Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Millenia

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    I have removed some messages that contain personal attacks in accordance with your Membership Agreement.

I will be happy to discuss the issues off-line if anyone wishes to email me - pat@edmunds.com. Also, you are welcome to get in touch with our Consumer Services Manager, Jonah Brown, who is ultimately the person in charge of the Town Hall. You can email him here: jbrown@edmunds.com.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    You won't find much on the Yahoo boards unless you are interested in body kits, red painted brake calipers and 20 inch wheels. I have followed all the Mazda and Millenia boards for 4 months, and this is the only one that I generally bother to respond to. The others seldom have any mature discussion.

I'm just not interested in their attempts to change their cars with custom parts etc. If that is your thing, good luck.

This is the best moderated forum I have ever been a part of.
  • You're right about the Miller Cycle not having any lag like the base engine. After having driven a 99 base for 2 years...I can tell a major difference in having the S model. Eventhough I'm not getting great gas mileage...I'm having a lot more fun driving the S, then I did the 2.5L.
  • Come on Tommek dont let the host get to you, actually i think you and fwatson give the best advise on this board.Stick around and enlighten folks more about the great Millenia.

As for me I gave back my Millenia to the bank- lease expired.I am test driving a lot of goodies out there just having fun until the bonus check arrives in late March.

One point I have to make regarding the Acura 3.2 TL, this car has a lot of horses,but it labors at high RPM'S I crossed it off my list.Give me some feedback on this TL issue
  • He is not relaying any informative help - he is just being a jerk. Call Eibach and ask them for recomendations - also check
    www.sounddomain.com
    Search "member pages" for Mazda Millenia (there are like 15 or so listed) a few people there have lowered their Millenia's and may have more advice for you and their emails are usually listed unlike here. The Millenia (IMHO) is already too low.
    Hence the old saying "if it's not broken don't fix it". Good luck!
  • Your mechanic may be correct. Carbon buildup is usually caused by leakey valve seals, cylinder blowby, but in the case of the 95S by worn (mechanical) seals on the Lysholm Compressor (S/C). This last one can easily be checked by removing the front intercooler (only four bolts to remove). Mazda has an M-tip on this situation. If you wish I will email it to you,
  • It is definitely not a sticking hydraulic lifter because the S has solid lifters.
    Your slight smoking after startup will most assuredly become a hugh cloud in the not too distant future (20,000 miles or so)
  • Any comments on Mazda dropping the Millenia for 2003?
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    near certain...
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    tomcat...

the primary reason for dropping the Millenia is due to emmissions regulations. The current car does not come close to the latest EPA requirements.
  • doepeldoepel Posts: 20
    Please email me this M-tip as well. Thanks...
  • I have done extensive research on this Miller Cycle, Five SAE papers written by Mazda and IHI.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To:
    Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 9:40 PM
    Subject: [mazda]

This is a M-tip for the compressor...there is no TSB....
    Doug Auchey
    Mazda Master Tech
    Mazda South
    Austin Texas
    www.mazdastuff.com
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: M-tip Lysholm Compressor
    Sent: Monday, January 08, 2001 1:51 PM
    Text Editor COL 1 TO 72 OF
    72 BRWS
    ....+....1....+....2....+....3....+....4....+....5....+....6....+....7..
    TOP 0002547 Dealer Repair Information
    *==* Excessive oil consumption under normal engine running conditions.
    *==**==* Disconnect air intake pipe from the front charge air cooler and
    inspect
    *==* for excessive oil in the pipe and cooler. If excessive oil is found
    *==* replace the lysholm compressor*==**==* Parts Information:
    *==* The lyshom compressor was modified to reduce this concern starting
    with*==* part number KJ01-20-7AXC*==**==* Production Information:
    *==* The modified compressor has been installed at production since
    January 1, 1995. Starting with Vin No. JM1TA222*S1381777 BOT

Text is inquiry mode only. F3=Exit.
    1-Hlp 2-Can 3-End 4-F/C 5-RFd 6-RCh 7-Up 8-Dwn 9-Top 10-Lft 11-Rt
    12-Btm
  • Replacing the seals is not an option. I don't know what comes first but there is a twofold problem which will make repair of the Lysholm prohibitively expensive. The seals and the timing gear on the L/C seem to wear quickly (between 60,000 and 90,000 miles). The L/C B rotor spins at ~6 times engine rpm, when new the rotors do not touch each other or the case, the timing gear keeps them in exact sync. As the timing gear wears the rotors rub against each other creating great friction and heat as the
    b rotor spins to it's max of 37,000 rpm.
  • Has anyone experienced problems with the electronic heater controls on these cars, as described in my message #1219, Jan. 30, 2002?
    Mine regulates the AC ok in summer, but in the winter it really overheats the car on defrost, and doesn't work very well at all when on automatic. Is it just mine? My dealer hasn't been able to fix it so far, and I would like to know how many others have had this, and were they able to get it fixed.
  • Those who are looking for a good deal on MM -S. It can be bought for 22.5K in NYC Long Island - Great Neck area. it seems like a good price even if it is 2001(brand new left over). The ad comes from Friday's Newsday. Ciao ! SAXON II
  • To Rzawarski: I am glad that you post on this board unlike other people you seem to tell it like it is and as much as I enjoy heated debate and exchange of ideas, having my address posted on this board (as done by Tomekk and then being upset with Pat for taking it down and leaving this forum) is not something that I seek. Be that as it may my question is:
    What is your honest and unbiased opinion on
    Mazda Millenia S specifically its compressor?
    Thanx and keep the spicy posts going!
    Ciao SAXON II
  • acabral1acabral1 Posts: 122
    rzawarski, Everything you stated is completley inaccurate! The 01/02 MM-S has front and rears sway-bars, you can clearly see them! (I own one) That is if you know what they are. Furthermore, the Miller Cycle is a Centrifugal Supercharger! I have a detailed comparative analysis on each major supercharger and turbocharger, detailing the pros/cons of each!

