Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    Didn't Ford already have their hands into Mazda before the Millenia came about in '95?
  • With the 6 being the most expensive model in the lineup, it doesnt have a luxury feel at all. Reminds me of an Alero or Grand Am in style. Too many angles and ground effects, etc. If they come out with a car that has clean lines and has a luxury/performance feel to it, similar to new Maxima (even though it is ugly) or TL or G35 they may have a shot. Market is pretty full for low $30's cars though. MM could have stayed around longer if it was redesigned with bigger engine and bigger size interior.
    I agree with you that the low $30 and even the mid $30 market is jammed with vehicles now. I also think the MM could have stayed around longer especially if they made the car bigger. For what ever reason Mazda comes out with good cars but they then let them just sit there and die. They do not try and do any real improvements on them to keep up with the competition. I hate to say it but that is sad to say. They would rather come out with a design and then leave it there for 10 years or less without making any real improvements to it and then scrap it for a new model. Then they can't figure out why their sales figures are dropping like a lead ballon on the vehicle.
  • Does anyone know where I can order on the internet carpeted (beige) Millenia floor mats for 1999 model?
    The obvious place would be a dealer. If you did not want to go there then try a salvage yard. You can always try ebay, but I did a quick look and did not find anything there.
  • It has been a long time since I posted here, so I thought I would give an update on my 99 Millenia S.

42K miles, and I am already on my third set of tires. I went to H rated tires hoping they will last longer. Absolutely no problems, and maintenance has pretty much been a battery, and oil changes that the Dealer does for free.

This car has been very good to me and my pocket book (except for the tires, which is probably due to how I drive). Only two more payments!

Bob
  • I am surprised you are already on your 3rd set of tires with 42,000 miles (67,200 kms). I managed to squeeze a good 54,000 KMS out of the OEM Dunlop SP5000 - having rotated them diligently every 10,000 Kms. I was at one time considering switching to an H rated but then decided to go for the Toyo Proxes TPT V rated which has a treadwear rating of 100,000 km - well this is to be seen. You are lucky though that you haven't encountered any major issues with your car. My 2001 S has undergone all sorts of warranty repairs, including the replacement of the Lysholm supercharger.

However, it is a delightful car to drive, which all Mazda's are. In my opinion - having owned various models of Mazda as well as Hondas and Nissans - nothing reaches the height of Mazdas when the vehicle is behaving well!
  • This is a question that always bothered me. When I press Auto of climate control, the A/C kicks in no matter what the outside temperature is. This happens on all cars with climate control, at least on cars that I had (Nissan Maxima, Nissan Altima) and currently have (Isuzu Axiom, Mazda Millennia). Why?! I do not need A/C when I need to heat up the interior to certain temperature level. The problem is that when you press A/C while Auto is ON to turn off the air compressor, it disengages the Auto mode. You try to change the mode of air flow - it also disengages the Auto. Anything you try to change while in Auto - the Auto goes off. I don't want climate control to decide how and where to blow the air! I want it to do its main job - keep the temperature at certain level!
  • Tig, the a/c is on simply to remove moisture from the air that it blows out. this helps to keep the windows defrosted. now, as far as extra wear-and-tear on the a/c system, i have no idea. i do agree that the driver should be able to change what vents the air goes thru without turning off the system. it took me 5 months to get used to the auto feature, and finally i just learned to deal with it. it works better in the winter than the summer, imho.
  • Send me an email and I'll provide you the mats info.

I have a 98 Millenia S model with 75K miles which has provided good service. Here are the repairs that we've done since owning it:
    - new tires at 45k miles
    - replaced tilt wheel motor
    - 2 new O2 sensors and catalytic converter @ 60k miles (dealer paid for catalytic converter, we paid for O2).
    - new front end link
    - replaced serpentine belts and heater hose
    - misc park/tail light bulbs

In all, I am pleased with the vehicle service over the time we have owned it (2nd owner, 1999 @ 11k miles). I think these are great cars and still get complements, although the platform is now showing its age compared to competitive offerings.
  • I have a 2000 S The drivers side heated seat doesn't work, the passenger side works great. The switch where you turn on the heat lights up, so what is the chances that the relay could be bad. Any ideals on where the relay is and how much this could cost? thanks
    Some of the relays were under the seat and some are in the back of the seat. I do not know what year the switch was made from under to the back. If I had to guess I think that the 2000 will most likely be in the back of the seat.
  • solo, i too have the same issue with my 99. the drivers seat worked fine in april, but in november when i tried again, no go. the passenger works fine. i tried unpluggin and replugging the connectors under the seat. it has a white end on it. still doesnt work. the connections are in the back of the seat. a previous post said to try and unclip the back of the seat and test for connectivity back there. i tried but the cover didnt want to come off very easily and i didnt want to break any of the clips. i belive fairwood posted something about this not long ago and said the dealer quoted him 280-some bucks to fix. if you go get an estimate, please post it. i am curious to see what it is.
    Fairwood's problem was determined to be a broken coil in his seat warmers. If you want to read that whole discussion you will have to go back about 4 pages or more. Fairwood also had a problem with a CEL coming on, which was a misfire.
  • I've been reading up a little bit regarding the quality of the stock tires on the Mill. Anyways, I could've sworn at least the S models came with a full size spare. I still have the stock Dunlops on Mine, but the rear passenger seems to have been slashed on the sidewall or is the tire just no good? It's still under warranty. If I took it in, would they replace it with the same Dunlops or would I have a choice?
    Thanks in advance.
  • The 6 isn't the most expensive car in the current Mazda lineup. It's actually the RX-8. There is no longer a "flagship". It's obvious that Mazda is now more towards sport and performance (i.e. MazdaSpeed), which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but cars like the Milly and 929 which represented Mazda's solid luxo efforts won't be forgotten.
    The Mill does not come with a full size spare tire. The full size spare tire has been gone for a long time on all vehicles.

They probable will not even replace that tire for you. First of all they will pro rate the tire, but I think they won't even do that because it has to be a manufacture defect for them to replace it. They will most likely say you hit a curb and damaged it yourself therefore it is your problem.
  • I checked the switch with a volt meter, they are working fine. I took the front seat back cover off, it just snaps off easy just a little tricky putting back on the connections were also good. The mazda tech told me over the phone that the relay is in the back seat, he also said that it works both seat warmers. I believe the coil is bad, but how can I find out without taking it to a tech.
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    If you're talking about the heating coil in the seat, just set your VOM to Ohms instead of Volts and on X1000. Unplug the connector in the seat and put one probe on each end of the coil. If you get no reading it is open. Don't do that with power to the seats or you will blow your meter.

But I would think the seats each have their own coil, and they would probably be in parallel. If neither one is working the problem is not likely to be the seat coils. It is unlikely they would go bad at the same time.

You might get information on heated seats by googling for it.

Maybe your answer is in one of these links.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UT- - - F-8&q=repair+seat-heater&btnG=Google+Search
  • Anyone out there by any chance have a Millenia Repair Manual? I would like to get my hands on one of those and see what it says about troubleshooting the seat heaters.