Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• Options
    medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    Here's what you do -- at your next fillup, record the number of miles driven on this tank and divide it by the number of gallons it takes to fill up. If you figure it's upwards of 50 or 60 MPG, you should probably get it looked at.
  • Options
    eebk17eebk17 Member Posts: 5
    I have a brand new SUN VISOR (driver's side) for a 1997 (and like models) Honda Accord EX. I also have a SUNROOF VISOR. I only had it 2 months before I traded my accord in. Now it is no good to me. I also have a brand new bottle of Eucalyptus Green Pearl TOUCH UP PAINT.

Please e-mail eebk17@yahoo.com if interested.
  • Options
    scape2scape2 Member Posts: 4,123
    I own a 5spd LX Accord also. The shifting is a bit notchy but doesn't bother me or my wife personally.. I have read on other web sites that the "notchy" feeling tends to go away after a while. I guess we will see..
    Tar, with the amount you say you have, get it done at the detailer. The Bug and tar remover sold at car stores will work, but it takes a whole lot of elbow grease. If you do it yourself make sure you put a high quality wax on afterwards. And if you have the detail shop do it make sure they do the same.
    I have a friend in the car brokerage business. He claims that the older, pre 1997 Honda's are slipping in resale value. He claims people want the "larger" size Accords now.. On the other hand he also says it depends on what part of the country you live in can make you thousands or lose you thousands...
  • Options
    surfing19surfing19 Member Posts: 46
    Hey Guys, I have a 98 Honda Accord EX, 4clyd with Leather. I noticed my seatbelt on the driver side is making the most Annoying squeaking noice.

I took my car into honda to get the noice repair under warranty. Of course the nice honda dealership said they couldn't recreat the problem.

I drove my car away from honda, and withtin five minuts i heard the exact same annoying squeaking noice!!!!!.

Has anyone else had this problem??
  • Options
    xfactorxfactor Member Posts: 78
    Who is the Warranty Group? and why are they
    offering to extend my basic Honda accord warranty
    for 1 year for $158.5 dollars.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    silvercoupesilvercoupe Member Posts: 326
    I received a similar unsolicited offer from "Warranty Corporation". I meant to call them
    to get more details, but forgot. Now the deadline to sign up is past. Payments were $79.80 per year on my 2000 LX Coupe.

If you find out more let us know.
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    We have replaced the retractors(seat belt) to get rid of squeaks.We have noticed they tend to make noise when slightly moving or hitting small bumps while wearing the belt.You could also try using a small dab of wax on the anchor point at the top where the belt goes through, that some times works if we are talking about the same noise...good luck
  • Options
    1chefwill1chefwill Member Posts: 4
    i drive a '98 accord 4 cylinders. it has 30k miles now. i noticed that i needed to add oil to my car before the next oil change at around 8k miles. i add about 3/4 of a quart of engine oil now for every 1,000 miles. it's not leaking oil. i believe this is excessive oil burning. i took it to the dealers many times, but they say it's fine. according to them, if it burns one quart of oil for every 1,000 miles, then it's a problem. i say it's a problem now. as the car ages, it will burn more oil.
  • Options
    snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Some companies and dealers like Saturn say this is normal but I would not accept any thing like this. Under normal conditions car should not burn any oil. It is definetely not acceptable for Honda. But I think Auburn will have the answer for you.
  • Options
    markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    I was at my Honda dealer today getting some touch-up paint for my '00 EXV6. They had 2 '01' Accord sedans in, so I finally got to see the restyled rear end. Doesn't look all that different. They had the '01 sedan brochures, but not the Coupes. I scanned in an image of the rear, below. (My first attempt at linking an image in the message. Edmund's help is quite inadequate, so it may not work.)

• Options
    Looking at the brochure, looks like Honda discontinued Signet Silver this year. :( Glad I got a '00. Here's another pic from the brochure.

