Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• are you all using the 87 octane like me or higher?
  • Gas mileage anywhere between 18 and 35 depending on the usual factors such as length of trip, highway, stop and go, traffic, weather etc, etc. Have 02 GT with auto.

One tire is shot at this point (15K) Will probably replace all 4 at about 20K in spring. Any recommendations? Anybody do worse than me on tire mileage? As I've posted before, I never nor do any of my acquaintances get more than 30K out of tires.

Local dealer advertising a $9,999 price for a GLS with auto, sunroof, remote entry, CD, antilock brakes! Includes $1,000 loyalty bonus and $400 college grad. Not bad?
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I bought Royal TigerPaw GTH's at Wal-Mart. About $240 for four including lifetime rotation and repair. Much more satisfactory than the over-rated OEM Energies.
  • Looks like the Elantra has moved up to "above average" predicted reliability from the most recent CR data, up from "average". This is good news. Now if something could be done about that "poor" rating in offset crash tests ...

Had recall performed today. My service department took care of this quickly and courteously. I am coming close to 36K miles in a little over two years.
  • Themanx: No, haven't changed the oil yet, but will very shortly. Have got close to 3000 miles on the '03. Dealer wants us to bring it in after 5000 miles. I think that's just too much!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    How do you all seem to put such low mileage on your cars?!? I wish I could do that...

I had an 02 Jetta that was 18 months old when totalled, it had 40K. Of course back then, I was commuting about 100 miles daily. My new car, bought 7/9/03, now has 9300 miles on it with less of a commute. I think I just drive too much, but they're made to be driven, right? :)
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    bought a new F-250 in Nov of '02; I drove it Monday and it rolled over to 52k...
  • themanxthemanx Posts: 110
    I know it is overkill to change at 3000 miles, but I like to get my first oil change done sooner than needed to make sure the engine gets fresh lube.

Of course that would mean that my wife would have to give it to me for a day to get it done. She has a 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee that she likes, sunroof and the works.. but I think she likes to drive the Elantra more.

The reason I got the Elantra is because she did not like driving her 97 Sebring convertible I restored for her... women! go figure! I traded it in and she loves the Elantra.

ElantraStan
    http://www.stanarseneaux.com/elantra/
    My 03 Elantra GLS
  • Just fueled up yesterday. Got 25 mpg strictly in town driving. Can't wait to get the oil changed! I know,too,that it sounds like overkill to change it @ 3000 miles. But I feel the same way, I wanna get fresh oil in it. Somehow I feel compelled to go to the dealer at least the first few times for the oil changes, then maybe to a Jiffylube after that and keep receipts for proof. Gotta believe the mpg's will go up after the first oil change, not that I'm complaining. I think mine's right on where it should be.
      What do all of you think about the literature you've gotten after buying your Elantras? Never had any other manufacturer (Ford and Chrysler) send stuff out like that.
      So far, VERY satisfied!
  • Hey obsidian I agree totally on the amount of surveys etc that they send out I think its awesome. I feel like I bought a $50,000 car instead of 12,000 :) As for gas mileage I am not complaining but I sure hope mine goes up after first oil change @ 3000 (im at 1700 now) cuz im getting like 19-20 in strictly city driving and im making sure that I drive conservatively.
  • hjr2hjr2 Posts: 105
    ok. 02 and 03, 15,000 and under msrp, Hyundai Elantra won. This year, not even in "top 2".

My gripe(s) goes like this:
    1) Edmunds got an 01 Elantra(no, Elantra did not win 01, either)... and did a Long Term test drive, BEFORE they voted it #1 for 2002(since 02 was virtually same car anyways as 01).
    They put over 15,000 miles on it.

2) Mazda3 is #1, and only been out 3-4 weeks? How can this be?
    Hyundai DID NOT "get a free ride", why Mazda3?
    The "new' Civic is #2.
    Have any of these cars been driven for 15,000 miles, BEFORE they got #1(like Elantra ?). No, of course not.

Is it even 04 yet?

Thought last judgement they made for Editors Most Wanted was March of 2003, not Nov first of 2002 for 03's.

Hope I do not get booted from this website, but, I think they lost a tad bit of creditbility. Hyundai needed a year/15,000 miles before they voted for it.

