Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    > > By the way, tb88, The 2002's must be close to the docks -- > >

I don't know if it was a good thing I didn't wait for the 2002... because I read a review which was not very flattering about the new "shiftronic tansmission":
    "All Sonatas receive a new 4-speed shiftronic transmission which permits manual shifting as well as automatic shifts. The incredibly smooth shifting transmission of the previous Sonata would be hard to beat and my first impression is that the shiftronic isn't quite as smooth in automatic mode, but nevertheless an excellent transmission. And manual shifts were a bit lazy."

I think I will try Zaino, if it does't require too much work to apply... but the problem is which one? they list several products! Also how much (oz) do you need?

• baberbaber Posts: 96
    I have never had the engine light go on with our 99 Elantra, but I have had the check engine light go on in my 99 Accent twice. Both times just after I overfilled the tank when I tried to top off the tank. The check engine light came on a few hours after I over filled the tank both times. I ended up resetting the check engine lamp by pulling the fuse marked ECC (engine computer?), and then reinstalling the fuse. This reset the computer that controls the engine. In both cases the check engine light went off and stayed off. Since then I never top off my tank when refueling, I always stop when the pump stops and make sure the cap is reinstalled tightly.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I was told by the tech that if it's on and glowing steady it's no big thing. If it flashes THEN it's serious.
  • The new "shiftronic transmission" is on the 2002, right? Since the review was not very flattering, it looks like you made the right decision in purchasing a 2001, especially since the review was favourable for the 2001 transmission. I have "autostick" on my 300M -- it's not much more than a novelty, but it comes in handy on twisting mountain roads.

Re Zaino -- the only products you need are the base (I think that's Z-1) to prepare the car's finish for the polish application ( I think it's Z-2 or Z-5, depending on clearcoat or regular paint). I also use their car wash concentrate.

The base and the polish go on very lightly with their applicator. You can put on as many coats of the polish as you want -- each coat increases the gloss. You should probably get 12-15 coats from one bottle -- probably enough for 3 years or more. I have never removed an old application, just put on another coat.

Read the info on their web site, they give you many helpful hints!

BTW, I agree that the "check engine" light is not worthy of lemon law arbitration, but it can be very frustrating. In virtually every manual, they fail to indicate what the problem could be, and just tell you to have the vehicle serviced. However, it can be a more serious problem with emmisions control, etc. I had an '89 Chevy Caprice that gave me these warnings just before the catalytic converter seized and had to be replaced. It was out of warrannty and expensive!
  • elantra00elantra00 Posts: 225
    My engine light came on about 3 times. Everytime I call the dealership to call for an appointment, it goes out! However, the third time that it did this, I still brought it in. Turns out it had a stored code that showed that the oxygen sensor was bad. Kept working and then not working. Thats what made the light go on and off. All fixed now..under warranty. Not a big deal.
  • jxs81jxs81 Posts: 26
    I brought the car in today, and I was told the gas cap was loose. That's a kind of surprising because I did remember to get it click at least three times. And I filled the gas over a week ago. Maybe the cap can get loose by itself after some driving? Anyway, I'll try the gas cap first next time.

As to arbitration, I'll just forget it for now. Never thought it'd be easy. Just a kind of encouraged by the attorney from attorney general's office. He did say I can apply if it happened the fourth time. Thanks for all the kind advice.
  • danv4danv4 Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2001 5 speed manual Elantra.Does anyone have an opinion on which octane to use?I have heard that higher octane is not good, but wonder why they would make it if it is not good??So far I have 400 miles and have loved every one ! no shimmy, no engine light , just a nice smooth ride. I am hoping to get better mileage soon, right now I am averaging 27, mostly highway, but was hoping for more around 33
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Posts: 211
    Premium grade fuel is PERFECT for cars that require it. It is not by any means no good as you put it.

Read what the owner manual recomends and use it.
  • danv4danv4 Posts: 2
    Well my manual says 87 or higher
  • baberbaber Posts: 96
    The Elantra engine is equipped with a knock sensor that automaticaly adjusts the timing of the engine to the octane rating of the gas being used. This way the Elantra can take advantage of high octane gas with increased engine performance. In practice the average person will not feel the difference in performance between 87 and 93 octane gas.
  • May be a dumb question.

Is it good to use a premium gasoline during break in period and then switch to regular. By doing this does the engine get a better chance to set right?

Thanks in advance.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    The answer is no. About twenty years ago, premium fuel might have had a better detergent mix. Those days are long past. Buying premium has absolutely no advantage unless the compression ratio warrants it.
  • Hey Hyundai Fans - THC is back up.
  • I got some Zaino item #'s mixed up in a previous post(the descriptions were OK). This is what I would suggest for a new car:

Z-1 Pre-cleaner
    Z-2 Polish (for clearcoat)

If you buy the Z-7 car wash concentrate, your total will be $29.85. With a purchase over $25 they will give you a $2.50 cotton polish applicator free.

Total cost, including S&H, would then be $36.80. With the exception of the car wash, this should last you for years.
  • browneybrowney Posts: 104
    The following link explains the difference between wax and polish and has car care tips.

Just an FYI for those of us who didn't know the difference.

http://waxdepot.safeshopper.com/faq.htm#1
  • tb88tb88 Posts: 242
    Thanks Intrepidspirit for the info. Do you WAX your cars?
    The question is : Do you need a WAX on a clear coat paint?

Since I like this car quite a bit ( no problem so far, break-in period almost over 1,180 miles in 10 days), I will use Zaino. It's too bad I didn't get the GLS... I decided against it mostly because there is only 21 hp and 10 torque difference... Next time, hopefully if they are still cheap!

Thanks Browney for the Wax Depot Site...Very informative ... Now I know the difference and which one goes first!

• elantra00elantra00 Posts: 225
    Polish deepens the gloss and makes the paint shine. Wax protects the paint and makes the polish last longer. However, it seems Zaino is 2 in one because it has protectants in it, such as a UV protector from the sun and other stuff. Zaino works well and really makes the paint shine in the sun WITHOUT swirl marks. You need to wax your car whether its clear coat or not. If you don't, the paint could get damaged and the clearcoat can slowly disappear as it did on my friends car. Now he needs a new paint job. Body shop paint jobs NEVER come out as good as the factory because the environment is different, dirt can get suck underneath and there are always runs in the paint. So take care of your paint :)
  • I don't wax my car. As elantra00 says, Zaino already protects the finish. I think I read somewhere on the Zainobros.com site that you did not need a wax...but anyway, I haven't heard of anyone using both Zaino and wax!

Glad you're happy with your new Sonata... :)
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Posts: 1,331
    Just checking in wondering if Hyundai (or the IIHS) has made any progress on figuring out why the Elantra fared so poorly in the offset crash test.
  • aquesadaaquesada Posts: 24
    Looks like you are very interested on the Elantra(more than Elantra owners), Why you don't check for us and let us know the results, because you are the only one who still cares about it.

Oh!.. remember this is an Elantra's forum not an Echo's forum: Get out of here!!!