Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• I recently heard that the Koreans strike every year at this time. I dont know if its true or not, I will have to do some research to find out, but supposedly they do it every year for about 3-4 days, kind of like a minny vacation.
  • Have any of you had any problems with your struts on the '02 Elantra? I'm currently comparison shopping and I've narrowed my choices down to either the Elantra or the Nissan Sentra. Leaning towards the Elantra but then I read that some people were having problems with the struts (which in turn caused the tears to wear) and that some dealers were hesitant to fix the problem and pay for replacement tires. Any info you have is appreciated. Thanks!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    You may also ask, have any '01 Elantra owners had a problem (not many '02s out there yet with many miles, and the '01s and '02s likely have the same struts). I've been following this board for 18 months and don't recall any discussion of strut problems. Would you mind sharing with us where you heard of the strut problem? There are no recalls or TSBs in this area yet.
  • Sorry, I actually meant '01. Guess I typed '02 because that's the model I'm interested in. Anyway, I read the comment about the struts here on edmunds in one of the consumer comments, not the message board. But since there are no recalls or TSBs for them, I'll take it as an isolated incident. Thanks for the info.
  • buoyantbuoyant Posts: 128
    I just got back from the Hyundai dealer today after closing the deal on a '02 Elantra 5spd with package 4 (in the champagne color I can't say "no" to). I think I got a pretty good deal since I annoyed the hell out of both the finance guy and the salesperson.

It came out to $200 over invoice, less the rebate of $500 ($300 under "invoice", but what the dealer really made on the sale I'll never know). Said no to extended warranties (ten years isn't good enough?) and add-ons.

I worked my way through several car dealerships falling in love - for a period - with the Jetta wagon (turbocharged 1.8, of course), but finally came back to the Elantra. While it doesn't compare well to a $23,000 Jetta, it does compare VERY WELL to every car I looked at under $16K. It is just an amazing car for $13,000.

Drove it back to back against a Mazda Pro 5 and actually came out preferring the Elantra (interior was much nicer on the Pro, but that baby was as loud as a Kenworth and the stereo just plain stunk). $3,800 more for a Pro? Not for me.

I can't wait until I pick my new Elantra up tomorrow. I'm very excited to be a Hyundai owner (man, I can't believe I just said that...this could take some getting used to).

Rock on fellow Elantra owners!

And thank you for all the advice I've received from owners on this site.
  • Hi,

Has anyone here gone from either a 01, 02 GLS to a GT. I am thinking about maybe trading my 01 GLS for a 02 GT. I was wondering for those who did this what they think. Was it worth it. Are they quite a bit different as far as cornering and hard driving. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn
  • Hey Shawn. Actually we bought an 01 GLS about ten months ago then bought a 2001.5 GT about five months ago. We still have both cars. I like both cars a lot, but I think the GT gives you more style and convenience with the hatch, alloys, 4 wheel discs, etc. However in your case, you will probably be taking a serious hit on the trade-in because of new car depreciation. You will have to look at how much it is really going to cost you. As far as the way the cars handle, to me they are very similar, except my GT does have the same suspension as the GLS (comfort suspension) and the GLS is an automatic while the GT I have is a stick shift. Unfortunately my wife kept mentioning how she thought my GT was so much nicer than her GLS, so I finally gave in and traded her cars. I would trade in the GLS for another GT, but I don't want it to cost me 3 or 4 grand more! Good luck with your decision...
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I will tell you from experience, you do NOT wanna trade in a car that's about a year old. I traded my 2001 Protege with 20K (8 months old) and took a big hit in depreciation. It's not worth it to do that. Just hold on to the car for another year or so, and the loan/trade-in value should even out. But keep in mind, Hyundais don't hold their value well (I don't know why, but they don't- no Korean car does actually), so you might still not be "even" after year 2 or 3 of your loan.
    Anyone have an older (1994) Elantra? I was thinking of buying one with 68K on it as a commuter car, and it's only like $1000. The title is clean too (I Carfaxed it). What do you all think?
  • I don't recommend it unless it's guranteed that the timing belt and ATF has been changed according to the service schedule. In other words, don't buy it if you don't know the service history.
    Just picked up my new Elantra from Metro Hyundai in Bloomington, MN this morning and I LOVE IT.

I love the looks outside, but the interior fabric may take a little getting used to. But, oh...is it quiet. Even quieter on the highway than the 2002 Honda Accord EX 5spd I drove last week.

It's simply an amazing car for the price. And I'd recommend the factory sunroof (option package 4, I believe) to anyone - a very slick, well-finished and noise-free device.

