Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The standard ABS was one of the best features of the Cavafire--too bad they dropped it.

I had the chance to drive a '03 Cavalier LS automatic sedan for a couple of days in Miami a few weeks ago. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the driving experience was not as bad as I remembered from earlier models. Yes, it was the same cheap interior bits, the same cheap-sounding doors, the same uncomfortable rear seat. But pickup was very good for an automatic 4-banger, there were no rattles or squeaks, and the handling was tolerable. In other words, for someone who needs a car to go between point A and point B without fuss and wants a GM nameplate, it will do the job for low bucks. I've seen coupes advertised in my town for around $10K US, so they are definitely in Elantra territory. For the money though, I think the Elantra is a much more refined car (also safer).
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I would go for a used 02 Cavalier in a second. If you plan to keep the car for awhile, the initial loss in trade-in would not matter. I don't trust their reliability and crash safety though. But a fully loaded one for $13K doesn't hurt though...
  • steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    another positive point regarding the cavalier is that the coolant and the tranny fluid dont have to be changed under normal driving conditions unless u do some boat or trailor pulling otherwise that should cut down on maintanence costs. the 03 cavalier is a big improvement over the last few years.
    Looks like we might have to start a "Chevy Cavalier vs. Hyundai Elantra" board! Then we could discuss things like whether there is really any such thing as "permanent" coolant or transmission fluid.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    those 'never change' coolant and tranny fluids are a bad idea.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    After extensive test driving of either an '02 or '03 (can't remember we test drove so many new cars) Protege, Civic, Corolla, Echo, Cavalier, Sentra, Focus and Spectra, even not considering the lower Elantra price ($9.7K after discount), I can't fathom anything that is better for an economy car.

--Civic is more spartan and underpowered by comparison. Very "tinny" feeling with rattles unbecoming to a Honda. About $14K after negotiations
    --Corolla, with its supposed superior build quality, the shifter knob came off in my hand. 5-speed shifted very stiffly. Still slower than the Elantra. About $14K after negotiations...not nearly as well equipped as the Elantra.
    Echo--not even worth a comparison
    --Protege was a nice piece, but suffered from the Civic's "tinny" feel, weak engine. Handled nicely with a nice interior...still around $13K.
    --Sentra was a nice piece, too. Still about $12.5K after negotiations with fewer features than the Elantra...slower, too.
    --Cavalier could have been bought for about $10K, but build quality suffered.
    --Focus was another nice piece. Could have bought one with A/C (and little else) for around $10K. Build quality suffered with "squeaks and rattles" on a brand new car.

Long and short of it, I coulnd't find a better built, safer, feature rich car for the money.

Oh, and then there's the warranty.....
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    wow! I tested almost all of the same vehicles before I got my car. My opinions differ a good deal from yours though, and I tested automatics. Your negotiated prices strike me as absurdly low. Which years and models of each vehicles were you comapring? They seemed to have been stripped? And how did you actually manage a 9700 price tag on the Elantra- what were your terms? Trade in? Cash down? etc.
    ~alpha
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    The prices given by graphicguy are exactly what I see in N. CA newspaper. Many dealers have ads with those kinds of price. So I think those are the on-going market price.

I would believe you will see even lower price in LA.
    I'm on the East coast... I dont know much about pricing on Elantras- I never got that far with the two dealers I visited, cause none of them had ABS and alloys, which I wanted.
    :)
    ~alpha
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Have one of each, although I'm getting rid of the Cavalier...

Some advantages of Cavalier...
    1. Antilock brakes and traction control
    2. Slightly lower maintenance--although I haven't spent much on the Elantra either.
    3. Four speed automatic is pretty good, although I can't compare since my Elantra is a 5-speed.
    4. It's had three recalls, additional ignition problems right out of warranty and a broken alternator-- other than that it's been pretty reliable for 80,000 miles.
    5. Cheap off the rack headlamps that don't crap out every 6 months.
    6. 95-02 Cavalier was one of best looking Chevys IMHO-- 03 Monte Carlo snout and dowdy looking rear end screwed things up!!! They should have saved their money.