• Options
    joe111joe111 Member Posts: 28
    Good job Mark. I've been waiting to see what changes were made to the new model. I bought a 2000 EX and I hoped the changes wouldn't make me sorry I didn't wait for the new model. As far as I can tell, the only change to the rear is the color of tail light glass. I know they did change the front a little though.
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    What model is the 3/4 rear view of? I can't make out the model from the picture, although it seems to say EX. I was a bit surprised to see black door handles...

markz2k... could you do a scan of the dashboard? I saw the coupe's dashboard on the Honda site, and it looks like they're replacing some of the black with brushed aluminum. Personally, I like the black better.
  • Options
    moose18moose18 Member Posts: 13
    I remember seeing that Signet silver would be part of the EXV6 lineup for the first time this coming year. It apparently wasn't available in the 2000 Honda V6EX.
    Did the car have traction control and 6 in dash CD?
    Thanks for the info. if you can get it.
    Great pictures above
  • Options
    anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    Just realized that the new silver for this year for the EXV6 is satin silver and not signet silver that was available for the 2000 model. Sorry for the mixup. Satin silver was available on some other Honda models last year (as well as the acura coupe) and is a little lighter of a silver model which I prefer although signet silver is a nice color also.
  • Options
    Talon:
    Sure, I can do a scan of the dash from the brochure tonight. It didn't look any different than my '00, as I remember though. I noticed the black door handles too, can only assume it was a DX.

Moose18:
    The brochure doesn't list Signet Silver at all. As for not being available on the '00 EXV6, I OWN one in that color! And have seen many on the road here in So Cal.

The '01 does have the 6-disc changer, I saw it in the brochure, and the one '01 EX (4-cyl) car the dealer had. I'll have to look at the specs again for traction control, but I'm sure it's listed as it was in the press release.

I'm waiting for my local dealer to get an '01 EXV6 in so I can try it. I'm curious as to how much they really suppressed noise.
  • Options
    Yes, Satin Silver is new for '01. I MUCH prefer the Signet Silver, personally. 2nd choice would probably be Naples Gold. I've never been a big fan of the usual silver color. It's one of several reasons I got the Sedan instead of the Coupe.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Let me make sure I have this straight - according to the brochure, Satin Silver is a choice for the EX-V6? The Autosite website indicates that Firepepper Red is a new option on the EX-V6, and that Signet Silver had been dropped. Satin Silver is only shown as being available on DX and LX models. I'm curious, since silver would be my first choice. Thanks!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    anonymousanonymous Member Posts: 314
    I am going have to check with the local Honda dealer tomorrow. I was pretty sure that satin silver was added to the lineup for the V6EX but I will get back to you in the next 24 hours when I recheck what the salesman showed me.
  • Options
    couimetcouimet Member Posts: 130
    My much-better half is driving a signet silver 2000 EX v6 as we speak ...

P.S.1. She loves it ...

P.S.2. I have to admit, she made an excellent choice ...
  • Options
    According to my brochure, Satin Silver is available for the 2 V6 models. The only color that is not available in the V6 models is Eternal Blue Pearl. I'll never understand why Honda does that with the colors. What, the blue paint is thicker, so the V6 engine won't fit? I like Signet Silver better, but with that discontinued, the blue might have been a choice, but no, buy the top of the line model, and get fewer choices of color!
  • Options
    Here's the scan of the dash/CD changer. Doesn't look any different than the '00 model, except for the changer, of course.

• Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Is that an EX dash? Looks no different than my 99LX except auto climate and apparently steering wheel stereo controls and 6disc system is different.
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    Thanks for the scan of the dash... I had been lead to believe that it was a bit more changed than that. Other than the different radio, it looks identical to my 2000 EX V-6.

Somewhere it was reported that Honda was going to "flatter" buttons on the climate control (supposedly, it looked more luxurious). That rumor appears to be unfounded.

So, from a styling perspective, I like the 1998-2000 grille better and the new taillights are nice, no better, no worse, just different. No notable changes to the interior styling.

Feature-wise, I must say I would have liked the traction control and the in-dash 6-disc CD changer. That being said, I'm still happy with my 2000. I find the noise control to be just fine.
  • Options
    moose18moose18 Member Posts: 13
    Sorry, but my corrected statement about signet silver never made it to the list. The signet silver will not be back for 2001 V6 but its place being taken by the satin silver. Signet silver was a popular choice the last few years, so I wonder why they changed the silver choice. The brochure should have mentioned traction control also. Did it and on what models?
  • Options
    I agree on the Signet Silver, it's my favorite of all the colors they offered last year. This year, I might have liked the Eternal Blue, but can't have that on the top-of-the-line V6 models. ???

