Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• My friend Bradley's '01 GT is what first got me thinking about buying an
    Elantra this year. I live in central Ca, Fresno, and we get scorching temperatures 5 months of the year...so, I don't do dark leather. I stick to it readily and have been burned while wearing shorts or tank-tops. Still, I like leather when the weather is mild. I liked other things about the GT as well. I don't find the driving experience that different, and neither do most people I talk to between the GLS and GT. The GT feels a tad sportier,especially in the corners. The GLS feels a tad smoother generally. All this is related to the difference in the suspension. I simply leather-wrapped the wheel in my GLS myself, added removeable leather seat pads, security system, fog lights and JVC
    CD player. Other than the leather-wrapping, I had everything installed professionally and the total came to $600. I saved money
    by buying the GLS and just adding to it. Some people really want the hatchback though, for the convenience, and you can't argue with that. I like the look of both models,
    prefering the GLS slightly, but not by much.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    My insurance is like $236 a month with State Farm actually. I live in Baltimore, Md., am 23, and have a point for speeding. No tickets yet with the Jetta turbo though, but I have had it up to 115 mph and it felt like 70-80. :) I was on a deserted road and "pushed" the car to see what it could do, so no one else was in danger but me. Anyway, I paid $700 under MSRP for my Jetta turbo back in November. It's a 2002 Tiptronic with Sport Luxury Pkg., Monsoon, and leather seats. They tried MSRP with me, but it wasn't happening. I paid $250 under INVOICE for my last car (2001 Protege ES auto. w/Premium Pkg. in 2/01) so I know how to deal. :)

I do have to have restraint in the car when on the highway. I have glanced down a couple times, and realized I was going 85-95 mph and it felt like 50. :) The turbo is a good engine, I only pay $1.15 a gallon for premium gas in Baltimore, and it's definitely a nice ride.

Now if I could just get the service dept. to find the two rattles I have, the car would be perfect. :)
  • buoyantbuoyant Posts: 128
    I went with the Elantra because of its quietness.

Was VERY tempted by the Pro 5 (looks, interior, handling, 3.9% financing and college grad rebate), but it was just too dang noisy. Cruising across Montana on the Interstate at 85 in one of those babies would truly be a masochistic event. Combine all that noise with a real downer of a stereo, and the Elantra was an easy choice.

While the 6 speaker system in my Elantra isn't an audiophile's delight, the rear speakers are properly placed for decent imaging in the rear deck (NOT the rear doors like the Pro 5 and nearly every other new small car I drove). I never have to crank it up full blast to drown out road noise.

Of special mention: the 5spd manual Elantra is one of the most pleasurable sticks I've ever driven (the throws are a bit long, but it's a cinch to drive smoothly - the clutch and linkage are perfect). Hyundai deserves real praise for producing such a nice transaxle.
  • Where did you buy fog lights for your Elantra?
    And How much did you pay for them?
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Absolutely no complaints. Two oil changes at Wal-Mart x $11.99, plus the lifetime rotation/balance for $7.99 a tire. That's been it. Mileage has increased to about 26-27 combined. Average above 30 on the highway.

Love this car, best I've ever owned (so far).
  • Thanks for the updates. Keep them coming--all current generation Elantra owners! As I've said on various boards a few times before, I'll be trading my 1995 Sephia next year. I think I'm going to delay my trade from the spring to the fall for a couple of reasons. One big reason is to check out long term reliability of cars like the Elantra. My Sephia runs fine, so a few more months won't hurt anything. The Elantra seems to have more than what I need at the best price--but it doesn't have the long term reliability yet. The posts from people who have 1000 miles with no problems are fine--but the 10,000-plus mile reviews are where the weight is. Thanks again!
  • hjr2hjr2 Posts: 105
    we drove one for 9 days when our sonata was in garage for wreck this past march. We drove approx 1000 miles, and it had 15,000+ miles on the vehicle, an '01. N ice car, just made a noise when cold,at first.

