Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• aquesadaaquesada Posts: 24
    Sorry about your decision, I have 3200 miles(3months) on my Elantra 01 with 0(zero) problems.
    For me there is no comparison between my Elantra and any other used car, when you by a used car you are buying what somebody else wants to get rid of.
  • baberbaber Posts: 96
    My Wife and I have a 99 Accent sedan and a 99 Elantra. I spend 3 hours a day in my Accent in my 100 mile a day commute to work. The Accent is good enough but I could use a little more leg and head room (6' 2"). Love the economy though. I have taken my Wifes Elantra on several long trips and found it to be VERY comfortable. I have driven for upto 4 hours between fillups without getting tired at all. The car has plenty of power and the cruise control and AC work great. On the highway I get about 30mpg. The car cruises great at 75MPH too. 25,000 miles trouble free so far. I have a good garage and tire shop nearby. They do my balancing and rotating every 7500 miles. We have never had any shimmy problems in our 99 Elantra, I guess this is a problem with the 2001 model. The 2001 model seems to be even nicer then the 1999/2000, so I would recomend the 2001 Elantra. Ours is an automatic by the way. One more thought, the 2001 Elantras have 15 inch tires the 1999/2000 models had 14 inch, could this contribute to the shimmy problem? Our 99 Elantra also has Michelin tires as standard equipment. As I recall only the automatic Elantras in 1999 and 2000 had the Michelins, the 5 speeds had Kumho or Hankook tires. I have heard a lot of BAD things about Hankook tires. The Kumho tires on my Accent lasted 56,000 miles. They seemed to start to lose their balance after about 5,000 miles or so and had to be rebalanced. My Accent started to shimmy pretty bad at 56,000 miles. It turned out the belt in one of the front tires started to separate. These were the Kumho tires that came as original equipment on my Accent. The tire didn't look bad but is was out of round. This happened during a long trip at high speed. I guess the Kumhos couldn't take the stress. Replaced the Kumho tires with a new set of Michelin MX-4's (birthday gift from my Wife, what can I say, she LOVES me) and the car has been smooth as glass since. I haven't had to do an alignment on either car yet.
  • bri70bri70 Posts: 147
    Well I guess I jinked myself when I suggested that most comments on the Elantra have not been major issues.

This morning the 2000 Elantra did not want to start. Turn the ignition and nothing but a screeching sound came back. This lasted for more than a minute of trying. Finally after a horrendous screeching sound the engine turned. I am going to send it to the dealer to have it checked out. Before that, I was wondering if anyone else has any idea. The spark plugs were replaced a couple of months ago. I believe the battery is good. And I have been able to start the car a number of times since without a problem.

Now my sister (who uses the car more than I do) wants to get rid of it. Trade it in for a used Toyota. What a joke. A little trouble and all the bad rep of Hyundai of yore starts causing her to panic.
  • From my previous post, about paying 15,495. I could have probably done better, according to the replies to my post. I live in Ohio, and the tax alone was $900. The Extended warranty was $1000 probably should have got the extended warranty down to $700. I can say this has been a learning experience for me, so I feel pretty happy with my purchase. I used the TMV numbers from Edmunds.com to make the purchase. I didn't have any extended warranty numbers to work with so I was not going to go over a 1,000 for the extended coverage on any car. The next car I purchase I will have those facts in my back pocket to haggle them down. Thanks for the input folks.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Why did you buy an extended warranty on a car that comes with a 10 year / 100K powertrain warranty? On top of that, you paid $1K for a warranty on a $15K car? Helloooo...
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I note that some of you are recording sales tax as part of the price. This will skew and mislead comparison figures since each state does it differently. In Missouri, for instance, the sales tax for cars (only) follows the purchaser's residence and is not levied at the time of purchase but within thirty days (reminds me I've got to go down this week and stand in line). When some of you include sales tax and some don't it just gets confusing.

