Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    LOL -
    I have been following that Civic vs Elantra forum...getting pretty crazy. Hang in there backy, you are still among the handfull of posters around here I value the most (in terms of posting things of relevance).
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Um, that comment was not called for.

No one answered my question. How does touching the face of the bulb affect what goes on inside the bulb?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    It doesn't, directly. But once the casing of the bulb is compromised, it can lead to premature failure. Here is additional info:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=286499#answer
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    keep on posting I enjoy them and think you give good advice.it is only the last word if no one asks you another question concerning that topic. last word or not so what
  • doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    As an engineer, I think it works like this: The bulb itself heats up to very high temeratures. The bulb surface heats up. When you put oils on the surface from your fingers, it alters the heat transfer properties of the surface and there are localized hot and cool spots which cause stresses in the bulb which make it shatter.

Having said all that, I don't believe it. I think that in *some* cases, you can do this, but I've changed out bulbs with my fingers and they lasted a good long time. Using gloves or what have you is just insurance.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    The oils from your fingers create optical obstructions in the glass as the light does not pass cleanly through. Heats up the glass and either cracks the glass or the reflected heat overtemps the filament, which is already super hot. Either way -poof- dead bulb.

In television studio lighting, I have seen the halogen lights used during broadcast explode. A bubble would form on the glass where the fingerprint was and would blow out about ten minutes after power up. Lots of noise, and lots of glass shards. The bulbs had a scatter shield deflector for safety.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Interesting - I was talking to Karen, my co-host, who has had a lot of theater experience. She has seen the same thing you describe with stage lights.

I would never have known this. Thanks all!
  • Hi Everyone,

Long time since I've posted or read in here but now have a somewhat mundain question. Before I ask the question, just want to state that I'm still loving my 2005 Elantra hatchback. It has been a really good car for me and have had no problems with it.

Now my question.

I live in a small city that has crazy quilt street system. There, supposedly, is only one street in town that runs virtually north south and none that run virtually east west. Street System is pretty much diagonal. My natural compass, my brain, gets completely confused. I'd like to get a car compass (not a full GPS system just a compass) that will work inside the car. I bought a real cheapie floating compass but apparently the car magnetics,electrical system, or metals in the car completely confuse it. No matter what direction I drive it says I'm going south to southeast. The second reason I want a compass is that I am a storm spotter for the National Weather Service, and it's not always convenient to get out of the car to use a handheld compass to figure out directions (like in a downpour with 50 mph winds when you can't see any landmarks and have no idea what direction you're facing). My handheld gets confused inside the car, also, even when sitting with the motor off. Does anyone have any recommendations for an auto compass that won't break the bank...I'm talking under $50...or is that a dream?
    I did a google search and found a variety of digital compasses, starting at under $15. The one for under $15 said it compensated for the car's magnetic field. Then there's the auto-dimming rear view mirrors with integrated compasses, but those are over $50 (more like $200). Since having accurate direction is so important to you, maybe it's worth the bucks--and you'd get an auto-dimming mirror to boot! Then there was a digital compass with outside temperature for about $130. So it looks like there's several options. You could also try eBay and maybe find a bargain there.
  • igarrettigarrett Posts: 3
    I am experiencing a similar problem with my wifes 99 Elantra wagon. The error code is 301, 303 and 304...indicating intermittant misfires. My question is where to start to fix it. I can't afford the dealer, but have a good working knowledge as to minor repairs and tune-ups. Can you offer any help?
    Thanks
    My wifes 99 Elantra is showing the above codes and the book says these are intermittant misfires. My question is where to start. I can do the plugs, wires and coil, but after that I am kinda limited in the knowledge area. I have run a couple of bottles of injector cleaner through it with no positive change. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please reply to this email and my home email . Thanks :)
    How many miles are on the car, and have the plug wires been changed? How long since last tune up?
    I went ahead and changed out the plugs and wires as a start and discovered that one plug was broken, and two wires had fallen apart or deteriorated to the point that I had to use some duct tape on the end of a screw driver to get out all the little pieces. I replaced all the wires and plugs, started it up and it runs like new. It has 85,000 on it and this is the first minor tune-up I have given it. We inherited the car with 66,000 on it.
    Thanks for your input and help.
    igarrett
    I love it when a plan comes together ...

We sometimes talk about how they don't build 'em like they used to. They sure don't. No way a '60's model car would run 85K without a tune up!
    If anyone prefers the previous-gen Elantra, especially the hatchback, there are still a few new ones out there. I saw three of them this weekend at Metro Hyundai in Bloomington, MN. They were all loaded with the ABS/roof package: a champagne GLS AT, a blue GLS AT hatch, and a blue GT MT hatch. That blue is a sharp color. Interestingly the GT was a few hundred less than the GLS hatch (which was an AT though). Hyundai really bumped up the price of the GLS hatch at the end it seems.
    I wish I could snag that blue one. But... I don't need a second Elantra. :P
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Posts: 43
    Hi,

The battery in my remote seems to be wearking out after 5 years. Where can I get new battery for it and do I need to go back to dealer to have the remote with new battery reprogrammed? Thanks in advance.

