Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• robjamesrobjames Posts: 3
    i have an '02 elantra (135K) and just recently had both input/output sensors replaced as my transmission was also slipping in and out of gear. this alleviated the problem immediately and cost about $250. car runs great as it always has. Hyundais have historically had two problems: transmissions and timing belts, other than that, good cars.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,694
    Is the timing belt a problem (e.g. premature failures), or just that it requires replacement as a maintenance item? I don't recall reading about timing belt problems on Elantras. I've read a few reports on transmission problems, but not that many considering how many of them are on the road.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,234
    We got a recall notice today for my wife's '01 Elantra. Affected vehicles are 01-03 Elantras and 03 Tiburons produced during certain dates and sold in the snow/salt/rust belt.

Apparently the salt can potentially corrode the front lower control arms. The fix is to replace if damaged or alter (add holes; maybe for drainage or ventilation?) if not seriously damaged.

The front subframe will also be inspected for similar damage. Replace if damaged; treat with rust proofing if not.
  • I just bought my second elantra. I have a 2009 GLS and found a 2004 with 36000. The only problem is that I only received one remote from the dealer and would like to get another but from what I saw on line a new remote is going to set me back $60 to $80. And the Hundai dealer isn't any better. Anyone know where to get cheap remotes?
    Thanks a lot.
    New Jersey John
  • I replaced one of my wife's 2002 Elantra GT remotes last year. Although looked and found remotes on line, I notice a warning on the online sites that with some remotes, unlike some American cars, the service techincian might have to program it. I was told (fact or fiction) by the Hyundai dealership that that was true with theirs. Rather than risk getting the remote and then having to pay a high service fee, I got mine at the dealership. I believe it was about $90 and I think because I had some other work done, they gave me a break. If someone knows whether it can be programmed by yourself, I would be interested in knowing how.
    Looking at Elantra remotes on eBay (LOTS of them available), here is a note from one of the listings, for both 2001-3 and 2004 Elantra:

PROGRAMMING: You will receive, free of charge, programming instructions to make this work on your vehicle. Avoid the dealer fee of $50 or more and do it yourself. These instructions do require you to remove the front facia panel from your dash, this is where the radio is located. Keep in mind the instructions are free and if you feel you can not do the programming you may have to bring it to a dealer to have them program it.

So if this is correct, there is no special tool needed but it might take some work to program the remote.
  • Thank You very much. I guess I didn't see the one on ebay where instructions were included. I'll keep looking.
  • I have a 2003 Elantra GLS. I went for an oil change and they did the inspection for the recall. Control arms are OK but the subframe must be replaced. I'm trying to picture what that is - the frame under the engine?
    Here's a good description of what a "subframe" is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subframe
    edited March 2010
    My 2004 GT hatchback turns 6 on Tuesday. It has nearly 50k miles and still runs like new. Just got 38.5 mpg (automatic) on a cross-city jaunt this afternoon on urban freeways and city streets. (Light foot on the gas and keeping to speed limits works wonders!) It still looks like new from a bit of a distance, with glossy Rally Red paint, but there's a few small dings plus a few bumper scrapes on the alloys. Other than a small worn spot on the edge of the left seatback boster on the driver's seat (partly due to thousands of people sliding into the seat during its first career as an auto show car, I suspect), the interior looks like new. The leather, although obviously not top-quality hide, has at least held up well, except for that worn spot. Repair-wise, the major non-maintenance item I had to do was replace the rear brake pads and rotors about a year ago; the fronts are in good shape. Other than that and a few light bulbs and wiper blade refills, just regular maintenance (with free oil changes every 3750 miles from my dealer). At the rate I'm driving the car now, I won't need to do the big 60k service for nearly 2 years. My son will take the car to college this August, so it probably won't get a lot of miles for the next four years.

I checked on resale values the other day, and it looks like the current private party value is just under $7000. Interestingly, that's what it's been for the last year or so, holding steady as the price of used cars has shot up of late. So that means the depreciation on the car has been a little more than $1000 a year. Not bad at all. I've been looking around for another GT or even a GLS, since I'll need another car when my son goes off to school or even sooner depending on what kind of job he gets this summer. It's really hard to find good samples anywhere near me, in the Twin Cities, that are reasonably priced. I think the word has gotten out that the 2001-6 Elantra is a good choice for a used car. The GTs with ABS, like mine, are especially rare; GLSes with ABS are almost impossible to find.
  • Well the remote came in the mail today. The instruction that were included said: "This remote is not customer programmable. It must be taken to the dealer to be programmed." So I guess it's off to the dealer to try and negotiate with them. Thanks all for your efforts.
  • jayessjayess Posts: 59
    I have an '06 GLS with the ABS, TCS, MoonRoof pkg that my daughter uses for transportation at school in Ohio. ODO is currently at about 38K miles. Mainly shorter trips around town and 250 highway miles rountrip home twice a month or so. According to the carfax report when we purchased it a year ago w/26.3k miles it was put in serive - i.e. the warranty clock began - at the beginning of January 2006. Owners manual indicates the timing belt at 48 months/60K miles. Is it really worth changing the belt now or ok to wait a while so as to get closer to the mileage requirement ? Otherwise I've done all the regular maintenence - oil changes, rear pads, cut rotors and had the coolant flushed at 31.5K. Thanks.
    I wouldn't do it now if I were you, but I would change it at 60k if you intend to keep the car beyond that, just to keep the powertrain warranty in force. I have a 2004 GT with 50k miles,and I will get the belt changed at 60k (a bit less than 2 years from now I figure) just because I know I'll have the car for at least 10 years.