Everyone else gets 1 hour drive and the vote of "yes", this is the best?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,715
    Actually, I thought it was interesting that Edmunds.com voted the Mazda3 (which looks like it will be a fine small car) "Most Wanted" before it is even available for sale in North America. They haven't even done a full test on it yet. Also, note that they voted it the most wanted sedan under $15k, but the picture they used for the award page was for the Mazda3 hatchback. The other thing is that the only Mazda3 that can be had for under $15k is the Mazda3 i sedan with no options. That means no A/C, no power windows/locks/mirrors, no side air bags, no remote keyless entry, no height-adjustable driver's seat--all standard on the base Elantra GLS. Personally I wouldn't call a stripper version of the Mazda3 "most wanted"--I doubt many will be equipped that way.

As for the Civic, since this category was for cars under $15k, the Civic that they gave Honorable Mention to must be either the DX sedan or the Value Package sedan, since all the other sedans are over $15k. Now I think Civics are good little cars, especially in EX trim, but I ask you: would you rather have an Elantra GLS with power everything, side air bags, multi-adjustable driver's seat, 138 hp, and the Hyundai warranty, or a stripper Civic sedan with 115 hp, crank windows and manual locks and mirrors? Actually, given the rebates available on Elantras, you could probably get an Elantra GT for the price of the Civic DX with A/C, or the VP.

As for me, I'd rather have my '01 GLS than any other sub-$15k car available today. I think the Mazda3 will turn out to be a better car overall than the Elantra, but at a much higher price, and I don't know for sure because Mazda3s aren't available to test-drive yet.
  • hjr2hjr2 Posts: 105
    I did see on wardsauto.com, on Nov 3rd, that for Mazda sales figures, they sold few mazda3's(just a bit over 500), so it does not sound like they have been out long, or only in limited releases.
    But, I do agree, why would a stripped down car(in this day of "I want it all in my vehicle") be Most Wanted, and has Barely even hit the showrooms?
    Yes, the mazda3 looks good, I agree.
    but, on sale, I could have had a 03 GT hatchback(or sedan) for 13,999, or 14,99 if not a Hyundai owner(they had 2,500 off, plus 1000 for current Hyundai owners).

I dunno.
    Also, this is a Hyundai forum, but since Kia is now called a sister company, the Amanti is coming out in December(the xg350, in a more "expensive looking" package).
    From what I have researched, XG350 has had Zero recalls in 4 years or so since it's release...so the Amanti should do well, also.
    Think in the under 25K they picked a VW?
    If I had the cash, I would not mind driving a car that looks like a Benz/Bentley/Jag(lines) for $23K.
    To me, That deserves a shot for 04 car under 25K.
    (read it will have the equiptment of cars costing 35-40K, by other companies).
    Like the GLS, Loaded like a 20K cars, for 13K on sale.....the Amanti would do the same in it's class.

Maybe they got tired of giving it to Hyundai for 2 years in-a-row?
    At least Hyundai Earned It!

If they had Tested these cars for a year(ok, civic is solid car, but the one I drove, hate to say it, Underwhelmed me) and said"mazda3 is #1, etc..I may have to say"ok, they earned it".

What gets me, is that people Bash Hyundai on main page(despite Factual Information/long term test drives on Elantra), yet will accept this Mazda3 #1 w/o a test drive, even.
    Hunh?

Whatever.
    Have a good week.
  • Finally tallied the mpg on my '03 Elantra. With an odometer of 550, I got 25.78 MPG on the last tank. Mostly city driving.

Quick question - Purchased it at the end of October from the dealer. How do I tell if the recall fix has been done or not?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Tell 'em what you think - editor@edmunds.com
    Yes, some Mazda3's have been ordered, so Mazda can report that cars have been sold, but they have not yet been delivered to customers in the U.S.--so no one has actually driven one yet except a few people from the press.

But back to the Elantra--scheduled the brake line recall for Wednesday. Will have them take another look at the weatherstripping too to see if they can eliminate the wind noise.
  • themanxthemanx Posts: 110
    I thought I was the only one that thought it was strange the "NEW" Mazda 3 was picked in the Edmunds 04 best of lineup...

Made me go hmnnnnnnnnnnn....