Disadvantages..
    1. Very crude in comparison
    2. Moaning, rental-car 2.2 engine is underpowered although new mill in 03's is probably a big improvement.
    3. Much less room, bathtub sitting position, much less comfortable.
    4. Drove it less because it's a lot less fun to drive.
    5. Suspension is much cruder although handling might actually be better than "floaty" Elantra.

All in all I can't say I was cheated by buying the Cavalier, but the Elantra is a MUCH better deal for the money.
    alpha, you would probably have better luck now that the GT sedan is out. It comes standard with alloys (and lots of other goodies like the GT hatchback) and ABS is more common of an option.

csandste, the '03 Cavaliers no longer have ABS standard. But the EcoTech engine is a big improvement over the old standard powerplant--still a bit harsh, but no worse than the Elantra's motor, and good power.
    Actually, this is a car that I helped my son buy.

After going through a couple of used cars, I came to the conclusion that the Elantra couldn't cost any more per month (given my son's cash outlay) than the repairs bills per month he was spending on the older cars he was driving.

The actual price for the 5-speed '03 Elantra GLS was $9,795. I can't remember the option package # but, it included side airbags, cruise control, power everything, floor mats. I'm sure there are some features I'm missing.

The one downside to the Elantra was it's depreciation. Given it's $3K-$4K price advantage over the Corolla, Civic, etc (all with much less equipment and weaker engines), plus the much higher equipment levels, the safety rating and the lower price, all this more than makes up for the depreciation issue. In addition, with the warranty in place, my son can drive it all through college and not worry about any big maintenance bills. In addition, he also got a coupon book that gives him free oil changes and free car washes for the length of the warranty. If there are any warranty issues that the dealer has to keep the car for more than 4 hours, they give him a loaner to use, too. For all intents and purposes, the Elantra will make it beyond the 100,000 mile mark while still under the warranty for all the major components. That should take him well into this decade without worry of major repair costs

All the cars we test drove were "stripped" down models compared to the Elantra. If you add anti-lock brakes, automatics, and traction control to any of the models, then the price would go up accordingly. With a 5-speed, I question the need for traction control, anyway.

While not as effective as anti-lock brakes, I've taught my son the "art of pedal pumping" whenever he is in the position that he has to stop quickly.

We've had a lot of snow in the midwest so far this winter. The lack of traction control hasn't had any affect in the Elantra's ability to "go in the snow".

Truly, the other cars in comparison weren't anywhere near as much car for the money. Even if all the cars were priced the same, I don't know that the decision to get the Elantra would have been any different.
    but there are people out there who will never buy anything but Japanese. Their fathers were the same kind of people who would never buy anything Japanese. There's always a portion of the population that's slow to change.

Interestingly enough a lot of people who do Korean car bashing on Edmunds always refer to the cars as HYUNDIAS, even when chided by other posters. Whether this means there's one person out there with a lot of different personas or it's some kind of a North Korean plot, I don't know...;)
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    its the smae ole thing that the japanese cars went through in the 70's . most americans bad mouthed them as junk but some did feed into that thinking and now look where they are . Hyundai makes solid cars now . sure the early ones were not to good , but so were the early japanese cars . let them bash all they want i know better . with a 95 accent pushing 190k , my son drives it , with never needing a major repair , i am sold on the product . cheap , reliable what more do you need . depreciation is over rated if you don't get a new car every 2-3 years . whats it matter if you keep the car over 5 years . keeping up with the jones's is expencive .
    A new GLS with Package 2 and mats, plus free oil changes and washes for the life of the warranty (worth a few hundred bucks right there) plus free loaners... that's one of the best Elantra deals I've heard of! Hope your son is appreciative of getting a nice new set of wheels to drive to school. My oldest son is going to get my Elantra when he turns 18--that won't be until '06, but it will still have four years of powertrain warranty left, nearly enough to get through college.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    If anyone has had trouble finding any pics of the GT sedan( since hyundai doesn't seem to have that great a website), go to www.carsdirect.com and you can see pics of a pewter GT sedan. This is the first time I saw more than 1 pic on a website, and thought that it looks really good in pewter, and I would have a tough decision between the hatchback and sedan GT. Hopefully someone finds this helpful.
    I debated myself for quite some time whether I should help my son get the Elantra. Or, continue to let him drive his "beaters". It came down to financials and how my son handled having a license from the previous 1.5 years of driving. As a proud father, he handled driving responsibly (as far as I can tell). He paid me for insurance and upkeep on the beaters.