Yes, the brochure shows standard traction control, but only on the 2 V6 models. Guess the 4 doesn't need it.

When they get an EXV6 in, I'll get to drive it around for a little while, so I can see just how much they improved noise level. I'd like to have the new stereo myself, but that's probably the only thing I really care about other than maybe the noise reduction. I certainly don't need a 4-way passenger seat. (Never being a passenger in my car!)
  • Options
    milindcmilindc Member Posts: 123
    Which noise are u talking about ?
    Road-Engine-Wind ??

I know there is excessive wind noise above 45mph.
    There is no engine noise on V6 as such....
    Road noise is due to the tyres....changing for a quiter tyre will dramatically decrease road-noise.

The only question remians what how much did they suppress the wind noise ??

One Humble question:
    Why Accord can't be as quite as Camry ? Feedback from steering & suspension is welcome but does it make wind-noise compulsary ??

Honda being such a fine engg. company can't reduce wind noise ??

~Milind
  • Options
    The availability of satin silver on the EX-V6 is good news to me, since that is probably my favorite color on the Hondas, though lately I've been thinking that I want a beige interior. So, when the time comes, I'll have to choose between the white/beige and silver/charcoal. Anyone have thoughts or opinions on interior color?

By the way, I think they only offered the signet silver for one year (2000). Before that there was the heather mist, which sort of combined gold and silver. I though it was wierd that they dropped the heather mist, since every other Accord I saw seemed to be that color (maybe that's why?). The naples gold is too gold for my tastes. Too bad for the signet silver; it's a nice color. Good for you signet silver owners though - sort of like having a limited edition, huh?

• Options
    gsnc4gsnc4 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

I recently bought a 2000 Accord EX in June--I'm considering adding a 6-disc cd changer to it (in-trunk cd changer). Having this done at the dealership is extremely expensive, and I've found going somewhere else is significantly less expensive. My question is, what's involved in this--is it safe to have some one other than the dealership install this?? I'm concerned about my brand-new car being damaged or torn up just to run wires from the trunk to the dashboard?? Any and all advice, suggestions are appreciated as I have no idea what's involved to do this??
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    A better approach is the changer that inserts in the dash below the current system. Check with your dealer for the installed price; there are several online sources for the hardware, and everyone says the installation is a snap. If it comes to that, buy the unit from one of the online dealers, and have any competent installer put it in...I'm told this is any easy half-hour to 45 min job for anyone with tools and skills.
  • Options
    rgistrgist Member Posts: 8
    Hello,
    Today I went to my local dealer to look at the 2001 Accord. Well, they had two of them, an EX and LX sedan. The EX was in the showroom, it was taffeta white with the spoiler, splash guards, and the sunroof visor. To me the new one looks very well, especially the new EX wheel design. I like them better, slightly over the 1998-2000. The LX was dark emerald green, it was luxury looking. The dealer said that they had no brochures, which sort of disappointed me.
  • Options
    ethmcdethmcd Member Posts: 6
    rgist, what was the MSRP on the EX? And was it a V-6?
  • Options
    Hey, guys.. i have a 98 Honda Accord Ex 4 cyld. I bought this car because of the increase gas Millage. I have noticed the car only gets about 400miles pre tank on the interstate, and 300miles per tank in the city.

I also noticed that when i let the gas guage go below the E (empty) sign, and fill it up, i only put about 14.5 gallons of gas. According to the specs the car it has a 17.7 gallon gas tank. What type of millage are you guys getting on the 4 clyd, Vetec Engine.

thanks
    jes.
  • Options
    kelliejkelliej Member Posts: 2
    BTW, the MSRP on the sticker was $22,550 + $440 destination: Total suggested cost $22,990.
  • Options
    georgedegeorgede Member Posts: 40
    I'm stuck?? Need to make a decision soon!!
    Any comments??
  • Options
    newcar74newcar74 Member Posts: 19
    Isn't it Disel with 90 BHP ??? Correct me if I'm wrong. Jetta is SUBCOMPACT, Accord is big MIDSIZE.
    Accord can seat 3 in back seat, Jetta's back seat is not wrth for a small kid ??

