Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• jimbeaumijimbeaumi Posts: 620
    Thanks for the info. I think it is gwebworks.com. I'll go look again for 2004 info.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    That is NOT the website I was referring to , but gwebworks.com is a very good/informative website. It IS called "The Hyundai Elantra GT Club". I hope this doesn't get deleted :)
    you are right, that wasn't it ... but I didn't find '04 pics on the other sites
  • bria5bria5 Posts: 5
    I purchased my new Elantra GLS on the first of this month. I now have about 1280k miles on it. I was wondering if it was normal to experience moderate acceleration noise when driving after having come to a complete stop. I don't remember hearing this during the test drive or during the first week or so. I am concerned that the noise could be due to putting on as many miles as I have on it in a short period of time. I know some sound is expected with a 4 cylinder, but I wonder it it's too much noise for a brand new car. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,235
    I know that my son's Elantra GLS tends to slowly "rev down" on stops. I think that's more a function of the engine management computer than anything else. Nothing to be worried about, though.

My son reports high 20s MPG in town and low 30s highway driving. His is a 5-speed and since he's a "cash poor" student, he drives it to get good gas mileage than performance.

All-in-all, it's been a great car, so far. He's got about 5K miles on it.
  • vadpvadp Posts: 1,025
    My best comparison would be my Ford ZX-2 which weighed less than my GT but had similar performance; ZX-2 18-28mpg.
    I think your ZX-2 was geared much higher than the Elantra or maybe your engine wasn't running properly.
    The mileage you reported on your long trip seems to be low for a compact car.
    What are the EPA ratings for the Elantra?
    The Focus with similar to ZX2 2.0L Zetec gets at least 33-35 mpg on highway.
    And the old Zetec is not consiedered to be a frugal engine.
  • wdoranwdoran Posts: 31
    Just purchased a GLS, couldn't be more pleased. For last 25 years only purchased Nissan's and Honda's. Last year a 2002 Maxima SE for my wife. This car is fantastic for the price. So quiet and smooth I can't keep it below the recommended 50 MPH for break-in period. Fit, finish and overall quality is in $20,000 plus car category.
  • mauvasmauvas Posts: 18
    From the Autopacific web site, just release on May 2nd.....

"Results of a study released today at AutoPacific's Industry Update Conference reveal high owner satisfaction with new 2003 model year cars and light trucks. AutoPacific's VSS (Vehicle Satisfaction Score) study is an industry benchmark for objective measure of new vehicle owner satisfaction.

In addition to identifying segment winners, VSS also establishes numerical ratings for virtually every passenger car and light truck in the North American market. VSS also calculates satisfaction in 41 specific areas related to each vehicle's operation, comfort, safety and purchase/lease experience. Ratings reflect input from over 36,000 buyers and lessees of new vehicles acquired September-December 2002.

TOP PERFORMER IN THE COMPACT SEGMENT....just guess....
    Hyundai Elantra !!!!! (tied with
    Volkswagen New Beetle -a repeat winner-)

Olso in the LIGHT TRUCKS segment the KIA Sorento is a top performer in the category of Standard Mid-Size Sport Utility Vehicles.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    My friend bought an 03 Elantra GT sedan this weekend. He was very impressed with the car's features and performance. He got a 5 speed with sunroof for 15k even (before tax, tag, and gap insurance). Not a good deal, but 600 below sticker and not bad when you look at the features list. I also got $100 from the dealer for referring him since I just bought an 03 Tiburon GT from them 2 weeks ago. He let me drive it and I must say, the engine is very smooth, quiet and willing to rev, everything my 03 Suzuki Aerio was not (part of the reason I ran back to Hyundai). How effortlessly and quickly this car gains speed is impressive. The shifter and clutch were the best I have ever encountered from Hyundai, and even surpassed my mom's 92 Accord in smoothness and feel. Interior room and comfort is good and so is the ride and handling. The lit keyhole and power window switches is a very nice touch.

I did notice a few downsides: The purple gauges do look cool but are sort of hard to read at night and strained my eyes some, plus they clash too much with the green console lights. The steering wheel rim is way too thin. The Accent and Tiburon have much thicker wheels that feel better in your hand. The leather was so-so in quality and appearance, but acceptable given the price. The back seat lacks a center armrest. I also noticed an air leak coming from the driver's door that sounded like the window was cracked open. I bet this car was affected by the TSB mentioned earlier and I notified my friend in case it annoys him (he didn't seem to notice it but he blares his music).

