Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I have driven MANY Accords and I have no idea what you are talking about in regards to your comments on Accord brakes.
  • Options
    gatrhumpygatrhumpy Member Posts: 126
    In the Accord ('03 and newer), can you have both the In Vehicle Entertainment System and an mP3 player in the lower dash at the same time?

And about the Navigation system playing DVD's, I couldn't agree with everyone more. I once saw a guy in Miami going 110 MPH and watching a movie, which was on his sunscreen visor! Of course, that's Miami for you.
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I agree completely... my 2003 Accord EX V6 exhibits nothing even remotely like those braking issues described by mdconsumer. The braking is extremely smooth. And I've ridden in my neighbor's 2003 LX and it's very smooth as well. Any Accord exhibiting rocking behavior when braking has a defect and needs to be fixed.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i am not sure that whole "rocking" post is that valid. if i test drove a car that made me "sea-sick", i wouldn't even be considering it, ya know? the solution to that problem is buy another car.
  • Options
    mdconsumermdconsumer Member Posts: 14
    Thanks to all who replied. Specifically,

s852 - I kept applying the brakes during the test drive because I thought the harsh recoil braking action was due to rust build-up (these were all brand new cars and rust could have developed when the car has not been driven). I thought the braking would get less harsh as I used it more but it remained the same throughout a 5-to-10 minute test drive. I will keep in mind that perhaps I need to adjust to it.

tblazer503 - EBD might be causing the abrupt, jerky brake action? Gee, what a difficult tradeoff decision to make. I like the features on an EX, though, so I'll have to either live with it or not buy it.

chucko3 - I tried to not step on it as "hard" although I don't consider myself stepping on it hard. Either I was too soft (felt the car not stopping fast enough) or too hard (I got my upper body jerked forward). So I don't know... it seems I might crash into the car in front of me if I consciously tried to not step on it hard. To me, stepping on the brake pedal is a pretty intuitive and straightforward action -- Don't know how much I can vary this. But I will try your suggestion again in my upcoming test drives.

lelandhendrix - I currently drive a 1992 Civic Sedan and know and love exactly what you are talking about --- a very smooth, no-drama braking response. My car (12-yrs old) just stops. With no jerking action whatsoever. And made by Honda also. Go figure.

thanhho - Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel for your regret for buying the 2003 Accord V6. This is precisely what I hopefully can avoid.
    (Perhaps you can sell it and buy the 04 Maxima).

snakehair - The brake force is more a physical irritation (i.e. gives me motion sickness after a short while) than dangerous. I feel it is stopping fine, but just harsh in feeling the recoil-like shock wave.

talon95 - I agree that it should be considered a problem, but the dealer is (of course) pretending there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks again. I have set up a test drive this Thurs with an Accord EX V6 with more mileage on it (with a demo car) to see if the harsh braking becomes more gentle after somewhat more mileage breaking in the brakes. Will let you know. Kevin
  • Options
    akasrpakasrp Member Posts: 170
    Am back to considering '04 EX V6 Accord again. Been shopping for months in the $20-30K range. Nothing (Toyota, Subaru, Nissan, Mazda) grabs me quite as much as the Accord. And it's arguably the best bang-for-the-buck out there.

May be a tired question, but as all V6s are built in US (so I can’t buy a J vin unless I opt for a 4banger) has there been any solid evidence/consensus that US built Accords are every bit the equal of Japan built?
    I hate to be a snob but can't help feeling the Japanese versions have an edge. My '87 J vin Accord Hatch was 100% problem free for well over 100K miles - my US built V6 Camry has ongoing rattles and creaks, broken strut mounts, leaking head gasket, etc etc all in under 40K miles.

Say it ain't so re the US Accords!

~srp
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    JD Powers initial quality survey results unfortunetly seems to back the notion that Japan built Accord are indeed better built than Ohio built Accords.

I visabley notice better built quality myself. I'm able to determine (well most of time) where an Accord is assembled without looking at the VIN or window sticker.

This didn't stop me from getting a V6 Accord however. I did have three green ones to choose from though.