Financially, my son was spending right around $200/mo, just in repairs, on the old cars he was driving. My thoughts then turned to looking at "newer" used cars. Most of the 3,4,5 year old cars we looked at (mostly Toyotas and Hondas) hovered at or above the $10K mark to purchase. None of them had warranty. I don't care how good a car is supposed to be....cars break.

With my son facing college, I liked the idea of having a car with warranty and roadside assistance (which the Hyundai does).

I believe that Hyundai, at least in my neck of the woods, is trying to gather market share. I believe dealers are being incentivized for volume, not neccesarily on how much money they make on any iduvidual deal. That's why I got the deal I got.

Again, taking away the warranty, I still think the Elantra is a better car than just about anything else we drove...it's better built, has more features and certainly a more substantial car than anything else in the "entry level" range.
    well put . i think you did good and what you are saying is very sound advice . you son should be glad he has a cool dad .
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Had an oil change yesterday, and while I was waiting to pay, I flipped through the accessories catalog. It seems there is a second style of alloy wheels available for the GT (or GLS I should imagine).

I have a question. From time to time I come across an interior photo of the Elantra that shows a ticket holder in the dash. For those of us without ABS/TC, there are two fake buttons next to the emergency flasher button. The pics I've seen show the fake buttons replaced by one long slot, suitable for a parking ticket stub. Does anyone here have any idea where to find one of these? Is it perhaps available only outside of the U.S.?
  • canpamcanpam Member Posts: 24
    When the GT/Hatchback came out I kicked myself for not waiting then when I saw the GT Sedan--I want the very features that the GT Sedan offers. (black bumper stripe, flood or fog lights, not the spoiler but the leather seats and the alloy wheels). Don't get me wrong I love the Elantra GLS but the new designs look great. I also look forward to someday purchasing the Santa Fe--looks like a great small SUV. I am quickly becoming a Hyundai only car buyer...? Even with the HP debacle. My Elantra is SOLID AS A ROCK at 40K--we will see as time goes on.
    Thank you! I don't know how "cool" of a Dad I am and the jury is still out on whether a new car for a teen is a good idea. I still wrestle with that decision.

(knocking on wood)....We can only hope, as parents, that we don't get that dreaded phone call from our teens stating that they've been in an accident, or worse. Of course, you can do stupid things in a used car just as easily as in a new one.

I try to put him in the safest car possible without breaking the bank.

If you would have told me 12 months ago that I would have had a Hyundai in the driveway, I would have laughed.

Fact is, if I'm a manufacturer of any other entry level brand, I would worry. Hyundai is making some good cars and undercutting their competition by a large margin. In addition, their warranty is great.

I can't speak for Hyundia's other car offerings, but if they're anywhere near the value and the quality of the Elantra, Korea will take the place of Toyota and Honda as the high quality, good value providers.
    If you want him in a safe car, put him in a Civic, Lancer, or Jetta. They all scored higher than the Hyundai in crash tests.
    cool dad = buy son new car lol . i have a 95 hyundai that my son drives that i bought new and it has 190k on it with NO major repairs needed for it . so i don't think the car breaking down will be a big worry . as for safety . any car is only as safety as the driver behind the wheel . but like u said all around value , i don't think you can find a better deal than what u made .
    why do you need to say things like that? the guy already bought his son a car, and its probably ten times safer than the kid could afford on his own. relax. and show me a NEW 13K civic, lancer, or jetta with std. side airbags. oh wait, since he paid $9700 for the elantra, can you show me a NEW $9700 civic, lancer, or jetta with side airbags? great, thanks.

