Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• kngmke1kngmke1 Posts: 14
    Yes, I should have said "Faux" HID lighting, but I did find the article interesting.
  • ae86ae86 Posts: 6
    hi
    have anyone seen a body kit for millenia s??
    i saw one in the may 2001 issue of SCC magazine...
    the ad is located on the side of the miata vs mr-s article. i had e-mailed the company about info about 3 weeks ago, however, there's no response..thx
  • luv94rx7luv94rx7 Posts: 11
    If I turn off TCS(Traction Control System) will this improve my MPG??? It seems to improve take off performance on dry roads.

Ken
  • gtspecgtspec Posts: 55
    Hi ae86, the body kit is by "SARONA DESIGN", and it'll cost you $1,390 (4 pieces). This store is near my house in Queens, New York. I went to the store and looked at the kit installed on a Millenia, WOW! It looks PHAT!!! However, I think the price is kindda HIGH, a normal 4 piece body kit cost around $900. I think the reason is because not many people buy them, so the price needs to be higher in order to compensate the developement cost of the kit. Hope this helps you!

Andy
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    The TCS (Traction Control System) is automatically engaged when front wheel spin is detected. It reduces torque to the front wheels by retarding engine timing and reducing fuel flow to bring the torque down. It is a transparent action and most drivers will not notice it happening.

If your take-off performance is improving on dry roads with TCS turned off, then you are spinning the front tires slightly. With TCS turned off, the engine computer is not reducing torque to counteract wheel spin, thus the better take-off performance. If anything, turning TCS off will decrease your gas mileage, but it would hardly be noticable. I have always found that the best way to "take-off" in a Millenia (particularly the S) is to gradually apply throttle, keeping wheelspin to a bare minimum and not activating the TCS, while giving you great performance once you are moving.
    ?. I have a 2000 ME with 5K on it. I notice a strong convertor smell when parking in the garage at night. It does dissipate as it cools off. Is there a break in period associated with that or is it time to visit the dealer?
  • viking13viking13 Posts: 4
    I am very close to buying a 2001 Millenia P - non-supercharged. Three dealers have given me different stories on the grade of gas required - everything from "using regular grade is OK" and will not void a warranty to "you must use premium" for the car to run properly. What's the real story. With the current incentives offered by Mazda, this could be a great buy ($23K) but I don't want to be filling up with $2.00+ a gallon premium gas. What's the real story on the grade of fuel to use in a "P" Millenia??
    The 2000 manual says you can use 87 octane.
  • mantagmantag Posts: 47
    i hate to run this prem gas thing into the ground, but if the 2000 manual says you can use 87 regular, and the engines have not changed since 95, can you use 87 for all model years? i am assuming this is ok for the non-S version
    The last time I looked, this was the case:

91 Octane requirements:

2.5L DOHC V6 Reccomended
    2.3L DOHC V6 Required

The 2.5L should run fine on 87 octane, but it will produce less power. The 170/160hp rating is achieved using 91 octane fuel. The Miller-Cycle 2.3L is designed to run ONLY on 91 octane or higher!
  • emjantam1emjantam1 Posts: 1
    Any advice Millenia fans? I have a 1993 Mazda 626ES and am on the edge of buying a 1995 Millenia
    "S". This car is gorgeous, with 71,400 babied miles ~ it looks new. But after reading various publications including consumer reports, the Engine gets a big black dot for numerous problems reported as well as bad marks for the cooling system. I have read some of the previous posting and notice mention of the supercharger and the radiator. Whats your recommendation ~ the deal is set to close Tuesday so help would be appreciated from anyone out there.
    Thanks, Mike
  • ken132ken132 Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Mazda Millenia with 52,000 miles on it. A few days ago I was going down the freeway at 65 - the speed limit - when the engine
    seized up or so the dealer tells me. They say this is due to not changing the oil. In their view sludge caused the camshaft to seize. I have changed the oil of course, but I cannot prove this as I keep no receipts. Does anyone know if this model Mazda has a history of this type of problem? Does Mazda have a hidden warranty or service bulletins on this issue? Any help
    would be appreciated as Mazda wants $10,000 for a new engine.
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Posts: 215
    I personally wouldn't touch a '95 Millenia S, but others might disagree with me. There're more known problems with the '95 model year (the S model only) compared to other model years. I currently own a 2000 Millenia S, problem free for 27900 miles now. I'm also looking for a used millenia for my wife, year '96, '97 or '98. Not looking for the S model though, just the standard model with leather. BTW, any of you know if the dark blue on the '98 model is the same as those in '95 and '96?

