Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• nvedraninvedrani Member Posts: 58
    the chrome wheels look perfect and the alloys would definitely look stupid (ie. they wouldn't match the paint well - Highlight Mica Silver - nor the trim: CHROME) - I, as well as Obioha1, have received numerous compliments from varying age groups in regards to the overall appeal of the car's cosmetics....it flows nicely.....look for yourself at the edmunds photo of the silver millenium ed. for the year 2000 (only one they show)....my car woud not look right with your everyday..yawn...alloys...JMHO...
  • sizzla123sizzla123 Member Posts: 18
    I currently drive a Passat, and I'm in need for a new sedan. Since I have a certain budget, the Millenia's current incentives and rebates make it very interesting. I would like to get some input from some regarding the difference between the engine in the "S" (2.5L 170hp) model and the engine in the "P" (2.3L 210hp) model. Is the performance that much better in the "P" model that it justifies the additional 3k? Thanx
  • acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    Quote fwatson: "I guess I am not young enough to agree with that. I personally do not like any chrome wheels at all (not just MM). They seem gaudy and dare I say cheap looking to me. OTOH, the stock wheels on the '01 P are nearly a color match for the Platinum Silver body of the car. This gives it a monochrome appearance I find very pleasing."

==================================================

fwatson, you're not to old, you just have really bad taste! (just playin) :-) But on the serious note, the chromes on the platinum Mill unquestionabley (IMO) mates well with the brilliant finish on the platinum Mill's. (u ever seen a platinum mill w/chromes passing you by at night?) Furthermore, Mazda utilizes 5 year chrome plating technology on the wheels, which is literally the best quality chrome plating that is utilized; even in the aftermarket arena. This is another reason why I opted for them.

I concur with nvedrani's comments regarding this topic. The non-chrome option looks cheap 16" or 17". The mono-chrome look is downright gaudy, yuk; to much of the same thing isn't good for you. The next best alternative to chrome on a Mill would be a Machined Finished wheel; especially on the platinum skin.
  • obioha1obioha1 Member Posts: 27
    I personally think that the S is worth the extra 3k, because of the performance (210HP), look (the 17inch wheels), slightly better handling(addition of rear sway bar). I've only had the S model(a '96 S and now a '99 S)and I test drove a '02 P and the car was nice but seriously lacked the instantaneous performance I was use to in the S. I really think that if you've never owned the S that the P would be fine, but I personally need the extra performance. Both cars will offer discrete luxury, high reliability, good looks(ask everyone on the board about the compliments they receive)and performance(the S model) So it will come ultimately come down to whether the diminished performance will matter to you and how long i.e. how many miles you will put on your car for duration of your financing. The reason I bring up the last point is because at 60,000 miles the S requires timing belt change, spark plug change, adjusting of the engine valves, and other "stuff" This comes out to around $2100. For the P, I believe that this service is around $500 or $600. Although quite a bit into the future, is something to consider if you plan on long term ownership, i.e. 5yrs or more. Hope this helps.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    This is funny. Check my answer to sizzla123 in the Nissan Maxima v Mazda Millenia thread. We gave him almost identical advice from two different perspectives. :-)
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The wife and I went to see the MM the other day. I liked the looks of both the exterior and the interior. My wife ,however, found the passenger seat to be the worst that she has sat in. We have looked at the Camry, TL, RL, G20, I35, and the ES300. Even I, who usually likes all of the seats, found the MM seats to be uncomfortable. This factor knocks the MM out of the running. It was too bad because other than the seats the MM was not a bad car. Do not feel too bad because my wife hated the TL's seats too so that model is also out of the running. Oh, by the way, the wife loves the seats in the RL and ES300 (the two most expensive models). So thanks for all the info on the MM but will not be buying it.
  • rocketman11rocketman11 Member Posts: 7
    This is my first post, I have a 98 base model, and I just love it. I feel sorry for the folks that bought a 95 millenia. I just have to say that my 98's been treating me fine.

I have 61K miles on it now, and I read some posts that say that I can wait till 105K miles to change the timing belt. The manual says that California residents do not need to replace the belt till 90K miles. Anyone know why?

and I have to say thanks to Edmunds for making these Town Hall Chats available.
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    It was worth for me (26K for '01S bought in July 2001)... the S model also adds rear anti-roll bar, and lower profile 17" tires (I think 16 inchers are standard on the P). It corners MUCH flatter than the P.
    And I don't plan to keep mine for more than 4 years or so, so the 60K service isn't something I worry about.

