Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    again, anon, ALL hondas are allocated BEFORE they are even built. there is NO WAY possible that there is an unallocated accord sitting in the port. another possibility is that its allocated to another dealer, and they are doing an "on-order" trade. unfortunately, its too late to do it that way if the car is already built. once the VIN is registered, its to a specific dealer, and it MUST go to that dealer first. if they are doing an on-order trade, make sure you get an 'order reference number'. each car has one before its built, and its like a "pre-VIN".

again, i reiterate, that they are withholding the name of the dealer so you dont go there and get it from them. its not an uncommon practice, but you should be aware just in case. also, check the VIN when the car gets there. if it starts with a '1', then it was never in a port at all, as thats an ohio car. a japan car will start with a 'J'.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The Accord is now the IIHS's highest rated inexpensive midsize car.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0220.htm

I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the news release should be on Dateline tonight.

• amingaming Member Posts: 119
    I remember a couple of months ago in the comparison forum (altima and accord) I had stated the accord was built to be the safest car out there. And if Honda couldn't make the car the best looking car out there so be it, as long as I survived a car crash better than an Altima...

It has better "numbers" than an Altima, Camry, Passat and the Lexus IS300. Wow!
  • umyayaumyaya Member Posts: 123
    Does this mean I should call my insurance company and ask them to lower my premiums (on my 03)? Wouldn't that be nice!
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The Accord's 3.0L V-6 engine is right up there with Nissan's 3.5L engine in Ward's Automotive 10 Best Engine list.

It's at www.wardsauto.com, but you have to subscribe to view the story. Or go out and buy the magazine.

Also, the new Accord continues as one of C/D's 10Best.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    adding these w/ the SAB and the chipped keys, hopefully the insurance rates should be going down soon. I have an insurance co. quoting me 250 deduc. for about 90/mo. 100/300 liabilities on my '03... full coverage. Not too shabby considering I'm under 25, not married, and would still be with one ticket... =o)
    Hey TB,

I don't understand your abreviations. I just got the EX-V6 with NAVI, with 1000 collision deduct, 500 comprehensive deduct, have no tickets or anything, and am paying 1480 a year on it. Anyone know if that's good or bad? I'm with Erie and am 23yrs old. Again, as I have a perfect driving record, perfect credit score (which sadly they now use), etc., any one got an idea what I should be paying (if diff. from my current rate), and companies to call?

"I have an insurance co. quoting me 250 deduc. for about 90/mo. 100/300 liabilities on my '03... full coverage."
  • jud95accordjud95accord Member Posts: 58
    I have an 03 Accord V6 4 door and my insurance is $916.00 a year with 500 ded/compr and 500 ded/coll. I just received 100.00 reduction for having a good driving record for 5 years. The insurance costs really differ in different states, with multi cars and your age bracket. I live in the Houston area where the insurance is very high but I am also over 40! Maybe that helps.

What part of the country are you in? My dealer in Houston has not received any Nav-equipped cars yet.
  • sschilfsschilf Member Posts: 63
    I am about to send a FAX to all the Honda dealers I have talked with about the 03 Accord EXV6 Sedan. Please let me know any suggestions you have to the below rough draft of the FAX I plan to send out.

Thanks

Yesterday, showed me the 2003 Accord EXV6 Sedan.

Based on my research on this car, I know the invoice is $23,215 with a 3% of MSRP ($25,800) manufacturer's holdback.

I am in market of buying this model with cash this month for my family. I will purchase one with less then 10 miles for $22,500 excluding only taxes and tag. I am not interested in any interior/exterior packages nor the wind deflector for the sunroof.

Please let me know if we have a deal.

I appreciate your time and I look forward to becoming part of the Honda family.

• cds12cds12 Member Posts: 139
    The Accord received the top rating in the offset crash test.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Quoting your personal auto insurance premium on this board is useless. It is very dependant on area and the individual's history.

Don't expect insurance companies to change rates based on these crash results or chipped keys.
    In a few years, if they have fewer injury claims, collision claims and theft claims, then they will think about lowering the rates.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    $93/month, comprehensive, 30 year/married, $500 deductible, 0 tickets/violations in Dallas on 98 Accord.