What you might do is ask the service manager at your Hyundai dealership about it. I did that when I bought my car, i.e. "Can I go by miles vs. time on maintenance?", and he said "Sure, no problem." Then document that discussion somehow, e.g. email to the service manager thanking him/her for his help and summarizing the conversation. ;)
  • I would wait to 60K if you have the warranty still. Your belt will be OK well past that time but it will put your mind at rest to stay to the schedule. I was shown the belt by the mechanic when I asked for it to be replaced at the recommended time and it hardly looked worn much at all. He said the belts are better made now and would probably be safe until 80K but the manufacturer goes with the 60K to stay on the safe side. Remember that they will probably replace your water pump at the same time, which is recommended as well since they have access when they do the belt job.
    Since we purchased the vehicle used, the powertrain warranty becomes the same as the original mfg 5 yr/60 so there's still nine months left on that. I may just hold off until the fall, closer to the warranty expiration. I can't imagine that there would be much more than 40k miles on the odo give or take so we should be ok. But running it by my dealer service guy - where I take it and our two Sonatas - sounds like a good idea. Thanks
  • Curious. How do you like your Sonata's? Wife wants to move up from Elantra GT to something a little bigger.
    We like them very much, have an 07 GLS w/02 pkg and an 08 GLS basic model both ATX. Not quite the mileage of an Elantra but 22-24 in the city, we're in W PA with hills and weather, right around 30 on the highway. Just keep track of the rear brakes, the pads can sometimes get caught up in the slides especially if you're in four season territiory - road salt that sort of thing. Otherwise they're most reaonable on upkeep but of course they're both still under warranty! The Sonata forum has some worthwhile posts and knowledgable folks give it a read.
    Check out the Elantra Touring... tons of cargo room, more leg room in back than the Sonata (at least that is my perception), yet still a nice size for parking etc.
  • jacktbjacktb Posts: 41
    Check the posts under discussion title "maintenance and repair' for timing belt info. I have done research and posted on this topic for a while now. --Jack
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    I really like my Touring SE. Like my '02 GLS and '05 GT, it isn't fast, but it is quick and very nimble.

One thing I have always like is the sound of that 2.0L from the drivers seat. Winding it up through the gears sounds more like a modified little racer engine that an economy engine. At 3K miles, I am averaging 31MPG in combined highway/city. And a 50/50 combination of that.
  • How does the Touring compare to the '05 GT? I have not had problems with our '02 GT and I like it because with the manual trans it is fun to drive and overall maintenance costs have been lower. Plus, it does get better milage than published. We have always driven manual trans but only the low end Sonata offers it. Looks like only VW offers extensive line with manual trans. Has the interior comfort of the Touring improved over the '05 GT? I am a bit frustrated the dealership doesn't keep more manual trans models around to try but I guess I understand. No one learns how to drive them. My daughter had a Corrolla with a stick and had to teach her husband to drive it. He had a 99 Celica GT which I contend would have been a lot more fun to drive if he had gotten a stick on it.....plus better milage.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    The seats are very comfortable, but leather is not offered. Good luck finding an SE with a stick. When I bought mine, there were 2 in Texas!

Compared to the '05 GT, the handling is crisper (more wheel, less tire) and since they now come with Kumho instead of Michelins, more road noise. The radio is better, the a/c is still outstanding.

One problem it does have to go in for right away, though, is that there is no throttle between idle and 2000rpm. As in you are either at idle or at 2000plus. With a stick in traffic this can be a real issue. I'm not too concerned though as the dealer here is excellent and has some very top-notch techs.
    Finally got my wife's '01 Elantra in for the control arm/subframe recall. The news is not good. The dealer called the car basically unsafe to drive. And parts are on back-order. So until parts come in we'll have a rental car paid for by Hyundai.
  • Hiya all,

Somewhat new here ... and really like the Hyundai Elantras ... but have only been approved from my credit union for $6,200.00. I need automatic transmission and air conditioning .... is that a reality?

Do you think I can find a car with fairly low mileage and in good mechanical shape, for that price, or should I look at something else?

Thanks so much
    Diana
    Depends on what you mean by "low mileage" and where you live. I just did a search within 100 miles of where I live (Twin Cities) and found only two 2001-6 Elantras with automatics for sale under $6000, each with over 100k miles. When I expanded the search to 500 miles, which includes WI, IA, and large cities like Chicago and Kansas City, there were 24 cars total, and 15 of them had under 100k miles--one had only 32k miles, another only 53k. So I'd say it's possible to find a car at your price, but it may not be easy. Also be prepared to jump immediately on a car if you find it... I've found through experience in recent months that cars of this kind go very fast.

Another car you might look for is the 2004.5+ Spectra, which was a new design for 2004.5 (yes, weird I know) and drives much like the Elantra, and in fact has the same engine as the Elantra. I found a couple low-mileage Spectras (a 2005 and a 2006) within 500 miles of me when I did a search just now; one was a 2006 EX with only 35k miles.
    Parts still back-ordered ..
  • dria24dria24 Posts: 32
    what do just call the dealer and set up appts, and tts is paid by Hyundai?
    thanks
    where do a get a list of recalls and techinical problems
    what do i have to do to get on the Recall list with the Hyundai dealrers, do I call anyone or is there a specific number to call. thanks