Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• mantagmantag Posts: 47
    i have a 95 s. so far no problems other than oil pressure switch ( $75, but I am noticing what sounds like an engine drone noise more noticable at 40 - 60mph. i dont know if it is the continental countact touring tires( i hope) or something else. it seems louder than before. anyone else experiencing this on the s?

thanks
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    Saw one at a local VW dealer. Leather, 20K miles, leather, CD. Ad price of $15,995. Sales manager is a friend of mine who informed me of minor scratches (repainted - nice job). Dark blue is not my favorite color, but it's okay. Can't be too choosy about that feature.

He offered it at $14,600 + fees. Any comments? At one time, I leased a '95 Millenia and though its 170 hp is "under-powered" compared with the 190+ offerings by the competition, I'm not a speed demon or hell-raiser anymore.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Posts: 215
    I read from Automotive News mag that the 2001 Millenia will have a "backlit" display/tachometer and all; kinda like the one on Lexuses. It will retain both engine with re-designed front and rear end. I only wish that they would include a GPS of some kind. BTW, I own a black/grey 2000 Mill S with 14000miles on it. I've been very happy with the car so far, got it for $29995 out the door from Puente Hills Mazda. Planning to put a 19" wheel soon.
    The only drawback, 20 Mpg in LA traffic.
  • wanna99wanna99 Posts: 1
    Hi all! Been reading with great interest all the comments on the Mazda Millenia. Have a chance to buy a 99 Millenia S, but with its Miller Cylce engine and the engine no longer being in production after the 2002 model year, does anyone know how Mazda plans on providing customer support should owners experience any problems with the engines after 2002. I am a long term car buyer (currently have 1987 T-Bird with 142K miles. If I buy the Millenia, I want to be sure I can keep it long term and have service support for it while I own it. Does anyone have information on parts/service support for the Miller Cycle engine after 2002? Thanks for any info you might have. "Chris"
  • According to the Mazda website...the official one, not the US sight, the new Millenia will have a navigation system. www.mazda.com go to the news releases and you will see it
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    The salesman I initially spoke with on the phone did not know that the '98 Millenia DID NOT have leather and guessed that the mileage was in the 20K range. Actually, it was 33K! But, it had the CD, new tires, and was clean.

If the car was titled early in the '98 model year (late 1997), then the mileage isn't excessive. But, then again, the three-year warranty period will run out long before the 50K mileage limit is reached.

$14,600 isn't a bad price. The car ran well, did not reek of tobacco, and the touch-up work on the minor scrapes was flawless. Probably a decent deal, but not exceptional.
  • misty8misty8 Posts: 15
    How do I find the white container and is it difficult to remove? I'd like to try it but I'm not very mechanically inclined.
  • Trying to get a windshield decal but don't know what word millenia looks like in japanese. Or any word for that matter(speed, demon whatever). Any help?
  • mantagmantag Posts: 47
    i think the foreign name is "mellos"??? (? sp)check "automobile" magazine. the mag gives names for all cars w/ there foreign name.

white cansister: do you have to remove the air filter cover or that bellows looking hose connected to it?

tires: currently have original continental contact touring tires. i am looking at michelin pilots/dunlop/yokohama. go to tirerack.com
  • I read in Consumer Reports that if a blue cloud of smoke comes from the tailpipe, it is a sign of an oil-burning engine.
  • Someone else is driving my care along SR46 up near Paso Robles. It starts to overheat - probably a water pump problem. They don't notice until smoke and steam are pooring from the car.

End result is the car is going to need a new engine. The head gasket is blown, header warped, rings fried and gouged the cylinder walls, blah, blah, blah. Needs new radiator too.

The car is is SLO with a busy mazda/mitsubishi dealer that seems to have a good rep. The bill will come to $11k for a new engine, and it doesn't seem much chance of a rebuilt as there are so few miller cycles on the market. Anyone know if that seems high for parts and labor to get a new engine, etc.? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. For those of you who have expressed concerns about the miller cycle engine, this is the downside - it costs a lot and they're not easy to work on so you have fewer alternative to a dealer than with other cars/engines.