I've only bought an extended warranty on one thing in my life, I got talked into it on an '86 Tempo. That was a good move since the Tempo was the most troublesome bucket of crap I've ever seen. Ford at that time had a guarantee that if you replaced any part twice they'd pay for it. Never knew so many things could go out once. For the most part, however, I'm a firm believer that an extended warranty is simply a way for the dealer to recoup some money. That applies whether its cars or dishwashers.
  • I bought the extended warranty because this car will be getting alot of miles on it and I did not want any gaps in coverage. Yes it has a 10 year 100,000 mile power train, but I wanted bumper to bumper coverage for this car extended. My wife will be the primary driver for this car and she commutes about 100 miles a day. If I never have to use the warranty I will be glad, but I feel better knowing its there if I need it. Even if I paid about $400 dollars to much for it. I feel if I start getting in trouble after 60,000 miles the warranty will pay for it self even though I have overlap on the power train coverage. We will be keeping this car at least 10 years if not more, and I would like to get about 200,000 miles out of it. But I appreciate all the feedback you folks have been giving me, it will really help on my next purchase.

Thanks Jim.
  • I agree 100%. Tax is not negotiable and varies from state to state (and within state). If anyone includes it, the user of the information ends up removing it from the numbers.

I know we all have to include tax in our total for personal budget purposes, but including it in comparisons is counter-productive -- it makes comparisons difficult.
  • browneybrowney Posts: 104
    I also have posted in the past about the perceived A/C issue. I brought my Elantra back to the dealer twice to be checked out and they said it works exactly as it should, and all Elantras work this way.
    The service manager personally drove my vehicle 80mi to test it out and also drove 2 other new Elantras on the lot for comparison.
    I did a bit of A/C research on the net and also purchased the shop repair manuals for the Elantra. I found that the Elantra uses an expansion valve type A/C system. (I have been told that most, if not all imports use this type of system) This valve, from what I have read, should control the cycling of the compressor to regulate the evaporator temperature. There is also a thermistor switch placed in between the coils of the evaporator that shuts off the compressor to prevent freezing.
    I have done a lot of testing on my vehicle and it seems that this thermistor is what is controling the temp inside my car. I have measured the exhaust vent temp at the dashboard and it varies between 34 deg f and 46 deg f with the revs held at 1500rpm and the outside air temp at about 80 deg f. This temp variation occurs about every 20-30 seconds and is caused by the compressor shutting off because the thermistor has shut it off to prevent freezing. (I have used a voltmeter to actually measure the thermistor shutting off the compressor)
    I could be wrong but I think the expansion valve is actually supposed to control the A/C and the thermistor is just a back up to prevent freezing.
    I had a co-worker drive me around in his new Nissan frontier to see what the A/C temp variation was for it, and it also cycled about 10-12 deg f. (so maybe this is normal?)
    The Hyundai Service manager said that a variation of up to 18 deg f is normal for this type of A/C system. He said his Honda Accord varies by this amount. They also measured the charge in the system and said it was within specs for the vehicle.
    So my fix has been to not point the exhaust vents directly at me so I don't notice when the air temp cycles and to keep the fan at 2 or higher.
    I also have had my Elantra in for the transmission slipping between 2nd and 3rd when cold. They found no problem in their test drive and said if there are no fault codes in the computer, 'there isn't any problem'.
    I have 4400mi on my vehicle now and that slip is still there every day.
    I expect that to get worse when the cold weather arrives in the south and that is when it will go back to the dealer again.
    Good luck with your service department and keep us posted if you actually able to get something repaired. ;-)
  • tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    I ended up buying the base Sonata, automatic, instead...
    I wonder how much they are selling for down there!
    No, I don't want to know...

• Congratulations! I hope you are happy with your Sonata! I didn't even know the Sonata was under consideration -- you never asked about price comparisons...

I would only pass on pricing if I thought it would be helpful and since you have already bought, it's a non-issue.

Enjoy your new car!
  • I called my insurance company (20th century) for rate estimates and got surprising results:
    The following rates are from 20th century insurance for West Los Angeles, with full coverage $100/300 deductible, perfect driving record.
    1) elantra GLS $446/ 6 mo
    2) altime GXE $426/ 6 mo
    3) sentra GXE $381/ 6 mo
    4) accord LX $407/ 6 mo
    The reason the rep gave was that elantra parts and repair is more expensive.
    I had posted on something similar a week or two back. Check your posts.

