Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    Sorry for the off topic but a week ago I experience a blowout on Route 80 near exit 64. That road is a stinking pot marked surface. Anyway, the blowout was not in my Elantra but was scary nonetheless. The tire mentioned 44 psi as the max. I normally inflated my tires to 35psi. I thought the blowout may have been caused by underinflation? Is that possible? There may have been a slow leak on that tire.
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    don't be inflating your tire to 44psi-- look on the inside panel of the driver side door... i think the recommended psi is there....44 seems way too high, rough rider

i can't put a title to my posts..am i alone? nuts?
  • Options
    moledad125moledad125 Member Posts: 14
    Can't put title.. Don't know why! JYK1981 regarding post #892: My idle problem was not at start-up when cold as yours is. Mine starts up when cold and idles at about 1200-1500rpm's. It quickly warms up and then idles normally at about 500-700rpm's. My idle problem was intermittent and always occurred when the engine was warm. You still might want to have your throttle body checked anyway...can't hurt. 2000rpm's at start-up seems a little high to me. Could you please elaborate on your experience with the K&N air filter? I just ordered mine and am looking forward to some improved performance (not that it's really needed)and an increase in gas mileage. Thanks Al
  • Options
    tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    Hey moledad125,

What was the K&N part number you got and where did ya get it from? How much too?

Tony
  • Options
    tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    To Bri70:

The inner door sticker will provide you with the proper inflation pressure. In addition be sure to check the pressuyre about once a month or every 1000 miles whichever comes first. Also getting the car aligned will go a verrrrry long way to keeping the tires evenly. Last but certainly not least keep the tires rotated and balanced. This shoudl be doen about every 6ooo miles or every other oil change. Any chain sore like sears auto center are good places to get your alignments doen and to balance/rotate your tires. Sears also offers a lifetime balance on your tires so you dont have to pay for it each time.

Kyle
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I do look at the side panel but I thought those recommendations were for the OEM tires. These tires did not come with the car. That is why I used 35 psi (the max listed on the tire is 44). Is that a wrong assumption?

I went to the New York Auto Show this past Saturday. Very crowded, some may want to wait for a weeknight. The Hyundai display was in the truck and SUV floor. Many people were entering and commenting on the the vehicles. I did not hear one negative comment. The hatchback was somewhat of a disappointment. I don't think they were showing the GT. The LZ looked better in person than I thought it would and Hyundai's concept roadster was very nice.
  • Options
    jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    Since tire pressure has been a recent topic of discussion, thought I should mention this...

The 2001 Elantra's recommended tire pressure for the Michelin's is 30 psi. Because I've heard that dealers often times don't check the tire pressure before giving it to you, I thought it'd be a good idea to check them. All the tires were at 47 psi! I deflated them to about 34.

JK
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Bri70,
    The tire inflation recommendation on the door is for the vehicle not the OEM tires! That inflation is what is recommended to insure the car will handle how it was designed too no matter what tires you put on it. Follow that recommendation always, unless you want to up the pressure a few psi to improve fuel economy and steering response. The max tire pressure noted on the tire is simply the max pressure the tire can handle without blowing out.
  • Options
    elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    Bri70 and anyone else who went to the auto show...

Im going to the NY auto show on Thursday. Any special attractions I should make sure that I go see while Im there? Thanks
  • Options
    erinsdaderinsdad Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to deviate from the currect topic of discussion, but...

