Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• wyattw1wyattw1 Member Posts: 4
    Good advice, kevperro...I couldn't agree more.

I would add to buy soon, before half the country gets income tax refund and goes car shopping!
  • uttutt Member Posts: 16
    Hi everyone!

I'm waiting for a look-see at the new 5-door elantra gt. Local dealers say April at the earliest. Yes, the wait is killing me b/c the '01 Protege ES is beckoning as well, and I'm driving a borrowed car. Does anyone know what differences to expect in crash tests of a 5-door vs a 4-door vehicle? So far I'm happy with elantra gls scores & would like to think the 5-door will be similar. Not likely they will test the 5-door until much later.

For a sneak preview, See Autonetwork Webcast's coverage of the Press Launch of 2001 XG300 and Elantra Hyundai Motors in Monterey, CA last October 2000

http://www.aacbg.com/autonetworkshow/autonetworkshow1.htm

Many thanks for your thoughts!
  • RojareynRojareyn Member Posts: 7
    Howdy,

STILL waiting to see if my '98 VW Jetta has been totaled or not *GRRRRRR*

A couple of days ago I went out and gave the Hyundai Elantra another test drive, paying attn to the interior noise, how it handled, turned, etc. I am thoroughly amazed at the capabilities of this small car. It accelerated well, handled great, and had a nice tight steering radius (kudo's to the salesman who let me take it on the highway!).

This brings up a question: Whether or not I purchase this car depends entirely on whether or not my other car is declared totaled. If the car isn't declared totaled, I'd be tempted to allow the dealership to buy me out of my current lease. Currently there are about 18 months left on my lease. What would be the costs/penalties if I do this?

Thanks!

p.s. This whole "is it totaled?" thing is getting to be comical.
  • killerkkillerk Member Posts: 55
    You said, "#1 Don't buy an extended warranty from the dealer no matter how good they make it sound."

I'm asking this b/c I got sold on this extended warranty & paid $1,150 for 100K mile warranty. It's too late for me now, but can you explain for the others why we shouldn't purchase this. Thankx.
  • rdrunnerrdrunner Member Posts: 14
    Howdy all,

Just stopped by to see how it was going in here. No new weapons drawn so I guess it's safe. :-) Anyway, a new data point for everyone. I think I remember someone saying a number of posts back that they thought Kia and Hyundai did not share parts or platforms. If you can get to it, check out the Detroit News Auto section or it's on line version for January 24th. Kia has a car called an Optima which is essentially the same car as the Sonata...but get this.... They must be real proud of the car because the price starts at $15.2k for a stripper ship with a four banger and the V6 version tops out over $20k (list prices of course). The V6 is pretty anemic at only 2.5L and 170HP, but that would be ok if the price were a little lower. A price of $20k puts the car in stiff competition with a lot of capable models. Kia also picked up the Hyundai warranty plan. Anyway, thought the Hyundai folks might be interested in this development.

Later
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Welcome back, rdrunner! While not exactly a new data point (see #393), it brings up the question why anyone would pay $20K+ for a Kia when so many excellent cars are available for that price, like Passat, Accord, and Camry. Even the "papa" Sonata can be had loaded with a V6 for the $15-16K range. But I guess that's for the Kia Optima forum...

Re extended warranties: I think "never buy one" is a little harsh. I personally would think about it if it were cost effective, e.g. I bought one for my '99 Caravan because of my experience with Caravans--problems are quite likely to crop up, and for about $4 more a month I don't have to worry about any repairs (except tires etc.) for the life of my lease. Now I would not have sprung for the $1150 Elantra warranty (and I did not buy one for my Elantra), but bring it down some and it may make sense. After all, you then are fully covered for 10 years and I think that warranty is transferable, unlike the factory warranty of which only the first 5 years is transferable. So say you can pay $600-700 for that warranty (don't know if that's possible), that's only about $10 a month over 5 years, and if you have a couple of major repairs over ten years it will pay for itself. Or even if you don't use it, you will likely get a lot of it back when you sell it, as full warranties are attractive to used car buyers.

Elantra - Feel the Passion!
  • kevperro1kevperro1 Member Posts: 22
    You probably shouldn't worry since you have already purchased the dealer's. But just a FYI for everyone. The extended warranty is a good 50% mark-up item. It is just basically an insurance plan. My view of insurance in general is that you shouldn't buy it if you don't need it. The company doesn't offer them and then take a loss on the plans. You by the very nature of insurance programs are more likely to come out ahead by not purchasing them. Of course if you don't have the extra cash available to take care of an emergency repair after your vehicle is out of warranty, then they might be a good buy. I would take the $1,150.00 that you invest in the warranty and put it into a money market at 5% and let it sit there. You have a 5 yr 60,000 bumper to bumper on the car from Hyundai (not to mention the 5 yr 100,000 on the Powertrain) so at that rate, your money market would be worth in the neighborhood of $1600.00 by the time your factory warranty runs out. If you need a major repair you would have that amount available to help with that possibility and if you don't have a major problem, take your wife on a vacation.