Test drive them yourself, some folks find 170HP just fine and they don't like the stiffer ride of the S model.

Tomek
    Go by what the manual says.
    I noticed my car had the best gas mileage when I put in a Synthetic blend oil during the oil change. I now change it every 7500 miles. The regular oil seems to breakdown around 3K miles. I also do Mobil oil changes. Their oil ,based on advertisements, supposedly cleans the engine as well. Anyone use pure synthetic? How long do you go between changes?

I put in 89 Octane gas as well. But it has to be detergent gasoline ie from Mobil or Texaco in the northeast. It has been hit or miss with Exxon. Although they say they put detergent in all grades, some of the independent owners do not put detergent in their 89 octanes.
    The manual says that I can change the oil every 7500 miles. If I tried to do this with a regular oil, the oil would probably disappear.
    I read an Article in Maxim amagazine that says that Mobil gives you about 90 octane for the price of 89. Not a bad deal.
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    The Assembly feels that anything related to emissions (which engine timing certainly is) must be good for 100,000 miles, so manufacturers tailor their recommendations to the state's specifications, despite the fact that it's the same damn belt used in the other 49 states and there's nothing in it whatsoever which would make it last any longer just by being in California.

Or you could look at it from the other direction and think, "Why should my belt die forty thousand miles early just because I live in [fill in name of appropriate state]?"

Then there's my point of view, which boils down to "Twenty-five thousand dollars or more for a car and you can't afford three hundred for a timing belt?"
    Can any other Californians comment on when they replaced their timing belt. Thanks for the feedback.
    I know somebody who went 149K miles on 1.8L (?) Mazda MX3 on original belt, before he totaled the car. It was in MA, though...
    The Miller-cycle is no-interference engine, so even if the belt brakes (unlikely) it won't result in engine damage.

That's my $0.02 . . . and to windowphobe's point "Twenty-five thousand dollars or more for a car and you can't afford three hundred for a timing belt?" - it's not question of being able to afford it but a question of willing to do something unnecessary and pay for it!

Tomek
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    "So far," said the mechanic, "we've found six bent valves and a seriously bruised piston. Maybe nine fifty, probably a thousand after tax and shop supplies and all that."

And the customer smiled, because he'd already saved nearly a third of it.

Obviously this won't happen to everyone - not every engine is designed this way - but you really can't count on things failing right when you're pulling into the shop for an oil change, either.
    Bent valves? Again, the Miller-cycle is non-interference engine. I had asked my service advisor before I bought the car...

And why is the timing belt good for 90K miles in CA and not in other states? They want you to go for service you don't really NEED and charge you good money for it. If your peace of mind is worth it to you then go for it. I wouldn't.

Tomek
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    What kinds of "real world" prices are people paying for the 2002 Millenia (P or S)? I've read that there are deep discounts and mfg rebates on this car. Plus this is the last year for the MM.

Also has anyone purchased a Millenia (or any other Mazda for that matter) using a Ford A or X plan? If so, how did it work and how much did you save?

I looked on the Smart Shopper board, but didn't see any such topics for the Millenia.

Thanks!
    I bought an extended warranty so the cost of the timing belt is not the issue. If the car should last me 250K miles, like many of you have said, I'd rather change the timing belt twice as opposed to 4 times.

