Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• tomekktomekk Posts: 310
    Tomorrow I can check the work order for detailed tech comments and share them with you...
  • steevo2steevo2 Posts: 33
    maltb, I think I'll take your advice and get a 2nd opinion. The dealer mentioned only the valve cover gaskets and that it was a real pain to get to them, hence the $$. Seems to be a documented problem with Millenia with 75k+ miles or so. I know a trustworthy independent shop and I'll post back when I get an estimate from them. Maybe others on the board will benefit from the info.
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    The dealer mentioned only the valve cover gaskets and that it was a real pain to get to them...

Well, according to my estimating guide (Motor Info Systems) it's 0.4 hours per side.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    Turns out it was the water pump just like you said. My buddy is very appreciative of the information. He says the dealer wants $800+ to change the water pump - does that sound right? He's also concerned about long term engine damage from the overheating - any thoughts there?
    Thanks!!!
  • klbkklbk Posts: 3
    heybrady,
    Thanks for the info. The car sold the day after I posted. They were asking $16,000 with 19K miles. It did not have heated seats.
  • klbkklbk Posts: 3
    kcm3419;
    Thanks for the info-very helpful!!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    That's a 4+ hour job with a $100 part so it sounds pretty close to correct. An independent may do it cheaper, but at the dealer, they will probably assign their most competent tech to a larger job like that.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    From what I have read you should be sure the timing belt is replaced while they have it down that far.
  • I have an 01 S with 6,700 miles on it. Around town I never get more than 14.5 mpg, with moderate acceleration, i.e. I don't step on it. Is this normal for this car? Has anyone had any luck with using synthetic oil or a K&N filter to improve mpg? Any suggestions?

Second question, when I floor the accelerator going about 10-20 mph the transmission won't down shift. Is this normal? Has anyone had any success with reprogramming the chip or some other type of performance improvement.

Third question, the emergency brake handle hits my knee all the time, has anyone had any success with bending it out of the way?
    Gas mileage: that is NOT normal! On '01 S I get 21 city / up to 28 hwy.
    Downshift: you really have to floor it quickly to make it downshift ... it will, but again you need to know how to convince it :-)
    Emergency brake: bend it? Hm, how about if you try it and let us know...

Tomek
    As promised, here's my work order (4th trip for this problem):

pressure ck cooling system to 14lbs, no visible leaks detected. called mazda hotline they suggested pulling timing belt covers to inspect for leaks. Water pump showed traces of coolant at weep hole. While checking for coolant leak noticed rt cam seal also leaking. Replace water pump & rt cam seal. Road test to confirm repair

Parts:
    B0205BRX Oil seal (front housing or camshaft front) r&r 90 WM94
    1 BP01-10-602A oil seal
    E0101XRX water pump assembly and/or gasket, r&r 90 WM94
    1 8AK3-15-010B pumpset, water
    4 5555-CL-001 Warr Coolant
    FC:77
    part: 8AK3-15-010B

All this was covered under warranty, so I have absolutely no idea how much it would be...

Good luck,
    Tomek
  • Hello,

I recently sold 92 929 with 130k miles (had it for 7 yrs), and now looking at used Millenia S. (I think it's such a wonderful car in many aspects, including its looks and feature contents).

I am looking at model year 97 or older, to be used as second car.

There is a gentlemen who has 95' at 102k miles, offering ~7000. Carfax yields absolutely no accidents or issues. However since they say 95' was first year for Millenias, I am a bit uneasy about making up my mind. On my 929, for example, there were a couple of issues with the car(no glovebox, wahahaha! and driving belt pulleys rattling). Is there anything to be aware of on 95 Millenias?
    " Is there anything to be aware of on 95 Millenias?"

The only repeat problem that shows up on Carpoint or other reliability ratings for the '95 MM is spark plug wires. They run around $100 plus labor. But I have read on this forum of oil leaks in the supercharger on all S models with high miles. I imagine that could be a substantially more expensive problem if the car you are looking at needs that work. You would probably be smart to have it checked before buying that car.

It is also overdue for an expensive timing belt and water pump change if that has not been done.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421

Join us tonight, 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for another
    round of automotive trivia and member-to-member chat.
    Test your skills (or multiple choice guessing ability)
    against other Town Hall members.

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/townhallchat.html

Hope to see you there!
  • Thank you fwatson I will look for the service record on the car for timing belt and water pump, in addition to oil leak!
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    It seems like people are getting 14 mpg to the gallon on this car. A fuel pick-up problem or something? This seems to be too common.
    Only those with problems complain... I'm getting 21 city 28 hwy on 2001 Mill S.
    "It seems like people are getting 14 mpg to the gallon on this car. A fuel pick-up problem or something?"

----------------------

That car very obviously has a problem. Any mechanic with good diagnostic equipment can determine what it is, but there is no way for it to be diagnosed on a forum. It requires knowing the code that is read out of the OBD.
  • rotarykidrotarykid Posts: 191
    The labor for replacing the valve cover gaskets on a 2.5 millenia is more than an hour. We get at least 2, and thats about the same as the warranty time.
  • dmoyerdmoyer Posts: 27
    Per AutoZone and http://www.troublecodes.net/mazda/ ("Mazda Code Retrieval - Accessing Trouble Codes 96 & later are OBD2 systems"), the 1995 MM 2.5 V6 has OBD (located in front of the firewall), but requires a special tool to read.
    So, since all systems appear to be operational, I re checked all things visual in the engine compartment and then followed the above web site's recommendations for clearing the fault. "Mazda Fuel Injected Models With OBD - Disconnect battery ground cable for a minimum of 10 seconds, then depress brake pedal five times to clear trouble code's stored in the memory". Drove it for 30 minutes with all systems off, no check light. I'll just start using things and see if the check engine light returns.
    This 95 has been good to me so it is worth the effort to keep it on the road, I only drive it about 5K a year.