Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• acabral1acabral1 Posts: 122
    Congrats - on your new purchase you have made an excellent choice of vehicle for "fullsized" sedans. The plathora of standard features in addition to having features that competing models of the same class do not have.

What are your current thougths on the Miller Cylce Engine? From my personal assessments, it outperformances, the TL's and I30's engine, in terms of feel and responsiveness.

Regards,
  • I just bought a '97 millennia s with 60,000 miles on it - and guess what, the 'indestructible' miller engine had been replaced at 50,000 miles! It had seized up, and the previous owner, under warranty, had a whole new engine and computer module dropped in, cost according to the invoice, $7,000. Hope I didn't buy a lemon...
  • If you're still looking, Jim Ellis Mazda on Peachtree Industrial has one 2001 Millenia S.
  • ae86ae86 Posts: 6
    the performance of the S is pretty good compare to the TL because i test drove a CL before and the Miller Cycle engine has more torque in the city driving RPM...however, when the engine is blow 2,000 rmp, the car feels slow and not enough "juice"
    but i'm disappointed with the transmission, i floored the car without turning on the HOLD button
    and i was in 3,000rpm for more than 3 sec till it switched up a gear...
    You are correct, the millenia's performance is mediocore at low RPM, in respects to generating responsive torque,. however, at speeds of 60mph + torque response is plentiful and smooth, in comparison to the many Honda/Motor Engines.

The Miller Cylce Engine, is somewhat erratic in performance,. I look at it as a love/hate thing,. but I can tell you from experience it certainly can/will outperform many engines with 15 - 25 more hp while at high RPM's - if this is a concern of yours.
  • I went by Rick Case yesterday...they finally got one 2001 Millenia Premium in...which they got from Jim Ellis...I couldn't look inside it, because it hadn't been stocked yet. I'm due for service soon at Jim Ellis...I'll just wait and check one out then.
  • Has everyone noticed...Mazda is already giving $2000 dealer cash on 2001 Millenias.
  • I saw that too, $2000 incentive on 2001 Millenias. this means you can get a 2001 Millenia for about $3000 more than the 2000 Mill; that's a great deal. Too bad my wife doesn't want another sedan (we're trying to get a wagon; don't laugh), I would've gotten a second Millenia S for us. I can only dream.

cheers
  • Not sure how many of you know about this...hopefully all of you. MazdaTown is the owners site on www.mazdausa.com . I'm sharing this with you all, because right now they have up a survey that you can fill out telling what you think about your Millenia. If you want Mazda to hear your opinion you might want to check it out.
    It doesn't surprise me that Mazda is already discounting thier Millenias! The only thing these discounts provide is immediate gratification - all these obscene discounts puts a severe dent in the Millenia's resale value whether it be via private sale or trade-in.

Just about everyone who owns a 2000 Millenia/s is upside-down on thier car, unless they leased it or they put down at least $7,000 and managed to purchased thier Millenia when Mazda was offering the $5,000 discount.
  • Has anyone had any problems with the auto-tilt away feature on their steering wheel? Three times over the weekend my steering wheel did not go up when I pulled my key out of the ignition. Each time I put my key back in the ignition and pulled it back out and it worked fine. Maybe I have an electrical short? Anyone had this happen? My fuel gauge is also acting up...I think the gas light is broken.
  • I had a similar problem with the steering wheel tilt in my millenia--it either retracted only part way or did not go up at all. This happened a number of times in the month before my battery died. Since replacing the battery (nearly 6 months ago), it hasn't happened again. It did seem rather coincidental at the time...
    Had the same problem on my '00,. then I realized that I the auto-tilt button wasn't depressed.

