Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,233
    Re-oiling is easy enough. Take out the filter, tap out any debris that'll come loose, hose it clean, let it dry, spray on the oil (the $10 can will last for several cleanings), IIRC let that set a bit to drain any excess, reinstall. In theory you do it every 50K miles but I do it annually. There is a lot of construction in my area (Chicago suburbs), so lots of dust gets raised in addition to the normal garbage in the air we and our cars breathe.

I have them in my 99 Galant (90K miles) and my wife's 01 Elantra (37K miles).
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I've read a lot of conflicting info on K&N filters. This one website stated they decided to put K&N to the test by installing the filters on their construction equipment(tractors I believe), since they operate them in heavy dust areas and the added power and longer service life was of interest to them. According to their findings, the K&N filters provided negligible increases in power and actually caused internal damage to the engines (leading to a few engine failures if I remember correctly). Their thought was that the oil doesn't provide good enough protection from smaller particles entering the engine and scouring metal surfaces. They stated the regular paper filters offered far better protection and they switched back to them, with no further internal engine damage. This does make sense to me because added airflow has to come at a cost. There is always a compromise involved with HP gains. Race engines may use them but they aren't expected to last long either.

I've also heard that if a K&N filter is too oily, the oil can actually get sucked into the intake and mess up sensitive sensors like mass airflow units.

While this is all heresay and some people swear by them, these reports are enough to make me pause about putting one in a new car under warranty or one I plan on keeping a real long time. I do currently use one in an 84 VW GTI with over 200k and its been there since 1996 with no reoiling and I haven't noticed any ill effects, but I haven't opended up the engine to look for scouring either...
    Before getting beat up for drifting so far OT...

Thanks for the info. Interesting read. Still, I would hazard a guess that the needs of construction equipment would differ from that of passenger cars. The airflow rate may be too high for the K&N methodology to work reliably. Also, I would assume the construction equipment is diesel and not gasoline. Diesel systems may be more sensitive to a little oil/dirt in the mix than gas engines.

Again, I'd agree the power increase is trivial and probably barely measurable let alone noticeable. But I think if you don't over oil the filter they work fine as a lifetime replacement. My dealership's service department knows I have one and has never mentioned anything bad about them to me.

K&N says their filters won't violate a new car warranty, so if damage does occur, they could be held liable. Important for those of us with the Elantra's 100K warranty (how's that for bringing it back on track?).
  • nickimomnickimom Posts: 11
    Hello folks. I am a new owner of a 2004 Hyundai GT hatchback. Purchased June 14, I have about 1700 miles on it. Usually only have kids in car in back seat. Hubby and I have been in car together recently, and airbag light stays illuminated. Took it in and they called me back today to say don't worry. I read bulletins, and if hubby's 220 lbs or my 160 don't cover enough sensors, there is a problem! It can also go on and off, and we aren't wiggling around. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • jimijamesjimijames Posts: 41
    There was a fairly lengthy discussion about this in this forum starting at message #4172.

You said in the problems and solutions forum that the dealer said not to worry because the airbag will deploy whether the airbag light is on or off. In my opinion, your dealer sucks. Find another. Yet another example of how poor Hyundai dealer support is.. which is too bad because the cars are much better than they used to be. As I stated before, Hyundai's response to this airbag issue is cr@p... I am very disappointed with the Hyundai brand right now.
  • Edmunds' latest top ten list provides the top towing vehicles and they rate the Elantra at 9, commenting "No, this is not a typo. The Elantra offers 3,086 pounds of towing capacity."

I looked in the database and sure enough, Edmunds has the Elantra rated at 3086 pounds. I STILL think that this must be a typo - FWD, unibody construction, short wheelbase, and 135 hp are just not the typical specs of a hauler. The Santa Fe maxes out at 2,800 according to Edmunds. Can someone verify Edmunds' claim that this is a sleeper hauler or if there is some option or some explanation why Hyundai transforms Clark Kent into Superman for their towing champ?

3,086 really looks more like a GVWR for a vehicle in this class. I tried checking on other sites and only found one other. It lists the tow rating at 1,212, which is more in line with what I might normally expect. Thanks!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,687
    The secret behind the Elantra's humongous towing capacity is a unique design feature that helps distribute the load across the drive wheels. This feature has been described by some as "wheel shimmy" and is considered to be a defect by some, rather than a feature.

I'm sorry, that was not helpful but I couldn't resist. 8-)
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    " If you are buying a high performance filter for airflow, K&N is tops in this test."

----------------------------------------------

Thank you. Thats all I had to know.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    So the findings about poor filtration doesn't matter to you at all? Just curious. This test is another one that proves what I've read elsewhere regarding the filtration properties of K&N. I'd rather less junk get in my engine with a smaller chance of internal damage then earn a 0.01 percent increase in hp or fuel economy.
  • altsuvaltsuv Posts: 53
    I tried checking on other sites and only found one other. It lists the tow rating at 1,212, which is more in line with what I might normally expect.

Can you post a link to that site? I'm very curious about this...

thanks
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Yeah, the filtration part of the test DOES matter and it was very enlightening. It showed that even with the Mazda paper filter installed for 500 miles...the secondary test filter still turned black. Which shows that no matter what filter media you use the micro particles will get thru.