Up until know, I've been real happy with it. a few, minor problems, but nothing horrible. Front seats could be more comfortable. That engine can really fly, though.
  • octmanoctman Posts: 3
    Hello to all! I'm closing in on finalizing a deal on a 2000 Millenia base. The car is equipped with both the 4 season and Premium Pkgs. My question has to do with the wipers...they seem to sit awkwardly on the windsheild, much higher than you'd expect. Does this require a minor adjustment or is it a sign of things to come?
  • Can you see the wipers when sitting inside the car? You shouldn't be able to.
  • The wipers are supposed to have two positions. A winter and summer setting. The winter setting has the wipers sitting higher on the window to avoid ice build up between the wiper and hood. The summer setting has the wipers setting below the hood line. I don't have the owners manual in front of me but it seems like I remember that you just pull out on the wipers and they ratchet up or down to switch positions. May want to read the manual first. P.S. has anyone found either a contoured bug gaurd for the hood or tried the transparent film?? How about any classy looking side moulding to protect from door dings. Got my first bad one the other day and cost me a c note to get it fixed. That paintless dent repair is amazing. I wish I knew how they did that!
  • gfishgfish Posts: 1
    I got under my '99 Millenia base yesterday to take a look at the white box on the intake tract some of you have discussed removing. The white box is a resonance chamber designed to tune the intake tract and reduce intake noise.

The shape and length of the intake tube is engineered to move air from a relatively cool location under the hood as quietly as possible--efficiency is considered but intake noise is usually what the designer is trying to minimize.

On my car the intake ends at a hole in the inside panel of the left fender just behind the headlight--the intake tube goes straight down from the airbox to the engine tray, turns sharply toward the left wheel well, then turns up (that’s where the white box is located) and runs to the intake opening in the fender.

The shape and length of the intake tube is engineered to move air from a relatively cool location under the hood as quietly as possible--efficiency is considered but intake noise is usually what the designer is trying to minimize. To some small extent, the length of the entire intake tract may help smooth the airflow and eliminate peaks and dips in the engine's torque curve.

If, when you say “remove the white box,” you're simply disconnecting the flexible plastic joint that joins the airbox to the rest of the intake, you’ve shortened the intake tube and may be drawing cooler air from the area just above the engine tray. Cooler air means more power, and you’ve probably changed the shape of the torque curve (for better or worse). If you’re actually removing the box, the engine will draw air from the original intake opening and the two holes in the tube where the box was mounted. Again, you may be drawing cooler air. In either case, the sound of the engine, particularly at full throttle, will likely be louder.

If you look at the large air tube on the top of the engine between the air box and the throttle body, you’ll see a similar black plastic part (mine is labeled “KL470”) which is also a resonance chamber. In this case, the size and shape of the chamber is designed the smooth the flow of air into the engine within a particular RPM range--changing the size or shape of (or removing) the chamber will change the torque curve of the engine.

I’d like to know if anyone has actually measured 0-30 or 0-60 times before and after removal of the box. "Seat-of-the-pants" dynos are notoriously inaccurate, particularly if the sound of the engine is louder.

The intake tubes are pretty small and look restrictive. I think our cars could benefit from a cold air intake which allows fresh air from outside the engine compartment to be routed directly to the airbox.

George
  • nmgridlnmgridl Posts: 12
    How to program the keyless entry has been posted before under the original Millenia topic site. There are several steps. Seems to me you had to push buttons and open/close doors in some sequence.
  • acabral1acabral1 Posts: 122
    The 2001 Millenia will be more or less identical to the 2000 model, with the exception of the front fascia. The rear fascia was carried over to 2001.

The major differences among the 2000 and 2001 model will be that as follows (2001) will have:

* GPS - Navigation System
    * Eight Speaker Bose Stereo with upgrade Feature
    * Larger Center Armrest
    * Projector Headlights
    * Wood Steering Wheel (top/bottom section)

Most everything else will remain the same - but as everyone is probably already aware, expect last minute changes to the 2001 Millenia before it reaches US land.