I had to say it!
  • I checked the auto-tilt button each time. The first time it happened I assumed that was the problem.
  • Wonder if my battery could be getting low? I always leave my headlights on all the time, b/c of the auto-off feature...maybe this is wearing the battery down?
  • I saw the 2001 Millenia for the first time today. I was a little disappointed in the so call restyle. The restyle is very minimal. I am in the market for a now car and I am looking at the Millenia, Lexus ES300, & Nissan Maxima. I was waiting to see the Mazda in person before I decided. The Lexus is on my list and is the leading candidate but since it is schedule for a make over next year, I wanted to see what else is out there. I have always liked the Mazda Millenia but thought the current design and technology had been on the market to long. I like the Maxima is on my list for performance. I was hoping that this would be a welcome refresh.
    Oh Well!
  • ecafecaf Posts: 44
    I've got a '95 S with over 100,000 miles. You asked about a 9006 xenon HID conversion kit. I had a 9006 HID conversion kit installed last March. Ordered from Phoenix Micro-Lite (http://www.phoenixhid.com), it’s called the "9006P" kit ($600 + CA sales tax + shipping). It's optimized for projector lamps like mine. The parts don’t look “cheesy”; the kit uses Philips ballasts and Philips D2S Xenon bulbs. That bodes well in terms of the quality of parts. Installation of my kit was simple; plug the car's bulb connector into the ballast, which twists into bulb that connects to the lamp assembly. The hardest part is finding a place to mount the ballasts in a crowded engine compartment! Installation is easily reversible if I wanted to put it in another 9006 car.

In terms of output, my eyes tell me that we have at least 2.5 times the lumens. The halogens were yellow and dangerously dim by comparison. The light on the road is pure white, not blue (thank God). The color resembles that of the latest Acuras. Stock BMW HID lamps look a little bluer. My lamps still look a bluish in a sea of yellow halogens.

In terms of beam pattern, the projector lenses do a superb job of controlling glare and putting light exactly where I want it. Behind the wheel, I see a very uniform blanket of cool white light. I’ll even argue that my beam pattern was better defined than a ’00 Acura TL I passed up one night. It’s kind of spooky. I’d be more concerned with a conventional reflector lens setup; reflectors designed to handle half the lumens will likely make glare a problem. Despite the well-controled beam pattern, no HID conversion kits will be officially sold as DOT/SAE compliant devices. But I’ve passed many cops; they don’t appear to be distracted as I drive by (knock on burlwood).

Customer service was excellent. Phoenix is small, but their staff (especially Bob [superlite@earthlink.net]) is very eager to please. They are extremely knowledgeable, professional and prompt. I’d buy from them again. My kit has been working reliably so far. The ten-year warranty is indicative of how confident they are in their kit. Hope I don’t need to use it any time soon.

Also check out other HID dealers:

http://www.suvlights.com
    http://www.autolamps-online.com
    http://www.hidlamps.com
    http://www.hitechimportlighting.com

Educate yourself! Check out the Philips lighting forum. http://www.lighting.philips.com/forum/forum_6/wwwforum.cgi

Hope this helps.

-Ecaf
  • I test drove a 2000 and a 2001 Millenia S back-to-back yesterday. I must say that the 2001 improvements were apparent. The 2001 seemed more refined with better materials and sound dampening. Plus there was less body roll and the brake pedal felt firmer. Actual cosmetic redesign was minimal though, the most major being, of course, the front fascia and the guages. Also, the grey colors of the 2001 interior was much classier than the beige/brown of the 2000. (I just can't stand brown dashes. Gross. Black, Grey, Tan or Cream are fine though.)

Coming from the 1999 Protege I regularly drive, the steering on both Millenias was perhaps too light for my liking and the gas and brake pedals were a tad too close together for my boots. Other than that, it didn't take long to get used to. I liked it a lot overall, though the only other comparable car I've tested so far is the Maxima (which had that spongy, artificial steering seemingly characteristic of all Nissans).
  • My Millenia is currently at the dealership...they are overnighting a part that is suppose to fix the problem with my steering wheel not going up.
  • guzguz Posts: 7
    Well I've owned my S for 15 months now. This car is great. I love its' style and performance, especially at the price I paid(24.5K).
    I love everything about this car except its oem tires(Dunlop Sport 4000). In 15 months, I have gone through 3 tires with the same problem. All three developed bulges in the sidewall. They attributed the problem to me hitting a pothole or a curb. I attribute the problem to a bad tire. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Can anyone recommend another brand of tires? What is the optimal tire pressure for these tires?
    Dunlop has agreed to trade me up to the Sport 5000 for about $500 for all four. I don't know if I should accept or look elsewhere.
    Thanks in advance