Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• ken126ken126 Posts: 39
    That doesnt sound to good to be revving at 3400 doing 65 mph. No wonder the gas mileage is not as good as it should be. My prizm revs at 2100 doing 65 mph, which is a pretty big difference. Even so, when the hatchback hits the US, I'm buying.......
  • I used the link in #558 and looked at the article too. I very recently drove an '01 with automatic and took note of the engine speed at 65 mph; it was in the low 2300 rpm range. It doesn't make any sense what so ever that the manual would require another 1000 rpm to maintain the same speed. I am no engineer, but if the motor is turning 30% faster to maintain the same speed, wouldn't it by default be getting at least 30% less gas mileage? Yet, I believe the automatic and the 5 speed get the same highway mileage rating. If you look at Jedlicka's ( the fellow from MSN Carpoints) article on the new Mazda Protege', which is posted with the article on the Elantra, it has almost the identical set of notes (except it says 3400 at 70 mph). My theory is either the poor slob working for Jedlicka typed it wrong, or old Jedlicka got his files mixed up. That's my story and I am sticking to it!
  • Some of these reviews the guys make typos...
    I have a 5 spd 2001 Elantra: 2400-2500 rpms at 100 kph (metric) or 62 mph...My Chrysler Concorde with a 2.7 V-6 at the same speed 2100 rpms.

At a little over 140 kph or 85+ mph about 3200 rpm approx. at that speed I'm busy driving and not staring at the gauges.

This (in my opinion) is one of the smoothest 4-cylinders on the market...

Makes you wonder how accurate the rest of that persons review is whether he ever drove the car or just his keyboard...I'd rate him 1 out 10 since it's this guys job to know what he is talking about maybe his hard-drive is turning over at 3400 rpm ...
  • jan89jan89 Posts: 1
    HI! Can't decide between an Elantra or a Daewoo Wagon. I like the ELantra for the options and price, but is it really that reliable? Any one out there who carts around kids and backpacks and dogs...can you move in the Elantra? I am looking to purchase soon. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    I need an inexpensive car that is very reliable.
    Had my last car (Mazda 323) for 11 years...not without problems these last years though. Looking for something similar, but can't afford over $15,000. thanks!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Hmm, a reliable car for dogs and backpacks and other stuff under $15K? Personally I wouldn't go with either the Daewoo or Elantra--the Daewoo because of their uncertain future (at least in the U.S.), and the Elantra because it's a 4dr sedan. Now if you can wait a couple of months for the 5dr Elantra hatchback, then you might have a winner. It should fall under $15K. Other options to consider are:

* Saturn wagon (reliable, roomy, under $15K, doesn't rust, really nice dealers--not much else to say for it)
    * VW Golf 2dr (would squeeze under $15K if you watch the options)
    * 2000 Civic DX Hatchback (maybe you can find a new one leftover, or one with low miles)
    * 2000 Elantra wagon (not as nice as the '01 Elantra, but more room and can probably get one under $10K with low miles--you might even find a new one left over)
    * 2001 Suzuki Esteem wagon (reliable, under $15K, did I say reliable?)
    * 2000 Subaru Impreza wagon (you might be able to find a used one under $15K; I've seen new 2001 sedans advertised under $16K recently)
  • I own the Elantra wagon. I bought it new in 1997 and it is a wonderful car. I have not had any problems with it and it has 53,000 miles on it now. I drive it every day and have gone everywhere with it. It is Excellent in the snow and it's economical and relaible.
    DO NOT LISTEN to anyone who tells you that Hyundai Elantra is no good. It IS a good quality car. Hyundai has been making Excellent quality cars now for the past 10 years. They have excellent warranties and service. They do not have the problems which they had with their cars in the 1980's. They have very High quality cars now and are into the Luxury car market.
    You will not be making a mistake if you buy the Elantra or Elantra wagon. It is definitely a good car.
  • If you want something other then a sedan:

1997+ Honda CRV (own a 2000 and Love it)
    2001 Jeep Cherokee 4door (over 15K but have seen extremely cheap lease)
    1999+ Chevy Tracker

Sedan Wise:
    98+ Honda Accord (bullet proof car)
    97+ Toyota Camry
    1999+ Hyundai Sonata (you can get a New 4cyl for a tad over 15K) If you are in the Ohio area I saw a 1999 Sonata with 40K GLS V6 for $11,900 and a 2000 Package 13 FULLY LOADED, Leather and roof for 15,900K. You would get more for your money with a year or 2 old sonata then a new elantra. In my opinion the sonata is the better value (especially with children and a dog)