The list of changes above is - per Mazda Motors statement, is what consumers wanted to see in the Millenia.

The 2001 Millenia is anticipated to go on sale late September to early October 2000.

Rumur has it that, if these changes to the Millenia increases sales for the Millenia. A complete rebody will be done in 2003.

Regards,

PS - if anyone want to see pics of the 2001 Millenia email me: cabrame@excite.com I have about 14 pictures of it
    If any visitor of this forum is debating whether or not they should purchase a 2000 Millenia S, you need to read this review. Granted it is purely subjective, but all automotive reviews are so read on.

The 2000 Millenia S, is a phenomenal vehicle in all prospectives. First and foremost owners of this vehicle will be exhilarated with the fact that they won't be driving a car that everyone in their neighborhood has,. (we all know which cars I am referencing to) Secondly, you will be the proud owner of a car that has 210 supercharged horsepower - which will out performance all of its competing models.

The 2000 Millenia S, also has a feature called - "hold" which allows the driver to manually control the transmission for maximum "off-line" performance. Believe me, this feature is 5 times more effective than the Sequential Shift and Tiptronic Shift of its competing models; because it will never become tiresome as a result of it being results oriented and not gimmick oriented like the other transmission control systems currently available on other vehicles.

In addition everything stated above, the 2000 Millenia's interior and exterior build is truly top notch for a car priced under 35K,. The Millenia's leather quality is superb with the perfect amount of firmness.

To avoid making this review to lengthy, I will bring closure to this topic, but simply must restate to all debating purchasers that, the 2000 Millenia S is a spectacular vehicle that will surely impress you whenever you'd least expect it to. - If any of you all concerned about the negative comments that owners have made about the 2000 Millenia or its predecessor, try visiting other forums, you will see an equal balance of gripes from owners their as well - i.e the 2000 TL's and the like -

- "Get in. Be moved"
  • I'm getting conflicting information on rebates / incentives and Mazda financing .

I Want to buy a base '00, but heard the current rebate of $2250 is over on 9/5/00. Does anyone think this will be extended or maybe even go up as the '01's roll out ? Can you get the rebate and also the 6.9% financing for 60 months? I guess the real ? is should I buy before 9/5 or wait a week or two ? I really enjoyed reading all the info on the previous postings ....Any info would be greatly appreciated. THANKS
    I called speak upon the rebate towards the base model, but the dealership discounted my "S" for $6,500.00 - I could't argue with that - hopefully this information sets some parameters for you -

Regards,
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Posts: 215
    Most Mazda dealership I know here in LA, will give about $5500 to $6500 rebate/discount. Especially now that the 2001 model is coming out soos. I would to buy a Millenia, I would wait for the 2001 model, as it has the backlit display and probably xenon (maybe).

For acabral1 (2001 millenia), actually, if you look closer, the rear tail light is different from the 2000 model, the white part is on the bottom part of the tail light.

Love my Millenia
    csuftitans - the rear taillights for the US Version will be a carry-over from 2000 for 2001 -
    The fact that the clear section of the taillight is located on the bottom for 2001 is insubstantial, the reason the 2001 Millenia rear fascia is considered to be a carry-over is because there are not any structural changes similiar to what the front fascia of the 2001 Millenia has undergone.

Hence, it is a carry-over

Regards,
  • csuftitans - From a personal standpoint I would not recommend 19"s wheels on the Millenia,. for starters, because you will lose performance by nearly 50% - braking power will be lost, acceleration performance will be lost, and fender rubbing will definately occur -

I am speculating that your Millenia is used as a daily driven car, and you will have more headaches than you can buy aspirin for! With 19"s

The 19"s wheel issue is nice, but the use of them is mainly for show. If you really want some nice wheels that are large,. consider 18"s you will still be faced with the issues I described above but 18"s are slightly more "practical" for daily drivers.