It's obvious (I hope!) your intentions were to purposely miscomprehend my comments of the Manumatic transmissions as being a selling "gimmick". Bye the way, the 01/02 Millenia's does have a more refined suspsension, and chassis, improving handling. (owned a predecessor too).
    My friend, to much of your imformation referencing the Millenia and my previous post is INACCURATE. The MM-S uses a L-Compressor YES! But the engine is a Centrifugal Supercharger.

I always welcome educated comments toward my posts, but spare the snide remarks! Let's keep the forum as civilized & professional as possible.

Regards,
    rzawarski, I had to quote your comments below! Oh Boy! C'mon dude, try again! Your comments below aren't simply subjective thier (expletive) Factory equipped brakes are always mediocore, unless they're slotted or crossed-drilled and EOM. Please note that I am not arguing the facts, just your $0.02 (where did you'll find this guy)

Written by: rzawarski

"The Only important change to the Millenia since it's debut in 95 was the front brake change to ~1" larger disc's. This made a vast improvement in stopping distance (from 144' to 122' from 60mph). Aparently few people in this group consider better brakes important>"
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    How good is the base 2.5-liter DOHC V-6 engine when it comes to overall reliability and durability?
  • fwatsonfwatson Posts: 639
    by jrosasmc Feb 03, 2002 (09:17 am)

"How good is the base 2.5-liter DOHC V-6 engine when it comes to overall reliability and durability?"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I only have 4400 miles on my new 2001 P (2.5L), but it has been trouble free so far. The best advice I can give you is to go to Carpoint,

http://carpoint.msn.com/home/reliability_ratings.asp

or Consumer Reports and compare the charts.

Both show this engine to be virtually bulletproof except for the '95 and '96 models had a spark plug wire problem that was taken care of in subsequent models. Carpoint shows it with all top rated marks from '95 through '99, other than the spark plug wire problem. That is as new as they show, but the engine has not changed since then, so the results should still be valid. Their information is obtained from professional mechanics. Consumer reports also gives it all top ratings, and their information is obtained from owners through mailed out questionaires. I also read four online Millenia forums, and see no indication from comments on these boards that there is any inherent problem with this engine.

The following is a quote on Carpoint concerning their rating on the engine. "Infrequent problems reported, all with low repair costs."

I partially based my decision to buy my car on these reports. You can also find other information by researching on the web.

• The Auto heat problem can be solved by not using the Auto mode in winter and making sure the A/C is off. Simply set the temperature to 70 degrees and the blower to 2nd speed and the car will be kept at that temperature.
  • The primary reason for dropping the Millenia is poor sales. The secondary but important reason is that the MM was designed at a time when the Japanese Engineers (especially Mazda) were king and cost was no object. Well it is a big object and the MM cost too much to build. A case in point is the suspension both front and rear suspension are multi-link, (Edmonds is wrong in saying the front suspension is Struts [i.e. McPherson?], the most expensive and sophisticated
    used on cars.
    The K series engines KL and KJ are probably the most expensive V6's in the industry and that's why Ford decided to drop further development and not attempt to meet emmmision requirements.
    Your first and second reasons are wrong.

try again
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    As much as it hurts...

Mazda has milked the Mill for about as much as it can. It was never intended to be a Mazda but was a last minute effort to get something out of the high bucks that they spent to develop it.
  • My mother was looking for a new car so I suggested the '02 Millenia P (she is not concerned with speed), called my good friend who is the Sales manager at IRA Mazda (danvers, MA), they are currently offering NOT a $4000 rebate but $5000, and then he said to take $7500 off the sticker (incl. the $5k)...so she now has a fully loaded (Bose, 2 tone white paint, 4 seasons pkg, 6-disc) for a flat $23k??...how does this sound in other parts of the country right now?? Pretty Good or could do better?? any opinions??.....PS, I am also moving with tomek as this site is much too much OVERCENSORED!!!!!!!!
    Good deal...IRA has offered you an invoice or even dipped a tiny bit into holdback to discount the car $7500. with rebates.

Zoom~Zoom
    Rich
  • Took my Millenia S on a roadtrip this past weekend...let my friend (who does not have a lead foot, like me) drive. Usual gas mileage - 18mpg...non-lead foot 21.5 mpg. That was still mixed city and highway driving.
  • I just got a new one......on Sat.....after a lot of negative controversy from people........and after reading reviews from edmonds......but i liked the pearl white,,,,,so bought it anyways.....with Bose stereo system and 4 seasons pkg, pin stripe and side moldings....can anyone tell me how much they like theirs
  • at the risk of causing a war again. I own a '99 pearl/sand mill s and wanted to add eibach's antiroll kit and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this sort of modification and is it worth it. or should I try ordering the front and rear stabilizer bars found on the '01-02 mill s.(would they fit) Any input would be appreciated. Be nice guys!