In my case the Elantra was rated at a 16, my 97 Cavalier at a 6 or 7, and my 94 Caravan at a 3 or 4. Most of the posts indicated that American cars with their cheaper readily available parts tend to do better in insurance costs and that Hyundai was paying for higher claims in earlier generation Elantras. The last generation's bumper repair costs were extremely high until the mid-course redesign (I think when the Elantra got a grill.)

Hyundai may be low balling the purchase price and then trying to recoup money with higher repair costs.
    >...didn't even know the Sonata was under consideration...
    >

Neither did I, until this Sunday when I saw an ad: 13.999 + 495 Dest. with auto,Keyless entry, mud guards & mats which is just over 1,000 over the Elantra quotes I 've got. MSRP:16,627.
    I thought the car has a little more stuff and worth the xtra 1,000.
    (Hyundai started a Free Auto Transmission deal: $800 Jul.31 - which I did not know about before; and which was not even listed on their site /Edmunds/Carpoint or CarsDirect)

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Clarkemode: this does sound like a driveline problem. If I were you, I'd demand (nicely of course) that the dealer keep the car for a day (while they give you a free loaner) so they can take it on an extended test drive. (If they don't like that idea, you can offer to return the car in exchange for another unit or get your money back, since the car is unsafe to drive ;) ). Also, for those of you who are more mechanically inclined: does this problem (shimmy while in gear, no shimmy in neutral, shifts by itself from 2nd to 3rd) sound like it could be related to a defective/broken motor mount?

Re insurance rates: it's very odd that the Accord's rate is so low, since they not only have high repair costs but are one of the most popular cars amongst car thieves. Probably has more to do with the "typical" driver of an Elantra vs. Accord: younger, single, higher accident rate for Elanta vs. more "family" types for Accord (also explains why the rates for Caravans are so low).
  • Thanks for your input, im glad im not the only one! My a/c varies by about 5 degrees, but it doesn't get below 45 when idling unless on the lowest fan speed. My accent used to get to 38 on the third fan speed when idling, so this is why I am upset. I was wrong about putting my car in neutral. The shimmy is there regardless. I think I want to take the car somewhere and have the alignment checked and/or the tires dismounted and cleaned and then remounted and balanced....The shimmy is alot better but it still comes and goes...and with a 65 mile commute a day, I need a nice smooth ride!
  • av1998av1998 Posts: 7
    Where did you get the Sonata deal at ? I may opt for that too !! Sounds like an awesome price for a higher-end model.
    >Where did you get the Sonata deal at ? I may opt for that too !!

ARNOLD Hyundai 29187 Gratiot - Roseville 48066

>Even if I paid about $400 dollars to much for it.
    >
    It is not too late to go back and to tell them they took advantageof the situation and sold you the wrong Extented Warranty ( Assuming it is Hyundai's Ext. Warranty)... because there are 2 types:
    1- The $1,000+ for 2nd hand owners.
    2- The $789 ( I was quoted 709 after some haggling.. but I didn't buy it...) for the original owner.
    Hyundai allows to return the policy and get full refund the first year I believe...
    If the dealer you bought it from is doesn't want to ... Contact Hyundai!

>Even if I paid about $400 dollars to much for it.
    >
    Extended Warranty Follow up:

When I asked about buying the Extended Warranty, I was also quoted, at first, $1,000+ type... but fortunately I remember reading a posting somewhere, where it states how much someone paid for it. - $700.

So, I mentionned it to him..and he pretented to look it up again and he said: "Sorry I quoted you the wrong type", and he showed me the official pricing.

Moral of the story:

The Dealer sells you the wrong Ext. Warranty at $1,000
    He pays Hyundai $500 and pockets $500 and tells Hyundai: he sold an Original Owner Warranty (the one which costs 789... Both warranties have the same coverage and are the same... the only difference is, if it is a 1st/2nd owner!); for a new car, which is the proper procedure and Hyundai would never know of the scheme, because that would give them a bad image (as if they need any more help in that field!).
    Otherwise, if he sold you the correct warranty, his profit margin would be only around $200.

