Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Motors Fans

Comments

• berriberri Posts: 4,008
    What kind of changes are coming for the Malibu for 2014?

Drove past a new dark red Impala coming from the other direction today. It at first looked a bit like a new Malibu. I think that color makes it's head on appearance look smaller than it actually is.

As for the 14 Malibu, I just saw somewhere that they set the back seat cushion back and sculpted the rear of the front seats to carve out a bit more space back there. It has a new front end that looks more like the new Impala. I also believe it is going to have the new 2.5L 4 banger drive train that it will share with the base Impala, along with stop/go to improve fuel mileage a bit.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 389
    You hit pretty much everything berri, the changes in the seats are supposed to give an extra 1.25 inches rear leg room, the 2.5 with stop/start is supposed to give an extra 1 mpg in both city and highway.
    You missed the fact that the turbo will now hove 295 lbs/ft of torque instead of 260something.
    There are also changes to the front end to supposedly bring it more into line with the Impala and SS, and a fw changes to the arm rests and center console.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,367
    The certified Malibus at local Chev dealers' pre-owned lots really are interesting to me because of the efficiency of the previous generation.

Just saw mid-week in our local paper, that a small town dealer maybe twelve or so miles from here, still has a '12 Malibu "demo" and a new '12 Sonic. I was surprised by both. Must be a decent dealer, as they survived the 'cuts' of 2009.
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,487
    Yeah, they flog the cars and then do the write-up saying you really ought to consider the Camry and Sonata instead because this car lacks enough efficiency. See....24.7... Then it turns out even a Prius only saves 2 gallons over a lesser efficient Malibu model than the Eco for over 8 hours on the interstate.
    I would give the tailwind credit for 5% of the 20%. I remember getting 37 mpg on a 70 mile loop last summer. With tailwind cancelled out. To work and back my recent tanks show 33-34 which is an easy 20% better than the EPA combined rating of like 25.

12 vs 25 depending on wind? Wow. I remember driving my Astro into a 55 mph headwind once for a two hundred mile run from Indy to Chicago. My mpgs may have dropped from 21 down to 17 but that wind caused my transmission to blow off fluid from a release valve and make a mess of the rear half of the underside of the van. That was a once in a lifetime wind event. They said the jet stream came down to the surface. It was the equivalent of driving 125 mph. Hurricanes Jeanne and Francis (both 2004) were only 120 mph.

I saw a news blip that a 2014 Malibu has been released and it's all new.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,633
    edited June 2013
    12 vs 25 depending on wind? Wow.

That would be the extremes and certainly not the norm. Normal is more like 14-20mpg on the hwy at 75 mph depending on the wind.

EPA ratings certainly can be beat. My wife easily beats the combined 22mpg rating of her Taurus. The fuel trip computer hasn't been reset in several thousand miles. I filled it up the other day and it's showing 26.9mpg and her driving is mixed but more hwy than city. Probably 60/40. Plus she's a lot easier on the go pedal than I am.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,727
    edited June 2013
    >fuel trip computer hasn't been reset in several thousand miles.

I've not got a link, but I seem to recall that the average gas mileage on my car is based on a predetermined limit of miles driven. It does not average over the lifetime of the car even if never reset.

My heavy leSabre routinely will beat the EPA of 29 by 2 mpg on an interstate trip at 70 with 3 adults.

This message has been approved.

The only EPA rating I haven't beat lately is on the DeVille. I got 24.8 on a 450 mile drive to PA in Feb. Then my son drove it home at 80 mph in a 40 mpg crosswind and the avg fell to 23.5 for the entire 1000 miles trip. But still at least 5 mpg better than my Silverado would get on the same trip and also with a 4.8 liter. Both are also 01's.
    GM is back on the S&P 500 listing now. That's great.

Saw a red 2014 Impala Saturday at a cruise-in. 245x40x20 wheels and tires. Looked outrageously trendy. But I loved the Red. I think it was LTZ. I was so excited sitting in it and admiring the feeling of premium car, I forgot to make note from the sticker. I was shocked how the wheels looked like a new Jaguar's that I see around my home area.

