Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• jean7of9jean7of9 Posts: 192
    My odometer is around 70k km (44k miles). It still drives well but certainly not like new in spite the fact that I try to keep it in tip-top shape. The Miller Cycle Engine is a bit noisier than before when above 2500 RPM. However it still starts like a rocket at extreme low temperatures. Since I have other cars I try not to drive this one more than 4-5k/year.
  • The only other way you can detect a faulty cat converter(in it's early stages of failure)other than sound and smell is... being rejected at the emissions test. Do you guys in NY have to have those? Seattle makes us take emissions tests every other year, joy!
  • gtspecgtspec Posts: 55
    Yes, we do have the emission test in NY, and it's every year!!! I pass the emission test, therefore I guess the cat converters might still be good. Anyway, I'll have it check by my mechanic to make sure it's still good, and if not I'll have them replace before the 8/80,000 warranty ends. Thank you very much "emeraldcity"!
  • As far as I know, none of the 0-100km/h acceleration test done is OZ for Eunos 800M is any lower than 8s. Remember that 0-100km/h is more like 0-62mph. Millenia S/Eunos 800M's initial acceleration it's not very quick, but at high speed is another matter. Going from 90mph to 130mph in a Millenia is a lot easier/quicker than any other car I've driven (except for RX7), that includes cars like (my parent's car) '93 M-benz 500SEL, my friend's 2000 Acura TL (beat the heck out of that car in high speed) and '95 M-benz C280 (sister's car).

cheers
    On the practical side, any velocity comparison should be to less than 90 mph. Even this speed is seldom achieved in daily driving. How often you reach 130 mph unless you live on a race track and in this case lucky you. The fact of life is MilleniaS ranks within a privileged group give or take few deca-seconds. As far as concerning the velocity, I feel that 0-60 in 8s in very fine for any car. On the driving pleasure side, I feel that MilleniaS in hindered by the long input needed for the steering wheel to direct the car as well as the slow reaction for its automatic transmission. Those two facts were consistently underlined for years by most professional testers.
  • First of all, would like to say what a wonderful forum this is. I've been checking in everyday for the past few months actually since I purchased my 1998 Millenia L in May. What exactly does the delaership do that would make this service cost in my area $625.00. That seems a bit step just for a tune up. And my reasoning is that at 30,000 miles if that much is wrong then what is going to be later down the road. Oh yeah, 60,000 miles is going to be $925.00. Why so much?
    Did the dealer provide details with the bill? He is supposed to. If he did, do you mind sharing them with us. In the past I paid such identical bills and all the charges were justifiable.
  • Ok, I hate to show how little I know about cars (alhtough I am learning a lot of great info here,) but I'm hearing conflicting reports on breaking in the engine on my new dream car.

I bought a few days ago but between getting the insurance squared away and a couple small items taken care of at the dealer, I've only put about 50 miles on my car.

Now I'm hearing different things on how important it is to break in my engine. Apparently, I should...

-...drive it no faster than 50 mph for the first 500 miles.

-...drive no faster than 60 mph, but keep varying my speeds.

-...not worry about breaking in the engine at all but just go enjoy my car. (I like that one!)

-... not drive my car off the highway beacuse of stops / starts. (Apparently I should just stay on the freeway for the first 500 miles driving no faster than 50 mph but always varying my speeds. I live in Southern California... you can now start a pool as to how quickly I'd be shot.)

-...not accelerate too quickly.

-... not stop too quickly.

After you stop laughing at eith my ignorance or gullability or both, do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance!!!
  • That is funny...my suggestion is...you should have gotten a demo Millenia, like me!! It was already broken...lol

Anyhow...being serious...I thought the break in period was 1500 miles and that you could go over 60 miles an hour, but just that you were not suppose to floor it or drive crazy...no cruise control