Have a 20-year-old daughter who is graduating from Berkeley this June but who is just now learning how to drive. Wanted to provide her with a reliable, inexpensive car as it will surely be dinged to death in school parking lots when she transfers to a local school in Los Angeles for graduate work. Also wanted her to have the exhilirating experience of owning a new car. Considered the Civic (#1 with Consumer Reports but lots of problems posted on Edmunds regarding revamped product, plus 1.7 liter-max engine), Focus (#1 with CR if reliability history is ignored), Sentra (butt-ugly butt), Protege (just a smidge above the Elantra according to CR), so have settled on Elantra due to cuteness factor/value/warranty. Would wait for the 5-door hatch in order to get leather interior/greater practicality, but rear end's less appealing. My daughter's not really "into" cars, so has no preference, one way or the other. Anyway, have decided to purchase the vehicle online at invoice minus $500 rebate via Carsdirect, but would like to get some feedback from LA posters as to individual dealer experiences. We live in Glendale so the Monrovia and LA dealers are each about ten miles from home, but wouldn't mind travelling farther to get better warranty repairs should they become necessary. Thanks...and I hope I'll have nothing but positive comments to post when I place my order/receive my car next month (we're planning to go with the automatic---she's tried her boyfriend's stickshift Honda and doesn't want the hassle in LA traffic---with the ABS package).
  • Options
    ozsonataozsonata Member Posts: 2
    A while ago I checked out the new Elantra at the Sydney Motor Show and I was quite impressed by the new model (I was never a fan of the previous model), especially since it feels much more solid (the new Accent has also improved in this regard). I really like the 5 door hatch that we can get here in Australis. However my attention has been drawn to the new model Sonata, so I'm in a bit of a quandry as to which way to go. I guess I'll have to work it out for myself once the new Sonata is released here.
  • Options
    Tonykrapil re: post# 902. Tony go to this web site, www.performanceintl.com navigate through it in the K&N section and you'll find what your looking for. I was told the filter from the 2000 Tiburon will fit the 01 Elantra, so I'm taking them at their word and I ordered it and the maintenance kit too. The filter was about $37 and the kit was another $9. There are also shipping charges. If you look at the 2000 Tiburon and Elantra you'll see they use the same filter. Let me know how you make out. Al
  • Options
    I have been following all the talk on the I&N however what has me concerned is the right filter #. I know about the supposed fit of the one from a bib but the guy at the performance shop gave me the measurements and they seem off by about .75 of an inch...... I dread shipping one back and also buying one without either seeing it first and comparing it to old one. Wife has beaten me to a pulp with the shipping cost to return a wrong or defective item... this is my concern.
    So know you all know what I am afraid of!

Cay,
    Tony
  • Options
    K & N filter for the 2000 Tiburon fits the 2000 Elantra. I have it. works fine. no problems. for 2001, i am not sure. hope this helps some people
  • Options
    ramadaramada Member Posts: 27
    Hi,

I'm looking for information on the new model. I even checked out http://www.santafeforum.com And am waiting for a reply. Any one here know?

• Options
    liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    wat new model? the GT?
  • Options
    BUT, I and others have an 01 Elantra and my dealer looked it up and said they are different between the 00 and the 01, BUT did confirm that the 00 tib and 00 elantra are the same.

We are getting closer!

Tony
  • Options
    I wish I could point out something special at the auto show. Nothing really stood out for me. Maybe it was because of the crowd but I felt rushed with the company I was with.

The 2002 Q45 was very impressive. Nissan also had an concept vehicle (whose name I forgot) that was nice. Lincoln's MK9 was interesting. And I was impressed with the interior quality of the Toyota Corolla. IMHO opinion the switch gear was better than the Elantra's. Cadillac had their new pickup truck(?!)