How you can get stuck with TDi vs EX-V6 ??
    Please give more details why you are comparing 90BHP car with a 200BHP ?? Thanks
  • Options
    Hey, guys.. i have a 98 Honda Accord Ex 4 cyld. I
    bought this car because of the increase gas
    Millage. I have noticed the car only gets about
    400miles pre tank on the interstate, and 300miles
    per tank in the city.

I also noticed that when i let the gas guage go
    below the E (empty) sign, and fill it up, i only
    put about 14.5 gallons of gas. According to the
    specs the car it has a 17.7 gallon gas tank. What
    type of millage are you guys getting on the 4
    clyd, Vetec Engine.

thanks
    jes.
  • Options
    jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    I purchased a '01 Honda Accord this weekend. Price was $23,900. I had a trade-in so I don't know for sure how good a price I got but I am happy. I went to purchase a 2000 but I couldn't find an EX-V6 in white left. Test drove a 2000 demo with 4500 miles on it but they were asking $22,000. I figured the 2001 was worth the extra $1900. Floor mats come standard on the 2001.
  • Options
    bpsrch0001bpsrch0001 Member Posts: 2
    jmincher,

I am also considering 01 Accord V6 LX or EX. Could you give us a little more detailed info?
    What was the MSRP, included options, invoice price, trade-in price, etc.? That will be helpful for future buyers.

And is there anybody who purchased 01 Accord V6 LX? If yes, let us know pricing info.
  • Options
    I'd love to get that price. I'm interested in purchasing a 2001 EX-V6 as well. MSRP is $25,540 and I believe invoice is $22,775. Right now, my local "one-price" dealership is asking $24,999 for the EX-V6's. Besides the 2001's being so new, I think they are doing this to encourage buyers to purchase the remaining 2000's on the lot, which are priced around $23,000.

I am hoping to buy an EX-V6 from this dealership for around $24,000 within the next couple of months. I think this is a fair price for both sides. What do you think, Isell?

• Options
    If you can let the dust settle a bit, look for the standard Accord deals on the 2001s within a month to six weeks - give them a chance to clear out the 2000s first. On an EX V6 with an MSRP of $25.5k, my target would be $23.5-$23.8k by the middle of October. If you have to have a car now, expect to pay more...supply and demand, as always...

In NorCal, remaining 2000 EX V6s are basically "invoice" cars, plus a few bucks to show the computer there's a profit. I think the 2001 changes make the newer car a better buy, even at the higher prices you'll have to pay for the privilege.
  • Options
    Our 98 LX 4 cyl automatic just finished a 1200 mile roundtrip to Vegas. Average speeds were in excess of 75 mph, AC on at all times. The last segment [downhill, losing altitude] resulted in 340 miles with a quarter of a tank remaining on the guage. Overall mileage varied from 27-29 mpg, with some sprints uphill that hit 90 mph indicated - those SoCal folk like to run in the desert, and you either run with them or get run over. The car continues to be tight and trouble- free, but I want the extra torque and silence of the V6. I will be moving on in the next month or so to a 2001 Honda EX V6 or a Mercedes C240. Price difference in the real world will be about $9k, and right now I am leaning toward the MB. But I have to say the current generation Accord is a very impressive piece of work, and whatever we do, a 91 Accord wagon will continue to be the second car for the local shopping runs.
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Our 99 LX 4cyl. VTEC got 28mpg most of the time (occas up to 30mpg on long trips). This translated into about 390-400 miles on a tank. Usually took around 14 gallons to fill up from first fuel light.
    Unfortunately, I have fallen from the ranks of happy Hondanism. Can't say enough about the quality and fit on my ex LX. Wife wanted a monster truck to seat 8 or more (expedition.... yes with an extended warranty) my Honda sold in a flash. As a matter of fact, we had decided not to sell it, when I got a call from someone who saw it posted on the net. They bought it that week. Sold for nearly 90% of its original MSRP. To Anyone looking into a Honda: Buy now and enjoy with confidence.
  • Options
    georgedegeorgede Member Posts: 40
    Have you driven a Jetta TDI?? Its a peppy car (5 speed) and 45mpg.. It hurts me to think of that, but I'm choosing the Accord.. Its lots more
    comfortable than the Jetta and almost the same price, BUT 50 mpg (What am I doing???)
  • Options
    kelliejkelliej Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2001 4-cyl manual transmission Accord for 2 days now and I couldn't be happier with it. The engine is SO quite and the shifting is smooth. The only complaint *could* be that it "clanks" a little when I throw reverse, but my 1990 man trans Accord did that too, so I'm not complaining.