Overall though, the Elantra is still an excellent buy in the 3rd year of its current design. The fact that my friend bought the car truly shows Hyundai is improving its image. He is a big time status person and this is the cheapest new car he has ever bought and yet he seems to be extremely happy with it. He wanted a used Rodeo so bad (he used to own a $26k 01 Rodeo that he loved dearly, but let it go during his bankruptcy even though he could afford to keep it), but I talked him into looking at new Hyundais instead. I never thought he would actually buy one!
    Well, boys and girls, today I hit the big 30K mile mark! And it was just in time for my 30K mile maintenance this afternoon. My dealer performed this service for under $200, including coolant flush, tire rotation, air filter, PCV, etc. The only concerns I had were a slight groaning noise when depressing the clutch pedal (release pivot bushings are on order, under warranty) and a squeak when releasing the brake.

When the car was ready, I was told that a wheel bearing had been ordered and that the "bad" one was causing noise. I never noticed bearing noise until my car was returned to me. Not loud but still noticeable, and very strange timing.

All in all, a good performance. Brakes are still OK, shifting and acceleration are fine, tires are still in good shape, the car rides well and quietly and it looks great.

On to my next 30,000. Cheers!

P.S. When wandering around the showroom, I noticed that recent Elantras are now being shipped with a black, twisty antenna, one that will likely survive the car wash. A smart upgrade.
  • ramblin_moramblin_mo Posts: 29
    How would you compare the ride between the Aerio and the Elantra. Did it ride better?

I've followed your ordeal with the Aerio. I have an 03 FWD Auto Aerio and am most unhappy with the ride/comfort on the highway. It has performed flawlessly otherwise.
    I've thought about the Elantra or maybe a Sonota. I'm sure that I would take it in the shorts in the trade.
    I'm sure the Sonota would ride better, not sure about the Elantra.
    I would say the Elantra GT is a more comfortable riding car than the Aerio. It seemed to feel very stable with just the right compromise between compliance and tight handling. The regular Elantra has an even softer more comfortable ride so you might want to look into those if you prefer comfort over handling. The Sonata has a very plush ride, but feels a bit too disconnected handling wise for my tastes. I felt the Aerio had a good ride for such a small wheelbase, but small impacts (like expansion strips and small potholes) were transmitted with way too much harshness and it felt a little skittish when hitting those bumps at high speeds. From what I could tell, the Elantra seems to handle those sort of bumps much better.
  • ACCENTACCENT Posts: 10
    Just looking at the hyundai-motor.com web site and saw, that they are showing the updated verison of the Avante (Elantra in the U.S.). The car also has the 2.0L VVT engine. Don't know the horsepower ratings, since it is in korean.

http://www.hyundai-motor.com/cybermall/showroom/index_3.html
    Oh dear. Looks like I will indeed keep my '01 for a long long time. Is that grille someone's idea of a bad joke?
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    I happen to like the new grille, because I think that it adds a little bit of class to the front end. I do think that the GT grill should be blackened though. I think the improvements to the interior are very nice, including the gauges and interesting feaures such as the "purse hook" on the back of the passenger seat, and the toll ticket holder. I think I also saw buttons for heated seats behind the auto trans. Overall I think it is a very nice update, especially the engine!!
    maybe it'll grow on me. The 360 view on the website helps a bit. Just the same, it really is a Kia grille.

Overall, the car is so nice just as it is, that it really only needed minor changes. That is saying something.
    One can of flat black spray paint and some masking tape.

I noticed they didn't change the rear end, which I'm glad to see because I like the current rear styling.
    I like the styling improvements. The jewel-like tailight design with the circular brake light motif (all Hyundais use that design right now; kind of a family design trait) looks sporty and more expensive. The larger chrome grill, more aggressively designed lower bumper, larger headlights, and more prominent hood bulge gives the front a sportier, more grown-up look. I think they did a good job. Recently, every updated Hyundai design has looked better than the original in my eyes. Hyundai seems to be on a roll.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    THE HUMANOIDS MUST NOT ESCAPE!!!!!!!!
    Edmunds.com rates the Elantra GLS 2nd, less than one point behind the Civic EX in their latest economy car comparo. Not too shabby for the Elantra, given the Civic is more than $4k more as tested than the Elantra (and with buyers reporting purchases of Elantras with the same equipment for $10.5K, it's a steal over the $18.5K Civic even if you get a good deal on the Civic).
    Traded off an 3 month old Pearl white 03 Suzuki automatic FWD Aerio SX for a Champagne Hyundai 03 GLS automatic, package 2, with cargo net & carpets.

Zuki may have been a fine car for an 18 year old. It probably would have been a long lasting reliable car. You would think that would be good to have a long lasting reliable car. It would be if the annoyances weren't piling up.