Hyundai's LZ still reminds me of an early 90's Lexus but the paint used was excellent. I imagine Thursday would be a good time to go.
  • Options
    Has anyone had any feedback from a Hyundai dealer as to how many more months the $500 rebate will be extended? (Don't need a car until June so didn't want to purchase one now just to have it sit in the garage.) Does anyone know if factory orders can still be placed for 2001 Elantras, or must one choose from what's available from local dealers or via dealer-to-dealer trades? Has anyone had experience comparing purchasing a vehicle from Carsdirect.com (where the final tab is provided, except for tax and license) versus an online auto broker such as auto-brokers.com? Thanx for any feedback.
  • Options
    hopefully I will be able to get down there tomorrow afternoon. Too much stuff to do...If I leave at 3pm, hopefully I'll make it into the city by 5pm w/ traffic and have about 5 hrs to look around. That should do it. I have a whole bunch of cars to check out. The new honda civic, hyundai santa fe, BMW 330i, Lexus IS300, Volkswagen Golf GTI, VW Jetta, VW Passat...Just to name a few! :) I can go on forever!
  • Options
    That $500 rebate has been going on for as long as i can remember. I wouldnt worry about it too much, erinsdad. If worse comes to worse, call the dealer. I'm sure how long it goes on will vary between dealer to dealer
  • Options
    Elantra00, thanx for the feedback. I actually called one of the dealerships in Los Angeles and tried to find out about ordering a vehicle with ABS, as I was sure I'd have the same difficulty Consumer Reports had in locating one, and the evening salesguy kept on urging me to come on down as he was sure he could locate what I wanted. I didn't want to get involved in some wild goose chase---especially as I'm planning to avoid "dealer hassle" by ordering from carsdirect.com or an online broker---so I discontinued the conversation before broaching the subject of the rebate. Like you, I feel that the rebate will be continued for the foreseeable future, for two reasons: (1) Hyundai needs to establish a greater market share by taking away some of the business from Honda and Toyoto, et.al., and (2) Hyundai will have greater need to promote interest in the GLS once the 5-door hatchback is put on the market. I think that this rebate will continue to be uniform among dealers as it is a factory-to-customer discount, not a dealer-mediated one. I'm still curious about placing a custom order from the factory; it would seem that the vast majority of posters have taken what's been on the lot or been traded for with another dealer. Perhaps I'll try once more to get this info from a dealer in that I might have better luck with a phone call during the prime daytime business hours. BTW, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that my daughter will be as satisfied with the dependibility/reliability of this vehicle as I have been for the past 8+ years with my '93 Mercury Grand Marquis (best car I've ever owned, after driving nothing but Hondas---including two of the Honda 600 2-cylinder vehicles, one a coupe, the other a sedan---the previous 20 years). I'm truly excited about joining the Hyundai crusade...and am thinking seriously of replacing my Marquis in another year or two (it has 125,000 miles on it) with the next generation Sonata that appears to be on the horizon for the 2002 auto year.
  • Options
    velarpinchvelarpinch Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone with a package #4 noticed rattling coming from somewhere between the sunroof and the sunroof controls?
  • Options
    tarfintarfin Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

In looking at option packages on the Hyundai website, it appears that an Elantra can be had with ABS/traction control OR a sunroof. Is this correct, or have I misread?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    formula94formula94 Member Posts: 22
    I have not noticed that problem, nor has my wife.
  • Options
    bobcook54bobcook54 Member Posts: 79
    Hyundai rebates run from month to month. The $500.00 rebate on the Elantras have been renewed each month since about October, so I too wouldn't worry about loosing it. By the way,the rebates are nationwide and don't vary from dealer to dealer. Bob
  • Options
    jcaccjcacc Member Posts: 10
    No problem with my moonroof, either--in fact, I'm at 2,500 miles and no rattles anywhere.
  • Options
    Correct- ABS and traction control OR sunroof.
  • Options
    stahlynsstahlyns Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I've been the satisfied owner of a '92 Elantra. Followed all the recommended maintenance/repairs, oil changes every 3-4,000 miles, garaged each night, only driving back and forth to work each day (28 miles round trip), etc. Had the timing chain replaced as part of the 50-60,000 mile recommended maintenance and yesterday while driving to work the car died. Had it towed to the garage and they tell me the timing chain was literally chewed up. They also tell me that the Mitchell Repair Guide had issued a tech bulletin about having the chain checked every 7,500 miles. Anyone out there familiar with this? Anyone out there have similar problems? Thanks.
    Nancy
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi folks,

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. To keep from confusing our newer members down the road, we are going through the discussion list bit by bit and dropping the "part" numbers associated with some of our extended discussions.

Since this will be the permanent home for discussion of the Elantra, I have removed the "2" from the title of this discussion and altered the name of the archived version to distinguish it from this one.

Please continue....

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    How many miles are on the car now? When you had the timing belt replaced, did they also replace the timing belt tensioner pulley? That pully should be replaced along with the belt. Reason being that if that pulley's bearing freezes, it will shred the belt to pieces. This happened to my VW Rabbit. They replaced the belt and not the pulley. The pulley froze and shredded the belt till it snapped. Luckily, my engine is a non-interference design so no engine damage occured. I would say that is what happened to you. There was also a technical service bulletin about the timing belt on 92-94 Elantras. I believe they are known for timing belt problems. If they indeed did not replace the pulley, they may be at fault for your engine damage. Look into it.
  • Options
    lngtonge18 is right on target...