By the way, my car is 2002 Elantra GT 5-door.

m.
    If the car isn't quite five years old and you have less than 60k miles on it, you might be able to get the remote replaced under warranty.

I am pretty sure the dealer has to reprogram it once the battery is replaced, or if they give you a new one. You can get these remotes pretty cheap on eBay if the warranty has expired and they are going to charge too much to fix or replace it.
  • kev02gtkev02gt Posts: 12
    The alarm remote takes battery type CR2032 available at Radio Shack for five dollars. Pry open remote with screwdriver or penknife and replace- no programing required. There are instructions in the owners manual. I also have a 2002 GT 5-door, with 115K miles, not under warranty. ;)
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    I bought my battery at Wal-Mart (I found it over at the camera section). Just pryed the alarm open with a small screwdriver, and replaced the battery. No reprogramming neccessary.

I have an '02
    My understanding is that the remote has its code hardwired into it, and the "programming" that is done is on the car side- the ETACS- which stores the code for that remote as a "good one" that the car should respond to. So I bet it is not necessary to reprogram it after replacing the battery. If you do need to program it though, here are a couple links for how to reprogram a 2001-03 Elantra key fob:

Original version (text only)

New version with pictures
    Thanks, all your guys.

I inserted a new CR2032 batter and it totally works.

Now, I have another question about brakes. My 02 GT is on the orginal brakes with almost 50,000 miles. I feel it is probably time to change the pads, but I am not sure which is the best option, going back to dealer or a local shop.

I think I can get OEM or original Hyundai parts online and ask local mechanic to install, but does anybody have such experience and how do you like it. Or, I can just lay back and ask dealer to replace them, but I will have to go 60-mile round trip and pay more. So, which way makes more sense based on your experience?

Thanks in advance.
    Are you thinking about changing pads because the car has 50,000 miles on it, or because the pads are worn to the point of needing replacement? I am not trying to be a smart-aleck, but the reason I ask is that when my '01 Elantra had 45,000 miles on it, I had the brakes checked (my sister was buying it and wanted good brakes), and there was still lots of life left on both the front and rear brakes. So just because it's got 50k miles on it doesn't necessarily mean it needs new pads.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    our 05 gt has the original brakes and it has almost 60,000 miles. We recently had the car in for service and were told the brakes still have plenty of life left. we do mostly highway driving.
    From what I've heard, the brakes are pretty normal to change out. On the rear discs, the rear discs a special tool is needed to retract the piston, but a lot of other cars use something similar. I would think a local shop could do it.

I think Elantra brakes fall into to camps: For a lot of people they wear evenly and long. For some, they get out of alignment and wear out prematurely. They have that ugly sounding scrape strip, though, so you should know when the brakes need replacing; they'll sound awful!

As for what kind of brakes, I have no clue. On another forum I know that people like to use aftermarket brake pads as an upgrade but I can't remember what they are....
    Oddly enough, on my '05 GT, the rear brakes were down to 20% at 20K. I replaced them with aftermarkets (still organic)and with 24K they still look good. The fronts are the originals with a total of 44K, and they still look to be about 50%.

On the other hand, my '02 GLS would go through a set of front pads every 20K.

Strange. :confuse:
    Once again, thanks everyone for your quick responses.

IIRC, my front and rear pads still had 70% and 50% left when I did my 30K service at the dealer. At this moment, I hear the high-pitch brake sounds every morning after I drive out of garage. The noise may last for about 1 or 2 miles and then just go away.

Since I normally don't open windows during driving, I am not so sure if the noise really fades out after the initial driving. I will roll down the window and hear carefully next time I am on the road.

If any of you guys have replaces the brake pads, will you mind giving me an idea on how much I am look at if I replace all four pads at once, dealer or local?

Really appreciate your help. Have a great day.

min
  • keyser2keyser2 Posts: 25
    My wife had a head-on collision in her 2000 Elantra. The air bags did not deploy. What's up with that? Does anyone keep statistics on that?
    First off, I hope she is okay. Second, at what speed did the accident occur, and third, have you owned the car since new?

If she was traveling fast enough to do serious damage to the car, and you know the history of the car (never been wrecked to deploy bags before) then yes, NHTSA will want to investigate. These are the guys who can initiate a recall for safety issues when the manufacturer doesn't want to. They have the authority over all vehicles sold in the US.
    there are no airbag related recalls on the 2000 Elantra. In fact, there is only one safety recall, and that is associated with the MAP sensor on the engine. Could cause the engine to stall.

While there are some complaints listed over the past few years, none has warranted an investigation. If you go to the NHTSA.gov web site and review the complaints, be aware that not all detail is given, and in some cases the airbags should NOT have deployed, ie "hit a deer".