~alpha
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    they tend to be in the shop for repairs more often. CR once again removed the Jetta from its recommended list, as it is once again plagued with reliability problems according to their owner surveys. Now I understand owners of several VWs are trying to get the company to recall their cars to replace some engine related? defect? I've owned 3 VWs, and lived in the shop with all of them. Great cars, but they are expensive to repair.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    I have heard that the 04s might get variable valve timing for the 2.0L engine. Some speculate that the 2.4L 4 cylinder might be available in the GT, but I am not sure if it would fit. Anyone out there aware of major changes to the Elantra line coming in 04, inlcuding the GTs? When is the Elantra due for a major makeover?

Thanks.
    Looks to me like the Suzuki Forenza will be new competition for the Elantra, not the Chevy Aveo, which will be competition for the Accent and Rio. Although I am mystified as to how Suzuki will position two compact offerings--the Aerio and Forenza. It's a clear sign that GM has awakened to the challenge posed by Hyundai and Kia in the low-end car market. One problem for Chevrolet will be competing against the Hyundai/Kia warranty. If someone is going to buy an inexpensive small car from Korea, would they rather have GM's 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty or the Hyundai Advantage warranty? Also, the article noted that GM expects to be able to sell the Aveo without discounting. Accents and Rios are routinely discounted, and start under $7000 US in some markets.
    In post 1246 in "Hyundai is the greatest car line available to the public," site815 (Hyundai employee) reported that the '03 Korean-spec Elantra includes "a 2.0 VVT(Variable Valve timing) Engine for 5~10 more Hp and about 5 more pounds of torque on the low end," and noted that this engine would be in the '04 U.S.-spec Elantra. If Hyundai follows its usual refresh/redesign schedule, the Elantra would be due for a freshening for the '04 model, and a redesign for the '06 model year.
    We looked at the Civic. For $14K as the negotiated price for a civic with little more than A/C as an option, the Civic was much more expensive and not nearly as safe feeling. It was very "tinny" feeling in comparison to the Elantra. Also, it did not have side airbags as did the Elantra.

VW has priced themselves out of the entry level market. Yes, their interiors are nice, but the standard engine wasn't remotely a match for the Elantra's drivetrain. Just looking in the newspaper car ads, the chepaest Jetta I've ever seen advertised was over $16K (or about 60% more expensive than the Elantra with nowhere near the Elantra's features). In all fairness, I've only been in the current model Jettas a couple of times...always as a passenger. The Jettas are decent cars but need to be about $4K less expensive to be competitive in the entry level field.

Didn't even look at the Lancer. I've driven them as rental cars and came away unimpressed.

The Elantra gave up nothing to the cars you mentioned and came out on top, for me anyway, in comparison to the competition. As I said, even taking away the large price differential and the superior warranty, I don't know that the decision I made would have been any different.

The safety ratings I looked at were all good for the Elantra. Insurance is actually a little cheaper for it than on either the Corolla or the Civic. That has more to do with individual insurance policies than anything else, though.
    I need to say things like that because they are true.
    This isn't meant as a slight, but you sound like you've done no research and even less comparison shopping. Your comments have little in the way of facts to back them up.

I'm sure the VW, Honda, Mitsubishi dealers will love to see you in their dealership. They love to see consumers that come in who haven't done any credible research so they can overcharge you.
    This is a quote taken from a "shootout" Edmunds did regarding entry level cars (and this was the previous version of the Elantra, not the new, improved one):

"...the Elantra soundly beat the Civic and Corolla. Enter the redesigned Elantra, which offers the same attributes it did last year along with a larger and quieter cabin, better handling and ride qualities, and a higher level of fit and finish. Add a 10-year/100,000-mile warranty to allay fears of long-term reliability, and it's evident that Hyundai is a company that listens and learns.
    Your comment isn't meant as a slight, and it couldn't be more wrong either. But I digress...

From reading the IIHS website is where I learned about the Elantra's crash test performance, and that the other cars scored better.

And I wouldn't be caught dead in a Lancer, a Civic, or a Corolla. They are too cramped feeling and underpowered for me.
  • ejakabejakab Member Posts: 20
    I want to buy a new Elantra and the dealer wants me to pay $400 for a so-called advertising fee, arguing that it's charged by Hyundai. Is that right?