I have to account for thermal expansion in my job as a gas turbine design engineer. Parts get bigger as they get hot. I was reading about how the sea level rise is predicted to be 69 feet when Greenland and Mt Everest both get done melting due to global warming. (from a left leaning propaganda source). I just calculated the increase in the volume of the globe if the temperature of it goes up 2 degrees F. A bigger globe would cause the sea levels to fall. Land is better at absorbing heat than water. By volume, the earth is maybe 1% water at best. The result is 2.8 quintillion cubic feet of added water storage space due to the larger size of the earth due to 2 degrees of expansion. That is a volume that is .2 miles thick by 3500 miles by 8000 miles. So I am to believe we should bankrupt our country just in case 2.8 quintillion cubic feet is not enough volume to hold the water melting from Greenland's ice? Last time I checked, Greenland was not 6000 miles across. At 600 miles across, that is a 1:100 ratio in area, requiring greenland's ice layer to be 20 miles thick on average, and become 100% melted to break even on sea level rise. That's only if all this melting can be accomplished with just 2 degrees F of global temp increase.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,594
    edited June 2013
    My heavy leSabre routinely will beat the EPA of 29 by 2 mpg on an interstate trip at 70 with 3 adults.

There have been a few freak occasions where I've managed to eke out 29-30 mpg with my 2000 Park Ave, which I guess is pretty good considering it's supercharged, and probably a bit heavier than your LeSabre.

My average over the ~3 1/2 years, and 35000 miles that I've had it has been around 20.5. And I guess that's not bad, considering that most of my driving is local, and very short-trip. In the wintertime, I've gotten as bad as 14.5-15 mpg on a tank.

As for EPA ratings, it's rated 16/25 under the new standards, but was 18/27 according to the metrics of its day.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,837
    edited June 2013
    Those are good thoughts dave eight thousand six hundred ninety seven, which certainly had not occurred to the first 8696 daves.
    One aspect to consider is how little we know about the depths of the earth beyond a few miles. For example is the core liquid or solid, and what indeed is the temperature waaaay down there. Reportedly the temp is 70C just a few miles down.
    image">
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,015
    "It was a significant accomplishment for a company whose questionable vehicle quality in the past was part of what put it on a path of steady market share declines, financial losses and eventually a 2009 bankruptcy and federal bailout.

"This is a huge milestone, especially in light of the bankruptcy," said Michelle Krebs, senior analyst with Edmunds.com."

J.D. Power ranks GM tops in quality for first time (CNN Money)
  • bryanbryan Posts: 217
    I test drove a loaded LTZ couple of weeks ago. All I could say to my saleslady is "Are you sure this is a Chevy?"

It's that nice...it's on my very very short list for next spring when it's time to pull the trigger.
    “He loved to sell new cars,” Ms. VanDerBrink said. “He didn’t sell his trade-ins — he wouldn’t let you buy them. You had to buy the latest and greatest Chevrolet.”

“You could say that the cars ended up being his 401(k) plan,” Ms. Lambrecht Stillwell wrote in an account posted online, which she also provided by e-mail. “Instead of investing money in the bank, he invested it in cars. He recognized the value of keeping them for the long term rather than liquidating them at a loss

In Nebraska, a Field of Low-Mileage Dreams (nytimes.com)
    "We're taking delivery of our Corvette Stingray on Tuesday, October 1 at 10:30 a.m. Central Time (8:30 a.m. Pacific Time). Our Lime Rock Green Z51 Corvette Coupe will be parked in the Corvette Museum with a webcam focused on it so that you can watch the transaction."

2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray: Making Payment
    For a minute there I thought Steve was buying a Corvette. Seemed like a big change for him.

edited September 2013
    Why not? I'm 60 - don't I fit the demographic perfectly? :D

(It would be fun to have one to tool around in).
  • Just make sure your hairpiece doesn't get sucked into the air cleaner.
    I never did get that meme.