Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• doohickiedoohickie Posts: 949
    My understanding is that the remote has its code hardwired into it, and the "programming" that is done is on the car side- the ETACS- which stores the code for that remote as a "good one" that the car should respond to. So I bet it is not necessary to reprogram it after replacing the battery. If you do need to program it though, here are a couple links for how to reprogram a 2001-03 Elantra key fob:

Original version (text only)

New version with pictures
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Posts: 43
    Thanks, all your guys.

I inserted a new CR2032 batter and it totally works.

Now, I have another question about brakes. My 02 GT is on the orginal brakes with almost 50,000 miles. I feel it is probably time to change the pads, but I am not sure which is the best option, going back to dealer or a local shop.

I think I can get OEM or original Hyundai parts online and ask local mechanic to install, but does anybody have such experience and how do you like it. Or, I can just lay back and ask dealer to replace them, but I will have to go 60-mile round trip and pay more. So, which way makes more sense based on your experience?

Thanks in advance.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    Are you thinking about changing pads because the car has 50,000 miles on it, or because the pads are worn to the point of needing replacement? I am not trying to be a smart-aleck, but the reason I ask is that when my '01 Elantra had 45,000 miles on it, I had the brakes checked (my sister was buying it and wanted good brakes), and there was still lots of life left on both the front and rear brakes. So just because it's got 50k miles on it doesn't necessarily mean it needs new pads.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    our 05 gt has the original brakes and it has almost 60,000 miles. We recently had the car in for service and were told the brakes still have plenty of life left. we do mostly highway driving.
    From what I've heard, the brakes are pretty normal to change out. On the rear discs, the rear discs a special tool is needed to retract the piston, but a lot of other cars use something similar. I would think a local shop could do it.

I think Elantra brakes fall into to camps: For a lot of people they wear evenly and long. For some, they get out of alignment and wear out prematurely. They have that ugly sounding scrape strip, though, so you should know when the brakes need replacing; they'll sound awful!

As for what kind of brakes, I have no clue. On another forum I know that people like to use aftermarket brake pads as an upgrade but I can't remember what they are....
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    Oddly enough, on my '05 GT, the rear brakes were down to 20% at 20K. I replaced them with aftermarkets (still organic)and with 24K they still look good. The fronts are the originals with a total of 44K, and they still look to be about 50%.

On the other hand, my '02 GLS would go through a set of front pads every 20K.

Strange. :confuse:
  • nihao4587nihao4587 Posts: 43
    Once again, thanks everyone for your quick responses.

IIRC, my front and rear pads still had 70% and 50% left when I did my 30K service at the dealer. At this moment, I hear the high-pitch brake sounds every morning after I drive out of garage. The noise may last for about 1 or 2 miles and then just go away.

Since I normally don't open windows during driving, I am not so sure if the noise really fades out after the initial driving. I will roll down the window and hear carefully next time I am on the road.

If any of you guys have replaces the brake pads, will you mind giving me an idea on how much I am look at if I replace all four pads at once, dealer or local?

Really appreciate your help. Have a great day.

min
  • keyser2keyser2 Posts: 25
    My wife had a head-on collision in her 2000 Elantra. The air bags did not deploy. What's up with that? Does anyone keep statistics on that?
    First off, I hope she is okay. Second, at what speed did the accident occur, and third, have you owned the car since new?

If she was traveling fast enough to do serious damage to the car, and you know the history of the car (never been wrecked to deploy bags before) then yes, NHTSA will want to investigate. These are the guys who can initiate a recall for safety issues when the manufacturer doesn't want to. They have the authority over all vehicles sold in the US.
    there are no airbag related recalls on the 2000 Elantra. In fact, there is only one safety recall, and that is associated with the MAP sensor on the engine. Could cause the engine to stall.

While there are some complaints listed over the past few years, none has warranted an investigation. If you go to the NHTSA.gov web site and review the complaints, be aware that not all detail is given, and in some cases the airbags should NOT have deployed, ie "hit a deer".
  • keyser2keyser2 Posts: 25
    Thanks, she is OK. It was a head-on collision occuring at an intersection. The entire front end was folded in, and the impact was great enough to total the vehicle and cause the drivers side front door to remain sprung. I would think that would be enough to deploy the drivers side airbag at least.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    Yes, it would seem so, although it would not take much damage at all to total a 2000 Elantra. Edmunds' TMV for a private party sale of a 2000 Elantra sedan is about $3000. My insurance company will total a car if the damage is more than 70% of its market value, or in this case a bit over $2000.