Also: you don't have to buy the warranty at the time of car purchase... Hyundai allows purchase (and I believe also full Refund), up to 1 year/ 15,000 miles after sales date.

Just thought I let you know...

Kumho tires are Korean and bad. Michelins are French and good. Everybody knows that Hyundai made the right choice in upgrading their tires, right?

I put "vibration" and "Michelin" into Google and came up with this page. I don't know if it means anything, since similar situations might exist with any brand of tires. Still it might be a possible explanation for the intractable vibration problems that some people complain about.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/michelin.html

• steveb70steveb70 Posts: 15
    Thanks for posting this and doing the research! Actually, if this is what's causing the shimmy in the '01 Elantras, it's good news, in a way, because it means the shimmy isn't being caused by a manufacturing flaw in the car itself.

Now, the question is, has anyone asked for replacement tires under this scenario (where a shimmy existed)?

Finally, for anyone in Colorado, Shortline Hyundai is advertising the base 2001 Elantra for $10,588 (including the $500 rebate). Not quite Famous Ed's in California, but not bad. Also, McDonald Automotive has a hail damage sale going right now. I haven't visited either dealership, nor do I know their reputation, but it's worth checking out. Some dealers are advertising 0.9 percent financing WAC, but this is only on the Sonata -- correct?

Steve
  • aquesadaaquesada Posts: 24
    Your statement "Kumho tires are Korean and bad. Michelins are French and good" is not accurate at all, I use to work for Bridgestone/Firestone for 9 year and I can tell you both are good, Michelins are the equivalent of Toyota or Honda, I mean you are paying more for the name it self.
    We at Bridgestone road tested most brands and Koreans such as Kumho/Hankook got good overall performance.
    My Elantra has Kumho on it and I have no Shimmy at any speed.
    That statement was an attempt at irony. My point was that Hyundai in attempting to move up market may have done themselves in. I've bought a number of low end Korean tires over the years and all have performed quite well.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Posts: 1,339
    Just because Michelin is a French company doesn't mean their tires are made there. They, along with companies like Pirelli, Dunlop, Goodyear, etc. have plants all over the world. The country of origin (along with the week and year of manufacture) is embossed on the tire's sidewall.
  • I agree with tb88...I don't know the relative costs or the rules for changing/cancellation, but on a broad overview basis, I would never consider purchasing an extended warranty over the "America's Best Warranty" that comes with the car.

I know everyone drives their cars differently (mileage and usage conditions), but you can tell by the way the dealer's salesmen try to pitch these things that they are a real money-maker for them. Third party extended warranties are cheaper, but they all make money. Which means, statistically, you will spend less money repairing your car than you paid for the extended warranty...

Personally, I feel really good about the Hyundai standard warranty...just my $.02 worth. :)
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Sorry to hear about A/C problems. My GT is so darn cold that I was thinking of renting out hatchback space to my local butcher. Was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for over 2 hours on a detour of 7 miles. The A/C kept me cool on the lowest setting and temp needle never moved.
  • scamp11scamp11 Posts: 4
    on new Elantra. I'm bothered by a noticible "fishy" smell from the A/C. Never had this with any of my other new cars. Does anyone know if this is common and if it will go away in time? Thanks!
    Never noticed it myself, but numerous reviews of Korean cars talk about a new car smell that's none too pleasant. I've read (maybe here) that some of the odor is coating put on to protect metal during transit. If this is what you're talking about it should wear off in short order.
    Sound familiar???

http://www.mbz.org/resources/tips/tires/

If it's a Mercedes, the assumption is that it's the tire that's causing the vibration. If it's a Hyundai, the assumption is that it's the car. Note the reference to a Michelin factory rep. It might be interesting to show this reference to someone from Michelin and see if they can figure out if something similar is happening to the Elantras. I'm not sure whether the average Hyundai dealer would be able to pick this up.