If you do decide for larger wheels - 18"s + you will definatley need to purchase larger brakes, because the factory ones will not be effective under emergency situations!

Also, insure that you purchase wheels with the correct offset and backspacing MM's - for tires consider this application to avoid blowouts: 225/40 series I wouldn't get anything smaller for a sedan, due to it standard weight load and its weight load with full occupancy -

I am expressing this info because I had 18"s and 19"s on my previous car and had problems. Sometimes good looks aren't worth the compromise -Oh ya, consider purchasing Lowenhart wheels - they are some of the best wheels on the market.

Regards
  • csuftitans - From a personal standpoint I would not recommend 19"s wheels on the Millenia,. for starters, because you will lose performance by nearly 50% - braking power will be lost, acceleration performance will be lost, and fender rubbing will definately occur -

I am speculating that your Millenia is used as a daily driven car, and you will have more headaches than you can buy aspirin for! With 19"s

The 19"s wheel issue is nice, but the use of them is mainly for show. If you really want some nice wheels that are large,. consider 18"s you will still be faced with the issues I described above but 18"s are slightly more "practical" for daily drivers.

If you do decide for larger wheels - 18"s + you will definatley need to purchase larger brakes, because the factory ones will not be effective under emergency situations!

Also, insure that you purchase wheels with the correct offset and backspacing MM's - for tires consider this application to avoid blowouts: 225/40 series I wouldn't get anything smaller for a sedan, due to it standard weight load and its weight load with full occupancy -

I am expressing this info because I had 18"s and 19"s on my previous car and had problems. Sometimes good looks aren't worth the compromise -Oh ya, consider purchasing Lowenhart wheels - they are some of the best wheels on the market.

Regards
  • earlier I had posted about an engine droning sound that was starting to get louder. it turns out the wheel bearings/seals need to be replaced on the front. approx $500 after all said and done. also, watch out for lug(not lock) nuts that will need to be replaced too, it was another 30, included in above $. i think the lug nuts get rusted on. they had problems with this for 95-96 maybe 97, 626, mill's .

i have a 95 s. i guess it could be alot worse. they gave me a free oil change next time too. yeah!!!
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    how do the Millenia's headlights perform? Are they bright enough? Do they illuminate the road well? The reason why I am asking is that I have seen a bunch of cars (mine included) that have sleek aerodynamic headlight designs that don't seem to put out light well enough.

What about foglights? Are they efficient?

Does Millenia get dented too much? - the round unprotected sides kind of make me think of that.

What does everyone think of the new 2001 Millenia's face? I think I like the older on better - the new one looks to me like a strange concoction of Toyota Avalon (headlights) and Acura RL (grille) while being too edgy.
  • dont have dents yet, but it could be easy since the lower door panel "skirts" do not come up high enough to protect against door dings. just watch where you park. no problem w/ headlghts. although to compete against others they really should have

1. xenons available on s
    2. side air bags
    3. steering wheel controls (radio)
    4. 17" wheels on s
    5. horsepower boost

2001 gps sits too low to read effectively IMO
  • ecafecaf Posts: 44
    Hey Mantag,

If you have a Gen 1 Millenia (1994.5 to 2000) you can have your 9006 lowbeams retrofitted with "off road" (read: non-DOT) Xenon HID kit. Check out

autolamps-online.com
    hidlights.com (pics of 2K Millenia with HID here!)
    hitechimportlighting.com
    phoenixhid.com
    suvlights.com

I got my Philips HID from phoenixhid.com. Unbeatable quality and price. They look really sweet with the projector beam lenses in my '95 Millenia. Great glare control. Check it out! Learn more from the Philips forum:

http://www.lighting.philips.com/forum/forum_6/wwwforum.cgi

Good luck!
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    I have not had a chance to test drive a Millenia yet. The reviews say that the steering is too light. Is this true?
  • The rear of the 2001 Millenia also has a wider opening around the license plate, not just new tail lights. The 2001 model does have side air bags.