cheers
  • herndonsherndons Posts: 17
    Hi
    I am getting ready to replace the junk factory Panasonic in my 95 Millenia. Does anybody have insight on how to do this. I haven't dived into it but did take a look. After removing the two side trim pieces there are holes similar to the way Ford has there stereos. Does it simply require some bent hanger to be inserted into these holes and bent out? Similar to the Fords? Or is there other things I need to know? Thanks ahead of time.
    Hi ken132
    What engine do you have? If it is a 2.5L, I might have some insight. I recently purchases a 95 Millenia with a 2.5L and had the same problem. However, the engine didn't get to the point of seizing up. What happened was, the valve covers leaked and at one point, and the engine was starved for oil. After replacing the valve cover gaskets, it was still leaking the vicinity of the valve cover. The only thing left was the camshaft seal. After removing the valve cover and the camshaft seal, big trouble! The front camshaft on the front head had ground into the head and removed so much material that the camshaft was close to breaking. I had to replace the head and both camshafts. What a nightmare. Very expensive. However, the dealer told me that it was common. And the main reason was due to a faulty oil pressure switch that tended to blow out on the 2.5Ls. You might want to check that out. However, the 2.5L is a very intricate and complicated engine (although it may not seem like it, with no power at all!). If any of your oil passages fill with sludge, you are really asking for it! The cams ride on the heads (not like the older pushrod engines with bearings) If you are not feeding oil to these cams, forget it! I don't know what other advice to give you? I can tell you that if it is not covered under warranty, expect to pay an arm and leg to get this fixed. A new head and camshafts cost me $2600 installed!
    Hi
    I own a 95 Millenia with close to 88,000 miles. The car is perfect except for a transmission that isn't very smooth. Depending on how fast I accelerate, the engine often shift pretty hard into gear. Never slips, but is sometimes clunky. Looking at previous posts, it seems that this is just how the Millenia transmission are. A little clunky at times. The dealership informs me that this is very true and not much to worry. He says to worry if you slip. The transmission was serviced about 1000 miles ago. Does anybody else have anything to say about this?
  • ddrake30ddrake30 Posts: 18
    The factory radio is pretty simple to remove, basically as you suggested. Once you remove the trim tabs on either side of the radio, you'll see four holes. You'll need 4 DIN clips (U-shaped metal clips with a little hook on each end), which when inserted correctly and pulled simultaneously inward or outward (I don't remember which) will allow you to slide the radio out. Never worked on a ford radio, but I assume the coat hanger trick might work in this situation, too.
  • mantagmantag Posts: 47
    sorry, i may be too late emajtan1. i have a 95 s . really has been a good car. still get the looks. change oil every 5k, rotate tires etc. yep, when things do need replaced/fixed it ain't cheap! Prepare to spend around $700-800 for your 90k service. the items i have done not considered regular maint. are the front wheel bearings($500)and valve cover gaskets(500-600) I too have seen the consumer reports review about the engine. If you don't take car of your car or any car, you will run into problems. just make sure you change oil religiously. not sure what else to look for preventive maint. wise re: the air compressor going bad on the s model. i hear it is around 3-4K for a new one.
  • skompieskompie Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm interested in buying a 97 s off of my boss. He wants $15,000 CAD (10,000 USD approx.) and it has 158,000 km on it. (100,000 mi) Is this a good deal? What can I expect in the way of repairs with a vehicle with this much mileage? I really like the car it looks like it's in good shape and I asked if he gets it regularly serviced and he complied of course.One thing that through me off was that he told me you only have change the oil every 15,000 km (approx. 9,000 mi) is this true?
    I just saw a good deal on eBay for anyone who wants to replace or upgrade their Millenia's wood dash trim; check out Item #591997605, or click the link below!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=591997605&r=0&t=0
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Posts: 215
    I personally wouldn't buy any car that has over 100K miles on it. But this one is a 97 S, which should have a better record than the 95s. What's the market like over there for a 97 Millenia S, if you think this is a good deal then get it. Ask your boss if he'd already did the 90K miles service, which should have changed the timing belt on the car. This cost about US $900 I heard. As far as changing oil, I changed mine every 3000 miles.