If you still are not convinced that an extended warranty is not a good idea at least buy one that is reasonably priced. The dealer knows that you haven't shopped for a warranty when you buy the car. That same $1150.00 warranty that he sells you could buy for about $800.00 at any number of on-line extended warranty plans. Check WarrantyGold.com and do a search for "extended warranty" on your favorite search engine.
  • pewtermanpewterman Member Posts: 17
    Hi, Kevperro1!

Thanks for the good advice. I have used that search engine to look for warranties and have received a few quotes. But, be prepared folks! Those warranties require as much research as shopping for the car! I.E.: Who's behind the warranty? How are repairs and payments processed?
    And how quickly? How old is the warranty company?

Also, read your owner's manuals, THOROUGHLY, including your warranty coverage and time frames. It may be more comprehensive than you think. Don't purchase coverage that will duplicate what you're already receiving.

On the other hand, if you are still planning on a warranty (and I am) check what your dollar will buy online vs. the dealer contract. You may be surprised. My dealer offered me a contract for $750. I'm still shopping. And REMEMBER, you do have up to 1 year to purchase a warranty-don't rush! "Driving IS believing!"
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    The Kia Optima is based on the Sonata platform. And Hyundai owns Kia, so it would not be surprising to see Kia offering the same warranty.

I'm curious, instead of using Carsdirect or Greenlight.com as bargaining chips why not just buy the car from them? Greenlight seems to have great prices. Opinions?

I'm disappointed to learn that the GT will only have a 140 HP engine. The only thing that I would like over the regular Elantra are the blue (VW like) lighting at night on the dashboard.
  • jsapiejsapie Member Posts: 28
    Purchased my 2001 Elantra in Dec and the dealer offered me the 10 year bumper to bumper for $759.00 plus tax.
    Anyone have a better price than that?
    You can buy a Hyundai warranty from any dealer. If you have one lower, PLEASE post the dealership and the phone number so those looking to purchase one can do it over the phone.
    Hello again!

In my last post, I mentioned that I was considering an extended warranty for my 2001 Elantra. Now that I've done a little research through a search engine, I'd like to use this forum for same, if appropriate. I'd appreciate hearing any experiences, positive or otherwise, with warranty companies to help me decide. And, if anyone knows of another forum or site that addresses this, please direct me. Thanks in advance!!
    Just letting everyone know about my experience. My first tank of gas I got 32.4 MPG on my 2001 5spd Elantra. Not bad since it only has about 500 miles on it. Some city driving but mostly highway. I would say about 20/80 but it is winter and I usually get worse gas milage by about 3% in the winter. No problems with the car. Handles really good in snow/ice and it is a pleasure to drive. I really like how it handles. Has more than enough power. Driving with a full load is not a problem as it is in many smaller cars. In fact, it doesn't seem like a small car. I really am happy with the initial ownership experience. Feel like I gotten a great deal on a really nice car.
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    I am leaning towards purchasing a elantra, can anybody give me a reason not to buy one? Has anyone had any problems with this car yet? It sounds to good to be true.
  • bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    Here is the mpeg file about first generation Elantra. When Hyundai start to export to this car to German, Hyundai made this CM.

This CM was very famous by its scene. Elantra compete with Porsche on Autobahn in German.

You can check mpt file here. Just click!!!

Also, compare it with 2k1 Elantra!!

http://myhome.naver.com/mildbreeze/menu2.html

No, the Elantra is not too good to be true, but it is a very good compact car and an excellent value. Reasons not to buy one:

1. Long term reliability not proven like some other compacts esp. Civic, Protege, Sentra, Corolla.
    2. Historically poor resale value (important if you trade cars every 2-3 years).
    3. Not a status symbol (if that's important to you).
    4. Not the most refined compact on the market compared others like to Jetta and Civic (but way cheaper).
    5. Not the most economical compact with gas (but not bad compared to cars with similar power).