One more question: do I need CALIFORNIA emissions in CONNECTICUT? Or is it just another way to make me pay extra $$$?
    ejakb...your dealer may be right, but the price you want to get for comparison's sake is the total price of the vehicle. In the midwest, Elantra GLS's with 5-speed, power everything, A/C, side airbags, floor mats, cruise control (I think it's option package #2) are selling for ~$10K, give or take $200, inclusive of the ad fee. The only other fees they are charging for is a $35 tag transfer fee (legitimate) and whatever your local taxes are (legitimate).

Not sure about CN, but some east coast states require CA emmisions equipment. That's something you want to check out with your state's DOT or EPA office.

I don't like dealers who try to tack on fees on the "back end" of the deal. Figure what your local taxes are on the car (whatever the tax rate is added to the purchase price of the car), add in about $50 for tag fees and you should have the "out of pocket" price of the car within $15-$20 (that is the total amount of cash you need to drive the car home).

Vocus...my appologies...my intent wasn't to offend. Jettas, stripped are selling for around $17K around here. That's a huge jump from the ~$10K an Elantra is selling for. In addition, the Elantra gets 4-5 star safety ratings, same as the Jetta.

Forgetting the more powerful engine the Elantra has, in addition to more equipment, better ride, terrific warranty, and comparable handling when compared to the Jetta, it's really tough to justify the huge price differential between the two cars.

IMHO, the Elantra is just a much better car than the Jetta regardless of the huge price differential. Throw in the warranty, and that made the Elantra choice a "no-brainer".
    don't take into account the truly deep discounts at purchase. $10.2 is phoenominal. My main complaint about Hyundais is that the dealers seem to make up for their lack of markup on the purchase by gouging for the service. The way around this is to get routing servicing from an independent shop. I paid a bit over $50 for a 30K check including coolant and oil changes. I get tire rotations at Wal-Mart for $7+ per tire lifetime balance and rotation. Plus the Wal-Mart guy solved some high speed vibrations that were driving Edmunds posters to multiple dealer visits as reported in mid '01.

I notice that recent auto issues of Kiplingers and Money magazines had Hyundai depreciation as less than most American makes, although still not up there with Toyota and Honda. Take that you Hyundai bashers--the ones that always spell it HyunDIA.
    Graphicguy,
    Thank you for your help. It was great.

I have been quoted about 13,000 for a 2003 Elantra GLS Automatic with option package 2 (including the $1000 rebate), before sales taxes. I guess this would be a bad deal in the Midwest. :-)

Does anybody know FOR SURE that an Elantra like this costs 10K in the Midwest. Where?

Thank you, guys.
  • soonbaeksoonbaek Member Posts: 17
    I've recently purchased the '03 GLS and manage to negotiate the ad fee. Towards the end of the negotiation, I asked for any other fees, and surely the ad fee came up. I refused to pay ad fee and was told same story about Hyundai setting the fee, etc. Finally we ended up splitting the ad fee 50/50.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

BTW, I'm at NYS and had to pay the CA emission fee.
    You paid the CA emissions fee, because it's CA & NE that makes you pay it. I am in MD, and paid it too.
  • codata99codata99 Member Posts: 123
    Not a fee, but a charge for the California-emission equipment on the car. If you live in Maryland, you don't have to buy a CA-emission car. People living in the five CA-emission states have no choice since they can't register a new car that does not meet the strict tailpipe emission standards.
    In my part of the Midwest (Twin Cities), a GLS automatic with package 2 would run about $12k, but I've seen them advertised for close to $11k. Depends on how much of the holdback the dealer is willing to eat into (or can eat into), whether there is some special incentive for the dealer (e.g. an incentive for selling a certain number of cars in a month), how much they want your business etc. I agree that $13k before taxes and including rebate is not a good deal; it's only a little off full MSRP when you consider the rebate. Not a good deal at all in today's market. I'd make them a counteroffer or look elsewhere.
    All new cars for sale at dealers here in MD have the NE emissions package, or the CA emissions package. I never checked a Hyundai for this package, but now I will have to in order to settle my curiousity.
    ejakcab, if the dealer participates in the advertising co-op program, the invoice will show the ad fee tacked on the car. Membership in the co-op is strictly voluntary. They will get reimbursed for the charges later and receive subsidy for ad expenses too.
    A new car sold in the U.S. is either a federal-emission or CA-emission certified. What is your point? :D
    Guys,

Thank you for all the great feedback. It's been of tremendous help.

