Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Older Honda Accords

L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Honda Accord 3
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic are
welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    Thanks for the official PR stuff on the 2001 car; if there is really a noticeable difference in road noise [as they claim], then they've got me - I'll be ready to spring for a new one, probably an EXV6 sedan, though the new equipment and trim on the LXV6 means it would work for me just as well. [Problem is they seem to build 20 EXs for every 1 LX when it comes to the 6 cyl cars.] Anyway, thanks for the update.
  • The sedan accord pictures on this site look like the 2000. Anyway, sound like accord engineers are listening to criticism on this site.
    The pictures of both the sedan and coupe clearly show the changes they describe, at least regards the front end and the wheels, which is all we can see. And the Ruby Pearl color on the sedan is new to the EX for this year, as well. You can see the changes in the sedan's grill, hood, and bumper fascia. I like what I see, and even more the description of the interior changes, including making the CD player std in the LX, and the combo cassette and 6-CD changer standard in the EX. Assuming they restrain themselves on price increases, say no more than $300-500, and there really are noticeable differences in road noise, it sounds like nothing but good news...
  • I would like a good first car under $8,000 and newer than '89. If its possible I'd like something sporty like a coupe. Please give me an idea what model year to look for and how much.
  • snowmansnowman Posts: 540
    This is very populat topic along with several others. Because of this reason, we are always at the end of the list. We can not even get the first page easly. At the other side so many slow moving topics are occupying the front page and since I started to read this site (almost two years) they are still there like Stratus, Kia etc.
    Why Edmund's does not give first page to topics with high volume postings. Just an idea but I believe there are many others think like this.
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
    ...click on Last Post at the top of the column of dates. This will sort the topics by order of last post, descending, keeping the most frequented and popular topics at the top of the list. The default sort order is by topic number ascending. I've suggested that we change it. Maybe they will, some day...

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Sedans Host
  • reda2reda2 Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, I have a question for the owners of Accord with ABS ( SE, EX ), I own an SE and I hear a noise when I move the car after been parked, like a steering wheel leak or something, I took it to the dealer and they told me that it's a normal noise and that was the ABS pump pressure or module, I am no sure what he said, but he told me when I'll bring the car for the 35000 miles service, to have someone look at it, well I am asking my self if he says it's a normal noise (which I don't think it is) why would he say to have someone look at it? are they trying to save money or what??? Does any body have this problem? Any comments will be appreciate.
    Thanks

Reda
  • jthukraljthukral Posts: 17
    ABS works on pressure applied on brakes. When u apply pressure as in case of panic braking, ABS will come into picture and you will hear a peculiar kind of sound. If you are coming to a stop at signal and release brake slightly u can hear some sound which is of ABS. SO I guess it should be normal as ABS does makes sounds when presuure is applied and some how you seems to be doing this.
    When firing up the car after shutdown, the ABS system is "tested and cycled" by the electronics. All Honda products with ABS have this characteristic - all of the Acura boards have addressed this noise at one time or another. Sounds to me that the techs are probably right, but diagnosing noises by internet is by definition not possible...
    Thanks for the info guys, jthukral I hear the noise only when I start and accelerate and turn the wheels after been parked, the first time I thought it was the power steering but like I said it's the ABS,,,and jrt I've been driven a 2.3 acura cl ( 1999) and it has the same engine as the accord I am not sure a bout the rest of the parts but I never heard this sound.
    I am wondering...:)

Reda
    As I said, can't do these kinds of diagnoses from the keyboard. You need to try at least one more service dept, and preferably demonstrate with someone else in the car...it's just too hard to make sense of this stuff without hearing it personally...could be CVs, powersteering pump, ???
  • gwill3gwill3 Posts: 2
    I have a similar probrolem with my V6 accord 2000. I can hear a noise when I turn the steering wheel after the car been parked.
  • gwill3gwill3 Posts: 2
    I just bought an 2000 Accord Ex V6 less than a
    month ago, but I already experienced so many problems.

1. with in less than 8 days, the car's ABS fuse got blown up twice when I started the engine! The symptom is that I could not move the shifter out of the parking position. I have to use the mergency keyhole to move the shifter to Neutral, start the engine, and then shift to reverse or drive -- however, ABS won't work and the tail light is not working either when driving in this mode. I went to the dealer, and they suspect a defected brake light switch, which I strongly doubt about! Does anyone else who owns a V6 accord experiences the same problem? is this some kind of design flaw?

2. High pitch noise from passenger side when driving at speed >60m/h. During a humid and hot day, this problem goes away.

I brought the car to the service dept today, and I will see what they about the problem. If you have similar problems before, please share your experience with us ... Thanks.
    Gwill what did the dealer say about the noise you hear (ABS), they told me it was the module of the abs pump (something like that). please keep us posted with your problems.