What did I lose other than money for the trade in vs loan balance?
    ($10,750 trade in on a car listing for $16,000)
    SX Had in dash 6 CD Clarion stereo
    SX had timing chain vs timing belt
    SX looked kind of cool
    SX had more cargo capacity
    SX had more horsepower
    SX powertrain warranty fully transferable
    SX Outside temperature gauge
    SX High seating position, easy entry/exit

Lost, but not missed
    SX shocking experience in exiting vehicle - ZAP ZAP
    SX Bug gut billboard front bumper
    SX Snow plow front bumper that would be expensive to replace
    SX Bug gut display on mirrors
    SX BLACK! dirt and cat hair magnet upholstery
    SX upholstery that was wearing on window sill from resting my arm
    SX ride from hell on rough pavement (BTW - Number one reason for getting rid of car)
    SX that is tossed around in high wind
    SX perpetually dirty back hatch window
    SX Sticky/static charged, hard, OPTIONAL installed center armrest
    SX Front cup holders that were out of easy reach

Gained
    GLS - 5 year 60K warranty vs 3 year 36K
    GLS - Front side air bags
    GLS - quiet ride, stable ride
    GLS - 400 tread wear Michelins vs 200 wear somethings??
    GLS - somewhat better sun visors. (Aren't stuck against your head if used on side window like Aerio)
    GLS - Two rear cup holders
    GLS - Better arranged center storage, lined coin box, storage under stereo, storage under center stack, cubby for front passenger
    Wow, you traded your 03 Aerio in on a Hyundai too?? Now I don't feel so stupid! Are you planning on posting your list of disappointments on the Aerio board? By the way, I was just as annoyed by the constant zaps everytime I got out of the car, the tendency to attract every hair it could find, and the constantly dirty back window. In fact, I agree with your entire list of cons. Did you notice how horribly inadequate the coverage of the sunvisors were? I'm short and I always ended up getting blinded by all the light blaring through the huge side windows! They really need to put larger visors on that car and allow them to move further away from your head. I have been much happier with the quality and design of my Tiburon. I hope your Elantra pleases you just as much.
    The Aerio was fun to drive. Then I realized that I would be getting my kidneys jolted day in and day out on my 50 mile daily drive for 46 more car payments.
    The ride was so harsh it makes me wonder how modifiers can lower their Aerio even more. They must have perfect roads where they live.

Re:Sun visors were pretty bad. I had considered looking for after market replacement that had an extender to cover more area.

Hopefully I got rid of the water from the drivers window that ended up dripping on the window switches in the Aerio. It looks like the Elantra has this solved.

I'm not a speed demon and I realized what I'm looking for in a commuter car is to get from A to B in reasonable comfort and economy. (30mpg on first tank of gas :^)

Only problem with the Elantra so far is the turn signal doesn't turn off when finishing a turn. It worked initially. At least I can hear the turn signal is on in the Elantra. I hope it isn't an ordeal to fix.

I'll be getting service at a dealer that I didn't buy the car from. The dealer I bought the car from is too far away. I've never had to do this, I guess they don't care as long as they get reimbursed for warranty work from Hyundai. I just hope their service techs are superior to their salesmen.
    People thought I was nuts when I bought the Aerio. They're getting the white restraining jacket ready when they hear I traded it for a Hyundai.

Hope they won't need it.
    What kind of hit did you take on the Suzuki? How much did you originally pay for it and what was the trade-in. Did you really pay $16K for the Elantra? My son bought his equipped the same as yours only he got the 5-speed for $10K.
    You know you're asking me to tell you how stupid I was to buy the Aerio don't you? Plus the embarrassment of being upside down on a loan?

03 Aerio SX new was $16,000 minus February's $1,000 cash back and 1.9% financing. (Current Aerio rebate is $2000 cash back & maybe 0% financing)

Kelly blue book (excellent condition) is $11,300 trade in for Aerio. Real life trade in from several dealers is $8,500 to $9,000.

Invoice on Elantra was $13,577 List was $14,755.
    Trade in + 1500 cash back to dealer = $12,550
    So I got $11,050 for trade in. (Optimistic view)

Out the door cost was $14,490 - realistic price for Elantra would have been $13,712 (Invoice +1%)
    $13,712 - $1500 rebate = $12,212

$14,490 - $12,212 = $2278 Worth of stupidity

You don't know how bad I wanted out of the Aerio.
    Being upside down on the loan cuts you off at the knees in trying to make a deal. Ended up buying gap insurance to cover difference between payoff and real world insurance reimbursements.

I'm much happier with the car. I had better be happy because the trade in for the Elantra is maybe $9,000 if you're lucky.
    no judgements here. I was just curious because you were going from one brand of '03 car to another.

If it cost $2278 for you to be happy with your purchase, then so be it. IF you learned anything from the experience, then the $2K+ was the price you paid for the lesson.

I've made some stupid auto purchases along the way, too.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    Like tall cross-over design and digital dash didn't bother me as much as I thought. Much cruder fit and finish than the Elantra though. Felt like a totally different class of car. Much cruder than my friend's 3-door Focus too.

I paid $11.2 for a group II 5-speed in July 01. First problem at 40K was a neutral safety switch that misfired sporadically. Dealer bypassed and will install new one on Tuesday. Other than that it's been a totally reliable 40,000 miles.