Vocus: Personally, I wouldn't buy a '94 Hyundai, but then again, there are much worse ways to spend $1000. My home stereo equipment cost me more than that. Even if that car exploded tomorrow, you'd only be out $1000. So long as you aren't expecting that car to be the zenith of reliability, it's probably not a bad move.

I used to have class with a guy who'd always tell me how he'd buy older cars from private parties and sell them a couple years later for the same price. Whenever he had a problem, he'd have the service work done at a community college by auto mechanic trainees. This guy was cheap, but I always thought his "system" made a lot of sense - especially if you're looking for a second car/cheap transportation.
  • Hi Therhino,

Thanks for your opinion on going from the GLS to GT. I guess you have the best of both worlds. You have both cars! Anyway, I know I will take a hit in trading in my car if I should get a GT. Trade in value for Hyundais are really bad.

Hi Vocus,

I had a 95 Elantra before my 01 GLS and it was a great car. I bought it used with 8K miles and had 75K miles when I got my 01 GLS. The dealer only wanted to give me $1200.00 for trade in so I sold it to my sister who loves the car. Anyway, I only ha 2 problems with my 95 Elantra. Ocygen sensor went out and one of the plastic vents broke. All covered under warranty. Only other things was routine maintenance.

Shawn
    I would be using the car to drive about 500 or so miles a week, commuting on (mostly) highway. I thought it was a good deal for only like $1100 or so, especially considering it's only got 68,000 miles on it.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I normally get the timing belt changed anyway, just as a precaution. Would also change transmission fluid. I don't think $1100 is much of a risk, one of the benefits of steep depreciation. You should always pay a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection, or take to a AAA testing center.
    I have to have the car inspected here in Md. anyway, but can't do it before I get the car. I am getting it off EBay. The bid went up to $1325 though, and the car is only KBBed at $1400. Much higher, and I will not be biting.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I've always found KBB to be unrealistically high, compared to Edmunds and NADA. I think they're primarily for slapping an unrealistically high valuation sticker on a car you offer yourself (or donate). I always use Edmunds when I'm buying.

I did put the 94 Elantra into AutoTrader. Nationally there are 79 cars for sale ranging from $1025 to $6995. The average offering price is $3088. What kind of a dealer would even have the gall to ask $6995 for an 8 year old Elantra with 56K? It's Prospect Mitsubishi Hyundai Izuzu Kia of Champaign Illinois. I'm going to run right out and test drive it....
    That is too funny about the 1994 you found. :) This one is creeping too high for me. I think $1300 is too high, especially since the car isn't inspected. Forget that.

I ran my old car (a 2001 Protege ES w/20K on it) through KBB.com. They told me the car was worth $10,715 back in November, and it had a cracked windshield and a couple of scratches on it (one really bad one on the front). I traded it in on a 2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T, and the dealer gave me $11,500 for the car. I was shocked! :) Also traded a 1999 Protege DX on the 2001 when I got it. KBB said $7500 for it with 38K, and that's what I got for it. So KBB is okay sometimes.
    Vocus, what did you pay for the Jetta turbo?

When I was looking at a GLS 1.8T wagon with lux package, I noticed window sticker was a $2,000+ mark-up over invoice (NOT including any holdbacks).

A dealer will have a LOT more wiggle room on the trade-in value if the customer is paying window for the car, particularly a car with a lot of dealer margin like the turbo VW.

That said, the 1.8T is still a bargain IMO (so long as you can afford the higher ins, repair costs and premo fill-ups - VW costs of ownership are no bargain). It drives like an mini-Audi (which is understandable since the powertrain has been pilfered from the Audi line-up). On the minus side, 90mph was FAR too smooth in that car and came much too quickly (can we say ticket time?).

You must possess a lot of self restraint in a car like that to avoid getting raped by the State Farm agent. Good luck.
  • I thought I'd toss in my own experience on this subject. First,
    I do not agree with some reviews that indicated the engine was "a bit busy"
    at 70 mph? Whaaaaa? No, not even close. My "02 Elantra cruises smoothly and quietly at 3100 rpms doing 70 mph. At 80 mph still pretty quiet at around 3400 rpms. I have slide up to 90 mph while day-dreaming
    on the interstate and was unaware because there was no obvious indication... reving sounds to clue me in. All this was in 5th gear with
    a manual, so I can't speak for anyone's experiences with the auto.
    This car is very quiet at high speeds for it's class, not luxury car quiet,
    but remarkable for a 4-banger in this price range. I'm constantly surprised by the solid quality of this car,and
    don't regret my decision to buy for a minute.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I've driven both the 5-speed and the automatic (I own a 5-speed, and have rented automatics), and the automatic is even quieter, at least up to 80 (no experience beyond that). Engine noise while cruising is definitely not an issue with the '01-'02 Elantras.