Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    I don't know what temps you experience in the winter where you are, but an Elantra shouldn't use 10W40. Obviously, with the miles you have it didn't hurt it, but unless your winters are extremely mild (like nothing below 50F) that is too much of a spread. Where I am the winters can get as cold as upper 20's, the summers over 100F and we run 10W30 Castrol GTX year round.
  • I live in Nyc and the winter ranges in temp from 15 degree to 60 degrees. So I should 10W30 from now on correct? Pls repond
    You might check your owners manual, I think for temps that low they may go with 5W20, though on the rare occasions my Elantras saw temps that low, I had no problems with 10W30. Did I read that correctly that you have 167K miles on your Elantra? Wow, that's pretty good! What brand of oil have you been using?

If you lived in an area where the temps were consistently in the teens and twentys I would definitely go with 5W20.
  • dria24dria24 Posts: 32
    Are you saying that this is the heaviest oil I should use since I live in the NYC area and the temperature does get cold? Also , since I can hear a little sound in the engine area I want to put a heavy oil for the winter. I dont have a manual. Yes the miles is 167K and still going good. please reply ASAP for directions.
    thanks
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    I think most manufacturers used to recommend a lighter oil for winter driving, and a heavier oil in the summer.
    So do you suggest the 5W20 for the winter months, is a lighter oil? Please reply asap thanks
    Yes, lighter oil, 5W20, in cold weather, 5W20 would be good. Heavier oils do not flow as well when the engine is cold, causing additional wear.
  • My 2002 elantra has 226,000km I'm having problems with my car chugging when I am stopped at a light. When in park it races. I was wondering if it's the gas i'm using because it started after getting gas awhile back. Also does anyone know how long i can expect this car to keep going. should i put any money into it.
    I would use 89 octane gas, I have elantra 2001 and its at 170,000km. make sure you change the oil every 3,000 miles, its good to hear that it can go that long, I was worry about the longivity of this car. Does anyone have one that has gone longer??
  • Check for a cracked PVC hose. If it is cracked you will hear it hissing as soon as
    you open the hood. It will cause high rpms in park and erratic operation of engine.
  • Today is the day -- my little Betsy just rolled 100,000 miles! Woo hoo!! So no more warranty of any kind, but I'm not worried. This car has done very well by me. I had intended to run it to 200,000 miles, but at this rate it will be another 8 years, and I'm not sure I can wait that long for my next new car.

2001 GLS 5-speed
    :D ">
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    Congrats! I hope you treated her to a wash/wax, maybe even a complete detailing. :)

My old 2001 5-speed, now with my sister, is at about 70k and still going strong. My 2004 GT AT hatch is at about 48k and still runs like new, and looks like new except for a few small dings. Someone asked my wife the other day, when she had it, when she got the "new car". I'll be able to use the full powertrain warranty on that car, but it looks like it will have only about 75k on it at 10 years--when my middle son is nearly done with college.
  • What is likely to cause a P0440 code on check engine light? This is supposed to be ( Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction ).
  • I don't know what that code is...but I do know that my check engine light always went on if I didn't close my gas cap enough, apparenly air sets in, and the sensor goes off...we are supposed to turn it 5-6 times, they say. I finally got sick of going to them to shut if off, that I had them disconnect the sensor for that issue.

Currently my check engine light is on again, for some emission, but my garage man told that it was very minimal, when he checked it out with his machine. So, he shut the signal off, only to have it come back on a couple of days later. This is not going to help when I have my car inspected next June, so whatever it is will have to be repaired by then
  • I am looking to buy a reliable daily driver and a colleague at work is selling a 2004 Hyundai Elantra with 102,000 miles on it for $4100.

It is a 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission. Features include: power windows, power locks, AC, keyless entry, alarm, AM/FM cassette player, cruise control, alarm, front and side airbags and ABS.

The miles seem kind of high for a 2004 car and is what concerns me the most. I have looked at the pictures of the car and it looks like a clean car without any obvious defects. I just want a economical and reliable daily driver that I can drive for a few years without having to spend too much money on repairs. I've never had a Hyundai before and I'm not familiar with their reliability.

I checked the KBB and the TMV value for the car and it is around $3700 (private party) for the car. How much lower than the blue book value should I make the offer? Do the blue book values even mean anything?

Is this car a good deal?

Thanks!
  • I have a 02 hyundai and it runs great, hyundais are definitely good cars. that price does seem kind of high though, I get the vin number and check it on car fax before you do anything else. you need to make an account and pay a certian amount.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    Check to see what has already been replaced on it, e.g. brakes, struts, battery, exhaust system, belts, hoses, and ESPECIALLY timing belt (should have been replaced at least once). Also look for a history of regular oil changes.

On a car with over 100k miles, if a part is original, it can go at any time.
    Don't just use KBB, check Edmunds and NADA, too. Also, check your local market on Autotrader and cars.com to get comparables.

Most importantly, with those miles you need to see maintenance receipts. Lots and lots of maintenance receipts.

Regarding the cars themselves, yes, they are good cars. But 100K miles is only good if the car has been well taken car of.
  • My 2001 Elantra recently rolled 100K miles, and I would definitely buy another Hyundai. As far as the used model you are considering, in general it sounds like a safe bet and I would listen to all the caveats the others are telling you, especially when it comes to maintenance records. Keep in mind that Carfax can still let damaged vehicles pass, so use all of the tools you can. Maintenance really is the key.

If you check the history of my 2001 in Consumer Reports, you see that owners have had trouble with cooling and other areas that I have not. I try to baby my car and it helps. If you know the owner of the 2004 you are considering babies his/her car and shows proof, then it's worth a shot. The history of 2004 Elantras in the Consumer Report survey is quite favorable. My car is older but with similar miles and I would not hesitate to sell it to someone I know, because it will last.

Good luck and let us know of your decision.
    One of the problems Jim mentioned regarding cooling was attributed to premature and total thermostat failure. A very cheap preventative maintenance item, and probably not a bad idea. If that fails with this engine, you have very, very little time to shut it down before expensive damage occurs.