Those are the main general issues I see. Of course, you need to drive the car and compare it to others to see if it's a car you will enjoy driving day after day for several years.
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    As jkempskie has stated the trunk is pretty much normal for a car of this size.
    I have been able to squeeze 3 golf bags with 2 pull carts in there without putting the seats down.
    If I had the choice I would wait for the GT and get the extra functionality.
    I saw a TV commercial for the GT last night for the first time.
    I don't think the vehicle is overly great looking, I like the looks of the new Protege 5 door better.
    But you still can't beat the price.
  • canpamcanpam Member Posts: 24
    I was visiting a message board set up for Honda owners with high mileage automobiles and wondered if the 2001 Elantra will have some of the same stories 10 years from now. I may be optimistic but I am looking for 200k plus miles on my 01 Elantra. Are you?
  • peppypeppy Member Posts: 1
    Hyundai Elantra Gets Top Marks in Side Impact Tests

Hyundai Motor said Monday that its Elantra compact came out on top in side-barrier impacts tests conducted by Cargo Engineering. The U.S. government had contracted Cargo to conduct the tests, in which seven models made by six different auto makers were tested. The Elantra scored 5 stars, the best possible score, for the driver seat and four stars for passenger seats. Five stars represents damage of less than 5% heavy damage to persons in the car. Hyundai's score surpassed the popular Volkswagen Beetle and Honda Civic.

http://www.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200101/200101290159.html

*article from a Korean newspaper*

I've just checked out www.nhtsa.gov for any updates, but no result shown yet. Anyway it's a happy news indeed- Hyundai finally has done it!

Warranty Gold has a three day promotion that takes $300.00 of the price of their bumper-bumper extended warr. If your vehicle is within it's factory warranty this is a chance to extend your warr to 100,000 for less than $500

Just thought I would let you warranty people know.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    how come nobody's posting the price they paid? any good deals out there?
  • dimka448dimka448 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new here, But I thing I belong to this board because I'm in process to buy New Elantra.

I found an excellent site that helps you to avoid every scam that dealer could do for you plus it

prepares you for the trip to the dealership. There is a chapter there for those who wants to buy an extensive warranty from dealer and tells you why it's not a good idea. I apologize for those who already know about this site, but I think it might be helpful for others.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    If you want a bargain basement car, buy the Elantra. If you want a slight step up in image, buy the Civic, Toyota, Protege or Sentra. The Elantra appears to be making some progress, but it still has a poor image problem among the masses.
  • allhyundaiallhyundai Member Posts: 11
    But then if you want great value for little money then the Hyundai is for you. If you want to stand out in the cookie cutter world of Honda's then the Hyundai is for you. Maybe I'm the only one but the number one response I get when I show my friends my newly purchased 2000 Elantra Wagon is always, "Is that a Hyundai?". Every Hyundai dealership that I visited before buying my Elantra and Santa Fe was a multi-brand dealer that has been in business for at least 25 years. One is the only BMW dealer in the area. I would find it hard to believe these reputable dealers would put there good name in jeopardy by selling and servicing a "bargain basement" car.
  • cliffordscliffords Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone seen a 2001 Elantra with the package that includes ABS brakes? I have both looked and asked around the Columbus, OH market and gotten blank stares from the dealers. Anyone seen one? If so, where? Anyone purchase one? Anyone know if the hatchback model ( 5 door) that Edmunds mentions coming out late this year will have them?
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    Hyundai Elantra does best in bumper crash tests

January 30, 2001

Web posted at: 11:56 AM EST (1656 GMT)

By Julie Vallese

CNN Producer

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In 5-mph crash tests, the Hyundai Elantra performed best -- sustaining very little damage -- while the Dodge Grand Caravan and the 2001 Mercedes C 320 required the most expensive repairs, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported Tuesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/01/30/bumper.tests/index.html

• kodamarkodamar Member Posts: 6
    Back in May, I drove my in-laws '00 Elantra to Florida from upstate New York. (21 hours - straight trip!) I didn't mind the handling and performance of the car, but one thing was annoying. The windshield seemed to have a thin horizontal area of "distortion" that would strain my eyes as my left and right eyes tried to focus through glass that varied in thickness or quality. If I squatted in the seat or lifted my head up slightly, the problem would disappear. Unfortunately, my height caused me to be perfectly in line with the "bad spot". My wife is shorter, and did not experience the problem. Is this is a quality issue with this particular car, or is this common with Elantras?
    I'm still enjoying my new '01 Elantra, but I've noticed a periodic quirk which may be a problem.

Occasionally, after a moderate drive, when placing my auto trans in Park, the engine starts reving at about 1,700 rpm. If I try to "kick" it down, it sometimes jumps to 2,000 rpm and a second kick will finally drop it to 750 rpm, which is normal at idle. This is not dependant on outside temp.