We'll most likely get the next Gen Elantra after we make say another 30 payments on SOnata(or until they pay it off whenwe do a trade in). This is unless Hyudnai brings ou another vehicle for $13-15grand, that rocks.
    PS< the Matrix(Hyudaniee.net?) is cool, but the LOOKS need sprucing up..it is on elantra frame and engine...like a mini-minivan.
  • th003gth003g Posts: 149
    I may be a little slanted in opinion because i'm only 22. But I actually like the way there is a different exaust note above 4500 rpms when I punch the gas. Its a little bit of a racy ricer sound but not too much. I was going to replace my exaust but want to keep it because of the special flap inside (which supplies the difference in exaust note) now I just have to find a set of tips that fit under my damn bumper
  • I recently bought a 1997 Elantra with 89,000 km (54,000 miles). I didn't get the car's history, so I don't know what service it's had. I had the oil changed, the transmission fluid changed and the spark plugs changed. When the car is cold it shifts funny-2nd to 3rd mainly. I try to warm it up when I have time(when it's warm it shifts fine). It's been cold here lately-(-20 C or about -10 F). I sometimes start the car with the gear shift in second and then pop it into third-this keeps it from reving or whatever when it shifts into third. Is this a good idea? Is the problem serious? My gut feeling tells me that the transmission is not toast - just funny shifting.
  • I was initially interested in acquiring the "korean" fog lights...
    factory type, from Sharkracing.com for $85.00, but they wouldn't take my Discover card...all my other cards were nearly maxed out from X-MAS!
    So, got some fog lights made by Sirius, which cost me $41.00. They are amber and seem to do the job.
    I had them installed locally for a
    bargain price of $45.00, which brought the whole project up to the price of the "factory" lights. I found a few places on the web for Sirius lights, searching on Yahoo
    under "Sirius fog lights" I believe,
    or something similar. Otherwise, just go to Sharkracing.com and get the factory look the GT' have...about
    $185.00 installed here in Central Ca.
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    Pewter2002,

Where was the on-off switch installed?
  • Hi all well it is time to replace the accent with 158k miles on it . Here is where i am stuck . i found a dealer that will do a elantra for 200 over invoice . Should i go with the gt or gls ? I can get a 5sp with abs and traction , or just as is , witch i would rather have cause i am really not into sunroofs worried about them leaking , or just go with the best buy for the dollar the gls ? what do you people think ? i have driven both and like the ride of the gt better but can only get the abs in pewter and the reg gt in black . I live in cali where it gets 110 in summer so black isn't really what i might want . Now the price difference is about 2k from gls to gt with all the werks ... Not really into leather but the ride in the gt i liked more . So can someone shout out and add there .02$
    thanks ,
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    When I bought my GLS last summer the dealer in St. Louis was advertising base cars for 10894, I think the price was just raised $100 with the '02's. I believe invoice is just under $11000. Upcharges to higher packages were at Edmund's actual dealer costs. California sales prices were MUCH cheaper at that time. I guess the market has gotten a bit tighter for these cars. I've never paid $200 over invoice for any car--what kind of prices are you getting from other dealers or over the web?

I was waiting for good availability of the GT but my other car crapped out and I was forced to buy a GLS. Really like the car a lot, don't miss the leather seats, but would have liked the hatch.

Handling on the GLS was probably a step down from my other finalist, a Focus, but the car seems more comfortable than a Focus. I would try both suspensions, you have to live with the car.

IMHO the GLS has a prettier rear end, GT is too busy in the tail light department. The GT has a better profile however, Saabish while the GLS is a bit Malibuish. If hatches and sedans were both available in GLS and GT forms, I'd probably select a GLS hatch-- if they were the same price.

The GT has been in more demand (or lower supply) so $200 over invoice might not be too bad. The prices I quoted included the $500 rebate, but no taxes or license fees. Some people report taxes as part of price. This just obscures things since they vary greatly by state.
  • Thinking of buying an 02 GLS. Would get a GT, but think it's ugly. Really enjoyed test driving the peppy GLS, and I'm wondering if it could be any more enjoyable...has anybody upgraded wheels and/or tires, or suspension, and - what difference did it make? If the GLS loses some body roll and gets a little grippier, then - who needs a WRX? :) Thanks for any info.
  • browneybrowney Posts: 104
    Don't forget to check out the Edmunds TMV price and the Carsdirect.com price for your zip code.
    You should still be able to get an Elantra in CA for several hundred below invoice.
  • Sorry, been trying to answer some questions directed at me...but I can't seem to post.
  • Love to answer your questions. Cant.
    Micheal the light is two inches to the left of the steering column.
  • buoyantbuoyant Posts: 128
    Your insurance is $236/mo.?!?!?!?!?!?! If my mind math works out ok, that's almost $3K a year!

That is simply outrageous. Even if you're fully covered and have $0 deductibles across the board, that is a frightening figure for one vehicle.

Barring any DUI's or reckless driving convictions, you should really shop for a new policy. You are getting screwed, man.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I live in Baltimore, Md., have a 2002 Jetta turbo, am 23 years old, commute 30 miles one way to work, and have one point for speeding. My limits are 50/100/50 with 250/500 comp/coll deductibles. I have shopped around, and this is definitely the cheapest insurance I can find. (I tried Progressive, and they said $3500 every 6 MONTHS!) This also includes a multi-line discount from State Farm because I have my house insurance with them. That and safety discounts save me $200 every 6 months.
  • I had Progressive but changed when i got my new GT . Progressive wanted almost 5k a year for my GT accent and a old pickup for me and my 16 year old son ,That right i said 5k a year . I added my GT to get it off the lot and got a new insurance company the next day that insured all 3 cars for 2100 a year .