Has anyone had their waterpump replaced? When did you have it done? I asked the dealer, and they told me not to worry about it with the 60k mile timing belt change.
    I am trying to upgrade my Cd changer in my 98, and everything on the web says that I should check if the system has cd changer controls. Does the 98 bose factory system have cd changer controls?
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    You should have cd changer controls on the factory system...you just have to make sure to get a changer that works with them.
  • ddrake30ddrake30 Member Posts: 18
    I got the timing belt on my '96L replaced about six months ago at my local mazda dealership. Coincidence or not, the water pump starting leaking a day or two later. After getting frustrated with the dealership, I got an independent shop to replace the pump (it cost nearly as much as to replace the belt). This owner of this shop was amazed that the dealership didn't go ahead and replace the pump when they were changing the belt since it requires no additional labor and the part is fairly cheap. I've definitely learned my lesson...
  • csuftitanscsuftitans Member Posts: 215
    silvercrown, you can expect about $22K for the P and $25 for the S model.
  • lyons4lyons4 Member Posts: 21
    ddrake.
    Back in 1999 my water pump went out in my 1995L MM and the dealership did go ahead & changed the timing belt. I did have a warranty on the car but it only paid for the part that was broken (water pump). The timing belt cost me $450.
    Also I just purchased a 2002P SE black wth the ivory interior for $22,500 this is the drive off price. Now I did trade in my 1995L which had a balance of $3100 with my bank. The car had some damage to the interior but it was silver which is popular & it only had 87k miles on it.
    **To anyone,was this a good deal?**
  • masonovichmasonovich Member Posts: 5
    Hello All!
    I have a 98 Premium MM. Love it! I would like to protect the front end as I am on the highway frequently. Local Mazda dealer cost for a full front end bra is $119. LeBra website is at $92.99 for a full bra. I would rather simply get the top part of the bra to cover the hood instead of the wrap around bumper full size bra, but cannot seem to locate one. Do you know of any other sites I could check out???
    Thanks in advance for your responses!!
  • silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    Thanks for the info. I really like the looks of the Millenia but I never thought I could afford one until I read about the pricing discounts on this board. With this being the last year and me having access to both a Ford A and X discount plan, maybe .....
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    I should know this by now (as much as I've been hanging around this board). What are the differences between the 01 and 02 Millenia P? I'm not sure there are any. Thanks in advance.
    As far as I know, they are identical.
  • acabral1acabral1 Member Posts: 122
    There are no differences between the two model years. However, there is one exception; some '02 Millenia will be equipped with the auto-dimming mirror feature from the factory assembly line.

Albeit, any model year Mill can have this feature added to the car for a nonimal install fee, unless installed personally.
  • sooner3sooner3 Member Posts: 2
    My 95 Millinia A/C recently started acting up. While in the cooling mode the heater is coming on as the fan is blowing very hot air, even though the A/C compressor is engaged (and is working as the suction line is cold). It seems to cycle between cooling and heating. Is there some kind of heating control valve that could be stuck open or a bad thermostat? Thanks for your help!
    Do you guys think I'm right in my thinking here... Would it make any since to buy a used 01 w/ 22k miles (no options) for $19k vs. a new 02 for $22k or so? The used dealers won't budge much on their prices - they seem to be oblivious to the fact that there is $5k dealer cash on the new ones. I think I'd be better off with new when considering the low discount on the used. Any opinions? My wife says this seems obvious - I'm looking for justification to get me off the dime here!!!
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    IMO, this is an easy decision: GET THE NEW ONE.
    2 dealers in the Boston area advertise Millenia P for 20,999 (MSRP is ~28.5K).

jonbgood - I'd go with the new one, 2K in price difference, but you get full warranty and newer model year

Tomek
    Courtesy Mazda in Tampa is advertising P at $18995 plus shipping and $1000 trade or downpayment. That makes it just over $20500. Go for the new one. That's the price of a mediocre family car in the CamCord class, for a fully equipped leather and moonroof equipped near luxury car.

Don't worry about the depreciation, Mazda is absorbing it.

Frank
    Thanks for good information. Thats an incredible deal! Invoice (per Edmunds) is $26,456. I believe dealer cash is $5k. I wonder if theres a little footnote on the add that reads "+shipping" or something to that effect. I did notice several classifieds from different parts of the country the other day @ DFW airport that had same deal with the shipping in very small print. STill a fantastic bargain.
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    and was very impressed with the power out of the VW's 4 cylinder 1.8 liter turbo engine. The Millenia P and A4 weight about the same, the horsepower output is the same, the A4 uses a 4 cylinder engine and still out accelerates a Millenia P easily. Still don't understand why Mazda couldn't/won't get more juice out of their 2.5Liter V6.
    Actually, no . . . I think one dealer advertises 3 cars at that price (they give the stock numbers) and yes, they do show the 5K rebate in the ad. I think you'd be able to pay that if you're buying cash, but they'll get you on your trade-in, if you have one.

OTOH, you never know with car dealers!

Tomek
    Speedracer,

was it auto you drove?

Funny thing, 5 years ago 170hp was a lot... I remember 105 hp (?) passat gls with 2 liter 4. Times change (vide the 260hp Infinity).

I think what lets Millenia down (both P and S) is the auto tranny (far from Lexus-smooth) and lack of manual transmission. Just imagine what the Miller cycle engine could do when paired with a stickshift. This is what I miss the most from my Passat GLX - V6 with stickshift . . . unless I'm stuck in Boston traffic. Oh well, compromises.

