think you might be better off with a Mexican made Ford given all of the union militancy that appears to be coming back there. Kansas City seems to be a leader in Ford union problems, so I'm leery of the Malibu that is manufactured in that same geographic area. Unhappy workers can mean unhappy car owners unfortunately.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,707
    Camaro profits are higher than expected. GM making 8-9000 more per sale than expected on the 35-40000 vehicles.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/51180-camaro-races-ahead-of-gms-profit-expec- tations/

This message has been approved.

LaCrosse and Enclave recommended list and best buy from Consumer Guide.

2010 GMC Acadia and Yukon were awarded top honors as “Best Buys” in the midsize and large SUV class, and the 2010 Terrain and Sierra were named as “Recommended Buys” in the midsize SUV and large pick up class.

link title

track and needs the positives for fans so I did some quick checking for good things that are happening.

The profit per Camaro is a real eye-opener for me.

REgal Sport Sedan starts at $26,995 for the CXL.

2009 GMC Acadia Reliability 2009 GMC Acadia Reliability

2009 GMC Yukon Reliability 2009 GMC Yukon Reliability

The Yukon has much improved since my 2003 level of reliability but the
    Acadia needs much improvement afaic.

Regards,
    OW
    Have you seen or heard anything that might point you in that direction of thinking? I have heard nothing but positive press for the Malibu. And as for the Mercury Tracer, was it ever built in the States? I am a long-time GM buyer, and I only ever saw vehicles that used to be built in the States, being built in Mexico after NAFTA.

Bill
    There is no data for Acadia reliability in that link...only J.D. Powers' initial quality surveys. I wondered why they showed reliability charts back to 2002 when the Acadia was new for '07. They have lumped all GMC products together. Why would they do that?

Bill
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    ".....My dad has over 30k miles on his 09 Accord EX-L v6 and nothing has been needed but routine rotations,and oil changes and no he doesn't drive all highway.....I don't think there is anything wrong with the Malibu, but nothing compelling either. The fuel economy of the v6 doesn't match the competition,"

Hold on. An Accord EX-L is a $30,000 car. While a Malibu V-6 can hit $30 grand, it can be had for about $26K after rebates. That in of itself can make a difference. My friend bought a fully loaded '08 LTZ V-6 in '08 for a little over $24K. The current trade in value is within $3500 of an '08 EX-L, so it is within spec, of the premium one would pay for one new.

Fuel economy is also within 10% for both city and highway.