hope that helps some
    Any new car engine must be broken. The main reason not to drive constant speed on highway before the engine is broken is to prevent it (the engine) from developing a "harmonic speed". Actually what they meant by speed here is the RPM. That means unless the engine is broken properly it will rattle slightly in the future whenever it reaches that RPM level. After it is broken you will notice a smoother and more quite engine with optimum fuel economy. During that initial period, do not exceed the level of 3000 RPM when starting and cruise at around 2000 RPM. Also do not use oil additives before 2000 miles. The breaking period depends to the engine make. Japanese, American engines require about 1000 initial miles of care. German engines require 2000 miles because they are built tighter, they also last longer.
  • ecafecaf Posts: 44
    I have a '95 S with over 100K. I noticed that the outside temperature gauge (the "AMB" button) only works once the car is warmed up. Upon cold startup, it always registers "99 degrees". Once the engine has been running for a few minutes, it registers the correct outside temperature. Have any of you noticed this, or is my "AMB" feature on the fritz? The automatic climate control is fine; although the fan has gotten a little noisier (too much use?). Nothin' life-threatening. Just curious.
  • Ecaf, your AMB problem is a sign that your Millenia is falling apart. Time to get a new 2001!! That new design actually grew on me, I like it. Seriously, have you had any other problems with your S? I've got 85,700 miles and always contemplate dumping the car off at 90-95k to get value. The other side of the coin is to drive it into the ground. What's your plan of attack, now that you are at the point of no return...over 100k? Are ya still happy?
  • mantagmantag Posts: 47
    sorry, i do not have that problem on my 95 S. Have it checked.
  • I have a 99 Millenia...my amb also takes a few mintutes to read the correct temperature...but it doesn't start at 99 degrees. It usually is about 5-10 degrees off at start-up.
  • ecafecaf Posts: 44
    I'm very happy with my '95 S! Yes, I've had my "Check Engine" light on before. I needed a new O2 sensor and EGR valve at over $300 a piece. Oh yeah, and that goddang outside temp gauge. This seems reasonable for a six year old car that's heavily used. I certainly don't feel that had more than its fair share of unexpected dealer visits. My biggest complaint is the cost of maintenence! Japanese reliability and German costs of maintenance! Thus, the only time I hate the car is at every 60,000 miles (tune-up time), during which time I can be caught browsing a Camry-powered ES300 at the local Lexus dealer! In reality, I'll be glad to keep my Merlot Mica Pearl bad-boy until 175,000 miles or so. I'll buy a new Millenia sooner when Mazda builds a 300-hp Millenia MPS (peep the new 2001 Protege MPS; it's like a baby Altezza/IS300!).
  • My Millenia does the same thing, have to wait for about 1-2 minutes before it shows the correct temprature. But, this problem also affected other cars I've driven; '95 M-Benz C280, '95 BMW 325is, '93 M-Benz 500SEL (even worst took almost 5 minutes), so I'm not concerned about the problem.

The 2001 Millenia's design also grows on me; especially the rear and interior upgrades.

BTW, My 2000 Millenia S (bought in 'Jan 2000) now has a very satisfying 19969 miles.

cheers
  • lyons4lyons4 Posts: 21
    ATTN:EMERALDCITY.I NOTICE IN YOUR MESSAGE THE OTHER DAY YOU SAID THAT YOU WERE USING ZMAX.I RCVD MINE YESTERDAY BUT I HAVE NOT USED IT YET.MY QUESTION IS,CAN YOU REALLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE?IT IS TIME ME TO GET EMISSION CHKD SO I CAN GET MY TAGS HERE IN Ga.I'M TRYING TO DECIDE TO PUT ZMAX IN BEFORE OR AFTER.WHAT'S YOUR OPINION ? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR THAT OPINION.:)
  • lyons4lyons4 Posts: 21
    EMERALDCITY.I MET TO MENTION THAT I HAVE A "95" MILLENIA L MODEL WITH 77,000 MILES ON IT.ALSO I HAVE ABOUT 2500 MILES ON THE OIL IN MY CAR NOW & I WAS WONDERING IF I SHOULD CHANGE BEFORE HAND.THANKS AGAIN.
  • For those of you live in SoCal, there's a great deal on 2000 Millenia S. I just saw an ad on newspaer for a 2000 Mill S for $23195+tax+lic. I don't know what color it is, but it's two-tone color with four season package. It's at West Covina Mazda.
    BTW, I saw a red 2001 Millenia P on LAX this morning, first time I've seen it on the road. The rear is so beautifully design, that I followed the car until he went to the parking lot.
    Note to Infinity I30 designer, DO NOT copy Millenia's new rear design.

cheers
  • Ok.. it looks like its expensive to own a Millenia. Do I relly want to get one? I have had 2 RX 7's in the past and I loved them. Right now in So Cal OC, their offering up to $8000.00 off on all 2000 millenia! Hows the ride compared to a 2000 Maxima? Any rattles after a year? The base model's engine enough? BD6