I asked the DMV and one does NOT need California emissions for Connecticut registration.

I found a dealer from NY (30 miles away) who quoted me $1000 less than the original dealer from my city. I now have an offer of $12000 + sales tax (including everything, even the plates) for an Elantra GTS Automatic with Option Package 2 (the one with cruise control and keyless entry w/alarm, $14400 MSRP). It seems that I'll close the deal on Thursday.

What was fun though was that the dealer from my city could not match the price. I swear the guy really tried to, but he simply could not understand how I got that price. He said that he would talk to his boss and call me tomorrow, to tell me if he can match the price. I am starting to enjoy this game, guys! Poor dealers... :-)
    In the Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky area, a GLS with #2 plus an auto tranny is selling for around $11,000, give or take $100. That's after rebate. No ad fees, just taxes and a $35 tag transfer fee.

They are doing the same thing with the auto equipped GT models with option package #1.

My son's '03 Elantra GLS was a 5-speed with #2. I bought his for $9,795 after rebate. They acutally advertise them in the newspaper for that amount. Plus, they wanted to charge me $350 more because the advertised cars didn't have option package #2. After negotiation (and getting ready to walk on the deal) they "threw in" package #2 for no charge. Understand that 5-speeds are harder for them to sell given that many people don't know how to drive a 5-speed.

Your 2nd dealer still sounds about $1K too high. I'll assume you meant it's an Elantra GLS (not a GTS) with auto and #2. Unless, of course they are giving you the $1,000 rebate and not taking it off the price of the car in the quoted deal. Still, for $12K, it's still a great car.

I think the first dealer is giving you the "run around" in not being able to price match.

Travel to Cincinnati and the local dealers will give you the deal they gave me all day long. There are 4 dealers within about 30 miles of me and they are very competitive.
    Yes, I meant GLS. My mistake.

Seems to me that this is Connecticut: high prices on everything. :-) I couldn't pay more for many things even in Manhattan.

Is it possible that Hyundai sells the cars to the dealers for a higher price in this area? I ask because the Consumer Reports Wholesale price in my area, for this car, would be 12900 with delivery but no sales tax or registration included. From this point of view, 13k out of the door is a good price in this area.

I am really looking forward to Wal-Mart selling these cars, no-haggle. :-)
    There are two dealers in my area that have been going to battle to sell Elantra GLS 5-speeds for between $9,795-$9,995. They advertise that offer in our local paper a couple of times/week.

These are volume dealers. I suspect that thye are getting some form of money back from Hyunjdai based on their volume. So, they may in fact be getting their units cheaper than the ones in CT based on the fact that they hit some sort of volume target set by Hyundai. I doubt they are selling these cars at a loss. That's not a good model for staying in business for very long. Both these dealers have been in business since Hyundai first started selling cars in the U.S. That may also have something to do with how they get reimbursed by Hyundai for volume sales.

All-in-all, you still can't beat the car you're getting for the price they're selling it to you for.

My son and I both can't believe that this is an economy car. It's built great. He's getting around 30 MPG in combined highway/in-town driving.

I couldn't find anything that sold for $5K more that I would prefer over the Elantra.
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    Buying a car in a state different from your own can be tricky. I noticed that dealer is going to charge you sales tax. Now, this is tax in NY. When you will be registering your car in another state, they will make you pay taxes again. So you end up paying tax twice. To avoid paying tax twice, you have to talk with dealership and convince them not to charge you sales tax. If you do so, they may not honor the price. Though they may not honor the price for whatever reason. I ended up paying 500$ more then what we agreed over the phone:( Dealer also knows that you don't want to drive 30 miles for nothing.