DO NOT BUY A DAEWOO because of their uncertain future (at least in the U.S.),

Jack

JEgan98@aol.com

ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO E-MAIL ME.
  • To the people considering an Elantra, wanted to say that I just bought my 3rd Elantra. Have a 2000 sedan w/auto (Daughter #1), 2000 wagon w/auto (mine), and as of today a 2001 sedan w/auto for Daughter #2. Had 2 defects on my wagon, warped brake rotors and transmission seal leak. Rotors and seal replaced on 7500 mile service, no hassle. No other problems either car, just total satisfaction with the VALUE received.

Drove the 2001 home and loved it! They made a good car quieter, smoother, handle better, added armrests and interior tweaking, fixed the rather ugly tail end, and it seems to shift smoother. Out the door cost with 3% tax/title/fees for package 2 and mud guards, floor mats, and extended bumper to bumper warranty ($659 as I am repeat buyer) was $14,200. People may not realize that for $50 you can transfer that 10/100K warranty to a new owner if you decide to sell privately. The basic warranty stops at 5/60K if you sell. Also, I save about $68 a year in AAA fees for the duration. The Elantra is absolutely the best value going. If Hyundai made a pickup, I'd have bought one of those for my son, who loves his Toyota's reliability but dislikes the lousy comfort (it is killing his back) and cheap interior. My only dislike with the 2001 was the ribbed seat back. If I can talk my daughter into letting me drive it once in a while, perhaps I will get used to it.

By the way, I'm not independently wealthy. The kids are making a large chunk of the car payments, but this way they get a safe, reliable car with no unplanned upkeep costs. I had spent $2500 trying to keep Daughter #2's '95 Neon running over the past 2 years and just said the heck with it.

To the lady who hated the seat fabric pattern: spend $60 on seat covers in any color you want.
  • I tested my 2001 Elantra 5 spd late this evening (so I don't get any tickets) and here are the numbers I got:

Kilometer Per Hour (Kph)
    100 Kph (2500 rpm) 62 mph
    110 " (2700 rpm) 68 mph
    120 " (3000 rpm) 74.5 (75) mph
    130 " (3200 rpm) 81 mph
    140 " (3500 rpm) 87 mph

I really like the way the car rides...
    The only thing I don't like are the tires...Khumo...they sound like snow tires yet they suck in the snow...I hope you have better tires as OE on your cars than we do here in Canada.
  • bri70bri70 Posts: 147
    After a largely very praiseworthy review, Jedlica ends it with: "As is the case with most South Korean cars, the Elantra has the refinement that leading Japanese economy cars possessed a few years ago. It's just that Japan keeps raising the bar."

Rarely do I see a review that does not knock Hyundai in the same manner. I rarely see competing Japanese makes compared to each other in the refinement category. I'm looking at maybe getting the hatchback when it comes out. Besides the engine growl, where else does Hyundai lag in refinement?

Thanx
  • I am ready to buy the 2001 Elantra except for one thing. I can't stand the smell in the inside of the car. While testing driving the car I came away with a headache. Does anyone know what this funky odor is? Does it go away? The salesman said it was from the catalytic converter.
  • darpin1: while "lot prowling" this morning before any of the lot sharks were out of bed I noticed that ALL the 2001 Elantras on this particular lot had 15" Michelins on them. The other Accents and Sonatas all had Kummo or Hankook tires. I think putting the "Michies" on the Elantra was a very wise move and just makes the car a even better value.

molly26: Being in business we buy a lot of cars for our sales force per year, both domestic and imports. ALL new cars have some sort of odor. Some nicer than others. Fear not, the smell will go away as soon as all the "new" plastic and paint settle in. My wife complained for about 6 months about the reeking leather in her Bimmer ! Go figure, some folks just love that leather smell and others can't stand it! Squirt some Lysol in there 'till it settles down it'll be fine. I doubt the smell was from the cat convt unless it smelled like sulpher (rotten egg smell) but that would not likely be noticed inside the car as a constant. Like most car salesmen, he doesn't have a clue as to what he's selling.

Floridian
  • Thanks for the RPM info. :)
  • The car is still in the shop (8 days now) the parts are in back order. The wiring harness needs replacement. For those who want to know I live in CT, I have the '01 option 4 manual.