Safer cars will get discounts. I remember reading about reduction in rates of some cars (including Civic, Integra and Accord) by a company due to reduced claims and lower risks.
  • crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    For my '01 Accord EX Sedan, it's under $600 per year, thru State Farm. As others have said, it varies greatly on:

1) Where you live
    2) How much you drive
    3) Your age/marital status
    4) Driving record/Credit score
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    from Forbes Magazine - they like it a lot.

http://www.forbes.com/2002/12/09/cx_mf_1209test.html

• bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the holdback IS NOT 3% of MSRP, it's 2.5% of INVOICE on 4-cyl models, and 3% of INVOICE for v6 models.its only a matter of 60 or 70 bucks, but it can mean the difference between a deal or not.

i dont care what you buy the car for, but my recommendation is to leave the dealer at least a couple hundred in profit. if you beat them up, they will never be there for you if you need help. take dealer cost, decide what is a fair profit, and make that your offer. if you beat them up over a couple hundred dollars, you may be messing up potentially good service in the future.

just my $.02
  • mdx_kidmdx_kid Member Posts: 33
    Car and Driver chose Honda Accord alongwith Mazda6 to their new top10 List. They were very impressed by the new upgrades to the model and in the news last night on CNBC the chief editor for car and driver said "they have made all the controls from a air to actual engine really smooth and everything works in perfect unison. The new features definitely set the benchmark in family class segment and are normally available in higher priced cars."

Also they mentioned on C&D website "The Accord's secret has been a combination of solid construction, agile handling, optimal use of interior space, flawless ergonomics, and outstanding powertrains. Redesigned inside and out, the new Accord maintains those traditions and adds a bit of 21st-century flash with new LED instrument illumination."
  • gotribegotribe Member Posts: 101
    In terms of holdback, did you slip a decimal place? 3% of say a $20,000 invoice is $600, not $60 or $70. Also, I agree dealers need to make a prorfit. But I dont believe that dealers are so efficient that the sales dept. and the service dept. can connect and provide better/worse service depending on the amount someone paid. I think that's just absurd. When you bring a car in for service, does the service guy look up the profit on the new car sale and act on this information? I dont think so!!!
  • cds12cds12 Member Posts: 139
    In terms of holdback, did you slip a decimal place?

Reread Bowke's post
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    From Wards article:

but why would dealers give cars away for less that cost? Good luck. $24,000 is fair deal on EX V-6.
    INKY

"Rounding out the new entrants to the 10 Best Engines list is Honda Motor Co. Ltd. and its power-rich 3L DOHC V-6 that propels the new-for-'03 Accord. At 240 hp, the new Accord V-6 is one of the most power-dense V-6s ever made for a production vehicle
  • beechmanbeechman Member Posts: 36
    Regardless of what the holdback % is, there is NO way that a dealer is going to take an offer of over 700 dollars under invoice seriously. Why would a dealer sell the car to you at virtually no profit, when people buy them all the time at prices over invoice?

Dealers may have more motivation to make a deal at the end of the year, but I doubt if they'll be motivated enough to sell that cheaply. I'd take a look at the Edmunds "TMV - True Market Value" for starters, and rethink the offer. Carsdirect.com can offer some pricing guidance as well.
    Whenever sending faxes or attempting to contact internet sales managers, sales managers, DON'T mention this or that sales person. The reason you are dealing with the managers is because they can do the best deal... and they can do it because they are concerned about sales #'s, etc, and don't have to pay a salesman commission. If a salesman at one particular dealership was the one who totally took the time to show you the car, test drive it, etc., then at his dealership I might mention him, but otherwise, there's a reason your "cutting out the middle man."

Mentioning holdback, as Edmunds mentions, doesn't score you any points either. They know what they're making, they'll assume you know "enough," and don't need you sounding aggressive. As for what to send in a fax, here's a copy of what I used to contact dealers, and have posted earlier. Hope this helps... Alter as necessary.

To be sure we have no confusion I will address all my questions to you following the Carbargains outline I apply towards all dealers. I am willing and able to purchase the EX-V6 NAVI in Black with Birds Eye look trim, or Graphite Pearl as soon as I find a reasonable offer. I will not share your price with other dealers, nor will I agree to any sale until I have received from you in writing (email is acceptable) answers to the following questions.

I'm contacting each dealer on my list and asking what each wants as a markup or markdown from factory invoice cost. You have quoted me $25,479, plus $100. To be sure all quotes are on the same basis I need to go over with you exactly what charges show up on your out the door price. Is the it the $25,579 listed above or do you plan to add a dealer advertising fee, dealer prep fee, port charges, other miscellaneous charges. And how much do you plan to charge for each? You have stated you have no doc. fees, will there be any dealer add-ons you expect to charge for, wheel locks, ect., for which I have no interest? If you do not have above color will you exchange for it, or order it, and will you add a fee for that? For how long will your offer be valid?

My intent is to be as straight forward and honest with you as possible and avoid unnecessary confusion, I hope your answer to the above questions will bring us to the end of any necessary negotiations. Thank you for your time.
    I know there are many factors which impact insurance, but again, except that I am 23, I should recieve the lowest rate I would imagine. Since getting my license 7+ years ago, I have never been pulled over, for anything, or hand an accident. I live in Maryland, and store my car in one of the safest areas in the state. So I'm just asking if anyone has ideas as to in MD, for example, what I should be paying. 1480 seems a bit high given what I'm hearing from others, and the only think I can think of for the difference is where I live, and that I'm not 24 yet, which is the age at which my company would then drop in in half. I just want to know if it's seems I should shop around.