For some reason most people don't actually give their potential car a good look over. Seems crazy to me. Once you drive off the lot, it's yours.
  • Options
    richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    As you surely know, I was scolded for responding to your brake question on the pricing site--no dessert for me tonight! Anyway, I still say the cars you tested should not have been a challenge to stop smoothly:
    I've driven my '04 Accord EX-L, 4 cyl. sedan only about 300 miles, but the brakes apply very smoothly and they're easy to modulate. What you experienced was not normal in my opinion, and the grabbing you described has nothing to do with ABS which doesn't operate unless you brake so hard that a wheel would otherwise lock up. My car was delivered to me with 21 miles on it because the dealer had to make an exchange to get the color I wanted, so the car was driven very little before I took delivery--break-in is not needed for proper brake feel. I suggest you not take delivery of a car with brakes as sensitive as you describe because something's wrong somewhere.......Richard
    #2869 of 2869
  • Options
    veasnalongveasnalong Member Posts: 21
    For car with navigation only To those who interested in watching DVD on your navigation system you need to buy this unit at
    http://www.avelectronic.com/products.htm
    please drive saftly for driver need to pay attention on the road.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No scolding, just housekeeping. Thanks for coming over here, and do go have your dessert! :)
  • Options
    rueshanrueshan Member Posts: 32
    I also noticed that the brakes on my 2004 Accord were a bit more sensitive than the brakes on my 1998 Civic and my 2000 Galant LS. However, it only took a minute or two to adjust to them. Now, its not an issue... in fact I prefer the Accord's brakes to the other cars. Driving the Accord is an absolute pleasure, in fact my sub-10 minute commute just isn't long enough...
  • Options
    Thanks, Pat. Just returned from dinner with friends--no dessert--walked to the restaurant so I wouldn't drive my fantastic, new Accord after drinking :D. Now, with resptect to braking and staying on topic, my last car ('91 Protegé Mazda) had good brakes--no grabbing. Last month I helped drive a friend's Volvo S60 (fine car) on a 1000 mile, round trip to Palm Springs from San Fran. I can tell you that grabby brakes are not typical of any good car--by all means, buy an Accord, but get one with brakes that modulate smoothly.......Richard
  • Options
    tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    there is a way to disable it, but I'm not tellin =o)....

anyway, it is very illegal to have it done, and like the others, what would you do with a video screen that you can't possibly watch while giving your complete attention to the road?

The only DVD system's that I know of that don't have an interlocked safety on them are the ones mounted behind the driver.

If you have a reaaly good reason to disable the feature and want to put yourself at a huge risk for a traffic citation, give me an email and I can try to tell ya how to figure it out, but you will need schematics to do it... not too difficult.
  • Options
    I was headed to the store today, and got in the car, thought I forgot something so I hit the brakes to turn around and slammed my head into the windshield. now my windshield is broke, and I have a headache.

Just kidding... =o) never had that happen, but people seem to be so concerned with stiff brakes. =o) Personally, I like them, so does my fiancee who is used to driving camry's(notorious for weak brakes). In all honesty, the brakes are IMO stiffer than some brands. My fiancee didn't believe me when I said the brakes were stiff until she drove it home from IHOP one morning. She had just turned onto a road, and some butthead decided he had enough room to cut us off, so she hit the brakes(my head almost hit the windshield that time)... and I never heard a complaint about the stiff brakes since... lol
  • Options
    lelandhendrixlelandhendrix Member Posts: 240
    I laughed hysterically at your last post.

Simply stated, the brakes are something that have been easy for me to get used to. I wouldn't change a thing on my car right now.
  • Options
    since when is having capable brakes a bad thing???
  • Options
    aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    next time bring someone else with you on the test drives and have them drive the car also. See if they think the brakes are grabby also.

Even get the salesman to drive it also. Does the car lurch the same when the other two drivers brake?

If so it its the car, if not then its your foot.

That's not a bad thing just reality.
  • Options
    hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    When I first bought my Accord, I lurched around a bit too, because I was used to the sluggishness and slow braking of my 10-year old Camry.

As soon as I learned to use lighter pressure on the gas and brake pedals, everything was fine.