I currently have 1,400 miles on the car, and I'm planning to take it in next Monday to have this checked. However, I first thought I'd ask the folks here if anyone has experienced such and, if you had it repaired, what was the cause of this (if you know).

Thanks for any info!
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    that is the weirdest problem I have ever heard. I've heard problems such from cars ranging from a 98 honda accord with its transmission dying under 30,000 to the new Ford escape with the rear wheels falling off (recall: on 2wd models, 4X4 hubs put on in the back instead of 4X2 hubs resulting in the lugnuts to come loose and rear wheels fall off...thats retarded, what a piece of crap. lol)

anyway...that is very strange. glass could be dirty in one area making it hard to see out of. the second thing it could be is the glass wasn't created evenly making thicker sections, which could be hard to see out of making your visibility distorted. Or it could be a figment of your imagination! if your wife didnt see it :)
  • darpin1darpin1 Member Posts: 49
    I noticed from time to time (not really significant) that mine revs to about the same revs you mentioned...since the first recent oil change...I put Mobil synthetic 5w30...don't know if that made it more slippery...I have the 5 spd manual I noticed every once and a while when coming up our driveway in 2nd gear(a bit of an incline) that I've lugged the engine (low rpms) a bit that when I engage the clutch (neutral) it revs for a few seconds and drops down on its own...normal to me other cars I've had (even automatics) have done this...may not be a problem but as you said worth looking into.
  • joehyundai1joehyundai1 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone come a cross a promblem rattle noise either in the front passanger door or just above the glove compartment?

The noise is in one of those areas but I have not located it yet.
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    It is a long shot, BUT I had the pulley fall off of the power steerring pump on my 01 Elantra with 1800 miles on it.

It sounded like the passenger door was not closed properly, OR the passenger window was not closed all the way and banging in the the door.... MONENTS later KABAMM ! Luckily nothing under the hood was damaged.

Good luck to you and be sure to let us know. I know of one other person that had a loose pulley too.

Cya

Tony
  • mrpnbofnjusamrpnbofnjusa Member Posts: 4
    I heard something here too, not a tap-tap rattle, but sort of a hum-rattle. I heard it yesterday but not today.

First tank of gas for automatic transmission, 60% city and 40% freeway driving (some of that is stop and go) in Los Angeles: 25-26 mpg.
    The 5 spd manual will hold it's RPMs for a second after pushing in the clutch. Hyundai supposedly designed it that way for smoother shifting. I don't like it. I've driven a stick for 18 years and I don't need a damn computer to help me now. Anyway, once you get used to it, it isn't a problem. The 5spd also has an unusually long throw. These are really just minor gripes for me. Any car that I buy I find something that I don't like about it. I am very happy with the car besides that. I don't have any rattles. Thought I did once but it was just my sunglasses in the overhead case.

Pewterman: I know that Hyundai uses some sort of learning computer that calculates how you drive and then adjust the shifting accordingly. I hate things like this but it can be reset very easily by the dealer. I think that might solve your problem. I work on computers for a living and I hate when companies use them for no good purpose. I wish more engineers would follow the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle when designing things.
    Check this out...Because I've had a BRA on my 2001 Elantra I noticed a rattle develop that sounded like it was coming from the inside. Turns out it was inside the front wheel well mostly on the passenger side...Since I have to take it off frequently to clean ( alot of pulling envoved) I happen to hit the bumper with my hand...(just whack the bumper a bit with your hand) Discovered the source...a plastic type screwmount to the inner fender was loose allowing the inner fender (attached to the front bumper) to move...I couldn't tighten it so I put a small piece of black plastic between the screw and fender....Did the trick...I'm not sure this what maybe happening with you but I thought it might give you some ideas...some noises travel from where we think they are coming...Hope it helps.
  • kipley80kipley80 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new buyer and looking for something fairly inexpensive and reliable. I've been looking at used Hondas/VWs but I'm wondering if it's worth a little more money to by a new(er) Elantra. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me? I'm sure I could reread two forums worth of posts on Elantras, but I figured just asking might be easier :o)