Someone earlier (jud95accord) asked where I got my NAVI. I got it at Jim Coleman in Clarksville, MD. It was a very good experience and I would recommend others in the area who are looking at least give them a shot. I went through internet salesman Johnathan Barnswell. I paid 25,579 for the EX-V6 NAVI, which I think is good. It may have helped that it was at the end of the month. Either way, the sales experience was still very pleasant and I have had good follow-up experiences with them since. So I'd ignore the earlier post about your service, pay what you want, just be as fair and straight with them as you would hope they will be. I sent my asking price, got thier offer in writing, and as stated in my email (and post above), I then came in that night ready to go. I did not then ask for any additions, as I wouldn't accept them doing the same. So be honest, but stick to your price.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Go to one of the online insurance comparison sites, and give it a shot. Call GEICO - they love people with clean records. That ought to give you at least half a dozen quotes against which to benchmark your current situation.

Asking for numbers here is just too random - no industry is more fragmented and secretive about pricing than insurance. I could tell you what I pay, but so what? Get some quotes that are specific to your situation.

• s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Can you play a music CD and use the navigation system at the same time?
  • gyegye Member Posts: 31
    Such an eye opening.
    From now on when I take test drive, I'll not be over cautious and afraid extra wear on the new engine at full throttle.
  • leonardmpleonardmp Member Posts: 14
    Thank you fjb323 for the insight. I have heard of that too. But I was just wondering, what's stopping a Honda dealership from doing the same thing? If you find that your drain plug is stripped from a quick lube place, I would think you have the same case of negligence against them as you would against a Honda dealership.

I actually sat below and watched them do everything. Honda doesnt even let me on their shop floor.

I agree with you on one point though, I feel a Honda dealership has Honda parts that fit much better for oil changes. (But this is what some Honda mechanics told me)

Any comments from anyone?
  • odiemuttodiemutt Member Posts: 15
    Just bought an LX, 5sp, iVTEC4 car. Test drove it and I find the performance quite impressive. At 160HP it got plenty of power for this car, especially when coupled with the 5sp.

I've always driven a manual so I'm happy with the 5sp. More people should consider this car. It's got the most bang for the buck and the dealers are selling them several hundreds below invoice... probably because the demand for 5sp is so low.

So many here are looking for the 6 cyl version. Be sure to test drive the 4 cyl version, I think you'll find it quite peppy enough. Be realistic, few people will push the car to it's limits on curvy mountain roads as the car reviewers for Car&Driver,
    Road&Track, etc do.

The 4 cyl version is cheaper and gets better fuel economy.

While I'm at it, why buy the EX vs the LX? Sunroof? Although a sunroof is nice, I don't think it worth $800 or so when you only open it a couple times a year. Plus, I don't like the loss of headroom. The main feature an EX has is the rear disc brake, I'd like to have that.
  • 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    "Be sure to test drive the 4 cyl version, I think you'll find it quite peppy enough. Be realistic, few people will push the car to it's limits on curvy mountain roads as the car reviewers for Car&Driver,
    Road&Track, etc do."

I felt the same way. In fact, I have read the magazines mention that the 4 cyl. is less nose heavy and better balanced thru the twisties.. As for LX vs. EX, I felt the EX did not have enough "must-have" items to justify the extra expense. And I like the reduced Bling-Bling factor of the bolt-on wheel covers versus alloys from a theft standpoint.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    But I wanted keyless remote, which wasn't standard then, and a couple of other features. Ultimately it ended up that an EX V-6 would be a better deal. I thought that the sunroof and automatic climate control were marginally useful bells and whistles, but I particularly like the climate control now that I've used it.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    So I had to have an EX. It was rough not getting the NAV for the personal ooh aahh factor of it and the extra display. Bought a EX-L 5 speed coupe.
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    I bought LX-V6. And I drove I4 before. This is going to be my wife's and family car. My wife doesn't drive stick, therefor car has to be automatic.
    So after test drives we went with V6 and not because of power, but because it was significantly more quiet. We really wanted end up with I4 because it would safe CDN$3K and safe more on gas. But for family car we wanted one to be as quiet as possible. We looked at Camry, but with all options we wanted we would need XLE version which is $1500 more in 4 cyl version than Accord LX-V6. So, here we go. BTW, V6 is so SWEET.
  • darmarmdarmarm Member Posts: 14
    I now have over 2000 miles on my new LX
    4cyl and it runs great! It has plenty of pickup
    speed in city traffic, controls beautifully, and I
    get 27 mpg in the city. I paid invoice for it but
    was charged $399 extra for the KARR system.
    Has anyone had a similar experienc, paying
    additionally for the KARR Security System,
    model 4040?
    Hey, you can use the cd player, which is 6 disc, while using the NAVI as it is based on a dvd mounted in the trunk. When you hit the button on the stearing wheel to give voice commands it mutes the radio, etc. so there's no interference there. Works quite well.
  • ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    is a matter of personal choice given the basic car is the same. I open the sunroof when ever I can and I like the 6-disc changer. I'd even think of about an EX-L if someone can tell me how effective the dual zone climate control is...
    I just tried the dual zone climate control on a recent test drive and it was awesome. The reason I'm so excited is the usual issues between a man and woman when it comes to tempratures. My wife always wants more heat to the point my eyes feel like they are on fire. So, I had to check out the dual zone climate control in the new accord. She cranked hers up and I cranked mine totally down and the results were perfect. The Temp was split right down the middle of the car. I don't know how the rear is affected though.
  • ickes_mobileickes_mobile Member Posts: 675
    road trips with my wife become tiring exercises in adjusting the temp. Worst of all is she's never consistent. One minute its too hot, then too cold. UUGGGGHHHH!!!!
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    LX is pretty good, power options, all the base creature comforts.