While you shouldn't be getting seasick in your car, it may just be that you don't need as much pressure as you do with other cars.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Good brakes are good, hypersensitive brakes are not.
  • Options
    sure, i just think this whole brake thing is a little "iffy". if the car makes you seasick, don't buy it. am i right? i still have no doubt in my mind that any motion sickness is related to the person, not the car :) and i feel bad for someone that is sick, but blaming the car just seems a little silly to me.

the Accords brakes are fine. there would be lawsuits, recalls, 60 Minutes expose's, etc, if anything other than good safe brakes were one of the top selling cars on the planet.
  • Options
    jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I saw a 2003 Accord DX for the first time today. It didn't look that bad in silver.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Also when test driving a new car the tire pressure can be off if the PDI guy doesn't check it or adjust it to manufacturers specs. Pressure should be 32 but my 03 coupe was at 40. My 04 Accord sedan was fine but our 03 SI was also at 40. Makes a HUGE difference in driving, handling, and braking.
  • Options
    4wheeler54wheeler5 Member Posts: 5
    Strange thing....going down the highway I lose my power assist steering and alternator, check for a seized altenator pulley etc. and find he lower large pulley all but off and the belts unbroken. Called Honda Canada and complained - they said whats the milege -150 km? TOO BAD!LONG STORY SHORT, I had to purchase a new Harmonic balancer ($225) and have it installed ($100)
    Thanks Honda, I'll save half the price of the car and get a Neon next time!
  • Options
    So you'd rather replace an engine and risk serious injury in a crash than replace $325 part? Makes sense.

To be fair your Accord is 5 years old. Sounds like a very minor repair with a very major overreaction.
  • Options
    okay, 93,208.2 miles for anyone with a calculator and conversion chart. =oP

that's pretty unusual 4wheeler... even at 93k miles. If I remember correctly, the harmonic balancer on the engine is held on by about a 1.25" nut which should also have a thread lok compound on it. Since it seems that the crankshaft didn't split, I would guess the nut just "fell" off. talk about a freak occurance... should have still been able to put it back on in like 15min. well, plus the 45min for the other belts, correct tension, etc.

BTW... i believe at about that 90k miles mark, you are probably due for a timing belt change. whoo hoo...
  • Options
    That'll solve his problems!
  • Options
    acura_fantacyacura_fantacy Member Posts: 5
    4wheeler, you said 150km, that's roughly 100 miles with a 99 Accord, I assume you fat-fingered it.

And with a Neon, you'll probably sink $5000 for parts before you reach 150K km if that car can hold up till then. I don't know what you were smoking but if you really think Honda is gonna cover it after 5 years and 150K km, why don't you build your own ride! Give me a break
  • Options
    lkllkl Member Posts: 11
    I've had my Accord for less than 24 hours but I have already put 100 miles on it and I've had no problems with the brakes. I went from an SUV to the Accord so I thought it would be a difficult adjustment but it wasn't. In fact, I drove somewhere I'd never been last night and because I didn't realize the the exit ramp was curved and I was zipping along I had to apply my brakes quickly in order to not go off the freeway and into a field. I was HAPPY for the quick response. My SUV wouldn't have faired as well AND I did not hit my head against the windshield. No damage. Whew! I am driving much more carefully now and not entirely trusting my Navigation system to take me on the most direct route. It makes some odd choices. Anyone else had that problem?
  • Options
    mdconsumermdconsumer Member Posts: 14
    Richard - I did not know you were verbally chastised also re my post -- I'm sorry about that. I test-drove two more Accord EX V6 today: One (a manager/demo car) with 700 miles on it and a brand new car. The brakes' recoil action was less harsh on the demo car than the new one, prompting me to speculate that maybe the brakes get "broken in" in regard to this condition. I was going to get an Accord ordered, but now I'd like to pick one actually on the lot (which is tough with the V6 NAV because they are rare) and test drive that car (to ensure the brakes are tolerable), and then sign the sales contract. (If I order an Accord, I was told I'd need to put down a $500 deposit, something I'd prefer not to do without test driving it first). I'm glad to hear you also suggest this in your other post. Thanks again. Kevin
  • Options
    Today I drove four different Accords. I tried my very best to see if I could feel this brake "problem" I had never heard of before.

I'm clueless...
  • Options
    kimodokimodo Member Posts: 44
    Just installed Ipod in my car today, via SNHON3 aux thing. Bad thing is, you lose XM, cause stock stereo only has one aux input, and apparently that is being used by XM. Anyone know anyway to do it so as to not lose XM?
  • Options
    bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    I think forfeiting the car for having a TV on the dash is a little harsh. Instead, they should have to sit in their car and watch Barney re-runs for a month.
  • Options
    hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    ...and let's add the people who have their newspapers splayed across the steering wheel for easy reading while driving...
  • Options
    hondasellertxhondasellertx Member Posts: 35
    Forfeiting the vehicle for an illegal video system that poses a significant threat to the general public's safety isn't too tough. Perhaps forfeiting driving priveleges for life would be too tough, perhaps not. If the public at large doesn't want the risk associated with a driver so significantly distracted and the law prohibiting that modification is well known then there's no excuse and no reason not to lose your car.