Thanks,
    Candice
  • powerworkrpowerworkr Member Posts: 5
    I have 6600 on my 00 and have noticed a chirping noise coming from somewhere near the speedometer area when I brake and reduce my speed to about 15 to 20 mph. It lasts until I stop, then disappears. When I accelerate it starts up again until I reach 25 mph, then it disappears again until I brake and reach 15 to 20 mph. Sometimes it does sound like a canary singing and other times like I'm dragging a brown paper bag from my left front wheelwell. Any help would be appreciated.
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    Does anybody know if the car was crash tested for the rear passengers? If so, how did it do?
  • bobcook54bobcook54 Member Posts: 79
    I am a manager at a Hyundai dealership in Ohio and yes,there are 2001 Elantras out there with anti-lock brakes.However,because of the cost,most dealers don't stock them and quite frankly,at least at our store,we get don't get any request for them. It comes in package 5. If your dealer truly wants to sell you a vehicle, he will locate one for you. If not,then find a dealer who will!!! Bob
  • guym1guym1 Member Posts: 9
    I had the same problem as you have with my Hyundai Accent (1997) I showed the service manager the distortion. It was a little line going from side to side in the windshield. They changed the windshield on warranty.
  • jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    So what do you owners of the '01 Elantra think of the stereo system and speakers?
  • ohiogoodguysohiogoodguys Member Posts: 19
    Bob,

I am in Ohio and wondered what dealership that you work for. I have a 2000 Honda CRV that I love on a lease for 8 months and already have 20K on it and only leased it for 12K a year. Heres where you can help bob. I am looking at getting a used elantra or a sonata or accent and also considered a new accent as a second car. Considering the hyundai because of there bad resale I can get one that is only a few years old in my price range. I know your a sales man and do you feel that the second car Idea is the best. Let me know what you think. E-mail me a phone # so that I can call you and we can work out a deal.

Thanks

Jack
    I have a 2000 elantra, but im sure the stereos are pretty much the same. For the most part, its pretty good. I have the premium stereo with separate tweeters and midbass speakers. Sharp crisp sound. Clear. excellent CD player. Just one problem: needed more bass. Since the stereo sounded great as is, I just wired a 10" subwoofer right up to the stock system with an amp and that solves that problem!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Your singing canary culprit sounds like it is the speedometer cable or the speedometer itself. I know someone with an Isuzu Impulse that has an annoyingly loud "paper bag dragging" sound that occurs only above a certain speed and it was determined to be the speedometer cable. yours may need to be lubricated or replaced. Hope that helps.
  • jsapiejsapie Member Posts: 28
    I am looking for a price on a HPP 10 year plan.
    The best price I received from my dealer was $759.00

Since you work at a Hyundai dealership, can you find out and post the price so others here can purchase this at your dealership?
  • bobcook54bobcook54 Member Posts: 79
    jsapie- I promised carlady that I would not solicit business on this message board-it's against their rules.However,I will tell you that $759.00 is a pretty good price on the HPP extended service program,depending on the model. Retail prices range from $818.00 to $1858 and varies from model to model,what exact plan that you are looking at, and whether is a brand new or used(factory program,off rental,etc.). Give me more details on your car and I'll try to help further. Bob
    I'm an audio nut. The base model stereo stinks. One thing you have to realize about audio is that it is very subjective. What stinks to me sound perfectly ok to someone else. One good thing is that Hyundai has a trade up program for the head units. I'm upgrading to the CD/Tape Player because it has pre-outs for running an external amp. On top of that I'm upgrading the stock speakers and building a sub for the rear deck. All of this cost money (significantly more if you are not capable of doing it yourself) but like I said, I'm an audio nut.
    you can do an audio swap? I didnt know hyundai did that. How much is it to upgrade to the CD/Tape head unit? I may just do that cause I have a double DIN opening. Thanks.
    I have a '01 base stereo and I'd call it "OK" (remember we're talking a $12K car here). I like the tape deck--sounds better than any other unit I've owned except the 10-speaker 200-watt Infinity system in my Caravan. The '01 has Dolby, and I'm not sure the '00 had that. Power is good, with no distortion (but I don't play it at max volume). Reception is fine, as good as any other car stereo I've had. Tone quality is fair, but is neither as crisp or as rich as top-end units. Might want to check out the upgrade unit if you're into good sound.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/01elantra.htm

A rather understated but good review...We Canadians don't get very exited about cars.

The radio we have standard here is a Clarion and not a Hyundai.

Hope you guys like it.

• tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    Do any of you notice that when starting off from a complete stop that there is a slight lull or a seeming hesitation as it shifts from first to second? I only notice this when starting off slow. I really cant even tell it is shifting from first to second it is that smooth of a lull, it is weird. It has been doing this since day one.

IF I shift into first and accelerate, no problem...

This is not a problem I dont think as much as an observation or characteristic I guess.

Curious if anyone else notices this.

Thanks

Tony