ElantraStan
  • I just read in the Detroit Free Press online edition www.freep.com that Hyundai will extend the current long warranty till 2008. This demonstrates that the company remains confident (as we are) in its ever-increasing quality. Perhaps it also indicates that warranty costs remain very manageable. Same article mentions the new Tucson SUV, likely based on the Elantra platform as some of us have discussed, yes?
  • browneybrowney Posts: 104
    I upgraded my 01 Elantra CD player 2 months ago to a Pioneer DEH-P5500MP. I didn't want to have to listen to the radio anymore and its endless commercials and I didn't want to install a CD changer. With this deck I can now listen to MP3 CDs I have made that have 10 or more albums on the same CD. You do of course have to convert your audio CDs to MP3 or WMA and then burn them on new CDs.
    This deck has excellent audio, much better than the Hyundai CD.
    It was selling for $239 at circuit city but I got it from www.gopcplus.com/pcplus/ for $165 plus $12 S&H.
    I also got a harness for it from www.autotoys.com for $9.50 + $3.50 S&H.
    So if anyone out there is considering upgrading your unit this one is worth considering. :)
  • I have an 03 GLS with 3600 miles that to date has been a great car. I was looking at some pictures of other Elantras and noticed that they have tweeters in the upper door. Mine doesn't have these and I was wondering if some do and some don't. Thanks for the help.
    The tweeters come with any GLS package that has the stereo upgrade. If you don't have one of those packages, you don't get the tweeters. They are standard on the GT.
  • I think in 2003 all Elantra models were upgraded to include tweeters in the doors. I've seen cassette-equipped models with these.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    If anyone wants an idea of possible future safety upgrades for the Elantra, check out the just released Kia Cerato (go to future vehicles forum). This car will replace the Spectra here, although we are unsure if it will carry the Cerato name. Anyway, this car is basically a reskinned Elantra with lots of interesting new features. If you look at the interior of the Cerato, you will notice the front door panels are exact replicas of the Elantra's, right down to the power window switches and tweeters. What you will also notice is head airbags that pop out of the roof for front and rear passengers (in addition to the airbag that pops out of the seat)and an active front seat that reclines while the headrest moves up to reduce whiplash injuries (just like the Saab and Volvo design)! I couldn't believe the little Kia had these features!! They also showed beautiful leather seats, heated seats, a radio control stalk on the left of the steering wheel just like the cruise control stalk, traction control, electronic brake force distribution, and a navigation system. I wouldn't expect the navigation system to make the voyage over here but if the rest does, this car would be a hit. It looks great inside and out and the features list would blow everything out of the water in its price class. The interior is almost a dead ringer for the Sonata's but at an Elantra's price. It really makes the Elantra look plain and boring. Well, check the car out guys and tell me what you think of its looks.
  • hmm my 03 Elantra does not have the tweeters either but I did not get to choose any packages mine came with the cassette/stereo and I got the dealer to throw in a free 6 cd disc changer in the trunk
  • Keep in mind that features offered in the Korean market don't always make it to the rest of the world. After all, Korean Elantras are available with a navigation system, automatic climate control and steering wheel mounted audio controls.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I realize that. But the increase in safety features may represent an improvement for the 05 Elantra. The US is safety feature happy and now that the Elantra platform has been designed to offer head airbags, it's only a matter of time before they show up here.
  • I am thinking about selling my older Hyundai car
    in a private sale and then buying a new Elantra but I don't want to miss out on the $1000 loyalty owner rebate.

What are the rules regarding the loyalty owner rebate? Must I buy the new car first before selling my old car? Or do they give you some leeway? I would very much prefer to sell my old car first.

Has anyone used the loyalty owner rebate - what does the dealer check for?
    www.hyundaiusa.com says that you must be "currently a registered owner of a vehicle distributed by Hyundai Motor America" to get the loyalty rebate. It also says to check your dealer for details. One thing you could do is reach an agreement to sell your car (e.g. to a private party or dealer) and execute a signed purchase agreement stating the price and other terms (and get a non-refundable deposit from the buyer) but make the effective date the next day. Then go buy the new car, and the next day finalize the sale of your used car and turn over the title then.
  • Can't really call it a design flaw, but I bet I've whacked my head a half dozen times on the trunk latch while getting things in and out of the trunk. Wife has done it, too. Dunno if the trunk just doesn't open high enough or that latch is positioned just right for us to hit our heads on it. Did it twice yesterday!! I'm sure the rest of you are getting a good laugh out of it and to tell you the truth if it happened to someone else rather than me, I'd laugh, too!! OUCH!!
      Lemme know if there's any other poor saps out there who have done it, too!