We're only going to turn things around when we place consequences that are harsh enough to deter unwanted behavior. You can't legislate against objects and succeed. You can only legislate acceptable behavior and acceptable usage of inanimate objects. The object isn't and never will be bad. Only the user has the possibility of being bad and the Honda NAV system is sooooooo incredibly NOT bad but playing video's in sight of the driver is VERY BAD regardless of what system is playing them.
  • Options
    03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    Back in the early days of my 03 LX accord, I usually hear a grinding noise from the right front side of the car when I first start it. Many people say it is ABS noise.

But now at 4500 miles, I noticed that I did not hear that grinding noise anymore.

I don't believe I have suffered that much due to the wind noise from my Honda. So what is going on here? Anybody has similar experience? Thanks.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    People seem to be just as idiotic when smoking or drinking (non-alcohol of course) while driving...I am sure those activities have caused and will cause more wrecks than all the navs and video systems ever made. If you are going to punish for one, you better punish for all.
  • Options
    I have seen aftermarket stereos that have a screen that slides out and flips up against the dash that play dvds and even have a tv-tuner. Those are certainly just as dangerous, and there's nowhere else for the screen to go but to pop up right in front of the driver.
  • Options
    The car is overall leaps and bounds quieter than the last generation (6th). I have also noticed that now I'm at 7000 miles I don't hear as much noise while braking as I once did.

However I still have that loud "Clack" when braking for the first time after starting the car, which is apparently the calipers "waking up."
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i think that strange noise is the abs self test...but come to think of it...i haven't noticed the sound recently. maybe i just got used to it...?
  • Options
    jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    The edmunds invoice has to be wrong.

According to edmunds:

2003 Accord EX-V6: MSRP $26260, Invoice $23675
    2004 Accord EX-V6: MSRP $26890, Invoice $24704

Now, why would MSRP go up by $630 while invoice goes up by $1029? Doesn't make any sense.

According to:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 37579

the invoice for 2004 EXv6 is $24244.

Now, $24244 plus $460 is $24704, which is Edmunds' invoice. It seems that Edmunds added on the old destination of $460 to the $24244, which already includes the new destination of $490.

I think Edmunds should correct the error, since a lot of people rely on their posted invoice prices when bargaining with dealers.

Any moderators out there?
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    According to www.cars.com,
    the invoice price for 2004 EX V6 is
    $24244 (destination included).
  • Options
    4wheeler54wheeler5 Member Posts: 5
    Please-objective opinions please. Honda vechicles are good, but not the end all in engineering. If a harmonic balancer/main pulley falls off, especially if the bolt hold it to the crank hasn't been touched (no timing belt change yet - but soon!) it's VERY discouraging. Combined with the fact I've gone through 3 pairs of front rotors ($90. ea which is unbelieveable!) thus far and 5 sets of pads...I'm not overly impressed with this car. The wind noise is terrible as well at highway speeds. I've had 2 previous Hondas ( Preludes) which were ok. I think this is my last Honda. Neon was a stretch, however - Nissan, Toyota or a Chev Impala isn't. I hope this doesn't bring out your crying towels - just my objective opinion. CIAO!
  • Options
    You had to make a $300 repair on a 5 year old car. Get over it.

As for the brakes, here in the US you can buy pads at any parts store and receive lifetime replacement.

You think you are going to do better with another car? Best wishes.
  • Options
    I agree they aren't a stretch (in fact, they're very valid alternatives), but for the characteristics that many Accord buyers are looking for, the Impala is way off the mark.

Overly soft underdamped ride (think Buick, bigtime), ponderous luxo-boat handling and interior pieces that look like they came from a trash bin... as harshly as the interior of the Altima has been criticized for materials quality, it's still way better than the Impala.

Yes, physically the Impala will do the same job as the Accord, but for most it'll be a significant step down in driving dynamics and refinement from an Accord, Camry or Altima. The Impala is very definitely vintage late 90's GM, which isn't a good thing. At least the 2004 Malibu is a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    If you have gone through FIVE sets of brake pads in 100,000 miles, you are a hard driver or you drive in an area like downtown San Francisco.