EX adds "courtesy lighting" (very nice in a 5MT), Sunroof, Side Air Bags, Electronic Brake Distribution, Rear Disc Brakes, "upgraded cloth", 6disc changer, and I belive steering wheel audio controls or CC, not sure which and power up/dn for driver seat for about 2k

EX-L adds to the EX Leather interior, panels, etc. Dual A/C(g/f loves it, hopefully can get it next time) 8way power driver seat, ext. temp sensor, and heated seats for about 1300.

I would have easily gotten the EX-L, but when I was buying, there were no 5MT EX-L in the western states. So I settled for the EX. Perhaps later I will get a 5MT EX-L.
    Hoping the V6-6speed will be a good deal by then. Also it'll be after the mid-run redo.
  • rascalloverascallove Member Posts: 28
    Hey, I'm 18 and my parent are going to buy me a new car under $30,000. Help me choose a car that is reliable, dependable, and has good resale value. I am thinking of getting an 2003 accord coupe EX V6 auto or 2003 acura RSX auto with leather. I am getting auto because I can share that car with people in my family. What car do you think is better and what car is good for a 18year old guy. Please reply!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    And use the rest for furthering your education. Or better yet, don't buy anything and use it all to further your education.
  • bigzheng17bigzheng17 Member Posts: 81
    Is it just me or Pilot looks like CRV? I saw the picture on Edmunds homepage (Pilot road test) and thought it was a CRV until I saw the text below.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...it also looks like an MDX, a Highlander, or any number of other of these things.

Was out jogging this AM and saw a Highlander roll by, and right up until the last second, assumed it was a Pilot.

If unique styling is what you're after, I guess the new Murano qualifies. Or at the other end of the spectrum, the Aztek...otherwise, they all pretty much look alike to me...
    Pick a 4 door (sedan) instead of a Coupe. It'll save you/your parents a ton of money in insurance bills. You might even be able to soup-up the car with the savings.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    bigzheng17,
    CRV is a Honda
    Pilot is a Honda

Any make is going to have family resemblance.
    resemblance is ok, but not to a degree one would think one is the other, I mean, that's why porsch put 911 turbo's headlight on all 911s, because 911 owners don't want people to think they are driving a boxter, right? (ok I know 911 to pilot is apple to orange, but it's the same psychology at work here.)

also some trivia I just noticed. If you scroll to bottom of page, and press Ctrl + a, you can see some text string contain your user name and location id you normally wouldn't see, because they are the same color as background. (yeah it's useless, but interesting to know)
    It's hard to tell them apart without a yard stick.
    though I suspect they are trying to change this, just look at the new and old version of S headlight, compare to C's
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    "If you scroll to bottom of page, and press Ctrl + a, you can see some text string contain your user name and location id you normally wouldn't see"

wow...neato trick
    The trick didn't work for me...

Anyway, as for which car, the RSX of Accord, I'd go Accord for several reasons. Just like with automatic, you can share a sedan easier, get more drunk friends in, get pulled over less, pay less, pay less insurance. It's funny you asked as the only reason I found the Accord was I was looking at the RSX and went to a Honda dealer to see if they had a used RSX. I instantly loved the Accord and stretched my budget to get one... and have no regrets! The Accord will be way faster, and yet I'd bet your insurance is cheaper. See, the auto RSX is 160hp, the Accord is either 160, or 240. I have the 240 and it flies, smooth as silk, and better sound system than you could get in the RSX, since for that you'd have to get the type S which is manual. Just drive the Accord by yourself, so you can put the pedal down, and you will buy it...