Reda
    Actually, the diagnosis of a bad brakelight switch sounds right on, to me. It's most certainly not a "design flaw", just one of those luck-of-the-draw problems that happen with mass-produced products. Give them a chance to repair it.
    Well, as jrct said we can't really diagnose noise without driving your vehicle. I suggest u, few things, try to drive some other accord with ABS and see how they behave. Also if ur noise is reproducable u can go to some other dealer.

If case the dealer still fails to acknowledge , u can drive any of his car from the lot to prove ur point.

Hope this helps.
  • yllibyllib Posts: 8
    I got an email yesterday from Autobytel about a recall for the 2000 Accord. The recall is for an arm of the suspension that may be welded incorrectly and break. I haven't received anything from Honda about this recall. Has anyone heard anything about this recall? Is it affecting all 2000 Accords or only ones with a certain build date? The information I have learned is most cars are fine but they can't tell without looking at the car.
  • disp350disp350 Posts: 1
    Is anyone aware of why Honda seems to be giving away Accord SE's? I just got a new one myself and the lease price advertised was $225 for 39 months, 12k per year and $1500 down (I actually got a better deal than that). This special deal applied only to the Accord SE. They would not match it on any other Honda vehicle, including the CRV LX, which had a sticker price of almost $800 lower than the SE.
    Auburn63,

Where did you find that recall information? Thanks
    Thanks Auburn63,

Luckily, my Accord does not fall in that range. I'll post any other information I find out about this recall.
    As the name suggests its a sp Edition and it usually comes every 3-4 yr or so, not a regular stuff. My guess is that have an extra inventory of the SE and they want to get rid of it this year bcos next yr its not going to be there in their site or advt.
  • auburn63auburn63 Posts: 1,162
    I am a Honda tech and have been for 17years and just happened to have a copy of that bulletin at the house..Glad to pass on the info so your welcome.
  • driving my new accord ex-v6 coupe home from dealer-land yesterday with a huge grin on. punching the gas and living every horse in it.
    wait, whats that rattle sound when i move right to left? i dont here it when i move left to right. huh, there it goes again.......think i need to bring it back.....damn.......go to change tunes, whhen i notice my cd's are rattled around in armrest holder. hmmmmm. problem. solved.

rap
    ride safe, y'all ;)
  • rgistrgist Posts: 8
    Where are pictures of the 2001 Honda Accord.
    I heard that the EXV-6 model will finally get the 4 way power passenger seat, and traction control.
    Thanks in advance.
  • mdamesmdames Posts: 79
    Concerning the recall, what is an Accord L4? I have a 2000 EX V6 Sedan. My VIN does fall within the range stated for EX's. My question is: is my car an L4?

Also: On my first tank of gas, some freeway, some street driving with A/C on. I got 17.7 mpg. I drove the car very conservatively. Is this the expected mpg or should it be better?

Thanks
    L4 is 4 cyl accord or one with 2.3 L engine.
    Mileage with improve once u cross the breakin period.
    http://www.vtec.net/news/items/437.html

Site wasn't up when I last looked, but this is where both the pictures and description of the changes were located...
  • I am having the recall done on my Accord EX tomorrow. I will reply back on how it went and if any problem was found.
  • I have a question for Auburn63 or anyone else in the know. My question is, are the Accord V-6 and L4 models still experiencing problems with the tranny(i.e. the clunk)? If so is there a way to tell which ones? I recently test drove an LX V-6 automatic and heard the clunk while moving in reverse. I didn't hear any wind noise and other than the tranny sound, the ride was very nice. I'm at the point where I don't know if I should choose the Solara SE V6. I love the look of the Accord coupes but after reading post after post about all of the problems the auto tranny I'm now in limbo. Do you think the tranny problem has been resolved for the 2001 Accords. I guess I can wait if I know that the defect has been fixed. Thanks.
    I'm tempted to tell you to go back and read all of the archived posts on this topic [some of us are getting really tired of how this keeps coming up], but to keep it short, the transmissions were only a problem on the V6s, and only for a short time in the latter part of 1999 and early 2000 production. Anything made after about April of this year is not a problem, and most before that weren't either, as far as that goes. Try an EX V6 - the cost isn't much more [they routinely sell for less than $23k, no matter what the sticker shows] - there are more of them out there from which to choose, as they are much more common than the LX.

Secondly, don't go to the Solara expecting to be insulated from possible problems - current hits include suspension and alignment troubles, and a pending recall on some cars for rear hub carrier assemblies...see, no manufacturer gets all of them right all of the time...

The Accord will be more responsive and better handling, the Solara a bit quieter and softer riding. The Accord is actually roomier inside and in the trunk...otherwise, there is little to choose here. Just don't deceive yourself that Toyota is somehow more bulletproof than Honda - it simply isn't the case.