I've never heard of a harmonic balancer falling off but anything CAN happpen. No, it shouldn't have done this.
  • Options
    jebinc1jebinc1 Member Posts: 198
    To all who have been following my tranny saga -

Quick Recap - Took car in for 3750 oil change and asked a question about my tranny to service (double engagement and slight delay getting to "D"). Service replaced the transmission and the new one (as well as every other one on the lot) did the same thing. This is NORMAL. As a result of the swap, service created other problems. Dealer indicated that they would find me an '04 to replace the '03 and make me whole on the '03.

Final Chapter - They did just what they said. I picked up a brand new EX V6 XM/Navi sedan yesterday! What dealership is this you ask? Lynnwood Honda (WA). I would rate them very highly for sales and overall customer support/satisfaction! Rick F. in the internet sales is the best salesman that I have ever dealt with. Give him a call if you need a car and live in the Seattle area.

Things I noticed about the 04 that are different than the 03 -- The 04 has;

... a seat belt warning system and automatic front air bag deactivation system when a passenger weighs less than 65 lbs

... an upgraded Navi DVD and software (20030629). For example, elevation is now accurate to 10 feet. The 03 rounded to the nearest hundred feet.

... XM is really nice. I never thought I would ever pay for radio, but I just might when the free three month OEM package expires. Great integration with Navi system!

... The drivers seat hip support is much softer. Electric seat are smoother running. On the 03 the seat edge was very firm/stiff. My 03 electric seats chattered as if a gear was missing a tooth

... NO RATTLES in the 04. The 03 that I had was a rattle trap.

... The car suspension seems more compliant and it feels to me to ride much smoother AND quieter. Perhaps this is all in my head, but I don't think so. I think some dampening was incorporated to reduce the rattling issues.

... Fit and finish seems much improved (tight gaps). The 03 was made in July, just prior to the retooling for 04. The tooling used on the early 04's might have better tolerances and run out then at the end of the run for the 03's (after 400,000 copies)

Well, that's about it. Questions are always welcome.

jebinc1
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    As I mentioned in the other place you posted that message, I have reported it - thanks.
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I honestly don't think you are going to do better any better with a Nissan, Toyota or a Chevy. A car is a car and a car has mechanical problems because it is man made.

With the 04 V6 there is that much of a price increase? I'm surprised at that. You can get a Lincoln LS with the same amount of equipment that you get and same buying price with the Accord EX-V6. Not that I would buy a Lincoln though. I'm just just surprised at the price increase from 03 to 04 for the Accord. The day the Accord hits at a sticker price of 30K is the day I hit the floor.

I know this guy who was telling me the other day that he went to a Honda dealership and the salesman told him they were selling Accord's at MSRP. I told him no thats wrong. I told an Accord sells for 500 dollars over invoice and thats it. If a Honda salesman told me an Accord sold at MSRP I would laugh. A car that sells 400,000 copies a year sells at MSRP? You have to be kidding me.

Finally, with the Impala the interior is cheap but quality/reliability has been very good. Even CR rates the reliability of the Impala above average.
  • Options
    "Finally, with the Impala the interior is cheap but quality/reliability has been very good. Even CR rates the reliability of the Impala above average."

According to the latest results on their website, for 2003 models, they rate the Accord's predicted reliability as much better than average, while they rate the Impala as average.
  • Options
    GM had a test drive event a few months ago in which their cars as well as others were available to drive on a very short pylon course--really too short a run to get out of 2nd gear, but helpful anyway. I had sold my '91 Mazda Protege and was about to buy something, so the test was worthwhile. A Mercedes C-Class I really wanted to drive was pulled out of the test--I was told that its electric seat failed. A Saab had a power seat that didn't work either--other cars were fun to drive through the course. The new Chevy Malibu is a nice, but drab-looking thing that drove pretty well. GM was a good host and I'd like to buy a GM car--a Chevy, Buick, and Pontiac are all past cars I've had. I also bought GM stock in a fit of temporary insanity over 20 years ago (it does pay a good dividend, though!). The biggest mistake GM made was to include a Honda Accord among the cars available to drive. In my view it outclassed all the others just sitting in it--driving one seals the deal in my view.......Richard