Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• ryan41ryan41 Posts: 21
    Just purchased a 01 Elantra fully loaded. Car seems fine except that it has a slight shimmy at speeds of 60 or better. Has anyone else had the same problem?
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Posts: 211
    Hello,

Mine has it too at about 66-67 mph and ends at about 72mph.

I had tires balanced and rotated and problem is still in there.

It is a minor shimmy.

I was trying to find a place that 'trues' tires locally for a good price, but they want 25 bucks a tire to do it !!!

I will wait for these to wear out and will only go above or below the shimmy zone mph.

I guess it could very well be related to alignment too. I have about 8k miles on my 01 elantra.

Tony
  • jlim1jlim1 Posts: 50
    Thanks for the tips ! I managed to find a bug and tar remover by TurtleWax for $4.99. Just a quick spray on the spot, wipe off with a clean cloth. Very effective indeed, just have to avoid that commute on the expressway for the time being.
  • kupiecbkupiecb Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Elantra, I have only 9300 miles on it and right now it is in the shop due to electrical problems. My power windows and power locks would not work. I took it into the shop and they have to tear apart my door panels to see what the problem is. Has anyone had any Electrical problems with their car? I just can not believe on a brand new car I am having these problems. Good thing I bought the Diamond Extended Warrenty, It covers the rental car.
  • andy356andy356 Posts: 12
    List members:

One thing I forgot to say in my last post... whatever product you use to remove the tar, be advised that it also removes the wax on the paint. Follow up any tar removal with a coat of wax on the area.

And, consider this... waxing a car is a good way to get cardiovascular (sp?) exercise.

Andy,
    The road to a friend's house is never long.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I have used Goo Gone to remove the glue from pinstripes and it worked fine. On the bottle, it says it would remove tar too. It's worth a shot. Available at auto parts stores and Wal-Mart for about $3 a bottle. Plus, it smells like citrus too. Alot better than gas or lighter fluid. :)
    Has anyone test-driven a GT? It's supposed to be available at dealerships this month. I saw bits of it on pictures and TV ad and read some specifications and price listings on the Net... the things that intrigues me are the purple VDO gages and stiffer suspension. Looks to me like a cute hatchback with lotsa features to offer (including leather seatings and ABS) for under $15,000 (?)
  • eclipsegseclipsegs Posts: 66
    I just visited the dealership and they had 2 on the lot. One silver and the other red.
    Not a bad deal for the money. Lots of standard features including:
    -Leather seating surfaces, shift knob and steering wheel
    -AC
    -Power windows and locks, heated mirrors
    -6speaker CD stereo
    -Cruise control
    -Tilt Steering
    -Purple Ill. Inst. Cluster
    -Remote Keyless Entry w/Alarm
    -Fog Lights
    -Rear window wiper

Optional:
    -Moonroof
    -ABS w/Traction Control System

I believe the sticker was $16,500 loaded.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Be sure to check out the "Hyundai Elantra 5 Door" forum for lots of info on the GT, including test drives and new owner stories.
    It's a surprise to note that they have silver GT at the dealership. I was at the HyundiaUSA website to research a little on the GT, which they claim to have just the cobalt blue and red (some special red, I think) available. Which was probably why they have the purple VDO gages in the first place, otherwise with silver body the purple instrument gages will look awkward (to me anyway).
  • skyartskyart Posts: 4
    The Hyundai web sites states that their are two new colors exclusively(only can get these two colors on the GT and not on the GLS) for the GT which are Cardinal Red, and Cobalt Blue. The GT also comes in Cranberry, Black Obsidian, and Pewter(according to the bruchere I received when I test drove one a week or so back).
  • griffey2griffey2 Posts: 6
    Hooray! I finally bought an Elantra with package 2. Am thrilled. After test driving a Focus, Corolla, and Civic, amongst some larger cars, I settled on the Elantra for the price, warranty, and the way it drives. The ride feels much smoother than the other cars in its class. Now to sell my '93 Maxima....
  • aquesadaaquesada Posts: 24
    Hi guys,

What type of oil(brand,grade,synthetic,etc) are you using in your Elantra 01, I have 1700 kilometers on mine and I would like to hear some advice from you. I live in Costa Rica and temperatures goes from 32°f to 107°f.
  • browneybrowney Posts: 104
    The link below gives a good descripton of what to look for in oil. I live in Georgia which has the same basic temp range as your area. I use 5-30 oil, either Valvoline, Castrol, or Penzoil. Never had engine problems that would be caused by poor oil performance. I change oil and filter every 3k mi.

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html

The following links review Oil Filters:

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/oil_filter_test.html
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    Seeing all this talk about the various packages has me wondering just how many packages are available on the Elantra? I have seen reference to package 13 so does that mean there are 13 different packages or more?
  • kupiecbkupiecb Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Elantra, I have only 9300 miles on it and right now it is in the shop due to electrical problems. My power windows and power locks would not work. I took it into the shop and they have to tear apart my door panels to see what the problem is. Has anyone had any Electrical problems with their car? I just can not believe on a brand new car I am having these problems. Good thing I bought the Diamond Extended Warrenty, It covers the rental car. The service manager just told me that this is a defect in the 2001 Elantra's that is just being discovered. has anyone had any problems with the electrical??
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Log onto www.carsdirect.com and check out the Elantra. There are like 4 or 5 different packages available on the car.
  • presario1presario1 Posts: 15
    I had a shimmy at 60+, it seemed intermittant. My 2001 elantra had 150 miles on it at the first service, tire balance and wheel alignment didn't help. After the second service call at 300 miles, the dealer contacted Hyundai, who approved changing out the Michelin tires with replacement Michelins, rebalancing according to Hyundai techs. The steering wheel doesn't shake in each direction a 1/4" anymore, but there is more road feel than I'm used too through the steering wheel, considering my last car was a 92 Toyota Camry, maybe its still those michelins???????
  • orman1orman1 Posts: 7
    Have not had any electrical problems on our 2001 elantra, but when you get your car back, can you elaborate on the "problem" they say the 2001's have?

The only weird thing our car seems to do is make a "hiss" by the passenger's footwell area when a hard left turn is made. Sounds like "freon is escaping" hiss. It only seems to happen when the a/c is on and when making a left turn.
  • tazerelitazereli Posts: 241
    Having more road feel is not necessarily a bad thing. Smaller cars and sporty cars tend to have more than larger cars. I like my car telling me whats going on with the road. As to balancing to "Hyundai" specs; in the four years that i installed tires for sears I never heard of a manufacturer spec. My goal was always to get a zero balance where both sides of the tire were balanced. be sure that your air pressure is correct too. that can have an impact also. for that i would go with Hyundai's specs.