Its all a matter of what lets you sleep at night. If using paper filters makes you sleep better so be it...use paper.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Posts: 153
    Hi.
    The owners manual states the trailer towing for the Elantra as 1874 lbs.
    Niels
    Sorry about the double post.
    Backy, does that mean the Elantra can tow 2 X 1874 = 3748 lbs. That should take care of any shimmy.
    Niels
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Posts: 620
    I would prefer better filtration over negligible increases in airflow, so the K&N is off my list. Thanks all, for the help.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    About the double post, don't worry about it - it happens to all of us sooner or later due to an oddity in the software here. If you hit Refresh (or Reload or whatever your browser calls it) after making a post, the message will repost.

It's best to use the "Recent Msgs" link on the page bar to redisplay a page after posting.

I deleted the duplicate. :)
  • nctd.com is the web site = New Car Test Drive. http://nctd.com/review-final.cfm?Vehicle=2004_Hyundai_Elantra&amp- ;ReviewID=1461 is the Summary Page for the Elantra and where I found the tow rating listed.
  • Thanks for the information! One more question if you don't mind - does the manual distinguish between braked and unbraked trailer tow rates? Thanks again.
    Not a bad comparison at first glance, but it falls apart quickly. It was neither very scientific nor very accurate.

A color comparison is not valid. Not all airborne particles will have the same reflectivity and thus will not impart the same degree of 'darkness' or color. A more valid test would have been to weigh each secondary filter as closely as possible. Say to the thousandth of a gram. Weigh before and after and compare to determine which filter let the most particulate mass through.

Even more startling, though, is the lack of a controlled environment. Each filter was tested under different conditions - mainly driving them at different times. Simple things like construction equipment driving through the area, recent rainfall (or heavy wind or other weather activity), the traffic immediately ahead of the vehicle, etc. can dramatically alter the localized air conditions. Specifically the particles in the air. Think of how mold and pollen counts change on a daily basis depending on the weather. He even mentions being close to what is in essence a rain forest. This was not a controlled environment test.

While I will agree with the basic conclusion that more airflow will by and large come with less filtration, this test is nowhere near scientifically valid. I would not draw any conclusions regarding filtration capabilities from that article.
  • starriverstarriver Posts: 26
    I agree that they are related but you may get both if you do properly.

For simple model, let's take a screen as the model of the filter
         | | | |
       --|-|-|-|--
       --|-|-|-|--
       --|-|-|-|--
         | | | |
    The filtering size will be determined by the size of the rectangular window of the screen. The filtration rate will be determined by (Area - Blocked area)/Area. Blocked area is the area taken by horizontal and vertical lines. I guess what I want to say is that when you use thiner wires you can achieve both good filtration and flow.
    the manual reads. with brake: l874lbs. without brake: 1000lbs. tonque weight is 10% of this in each case.
    Niels
    I went to my dealer an hour or so ago, and they have a loaded Elantra GT 5-door, 5-speed, with moonroof and ABS -- in my favorite color, black. Am I on the verge of trading my beloved Betsy sedan after only three years? Maybe I just need to sleep on it ...
  • firemanjackfiremanjack Posts: 122
    Poor Betsy...gives her all for three years...a pretty new face comes along and...dumpster time..Hehe
     How much for the new GT? Jack
    Thanks, I already feel bad about dumping her (which I really don't wish to do). :)

As for price, the sale sign was down between the seats, but I think $14,500 - $15K is a reasonable guess considering how the other GTs were equipped. The only thing I would request is a grey pinstripe at the upper end of the doors. My current black pinstripe makes a nice difference on Champagne.
  • firemanjackfiremanjack Posts: 122
    It'll be interesting to find out what your 01 is worth in trade, Jim. I was driving my little Betsy today, 02 5M, 38K miles..and thinking about your comments re. a new GT..I have 2 years to go on payments..probably just break even on the loan...Just a pipe dream at the moment..Other than the dreaded 60-80 shimmy..I love this car..
                                         Jack
  • kmagkmag Posts: 98
    I had the same shimmying problem in a new Excel years ago. The dealer finally replaced the tires with Michelins, which solved the problem - until I had to rotate them.

I found that the only way to get the shimmy down to a tolerable level was go to a shop where they could balanced the wheels while they were on the car.
    I would prefer to sell the car rather than trade, but I do know that I have never been "upside down" with my car loan. In a trade I could net perhaps $1K after my payoff, vs. about $2700 if I sell. This is based on Kelley's and NADA. I may stop at the dealer in a while and really check out the GT.
  • jprybajpryba Posts: 201
    Has anyone else tried on-car balancing to solve (or considerably lessen) their shimmy? If so, what were the results?
    I'm glad you are asking about this, because I am also curious how to balance the rotors since balancing wheels usually means removing them. If on-car balancing does the trick I'll have to find a place that will do it.
  • Good one..I recall oncar being a popular way to balance tires awhile back..seems now the latest Hunter wheel balance balances only the wheel and tire...not the other rolling parts..I wonder...
     Gotta check this out...Jack