The Satin Silver paint is luminous. I find myself staring at the car after I park it and walk away from the lot. I take it in tomorrow to get the wood trim installed around the audio console...it will be very close to my perfect dream car.

As for the 150hp engine; it has proven more than adequate to do anything I've asked over the past two days--passing, no problem; acceleration off the light, great. I wanted an excellent all-around car...not a race car...and it has met all my expectations. Now, if it lives up to the Honda reputation for reliability, I'll be on cloud nine.
  • Options
    jmincherjmincher Member Posts: 65
    MSRP was $25,540 and I am not for sure on invoice. I went with the intentions on purchasing a 2000 for $22,000 but I liked some of the new features on 2001. The new features are Traction Control System, 6 Disk in Dash CD Changer and small changes in some exterior styling. The hood has a little more curve, small lip on the rear where a spoiler would go and curves on the bottom side under the door. The dealership hadn't even taken the shipping plastic of the car when we drove it.

Trade-in info: I did the unthinkable, I traded in a 97 Tahoe. I went from SUV to Sedan. I think the SUV craze has gotten out of hand but that is just my opinion. www.kbb.com had my Tahoe at $15,700 and I got $16,000 on trade so I was pleased.
  • Options
    Did you drive both the '00 and the '01 EXV6? Any difference in noise level? Any other differences in driving it? Just curious, my dealer hasn't gotten any V6's in yet.

-Mark
  • Options
    jrct9454 - I would be ecstatic if the price of the EX-V6 settled around $23.5 - $23.8. The dealership here in Denver I would most likely purchase a Honda from is a family-owned business with an outstanding reputation and salespeople who are great to deal with. They also have a one-price policy. The average price for the EX-V6 offered by this dealership (and other one-price dealerships here in Denver) has been around $23,500 over the past year. So, I'm expecting them to at least add the $500 cost increase to their prices. So, I'm figuring around $24,000, unless I wait until the end of 2001.

kelliej - congratulations on the new Accord. Your purchase is exactly what I may consider (color and everything). Which brings me to my dilemma:

I am looking to replace my current car with a nice 4-door sedan with a 6 cylinder and prefer manual transmissions. I am considering the Maxima and Passat, but am anxious to get into a Honda again (I've owned a Civic, Prelude and Integra (wife's)). I love the responsiveness, torque and silent nature of the V-6, but am considering an EX-L for the manual transmission. I can live without the auto climate, power pass. seat and homelink, but don't know if I'll be satisfied with the 150 hp 4 cylinder. Has anyone else gone through this decision process and have suggestions or comments? Thanks!

• Options
    kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Does anyone know if the window switches are now lit? I recall reading on another site that was to be a feature of the 2001 model. Also, I finally got to see an '01 LX and I, too, like the freshened look of the rear taillights (though I expected a more radical design). I looked at the front and, well, it looks more like a Camry now than it ever was! I'm partial the the front fascia of the '98-2000 versions. I particulary wondered what was up with the plasticy looking front air dams - probably for an optional fog light kit I'd imagine. But as others have stated, it would be nice to have the traction control for my '99. Oh, well...
  • Options
    Looking at the '01 brochure, on the drivers door, the drivers power window switch has the word AUTO on it. That is now backlit. It doesn't look like any of the other switches light up. It's pretty easy to tell by feel which is which though.