Tomek
    Quote:"far from Lexus-smooth"

Maybe you should read the forums:

"Lexus ES 300"

and

"What's Wrong With Lexus???"
    I drove the A4 front wheel drive multitronic (CVT). BTW...loved that tranny, had lots of fun shifting through the six virtual gears.
    The GS300 and IS300 I test drove did shift better than my Millenia S (especially the GS300, but what else would you expect at 44K out the door) . . . I didn't test the ES300.

Tomek
    Yeah, I've heard it is a breakthrough in transmission technology. I need to find the time for a test drive!
    So, this tranny is supposedly as efficient as manual transamission, hence better acceleration than with "regular" slushbox. I'm sure 1.8T Tiptronic would be similar in terms of accelleration to Millenia P.
    Continously Variable Trasmission (CVT) is not really a new technology, it has been around for a few years, it is slowly making its way into newer cars. One of the weird things about CVT is that there is no sensation of shifting at all, the car just accelerates without hesitation, like if it was on the same gear. This weird sensation is probably why some people don't like this type of tranny (they are used to a noticeble shift). Now I must say, that when in manual mode, it is the best auto-manual I've driven so far. Very quick and responsive. The gears are virtual gears, they could add as many as they want, but Audi uses 6 gears for the A4. The other good thing about CVT is that it makes the car as quick as a stick shift, and just as economical.

0-60's are as follows:

A4 1.8T FWD CVT: 7.8 secs
    A4 3.0L FWD CVT: 6.8 secs
    Mazda Millenia P: ??
    Mazda Millenia S: 8.2 secs??
    Quote:"The GS300 and IS300 I test drove did shift better than my Millenia S (especially the GS300, but what else would you expect at 44K out the door)"

My '95 Olds also shifts smoother under some conditions. Auto transmissions is one thing GM has under control. That said, I would consider my Millenia's shifting different, as opposed to wrong. My point above was that ES300 owners are griping about the shifting of their new Lexus'. I think in this type of car, we tend to get rather nitpicky for lack of something important to complain about.
    "we tend to get rather nitpicky for lack of something important to complain about"
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head. When I think of the first car I had... that had some things to complaint about!!!
    Tomek
    For those of us who do our own maintenance, here is a list of 3 1/2 inch long filters that can be used in place of the stock 2 1/2 inch filters on both engines in our Millenia's.

I had posted it in the Oil Filter thread, and copied it over here.

=============================================

Long filters for Mazda Millenia P and S.

1-NAPA Gold 1356
    2-Big A 92356
    3-CarQuest 85356
    4-Deutsch D-370
    5-STP S-02867
    6-Fram PH7317
    7-Motorcraft FL822
    8-Purolator L14620
    9-Wix 51356
    10-Bosch 3323
    11-Castrol 7317 (looks like Wix)
    12-Penske 7317 (looks like Wix)
    13-A/C Delco PF2057
    14-Lee LF2867
    15-Champ PH2867

I think any Champion Lab manufactured filter with 2867 would also match, just a guess.

I didn't crosscheck Pure1, KN and others, but those two are also Champion.

An interesting sidenote. Many Japanese motorcycles use this filter too. That is where part of the information came from.
    I am using a Penske filter on my Millenia, and finally found confirmation that it is a rebadged Wix.

===============================================

" From Open Roads Forum

dan32240
    Gastonia

Date Posted: Apr 08, 2002 8:40 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am retired from Wix filters and the Napa Gold is run on the same production line as the same Wix numbers.We made filters for catapillar,Big A Ford oem,Carquest,Texaco.Make Penske now and the Silver Napa is also a pretty good filter.Used to make filters for Cat diesels but they got to picky and left.Make a lot of heavy filters for all big rigs."

There was a following post confirming this one.
    I know this is rather boring, but my '01 MM came without a cargo net in the trunk. I am about 80 miles from the dealer, so I can't go look at one very easily. What I'd like to know is, if I order a net, do I need to order fasteners to attach it in the trunk? I don't see any hooks or such to hold a net in place. If so what is the part # for them? Or do they come with the net?

Thanks
  • milleniaman1milleniaman1 Member Posts: 110
    The Millenia Cargo Net comes with fastners. I use my cargo net to keep my $500 briefcase from getting thrown around the trunk...so I do find it to be useful.