2000 Millenia S, still going strong at 28,200 miles.

cheers
  • I've just purchased a new 2001 Millenia I (to be picked up in two days). I was not planning to buy the I model but did so in the end. For those of you who have owned a Millenia I with its Miller-cycle V6 engine, I would like to get your opinion as to whether to purchase the extended warranty. I was not planning to but the dealer kept telling me to think about it. I cannot help but wonder if there was a more specific reason he was advising me to purchase it other than the fact that he would make more money. In other words, is there any kind of history of problems with Miller-cycle engines after the third year? Please advise.
  • jmadams1jmadams1 Posts: 2
    As far as changing the oil, the book recommends changing it between 5,000 and 7,500 miles. 9000 is a bit high and I would be very weary to purchase one that followed this schedule. Good Luck
  • jmadams1jmadams1 Posts: 2
    I've seen a few posts on gas milage, so I thought I'd add mine. I have a 2000 Millenia S with all the fixin's. I did a recent trip from San Francisco to Vegas. At a cruising speed between 75 and 80 mph and air conditioning on (it was hot,) it yielded 27.5 mpg. When I drive a little slower, like 65 mph, I get about 28. -John
  • ae86ae86 Posts: 6
    first of all, i think the S model is one that equips with the 2.3L engine, not the L. Secondly, i would recommend you to purchase the extended warranty if you would not mod the car and would it for a long time. I have a 2000 S and got the 7 yr extened warranty as well. I bought the warranty because the parts for S can be extremely $$ and the warranty only costs 1500 along with road side assistant. i think it's a deal! however, i can't change the suspension system for my car =| anyways, enjoy ur millenia!
  • spridledogspridledog Posts: 63
    I own a 1996 Millenia S, pearl white, chrome wheels, cold weather package, CD changer, etc. - loaded. It has 54,800 miles on it, and is incredibly clean inside and out. The car is pretty much mint. The Michelin tires have 10,000 miles on them. Even the stock floor mats are spotless - I've always used winter mats, all year 'round! According to Edmunds, the trade-in value is $11,147. According to KBB.com, trade-in is $12,280. I am trying to trade this car in for a new Audi S4. However, the local Audi dealer (I'm in Northeast Ohio) insists that all he can give me is $9,500!! What am I missing? Any ideas?! Thanks....
    Hi guys, I just saw another great deal on eBay for a set of four 1998 Mazda Millenia-S Polished OEM Wheels for 5 bucks, check it out! It's Item#592090843, or click the link below;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592090843&r=0&t=0
    $9,500 for your Millenia S in the condition and mileage you described is a bit low. However, you must subtract the cost of reconditioning, safety, and emissions inspection from the trade-in values quoted from the different sites. Also, a used Millenia S is a hard sale due to the unique engine and low consumer awareness. The dealership is probably predicting a low value when they sell it, or they may not keep the vehicle for retail and may wholesale the vehicle or send it out to auction. Visit a Mazda dealership and see how much they will give you for it, since a Mazda dealership would definitely keep the car for retail. Good luck!!
  • phatpatphatpat Posts: 22
    I have a 95 Millenia S and just hit 52,000 last night. I am at work and about 5 minutes ago was called out by a co-worker about a leak from the front end. I went out and checked and it appears to be transmission fluid leaking. I started the car to check for any abnormal noises and heard none. I then checked again and noticed the drip picked up a little. I will definitely take it in tomorrow but are there any ideas out there to what this might be? Right now is not the time for engine problems. Thanks in advance for any input.