They state water may have got into the wires causing the corrosion. We did have some bad snowstorms and my wife drove through some large amouts of snow/slush.

Regarding the gas gauge ours comes on with about 2 gallons to go. Will keep ya'll updated... Cant wait to get my Firebird on the road. : )
  • I completely agree with your observation. It's like "hey, this is a really good car!" and then they pour cold water on it by slamming it somehow. Consumer's reports came the closest I have read to really coming out in support of the Elantra. I don't work for Hyundai, but I have to tell you after hearing glowing remarks by uncle on his '99 and after driving an 01' automatic a couple of weeks back ( I believe Hyundai's slogan is "Driving is believing"), I'm a believer. I drove a Honda Civic LX and Chevy Prism LSi with hours for a comparison, and as far as I was concerned, the Hyundai won hands down! I told the a_ _ _ _ _ e salesman at the Honda dealer after my test drive what I was comparing to and that his machine came in a solid second behind the Hyundai and he literally starting screaming at me what a "piece of s_ _ t the Hyundai was and that I must " know nothing about cars at all!" It was obvious that his flat world had just turned round before his very eyes and he couldn't begin to deal with it. I actually feel sorry for him. I am attending the Columbus, Ohio autoshow in early March and understand that the hatchback will be on display. I can't wait. For those of you out there looking at a Civic/Corolla/Prism/Elantra decision, drive an Elantra and at least give it a chance . . . . I'm glad I did!
  • jcaccjcacc Posts: 10
    I just got a 2001 Elantra, and I must say I really like it. We test-drove all the compact sedans, and it was by far the most comfortable. Mine is champagne, with automatic, Package 4, and the mats, mudflaps, and moonroof air deflector.

As for the funky smell some people have noted, mine doesn't have it. It smells like saddle soap--maybe they did something to it at the dealership.
  • Hey All! I have posted in the Sonata message center before, but this is my first time here. I bought a 2001 Elantra champagne, manual and I really like it! It is so quiet and warms up fast. I hooked up my portable CD player to the tape deck and the sound quality is amazing! The only thing I'm bummed about is that it was a model for something and doesn't have cruise. I called the Hyundai service dept and they said they can't add it on...that I should have bought an option package. But later they called back and said they can add it via A.C.T. whatever that is for about $400! But then they mentioned something about being careful not to do anything to void the warranty. Does anyone know anything about adding cruise to the Elantra? Thanks! And I have the beige seats too and don't find them too offensive. I too liked the grey/pewter combo better. Also, the smell to me is just new car smell. It's my first new car ever (Never even had a car made in the same decade I was living in before!) and I enjoy the new car smell immensely!
  • In reading through these posts, I notice that Backy bought his car from the exact same place I bought mine! I loved my salesman, but had a less than stellar experience with the sales manager. But we got a good deal. I was not aware of the free washes...how does that work? Any info you have would be great! Love my new car!

Also, I was recently in Portland on business and saw Hyundais all over the place! But here in the North Country, I see Fords and GMCs and Hondas and Toyotas everywhere but narry a Hyundai...what's up with that?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    I believe the free washes at Roseville Hyundai (Roseville, MN) are for when you bring the car in for service. I don't think you can just stop in for a wash anytime. My old Nissan dealer, Feldmann, used to do that, and hand washes no less--saved me a ton of money--but last year they changed to offering washes only with other service. (Maybe if I bought an S-Class from them instead of a Sentra, I'd get the free washes. :] ) Yes, Ed the Sales Manager is, uh, intense, isn't he--from Jersey I believe. But I've found he's an OK guy once you actually close the deal. I like their service department also--but I've only used it once, for their free one-month inspection (and wash!). Tomorrow I go in to get my #2 remote set up (no wash--it's going to be 15 below tomorrow).

Congrats to all the new Elantra owners posting recently! If this board is any indication, Hyundai should have a stellar February. I'm starting to a few '01 Elantras around town. I see lots of '99-'00 Elantras and current-generation Sonatas and Accents. Not many Santa Fe's yet, which is puzzling since they should be popular here in SUV Country.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Anyone know if Hyundai has any kind of customer loyalty deals going on? If so, how do you find out about them? I currently own a 2000 Accent but may be adding an 01 Elantra soon. It would be nice to get $500 off for being loyal to them.