That is probably what happened. The pre-1995 Elantras had a timing belt problem. If not promptly changed at around 50,000 miles, you run a great risk of it snapping on you. however, you say that you had it changed so you are not a fault here. I suspect that it was a Friday night and the Hyundai mechanic was pulling a Ford manuever by doing the job halfed assed; doing half the job, so it seems ok now but you are doomed to bring it back in ;) Well, Im glad you were a satisfied owner of a 1992 Elantra. How many miles on it?
  • Options
    mct3mct3 Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading this page for 6months and I finally brought one. It is great and I got it $12,000.00. I was very impressed with the car. I had a carry. Now I will see if will hold up.

M
  • Options
    Maybe I am a on-trusting soul when it comes to dealers, has anyone considered that the belt wasnt even changed by the dealer? Ya never know, thats why I watch em as much as I can. I also want the old parts meaning belt etc that have been removed by not simply cutting them out. After all they are your parts.

Tony
  • Options
    Thank, you, Pat. And thank you for the all the responses. This is a little upsetting as I had planned to get a few more years out of the car. Here's a little more info: The belt was changed by my local garage (not the dealer) in May 1998 at 51,893 miles (recommended to be changed at the 60,000 mile servicing). The current mileage is 76,700. I have as little to do with the dealiership as possible because I find them extremely unhelpful (however, the actual service people are terrific and go out of their way to help when I call. The one time I called because the radiator went and he told me how much it would cost there and that it would be at least 2 weeks before they could schedule it and recommended a place in a nearby town. I called his recommendation and the owner said "bring it right in" and also drove me back to work and it was fixed that day). I now have a copy of the Michell Repair Info tech bulletin and it's dated Aug of 92 (which is when I bought the car). In January of 1999 my water pump went and I had that replaced at the garage where I broke down. Then I had a rough idle and took it to the dealer to check it out and they said the timing specs were out of whack and adjusted it. Plus it was inspected there later that year and they've had it a few times since then (free inspection for the life of the car is part o the purchase deal). I don't think I'm going to get any satisfaction from the dealer or Hyundai on this one. I just came from purchasing a new Chevy Cavalier which I'll pick up Wednesday. No more foreign cars for me. They definitely are cheaper and they're look nice but I think the reason they offer such wonderful warranties is because something not covered by the warranty will probably kill it so they don't have to pay out on what's covered by the warranty. I'll keep you posted on what I find out as I pursue this. Thanks.
  • Options
    Help me understand. I know the belt broke, but what else? This can and will happen no matter who changes the belt.

Cant you just get it replaced and running again? Sounds like you took good care of the car.

I have to say the timing belt is what bothers me most of the car, but what can ya do, very many cars have this today for noise and weight reduction. Chains do indeed break too and the gears wear out.

Would it not have been less expensive to simply replace the belt again? I will go back and re-read your posts.

Good luck with new car.

Tony
  • Options
    Hi Tony,
    I should've said that my local garage said that the chain was chewed up, one cylinder is gone, something about the compression, and other stuff that I don't understand. They do not want to put another engine in because it's an extremely expensive item and they feel that whatever the problem is that made Hyundai issue the bulletin to have the belt checked at 7500 mile intervals (not sure that this is common for other cars), may happen again with the next engine. I'm not comfortable driving a car that just dies while you're driving since my drive to and from work is 95% major highway where average speed is 75-80 mph and lots of trucks. I like to keep my cars for 12-15 years and get my money's worth and then some. I've never owned anything but a Chevy ('67 Malibu and '79 Monte which at about 112,000 I had a Corvette engine put in it and I believe it's still running) so I'm going back to them for security reasons.
    Nanc
  • Options
    avante26avante26 Member Posts: 1
    Have a look at:

http://www.hyundai-owners.com/OS_lee.html

and pop out your opinions :o)

• Options
    joehyundai1joehyundai1 Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone had any problems with the doors not closing correctly?
  • Options
    velarpinchvelarpinch Member Posts: 3
    Can you be more specific? My doors require a little more strength than normal to close when no other doors or windows are open, which suggests that the cabin is pretty airtight -- not that there's a problem with the doors.
  • Options
    the K&N . Does it fit? What number was it?