Front airbags are designed to deploy in moderate to severe frontal collisions at speeds of about 10-15 mph into a fixed object or about 20-30 mph into a similar sized vehicle. So if the collision speed in your wife's case was around 20 mph, the airbags could have been working as designed yet there would have been significant damage to her car. Consider how much damage even a 5 mph frontal impact can cause to a car.
  • anil111anil111 Posts: 5
    How can one be sure that compressor of A/C is on when turned on? I know there are atleast 3 things has to happen. Cycling switch, low cutoff switch and the clutch all have to work. But on ellantra a/c is way underand can not c anything. In past when it worked I could here noise, vibrations etc. when the compressor was on. Also lost about 5 MPG in gas when A/C was used.

If the compressor is not on and switches are bad , is there a way to bypass or jump the switches and make comressor run?

thanks for ur replies.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    when my daughter totaled her 02 elantra in 04 her air bags DID NOT DEPLOY. she was driving way too fast and failed to negotiate a sharp curve hitting a large tree head-on. she told me her brakes failed but the skid marks were l50 ft. she later admitted she was running late. She was going to college and was in a hurry to get to her job. I was just happy she was ok especially after looking at her car.
  • bern4bern4 Posts: 3
    i have a warranty question and I am hope that I am in the right forum. I have a 2003 elantra. great car with 45000 miles on it never had an issue. Now, my seat belts are not rolling up and because of that the seatbealt got stuck in the door and cut out a peace of weaher stripping. The dealer ship will replace the seat belt under warranty and not the weather stripping. I called hundai and they told me that this is a 12/12000 warranty item. I told them that the seat belt caused that problem but they are not willing to replace the stripping. It is disapointing that if you have a problem it is not taking care of. Anyone had a simular issue. Thanks
  • 1racefan1racefan Posts: 932
    I know there was some discussion earlier as to how long brakes are lasting...

My '02 (automatic) has front discs, rear drums. We got 35,000 out of the first set of front pads, and 33,000 out of the second set of front pads. When they replaced the second set of front pads (at 68,000 miles), they replaced the rear brakes as well, because the rear wheel cylinders were leaking, and I told them to go ahead and do a full rear brake job while they were in there.

Well now, I am on my third set of front brakes (again, they were installed at 68,000 miles), and the car has 91,000 miles (so they have 23,000 miles on them). My mechanic has a pad thickness guage he uses, and when I got my oil changed and tires rotated yesterday, my front pads still show 90% life left...which means I have only used up 10% of the pads over the last 23,000 miles.

This is odd considering my driving habits really haven't changed...if anything, stop and go traffic has gotten worse over the period I have owned the car (as far as I know, the same brand pads have been used since new).
  • satswacsatswac Posts: 4
    If your driving environment has you doing more stop and go, that's a good probable cause, but now you say you got 23K mi with only 10% wear? That's really weird.
    My 04 Elantra has 50,500 miles on it and I'm still on all original. I travel 84 miles round trip to work and back. Only five lights and I'll cruise at 60 mph all the way, but even back in the days when I lived in NJ (now VA.)and had one of the worse, long commutes in the world, I never had to change brakes as often as you have. You can typically get better after market pads and shoes from NAPA, Advance Auto Parts or other major part stores than what a dealer will give you (so-call original parts) which is not always better, but certainly more exspensive. Look into Midas or one of those other chain repair stores that offer lifetime on the pads and shoes.
    Reveiw your driving habits. Reduce hard braking, don't tailgate, slow down grdually. I hope you're not one of those left-footed brakers who keeps their left foot on the brake peddal, right foot onth accelerator and consequently drives with the brake lights on ALL THE TIME.
    Besides this forum, I post to several other Hyundai forums on the net; one is ElantraXD.com. If you're a member there, please go to this thread:

ElantraXD July Car Of The Month voting

And vote for my car as the ElantraXD July COTM. If you're not already a member, just sign up and vote anyway. ;-)

I didn't think I had a chance; there are some great cars up this month. I'm not a tuner who tries to get every last bit of power from the engine; many of my mods are aimed at improving ride & handling as well as comfort, convenience and style. I think my car is a great example of an Elantra-lover's Elantra.

Through word of mouth I seem to be holding my own, and could even win this thing with a little help.

So please do your part! I really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Paul H.
    aka Doohickie
  • rguedelrguedel Posts: 11
    Hi all,

I have a '04 Elantra with 38K on it

The cover for my mirror visor just broke off on it's own. Would this be covered under warranty? Or would that have expired at the 36K warranty?

Thanks for your advice.
    Probably will have a lot to do with your dealer. If it were me, I would take the car (and broken piece) to the dealer and just pleasantly ask if it were covered under the 5yr/60k warranty. A good dealer would replace it, even if it weren't under warranty.

Just as a bad service reputation can kill business, good word of mouth is priceless.