Tony
  • Options
    jimbodriver1jimbodriver1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Hyundai Elantra 2001 a week ago. I really wasn't that hip about Hyundai's since I have had personal problems with older models but my wife said for the price we should give it a test. Well, I did and I thought it drove real smooth so I threw my prejudices aside and bought one. When I left the dealership I noticed almost right away a vibration that I did not notice when I test-drove the dealership's model. So I brought it back and a day later got it back with the explanation that the left rim was elongated. They said it was the manufacturers mistake and that they had replaced it and balanced the tires. I said "oooo.kkkk." and drove it home. Now this is where my problem lies. I still feel a slight vibration when I drive it. Not as bad as before but I could swear I did not feel it on the test drive model(which by the way, I did drive all over to make sure I liked the car). Is this slight vibration normal and maybe I didn't notice it when I test-drove the dealerships model or does this sound like this is still not normal. I don't feel like bringing the car back again if this slight vibration is just how the Hyundai's drive. PPPPPllllease give me some feedback. The car by the way is a automatic as was the test drive model.
  • Options
    where do you feel the vibration coming from? steering wheel? Expand on it and maybe some of us can help
  • Options
    Dont take this the wrong way, please. When buying a new car, please test drive the car that you choose to own based on features or color etc NOT the demo model.

In my new car buying experiences, all of the cars are and have been available for test drive.

Sorry this tidbit is too late for you, however maybe it can help someone else.

As for the vibration, give it a week of driving or so. It could be anything. I had a similar experience about a month after getting mine, it was the rear brake drums needed to be trued up some. So far, the problem hasnt returned.

Good luck with the problem.\

Tony
  • Options
    Tony, now I know why they call it "SNAIL" mail. Was supposedly shipped on 4/20 via priority mail. As of 4/25 still waiting. When I get it I'll let you know how I make out. Al
  • Options
    Hello all.

I've had my white 2001 5-speed Elantra for about three weeks now and am really enjoying it. Once I'm very familiar with the car I'll post about my specific likes and dislikes.

Is this unusual? When the car is cold and hasn't been driven for several hours, I notice a pinging sound coming from the engine. This seems to occur only in the lower gears and between 2-3000 RPMs, slowing disappearing as the vehicle warms up. It gets louder and quicker the higher the engine revs (big surprise!) and doesn't bother me all that much... heck, I don't expect the car to be perfect. Still, I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing this. Am I alone? Should I maybe bring it in? Could it be the 87 octane gas (which isn't a cheap brand)?

Thanks,
    JEFF
  • Options
    jimbodriver1jimbodriver1 Member Posts: 2
    Elantra00,

The vibration is in the streering wheel,the gas pedal, and basically in the whole feel of the car. My wife, the passenger, feels it too in her seat.
  • Options
    Chances are your brakes may need adjustment. they could be rubbing a bit against the rotor making a slight vibration. If long enough doing that and with hard braking, you could create a hot spot on the rotor. then the steering wheel/pedals and car itself generally would tend to vibrate...

Tires may need to be balanced is another.

My last guess would be to check your tire pressure. low air in your tires can make a loud thumping noise and cause a slight vibration

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    darpin1darpin1 Member Posts: 49
    I had a similar problem that turned out to be one rim that was particularly out of round. This all started after I changed the tires to Michelin x-ones. After several balances the vibration a couple rotations etc...nothing changed. When this particular rim was in the rear you would feel it in the seat...moved to the front the steering... note all rims are not perfect and neither are tires. There is usually a colored dot on the rim (marking the high point of the rim) and a dot on the tire (marks the low point on the tire) at the manufacturer they line these two dots up. However alot of Tech's don't know this...so they keep balancing and the car is never like it was because they missed this or they don't have the right equipment...In my case the rim was replaced after many times trying to diagnose the problem. Was it the tire? The rim out of round? Very frustrating I know. But now my car is super smooth with no vibration.
  • Options
    tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    Now all I have for this is circumstantial evidence, but I think that the next car that Edmunds is going to obtain for its long term fleet may be a Hyundai Elantra. How do I know this? Well, I don't *know* anything, but I read the article Winning Women Over in the Car-Buying Process and it indicates that they are going to buy a car for Edmunds' long-term fleet, and then later in the article, the author is quoted saying that they are shopping for an Elantra. I have no guarantee that they really are going to buy the Elantra, but I thought it was interesting enough to post.

Tom the Gossip ;)